Love Me or Leave Me

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Love Me or Leave Me"?

Excellent
89%
Good
6%
Average
No votes
Poor
6%

Total votes : 70

Love Me or Leave Me

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:59 pm

Love Me Or Leave Me
Cast: Doris Day, James Cagney, Cameron Mitchell, Robert Keith,Tom Tully, Harry Bellaver, Richard Gaines and Peter Leeds

Directed by: Charles Vidor
Screenplay by: Daniel Fuchs and Isobel Lennart
Distributor: MGM
Runtime: 122 min
Rating: NR
Year: 1955

Neither a Doris Day musical nor a ferocious James Cagney gangster film, Love Me or Leave Me is a fascinating hybrid. It's actually a slow crawl through a hellish relationship: the girl loves her career more than her man, using him as a loyal patron; he inwardly seethes and takes every opportunity to psychically knock her down even as he helps her to fulfill her dreams. Nightclub-singer-turned-actress Ruth Etting (Day) was "discovered" by gangster Martin the Gimp (Cagney). He initially secures her stage work to get in her pants, but when he discovers her silky jazz voice—realizing her talent and her potential—he falls hard. Though the scenes between them take on the repetitive cycle of domestic abuse and forgiveness, it's a surprisingly complex portrayal of those twisted feelings. Day gives one of her better performances, not relying on her gorgeous body and cute smile. When playing opposite her generous co-star Cagney, her limited acting ability actually takes on a stoic kind of depth. Ruth is given heaps of abuse and limitations by the Gimp, and never asks for pity. Instead, she accepts this lot in exchange for the ability to shine as a singer, where Day is inherently graceful and sexy. Her 12 musical numbers all light a fire, helped by Cagney's eager intensity on the sidelines. If we don't necessarily want her to stay with this corrupt boor, we at least understand her motivation and see how difficult it is for her to weave her way out. Cagney offers not only unbridled rage but also insecurity, shame, warmth, and encouragement in rapid-fire beats, well deserving his Academy Award nomination that year. Ruth and the Gimp were both still alive when the movie was made, and though Love Me or Leave Me has an edge, it does pull punches: When Ruth slips into alcoholism, it never feels ugly enough, Day's crying scenes feel increasingly strained, and the Gimp gets off a little too easy at the end, after attempting violence on the piano player (an indifferent Cameron Mitchell) he believes to be her lover. But the first time the Gimp and Ruth have sex, discreetly offscreen, Love Me or Leave Me shows the chilling moment right before: Ruth falling on the bed, giving in to the inevitable, as the Gimp grins wolfishly before lunging for her. The production values, cinematography, and script are all adequate, the running time too long, and the story too cyclical to rate this one a classic. But it's bold for its time, and the unlikely pairing of Cagney and Day generates bleak chemistry that feels like the worst, most painful kind of love.

Jeremiah Kipp
© slant magazine, 2005.

DVD Review: Love Me or Leave Me

Miss Ruth Etting showing a side of her personality that did not make it into the MGM film.
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Love Me or Leave Me

UNREAD_POSTby Ken » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:57 pm

This movie is one of my favorites Doris did a fantastic job.
Ken
Honorary Member

DVD Review

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Love Me or Leave Me

This title is also available as part of a box set:
Doris Day Collection

REVIEWS

All Movie Guide

One of the gutsiest movie musicals of the 1950s, Love Me or Leave Me is the true story of 1930s torch-singer Ruth Etting, here played by Doris Day. While working in a dime-a-dance joint, Ruth is discovered by Chicago racketeer Martin "The Gimp" Snyder (fascinatingly played with nary a redeeming quality by James Cagney). The smitten Snyder exerts pressure on his show-biz connections, and before long Ruth is a star of nightclubs, stage and films. Ruth continues to string Snyder along to get ahead, but she can't help falling in love with musician Johnny Alderman (Cameron Mitchell). After sinking his fortune into a nightclub for Ruth's benefit, Snyder is rather understandably put out when he finds her in the arms of Alderman. Snyder shoots the musician (but not fatally) and is carted away to prison. Upon his release, Snyder finds that Ruth is still in love with Alderman; he is mollified by her act of largesse in keeping her promise to perform in his nightclub at a fraction of her normal salary. No one comes off particularly nobly in Love Me or Leave Me, even though the still-living Ruth Etting, Martin Snyder and Johnny Alderman were offered full script approval. The fact that we are seeing flesh-and-blood opportunists rather than the usual sugary-sweet MGM musical stick figures naturally makes for a more powerful film. In his autobiography, James Cagney had nothing but praise for his co-star Doris Day, and bemoaned the fact that she would soon turn her back on dramatic roles to star in a series of fluffy domestic comedies.

Hal Erickson

The real Ruth & Marty and Cagney & Day.
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

LMOLM

UNREAD_POSTby Ray L » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:44 am

This is oe of my favorite DD films. Its top acting and singing. Shake those blues away...
Ray L

Love me or leave me

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 am

There is no denying this film was an important land mark in Doris Day's career - I see it that she had finally joined the "grown ups" in Hollywood hierarchy. No film ever had a better score and Doris' jazzy interpretations are top notch. This was the start too of Doris' co-starring with the true greats of Hollywood.
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Deadpan-Diva » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:15 pm

I love this movie. It's not my favorite Doris Day movie but it is definately one of her best performances.
Making wine from the grapes of wrath.
Deadpan-Diva

Woody Allen quote

UNREAD_POSTby joe t. » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 pm

Liz Smith quotes Woody Allen:

“. . . I saw Love Me Or Leave Me with Doris Day three days running when it was first released. And those imprints stay with you forever."
joe t.

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:32 pm

When you see other musical biography films of that time, they are usually so far from the truth. They are made to be funny, and enteraining. Then along comes this gritty film. It is a multilayered film of abuse and love. I saw a picture of the main charachers and wondered, was he really the big gangster that he was portayed to be in this film, or was this put in for Cagney?

The songs and the costumes are terriffic. I rated this film excellent, although this is not one of my favorite DD fims. I can't stand to see women abused in films. I usually fast forward to DD songs.
The Doris Day Show
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Hi

UNREAD_POSTby DorisDayFanatic » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:42 pm

I thought that that Love Me Or Leave Me was supern truly one of the best doris day movies ever produced. The songs were so beautiful, and I thought that she and James Cagney really worked well with each other. I rejoiced when it came out on dvd in April of last year. Such a beautiful touching film, about how young RUth Etting went from a chorus girl to the top.

A tad off topic, but I notice that Debbie Austen was talking about musical biography films and how they are usualyl so far from the truth. A fantastic musical biogrpahy is WIth A Song In My Heart. 50's. Susan Hayward stars as Jane Froman. It is such a beautiful heart warming story, I found myself crying through most of it so sweet and touching, and how Ruth passed through everything like when the plane crashed and she was paralyzed. ANd was so upset and disturbed but her nurse Clancy (magnificently portrayed by Thelma Ritter) convinces her to go out there and get it done. whicj Jane does even though she is paralyzed she manages to stand on platform by being tied to the piano. And sings away as beautiul as ever and it brings a huge tear to your eye when you here her singing With A Song In My Heart. I had never heard of Jame Froman prior to this but trust me this movie is still a heartwarming masterpiece that I highly suggest to all.
DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Mean to (her)

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:16 am

I think Susan Hayward is great but as has been pointed out before, she received several Oscar nods in her time - some for biopics where she mimed to the music. Now Miss Day did it all her self and so gracefully, stylishly and honestly - that is what is annoying about the lack of critical acclaim for her performcances, especially in Love me or leave me.
Jas1
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby jmichael » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 am

This is my absolute favorite Doris Day film. The role of Ruth Etting was the most dramatically challenging of her career and she matched Jimmy Cagney every step of the way. It's interesting to watch how great she is opposite another stellar performer like Cagney. Her singing was absolute perfection in this film.

I wish Doris had made other edgier films along with the romantic comedies. The unfortunate events in her personal life and her innate sensitivity gave her a wealth of life experience to draw from as an actress. I don't think Hollywood (or perhaps Melcher) gave her the opportunities to realize her full potential as a dramatic actress.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."
jmichael
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:17 am

After this film and some of her other early films, (because she was a natural), I wonder how anyone could accept for her a bad director, sub par scripts. But, I think it was because it was easy to make money with her name. If she ever disliked any of her co stars, you could never tell. Her acting was genuine. She always gave 100%.
The Doris Day Show
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:26 am

I celebrated Doris' birthday by watching Love Me or Leave Me again.

On the Ruth Etting website they claim there is a remake on the way. Who are they considering for Doris' part? Jennifer Lopez and Angelia Jolie. I can't even imagine this. It's always a bad idea to do a remake that originally starred screen legends.
The Doris Day Show
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Ken » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:23 am

The remake of Midnight Lace was TERRIBLE!!!
Ken
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:23 am

Yes, Lauren, what kind of left handed compliment is that? No wonder she was compelled to make Julie!

Do you think it is difficult to act and sing at the same time? Everytime I watch her sing I am mesmerized, not only by her voice, but by the way she expresses her emotions through each song. I think she had a lot to do with this picture getting Oscar nominations for best song and best score.

Many people ask why she wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this film. This is my opinion, but I think it had something to do with the script. There has to be a speech or a dialog, that really allows you to show your acting ability. James Cagney has many opportunities and speeches to show off his acting ability this movie. He was nominated for best actor in this picture (and he deserved it). The character of Ruth Etting didn't really stand up for herself, she acted out her emotions in song. I guess you don't get an Oscar for that.
The Doris Day Show
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

LMOLM Triva

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:51 pm

It was James Cagney who suggested to producer Joe Pasternak that he cast Doris Day in the role of Ruth Etting. They had worked together previously in The West Point Story (1950).

According to an interview with Ruth Etting, she never actually worked as a dance hall hostess. This was dramatic fiction, to underscore the song "Ten Cents a Dance".

This was the only time, after becoming a star in the 1930s, that James Cagney ever accepted second billing for a major role. He thought that Doris Day's character was more central to the film's plot, and so ceded top billing to her.

The character James Cagney played, Martin Snyder (aka "Moe the Gimp"), was portrayed in the film as a small-time hood. Ironically he ended up working in the license department in Chicago's City Hall.

Jane Russell turned down the opportunity to play Ruth Etting in hopes of landing the role of Lillian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955). That role ended up going to Susan Hayward, leaving Russell with neither part.

Average Shot Length (ASL) = 15 seconds

Ava Gardner desperately wanted the role of Ruth Etting but MGM went with James Cagney's suggestion of casting Doris Day instead.
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

UNREAD_POSTby Katie » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 pm

In Ava's autobio, she said she was supposed to play Ruth Etting, but she was on suspension...

Ralph, do you know if D was ever put on suspension at WB? I don't reember if she ways this in her book...
- Katie
Katie

UNREAD_POSTby Ken » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:05 pm

I could not see Jane Russell playing Ruth Etting or any other serious role. I never thought of her as a serious actress.
Ken
Honorary Member

No, She Never Did...

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:23 pm

Doris Day was considering not doing "Lucky Me." If she had, she would have gone on suspension without pay. After speaking with her spirtual advisor, she decided to do the film and, as a professional, she put 110% of herself in a movie she hated. But, film is forever. Doris understood that this film would become apart of her filmography and she didn't want to put a bad performance on film to be judged negatively forever. Critics didn't like it much, but they certainly couldn't fault its star!

Personally, I loved "Lucky Me," and I think that she gave a wonderful performance, but I do understand why she didn't want to do it, especially with Warner Brothers bringing MGM's Judy Garland in to star in the lavish and spectacular dramatic musical, "A Star is Born."
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: No, She Never Did...

UNREAD_POSTby bluebird1115 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:13 am

Ralph wrote:I do understand why she didn't want to do it, especially with Warner Brothers bringing MGM's Judy Garland in to star in the lavish and spectacular dramatic musical, "A Star is Born."

STAR was not a WB project, it was a Sidney Luft production through Transcona Enterprises. Doris would have had to have been hired by Luft, Garland's husband, to get that role. WB was only the backer and distributor.

She was right to dislike LUCKY ME. It was a terrible picture.
bluebird1115

Ava etc

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 am

I read Ava Gardner turned down Love me or Leave me because MGM were going to dub her singing voice again and after what she went through with Show Boat - she said no!

Whilst Ava's voice was nice (and didn't warrant dubbing);and was suited to Show Boat ,- it could never have reached the perfection of Doris' in LMOLM.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: No, She Never Did...

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:07 am

bluebird1115 wrote:
Ralph wrote:I do understand why she didn't want to do it, especially with Warner Brothers bringing MGM's Judy Garland in to star in the lavish and spectacular dramatic musical, "A Star is Born."

STAR was not a WB project, it was a Sidney Luft production through Transcona Enterprises. Doris would have had to have been hired by Luft, Garland's husband, to get that role. WB was only the backer and distributor.

She was right to dislike LUCKY ME. It was a terrible picture.

It doesn't matter, "A Star..." was shot at Warner Brothers on a soundstage right next to Doris' "Lucky Me." I have the movie and when it starts you see the WB logo, that's all you needed to throw it in Day's face. From what I've read, WB had a lot to say about the production, even ordering that already shot footage be re-done because WB wanted the film shot in CinemaScope. Most of the publicity shots are those of Judy with Jack Warner, head of he studio.

When I look at "Star" I see extras wearing the same costumes they wore in "Lucky Me." Take a look at Lucy Marlowe, who was in the party scene in Day's film. She looked as if she did a scene in "Star" and then walked across the street to do another scene in "Lucky."
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:59 am

I heard on TCM that Ruth Etting wanted Jane Powell to play her in Love Me or Leave Me (I can't even imagine this). But as we all know D D got the part and MGM gave Jane the part in Hit The Deck. Jane was so upset that she didn't get this break out role, that she went indepentant after Hit the Deck.
The Doris Day Show
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby dayniac » Wed May 02, 2007 5:41 pm

WHY DID SHE NOT GET AN OSCAR FOR THIS MOVIE ? OR.... A NOMINATION ????
She was great in this movie - not only as an actress but as a singer. She sang every type of song in this movie - 20's flapper - broadway star - tough dame - torch singer - love songs ! All fantastic.
I hate that quote that Cagney brought out the best in Doris Day. Cagney knew she could be a serious actress - he asked for her to be in this movie. No one even considered her for the part until he said -" get little Doris Day". I find this a hard movie to watch because of the abusive relationship between them. But, she was truely great in this movie. And, the musical numbers were wonderful.
She deserved an oscar nod for this part.
dayniac
Honorary Member

Love me.....

UNREAD_POSTby Jas1 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 am

Much as I love Ava Gardner, this part was certainly hers for the taking and i am so glad she turned it down - allowing Doris to get it. Ava was livid with MGM for promising she could use her own singing voice on 'showboat' and then going back on this and she was determined never to do a musical again [especially one with so much singing] having her voice dubbed. Actually Ava's voice was really nice, but certainly not in the same league as Doris'.

Interesting the actresses that apparently were offered this part - we have Ava [for sure], and now Jane Powell. Lauren Bacall says in her book she was offered it too as does Jane Russell. I think I read too that it was offered to Lana Turner. Any more? One thing is for sure, they struck Gold with Miss Day.
Jas1
Honorary Member

love me or leave me

UNREAD_POSTby Natalier » Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 pm

I love this film. I like it because it shows a different role from what Doris is normally used too. I wasnt to thrilled when James cagney hit her it wasnt very nice. I love the fact that at the start she is just someone who gets chosen to dance by a fella then she progress into a dancer that scene was funny, then at the end she is a star and she got rid of Marty and got with that piano guy cameron mitchell, cant remeber what his name was in the picture.
but like every movie she has done there is always a happy ending.
Its a great feeling
Natalier

UNREAD_POSTby puck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:50 am

puck
Honorary Member

Remake LMOLM

UNREAD_POSTby Ralph » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:02 pm

"There's an old movie called Love Me or Leave Me that I've been thinking of remaking. Ruth Etting and Marty the Gimp from Chicago. It's a great story."
Jennifer Lopez, 2003 :cry:
"There's something I love, a period piece. There's a problem of who they want to cast. [It's a remake of Love Me or Leave Me, the Doris Day-Jimmy Cagney hit '50s musical drama about 1920s singer Ruth Etting and her mentor/lover, a crippled gangster named Moe Snyder]. A lot of discussions."
Angelina Jolie, 2001
:cry:

Just how do these two women plan to pull this off? Neither could physically pass as Ruth Etting, plus Jennifer Lopez is a weak singer and I don't know if Angelina Jolie can sing. I think they should leave this masterpiece alone.
Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

UNREAD_POSTby Heatherlicious » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Though I've never seen the movie... yet (:P) just clips, I really can't see either of them in that role... I don't feel either of them look or sound the part... :? interesting...
H E A T H E R | Graphics
Heatherlicious

UNREAD_POSTby Debbi Austen » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:16 pm

I read this some time ago on the Ruth Etting web page, and it just makes me cringe.
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Next

Return to THE FILMS OF DORIS DAY