Doris at Lucille Ball's birthday

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Doris at Lucille Ball's birthday

UNREAD_POSTby CokieCola » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:24 pm

I attended the festivities fashioned around Lucille Ball's birthday, earlier this month, in Jamestown NY. It was a three day event, with different venues centered around Lucy. The "big name" that was there for the weekend was Ruta Lee, who was in many different sitcoms in the 60's, including Lucy's. She showed footage from a tribute that a charity did for Lucy, back in the mid-70's. And, there, standing behind Lucy, looking fabulous in a long white fitted gown was our Doris. I've read that Lucy worked at some of the Actors and Others events, and I'm guessing that she and Lucy became friends through that. Regardless, Doris was absolutely a knockout in that dress and it was obvious that she and Lucy were very fond of one another. I made some photos of the footage of Doris. I will post them, once I figure out how to get them downloaded from this new camera....
CokieCola

Re: Doris at Lucille Ball's birthday

UNREAD_POSTby Daisy June » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Cokie,

I wondered where you had been. Hadn't seen you on the forum lately.
You are right. Doris and Lucy were both working with Actors and Others for Animals. I have read about that several times.

I bet Doris did look beautiful...never really seen her look bad, so photogenic.

Carol
Your GA Neighbor :)
Daisy June

UNREAD_POSTby suzie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Cokie that is so neat.Cant wait to see the pictures of doris at the party. :wink:
suzie
suzie
Forum Big Sister

UNREAD_POSTby jmichael » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 pm

I remember reading a lengthy interview with Lucy that ran in either "Life" or "Look" magazine back in the early 70's. The interviewer asked her to comment on a number of other famous ladies, including Doris, Streisand and Carol Burnett. I vividly remember her response when it came to Doris: "Doris Day? I believe in her." She was not nearly as kind when it came to Barbra. So yeah I think both ladies really respected each other.

That could have gone the other way with CBS positioning Doris as the new Lucy when they hired her.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."
jmichael
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby CokieCola » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am

jmichael wrote:I remember reading a lengthy interview with Lucy that ran in either "Life" or "Look" magazine back in the early 70's. The interviewer asked her to comment on a number of other famous ladies, including Doris, Streisand and Carol Burnett. I vividly remember her response when it came to Doris: "Doris Day? I believe in her." She was not nearly as kind when it came to Barbra. So yeah I think both ladies really respected each other.

That could have gone the other way with CBS positioning Doris as the new Lucy when they hired her.

Michael

That's quite a statement, isn't it? It was really sweet watching this footage at the festival, because Lucy turned back toward Doris several times. Doris smiled sweetly at her once or twice, and once they mouthed words back and forth to each other. It was really great to see two of my idols together!

Blair
CokieCola

UNREAD_POSTby CokieCola » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

carol_bcd wrote:Hi Cokie,

I wondered where you had been. Hadn't seen you on the forum lately.
You are right. Doris and Lucy were both working with Actors and Others for Animals. I have read about that several times.

I bet Doris did look beautiful...never really seen her look bad, so photogenic.

Carol
Your GA Neighbor :)

Hey Carol - I'm still having problems getting on the Forum at home, so I have to sneak and hop online at work to read and post! :lol:
CokieCola

UNREAD_POSTby doris-day-fan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:46 pm

In 1971 Lucille Ball was one of many guest stars at the first Actors & Others for Animals fund raising events...I have my own home movies of both Doris and Lucy at this event and will share them with my friend, Jackie Joseph as she is still one of the long time Board members of A&O and working on the archives.

Lucy and Bea Arthur also were guest stars with Doris at a big fund raising event at Century Plaza hotel - not sure what event that was. Doris wanted Rock Hudson to walk down the runway with her for this special event, but he declined - he just could not be himself before a crowd. Yes, he could play all kinds of roles of other people, but he turned Doris down for this special event. Doris posed for me in some fabulous photos along with Biggest. Great memories of these special times.

Just thought I would share some of my precious memories of my days with our Doris.
"The BEST is yet to come."
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby suzie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:00 am

Mary anne, That is so cool, hey please tell jackie the next time you talk to her that I love the work that she has like doris done for all of the four leggers. Animals cannot speak for on their own behalf so thank God for people like jackie and doris and betty and bea and all the famous people who try and bridge the gap for our sweet four leggers. :wink: Oh, and tell jackie we love her too, just for being her ... :D
suzie
suzie
Forum Big Sister

UNREAD_POSTby Jake Iverson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:47 pm

so interesting. I too heard that Lucille Ball said, "Well, I beleive in Doris Day" I may have read that here a few years back. Would love to see those photos too!
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby Peter Flapper » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi there,

I found a year of so ago some photo's of Doris and Lucy. I've shared them before here, but couldn't find them back.

So here they are again:

P
Peter Flapper
Music Master

UNREAD_POSTby suzie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for the photos peter. Doris and lucy, two great entertainers for sure. And even more special, they both gave of their time and effort and money to help the darling four leggers. :D
suzie
suzie
Forum Big Sister

UNREAD_POSTby jmichael » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks for posting these great pics! You can't help but smile when you see these two legendary ladies together.
What a thrill it would have been to see them work together in a film or even guest star on one of their shows.
They broke the mold with both ladies.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."
jmichael
Honorary Member

Return to TALKING ABOUT DORIS DAY