Doris' hair-do

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Doris' hair-do

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 am

Somehow I think there is a big hairhistory behind our living legend.Doris' hair has always been stylish.What's more,we can all do without having "a badhairday",right?Seeing Doris through the years she can only set a wonderful example of sheer elegance no matter her hairstyle.
Since we all have our preferences of how Doris looks,it seems to me it is a great topic to start and mail in unusual pictures,favourite ones.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day
melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: Doris' hair-do

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Yes, for the record, Doris had fantastic thick, healthy hair.

My favourite style is the short DA style from Young At Heart to Teacher's Pet period.

This is followed by her style in Midnight Lace [wonderful] and Thrill of it All [equally wonderful].

I too love Doris' hair long in the 1940s and just cut slightly as it was in the latter part of 'It's a Great feeling'.

I also loved Doris' hair in Pillow Talk; Daisies; Lover come back; and particularly in Glass Bottom Boat.

My least favourite hairstyle [and Doris' too] is the Gertrude Wheeler [hair WB hairdresser] style from about 1949 to 1952 and I don't care too much for the style in Tunnel of Love/ That Jane from Mayne; 'Where were you when the lights went out' and most of the wigs in 'Move over Darling'.
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby suzie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:45 pm

I love Doris' hair in PDETD, a real soft and natural look. Doris is very true in everything and I never liked the wigs she sometimes wore . out doorsey types look fake in wigs, I actually love the hair cut she sported in her photo with our own Ray the very best, she looks great and natural in that style.
suzie
suzie
Forum Big Sister

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Just a silly question,I am sure you can just answer it in a wink Jas,but as Caprice came after GBB,in which Doris looked so natural,is that a wig in Caprice?
Thanks,Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Most certainly Dorine - which is a shame because I think they [in Caprice] should have used the look from GBB - Doris' own hair and much more natural make up etc.

I realise the look of Caprice is meant to be more stylized and synthetic (than GBB) - however, they could have looked to the more made-up look from GBB (when Rod imagines Doris as Mata Hari).

In some scenes in Caprice Doris looks great - but in all scenes in GBB - I think she looks superb and at least 10 years younger than her true age at the time!
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks Jas,I knew I could count on you!Doris looks so much younger for sure in GBB.
This must have been a trendy thing in the 60's movies I guess,like here on this picture as well,changing to wigs.
Anyway,I am so looking forward to see Lucky me,of which I somehow have great expectations...
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:18 pm

After having seen Lucky Me I now find that Doris looks so natural in the Midnight-lace-period
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes, I think Doris looked fabulous during Midnight Lace- and that hairstyle (above) is one of my favourites of her's.
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby TCMMovieFan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Not to sound ignorant - but what exactly is the 'Gertrude Wheeler' hairstyle ?
TCMMovieFan

Spam Prevention: Yes

UNREAD_POSTby howard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:19 pm

The ones she wore in early WB films like "Lullaby of Broadway" and "Tea For Two."
howard
Special Contributer

UNREAD_POSTby Lauren Benjamin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 am

Back in 1987, there was a Doris Day Convention held in Carmel, CA. Doris attended and gave us the entire day. Only a few of those attending are on this list now - Howard and myself. There were a few others here, but they are gone now.

Anyway, Doris spoke to us for a very long time and then we were able to ask her questions. During the question and answer, she spoke of Gertrude Wheeler, who did her hair back in the early WB years.

She did not seem to like the do's and said that every time she grabbed a mirror and tried to fix her hair, Gertrude would emerge out from behind something on the set and say, "NAUT, NAUT!!!!" Everyone laughed at the funny way Doris said those words!!

You can see videos of the convention by going to YouTube.com and search for "Doris Day" and then "Convention" I think you'll find it. There are 3 videos that I uploaded. Make sure you have the time to watch them, however, because they are several minutes long.

You can see our Handsome Howard talking to Doris in the video as Doris received each person, signed an autograph and talked a minute or two and a professional photographer took a photo with each fan and Doris.

Memorable moments were:
1. She choked up when talking about James Cagney and couldn't continue for a while.
2. They tried to auction off her tear-filled Kleenex to raise more money for animals.
3. She was presented a large check from the entire group for her animal foundation.
4. Ted Nash's wife was there, but Ted Nash was off playing tennis, and did not attend as duly noted by Doris.
Doris told the entire story about how the Nashes decided to move to Carmel and she helped them find a house.
5. Her then secretary - Meg - was there. Sidney Wood was home with the animals.
6. The other gentleman at the podium was a radio DJ from Philadelphia, who Doris had known for many years. Since they were friends, he called her on her birthday and those interviews are some of the best I've heard from Doris - very spontaneous and fun. His name was Joe, but I cannot remember his last name. Maybe Howard can. I think I have those radio shows uploaded to Box.net. I'll see if they are still there.

I'm sure Howard has many memories that he could share also. It was a once-in-a-life time experience. I hope you'll feel a apart of it as you watch the videos. Mike Doyle, who put the convention together used to be the president of her then fan club. He is still with us living in Lansing, MI, and I'm in touch with him often.

Doris looked absolutely gorgeous in a white outfit with "Calamity" type boots with fringe on them and her hair looked fabulous. I think you might agree that we are fortunate that she moved on from Gertrude Wheeler hair dos.

Lauren
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby TCMMovieFan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks for the info.
I now recall that hairstyle----it was short and rather flat. I wonder how Gertrude Wheeler arrived at that particular style.
James Cagney-----now that's yet another major name that has slipped from the USA public conscious. I do think as the years pass-----many of these people are destined to fall into total oblivion and obsurity. Were it not for TCM---I strongly doubt that anyone would truly know the existence of the DVD'S. The culture and demographics in the USA have changed to such an extent that the newer generations have hardly any clue and the current film industry is only interested in touting their own accomplishments---not those of people either gone or retired.
Its the same of the music scene. I fear that 'rap' and 'hip hop' have virtually consigned American Popular Standards to a status even lower than classical music and opera in terms of popularity. Its a shame that the few remaining admirers of this kind of music must go online to have a listen or establish a CD library.....this is especially a problem when driving-----the car radio as it stands is quite useless. Where I live - there is not even an EASY LISTENING station !
TCMMovieFan

UNREAD_POSTby howard » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 am

Lauren, the dj's full name was Joe Niagara. I understand he was a popular dj in the Philadelphia area. He passed away a few years ago. DD was so generous to give us so much of her time that wonderful day in '87. She posed for photos with one and all, chatted with the group, and also gave us a bit of individual attention. It only confirmed what we all knew ... Doris Day is one classy lady!
howard
Special Contributer

UNREAD_POSTby Lauren Benjamin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Here are some photos of the convention on my Shutterfly page. Scroll down the page and you'll see the Convention photos area.

Howard - yes, Joe Niagara. I remember now.

http://dorisdayphotos.shutterfly.com/

Lauren
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:27 am

wonderful to see such a glorious looking Doris.Thanks for sharing,will check out the you-tube bits.
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:14 pm

classy,
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

Dorine- Very classy!
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Thank you Jas for your reaction.This one is classic and classy!
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 am

Love this look from that time,
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Jake Iverson » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

does anyone have any photos of her hair from With Six You Get Eggroll? Without the wig?
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 am

love this look.I have not seen With Six you Get Eggroll,but I will see what I can come up with,
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 am

melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby lovemeorleaveme » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Dorine, you always post the best photos!! :)

I love these so much....I just can't get enough of looking at our beautiful Doris :)

Hope you're having a lovely "Day"!

God Bless,
Rachel
lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 pm

The scene with Doris at the supermarket= having coffee (first time) in the leather coat- also appears to be her own hair (albeit slightly longer than above) - but really lovely. I love that scene where she tells Brian Keith's character- about it being tough brining up a family - although she has a maid who helps...
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks for the hint Jas...I will get the dvd one of these days...and Rachel,I love sharing the odd photo,glad it is appriciated.
Dorine
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Jake Iverson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 am

Jas1 wrote:The scene with Doris at the supermarket= having coffee (first time) in the leather coat- also appears to be her own hair (albeit slightly longer than above) - but really lovely. I love that scene where she tells Brian Keith's character- about it being tough brining up a family - although she has a maid who helps...

It was a "fall" in that late market-first coffee at the drive-in scene.
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Sun May 08, 2011 6:33 pm

love this picture posted by our webmaster today.
love the style of this last one too
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:15 pm

fun picture
melancholy
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Doris Martin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 am

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Back in 1987, there was a Doris Day Convention held in Carmel, CA. Doris attended and gave us the entire day. Only a few of those attending are on this list now - Howard and myself. There were a few others here, but they are gone now.

Anyway, Doris spoke to us for a very long time and then we were able to ask her questions. During the question and answer, she spoke of Gertrude Wheeler, who did her hair back in the early WB years.

She did not seem to like the do's and said that every time she grabbed a mirror and tried to fix her hair, Gertrude would emerge out from behind something on the set and say, "NAUT, NAUT!!!!" Everyone laughed at the funny way Doris said those words!!

You can see videos of the convention by going to YouTube.com and search for "Doris Day" and then "Convention" I think you'll find it. There are 3 videos that I uploaded. Make sure you have the time to watch them, however, because they are several minutes long.

You can see our Handsome Howard talking to Doris in the video as Doris received each person, signed an autograph and talked a minute or two and a professional photographer took a photo with each fan and Doris.

Memorable moments were:
1. She choked up when talking about James Cagney and couldn't continue for a while.
2. They tried to auction off her tear-filled Kleenex to raise more money for animals.
3. She was presented a large check from the entire group for her animal foundation.
4. Ted Nash's wife was there, but Ted Nash was off playing tennis, and did not attend as duly noted by Doris.
Doris told the entire story about how the Nashes decided to move to Carmel and she helped them find a house.
5. Her then secretary - Meg - was there. Sidney Wood was home with the animals.
6. The other gentleman at the podium was a radio DJ from Philadelphia, who Doris had known for many years. Since they were friends, he called her on her birthday and those interviews are some of the best I've heard from Doris - very spontaneous and fun. His name was Joe, but I cannot remember his last name. Maybe Howard can. I think I have those radio shows uploaded to Box.net. I'll see if they are still there.

I'm sure Howard has many memories that he could share also. It was a once-in-a-life time experience. I hope you'll feel a apart of it as you watch the videos. Mike Doyle, who put the convention together used to be the president of her then fan club. He is still with us living in Lansing, MI, and I'm in touch with him often.

Doris looked absolutely gorgeous in a white outfit with "Calamity" type boots with fringe on them and her hair looked fabulous. I think you might agree that we are fortunate that she moved on from Gertrude Wheeler hair dos.

Lauren

Thank you very much..but I can not get it...
Doris Martin
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby melancholy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:13 am

Doris with Gertrude Wheeler
melancholy
Honorary Member

Next

Return to TALKING ABOUT DORIS DAY