Doris Day Film Quiz
How much do you know about The Films of Doris Day?
39 Questions -
one for each of her films.
Compiled by Howard Green
1. ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS
What two major stars had originally been slated to play the role that
Doris a movie star?
2. MY DREAM IS YOURS
Who was the character actor in this one who appeared in a total
films with Doris?
3. IT'S A GREAT FEELING
Which song from this one was nominated for an Academy Award
as best song
of the year?
4. YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN
This was a realistic depiction of the life of a great trumpet player. Who
5. TEA FOR TWO
What famous Broadway musical was this film based on?
6. THE WEST POINT STORY
This one co-starred a true film legend who was later to appear with Doris
in one of her best films. Who was he?
7. STORM WARNING
This gripping drama about the Ku Klux Klan co-starred Doris
with one of
her childhood idols. Who was she?
8. LULLABYE OF BROADWAY
A good buddy of Doris, later to appear as a regular on her TV Series,
Doris Day Show, co-starred in this delightful musical. Who was he?
9. ON MOONLIGHT BAY
Doris' handsome co-star appeared in five movies with her. Who was he?
Name one of the four songs Doris sings in this rarely seen film.
11. I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS
What delightful character actress appeared in this film and a total of
four movies with Doris? She also made an appearance on The Doris Day
12. THE WINNING TEAM
What famed politician co-starred with Doris in this baseball-theme flick?
13. APRIL IN PARIS
The director of this one directed Doris in six of her early Warner Bros
Who was he?
14. BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON
This one was a follow-up to an earlier Warner Bros. Success. Name the film.
15. CALAMITY JANE
Name the Academy-Award winning song from this great movie musical.
16. LUCKY ME
What well-known actress made her motion picture debut
in a bit part In
this CinemaScope musical?
17. YOUNG AT HEART
One of Doris' screen sisters in this musical-drama appeared with Doris
in a total of four films. Name her.
18. LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME
What was the name of the 1920s torch singer Doris depicted so well
19. THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
The Academy-Award winning song, Que Sera, Sera made its debut in this one.
Doris sang it in two other films. Name them.
This tense drama was filmed on location in a town that was to be
hometown today. Name the town.
21. THE PAJAMA GAME
The recent video release of this fine musical, which turned out to be one
very best transitions of a Broadway musical to the screen, features a song
wound up on the cutting room floor. Name the song.
22. TEACHER'S PET
Featured a young man in a co-starring role who was later to appear
Doris in Pillow Talk. Name him.
23. TUNNEL OF LOVE
How many films did co-star Gig Young appear in with Doris?
24. IT HAPPENED TO JANE
This delightful 'lost' film comedy was re-released under a different
What was it?
25. PILLOW TALK
How many Academy Award nominations did this breakthrough comedy receive?
26. PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES
This one featured an actress who appeared with Doris
in her very first
film. Name her.
27. MIDNIGHT LACE
This suspenseful, beautifully performed mystery featured a bevy of well-known
performers. The actress who portrayed Doris' Aunt Bea was a great
during an earlier era in films. Name her.
28. LOVER COME BACK
This funny satire of the Madison Ave. advertising world was directed by
the same man who directed Doris in That Touch of Mink. Who is he?
29. THAT TOUCH OF MINK
This big hit comedy featured three well-known baseball players
briefly as themselves. Name them.
30. BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO
A very famous novelist wrote the screenplay for this
underrated movie musical. Name him.
31. THE THRILL OF IT ALL
This comedy, one of DD's very best, was directed by a highly-respected
film director. Hint: He also directed Doris in Send Me No Flowers.
32. MOVE OVER DARLING
Originally slated to be a Marilyn Monroe vehicle under what title?
33. SEND ME NO FLOWERS
Name the very famous musical composing team who wrote the title song.
34. DO NOT DISTURB
This one was released by 20th Century-Fox. What were the other
Doris made under the 20th Century-Fox banner?
35. THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
Funny comic Paul Lynde appeared in this one.
What other Doris Day film did he appear in?
Doris goes to the movies in this 60's spy spoof. What was playing in the
37. THE BALLAD OF JOSIE
This was Doris' second western movie. Name her first.
38. Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?
What's wrong with the title as spelled here?
39. WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL
The last Doris film was produced by the same man who produced Julie.
Who was he?
Answers are below the pic of Doris doing a crossword on the set of
Don't Eat the Daisies".
1. The two stars were Judy Garland and Betty Hutton.
2. The character actor was S.Z. Sakall.
3. The song was the title song; "It's a Great Feeling".
4. The trumpet player is the late Bix Beiderbecke.
5. The play was "No, No, Nanette".
6. That screen great was James Cagney.
7. Doris' childhood idol was Ginger Rogers.
8. The co-star was Billy De Wolfe.
9. Doris' five-time co-star was Gordon MacRae.
(The films were: On Moonlight Bay, Starlift, Tea for Two,
By the Light of the Silvery Moon and The West Point Story.)
10. The songs DD sang were: S'wonderful, You Do Something To Me,
You're Gonna Lose Your Gal (duet with Gordon MacRae),
You Ought To Be In Pictures.
11. The character actress was Mary Wickes.
12. The famous politician was the American President, Ronald Reagan.
13. David Butler directed Doris Day six times.
14. That earlier success was "On Moonlight Bay".
15. The Academy Award winning song was the great "Secret Love".
16. The well-known actress is Angie Dickinson. (She can be seen
if you don't
blink, with dark hair in the party scene at the film's end. )
17. Elisabeth Fraser was the "sister". She also appeared
in Tunnel of Love,
The Glass Bottom Boat, and The Ballad of Josie.
18. That torch singer was Ruth Etting.
19. The two other films in which DD sang "Que Sera, Sera" were
"Please Don't Eat the Daisies" and "The Glass Bottom Boat". Besides
her signature song, it was the title song of The Doris Day Show TV Series.
20. "Julie" was filmed in the town of Carmel, CA.
21. The name of the beautiful song is "The Man Who Invented
22. The young boy was Nick Adams.
23. Gig Young appeared in four films with Doris. "Young
"Tunnel of Love", "Teacher's Pet", and "That Touch
24. "It Happened to Jane" was re-released as "Twinkle
25. "Pillow Talk" received six Academy Award nominations:
Best Actress for Doris.
Best Supporting Actress - Thelma Ritter, Best screenplay (winner),
Best score, Frank DeVol, Best Art Direction, Richard H. Riedel, and
set direction, Russell A. Gausman and Ruby R. Levitt.
26. The actress was Janis Paige.
27. The actress was Myrna Loy.
28. Delbert Mann directed "Lover, Come Back".
29. The 3 famous baseball players were: Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris
30. That famous novelist is Sidney Sheldon.
31. The great Norman Jewison directed this film.
32. "Move Over, Darling" was originally titled "Something's
Got To Give".
33. The famous music team is Burt Bacharach and Hal David.
34. The two other Fox films were: "Move Over, Darling" and "Caprice".
35. Paul Lynde appeared as the hysterical undertaker in "Send
Me No Flowers".
36. The film playing was none other than "Caprice".
37. Doris' first western was the great "Calamity Jane".
38. The title was officially called "Where Were You When the
Lights Went Out?
The word "You" was underlined.
39. The producer of this one was Doris' husband, Martin Melcher.