Events for Doris' Birthday

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Events for Doris' Birthday

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Doris Day is getting her own day on Me-TV! In celebration of Doris Day turning 90 years old on April 3, Me-TV hereby proclaims Sunday, April 6, 2014 as 'Doris Day Day.' This milestone will be marked by a special four hour presentation of 'The Doris Day Show' and features seven episodes that Doris personally selected as her favorites from the series.

Please join Me-TV in wishing Doris a happy 90th birthday with 'The Doris Day Day' special on Sunday, April 6 from 3:00-7:00pm ET/PT.

http://www.metvnetwork.com/doris-day-day

(If you come across anything else please post the details here.)
"I'll never get out of this world alive."
webmaster
whatever will be, will be

Re: Events for Doris' Birthday

UNREAD_POSTby doris-day-fan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:32 pm

This just hit the wires and is all over the place including trending on Yahoo....

http://news.yahoo.com/doris-day-plans-a ... oACUbQtDMD

Great marketing tool for sure and I hope all these items bring big $$$ for the four leggers. Would be nice if Doris showed up for the event, but that will never happen....several of us celebrated her 50s birthdays back in the day - surprised her with several and she was all aglow.

Hope everyone going to the Cypress has a blast - wonder how long it will take her to blow out the candles???? That could be a fund raiser, too!

Happy Birthday dear Clara.
Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Excellent, Mary Anne! Thanks for that. :)

I came across another:

DORIS DAY TURNING 90! WATCH AMAZING VIDEOS TO SEE 'PILLOW TALK' ACTRESS' BEST MOMENTS IN FILM

"Doris Day is one of the biggest female box-office stars of all time. Yet more than 30 years ago, the beautiful blonde who is approaching her 90th birthday left her Hollywood career behind her.

Doris Day is, to this day, the number one female box office star of all time, she's the only one who was number one for four years in a row," David A. Kaufman, author of a biography about Day, told CBS News. "That was never true of Elizabeth Taylor, Greta Garbo, Katherine Hepburn, of anyone else!"

The thing the "girl next door" wanted more than anything was to have a family. "The only thing she ever really wanted was to have a happy marriage and a happy family life," Kaufman told CBS. "And it's the one thing she never had. She was married four times, but she was ultimately not happy with any of her husbands."

READ MORE: http://www.hollywoodtake.com/doris-day-turning-90-watch-amazing-videos-see-pillow-talk-actress-best-moments-film-38189
webmaster

Fundraising celebration at the Cypress Inn

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Fundraising celebration at the Cypress Inn

"Screen legend Doris Day is celebrating a landmark birthday with an auction to benefit her favourite cause: animals. The Doris Day Animal Foundation will mark her 90th birthday in April with a bash in Carmel. A sold-out fundraising celebration at Day's Cypress Inn will include a doggie fashion show, adoption event and an April 4 tribute dinner for fans and friends. Items autographed by Day and celebrity pals including Paul McCartney and Tony Bennett will be auctioned off online and at the dinner.

In a statement, Day said she doesn't care much for celebrating birthdays with cards or gifts, inviting fans to help animals instead. As Day put it: "I'm all about the four-leggers." "There is so much work still to do to rescue animals, and to inform people about the importance of spaying and neutering their pets," Day said."

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/4412286-doris-day-to-celebrate-90th-with-doggie-benefit
webmaster

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10 pm

90th Birthday: Cypress Inn Celebrates Doris Day
The movie star's Carmel getaway fetes her big day in big ways.

MOVIE STARS... may become synonymous with particular film genres or eras or style of film-making. Certain fashion trends may be tied to them as well, and even fads, from time to time. Doris Day can check several of those things off her list, given that we love the actress for her sparkly turn in '50s charmers like "Pillow Talk," optimistic romantic comedies that stylishly led the way for all romcoms to come.

But Ms. Day isn't just about those mid-century gems nor romantic banner; she's a co-owner of the Cypress Inn in Carmel and a longtime resident of the area. And, of course, a major animal advocate. Her Cypress Inn and her advocacy have dovetailed over the years, making her property extremely pet friendly and a place that California canine lovers and fans of Doris Day films vow to visit at least once. And if ever the time was ripe for such a visit, it's now: Ms. Day is turning 90, and there are a few treats in store 'round the historic pup-loving property.
READ MORE: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/worth-the-trip/90th-Birthday-Cypress-Inn-Celebrates-Doris-Day-250835651.html
webmaster

More room at the Inn

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm

More room at the (Cyprus) Inn

From The Doris Day Animal Foundation:

"We are delighted to announce that we have expanded, last-minute availability for Doris' upcoming 90th birthday celebration! We have only a handful of rooms at our partner inns open for those of you still interested in attending!

The package includes:

Three nights' accommodation in Carmel by-the-Sea, April 3, 4, and 5, 2014
A commemorative welcome gift bag containing exclusive Doris Day and DDAF goodies and memorabilia
A daily breakfast buffet.

Invitation to a pet fashion show, hosted by the Cypress and featuring some of our local four-leggers and darling pet boutiques.

Live entertainment on the evening of April 3, with pianist Jim Martinez and singer Laura Didier
Tickets to Doris' official birthday celebration dinner on April 4 at the Quail Lodge in Carmel, which will also include live entertainment, surprise guests, a silent auction, and a raffle for a chance to win autographed, personal memorabilia from her own collection.

We are offering very special rates for this event. A single occupancy room for the weekend package is $995. Double occupancy is $1,195. A generous portion of the proceeds from all of these activities will go right to DDAF. Please note, Doris will not be able to attend any of the weekend's events personally, but she sends her grateful thanks for everything you do to support the animals!

To be a part of the memories, please call Fiona Ayers at (831) 620-7450 and ask for the Sentimental Journey package. Space is very limited, and room selection is on a first come, first served basis. Prices include all taxes and gratuities. Please do leave a voicemail if the line is busy, and your call will be returned. As we are so close to the event, all reservations at this time will need to be fully pre-paid in advance, and non-refundable.

We hope you'll consider visiting Carmel to help us celebrate. But if you're not able to join us, don't worry! We'll soon be announcing other birthday activities on the DorisDay.com and DDAF.org websites as we get closer to the date. Be sure to stay tuned!"

All our best.

The DDAF Team http://www.dorisdayanimalfoundation.org

Photos taken at The Cyprus Inn last year on Doris' birthday (by Michael Hadley):

webmaster

UNREAD_POSTby Toby_Martin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks Bryan for posting that article, wish I still could attend. Enjoyed the photos from Michael as well. How much fun is that to have a themed birthday event based on her films?! Pajama Game looked like a lot of fun with every one dressed in their pjs! How fitting as well, that this milestone birthday is Sentimental Journey?
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby doris-day-fan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Loved the CARMEL magazine featuring Doris pictured in your insert. Clint Eastwood's ex-wife, wrote it and it has some really great photos - came out last year or the year before. I was lucky enough to get one. Doris sure is a good draw for Carmel....know things will be hopping as we draw closer to April 3rd and all the celebrations planned in her honor. Aren't we fortunate to have The Girl Next Door in such good health as she approaches this milestone...God bless and keep you, dear Doris. Many prayers are going your way for the best of everything for you always.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby DMMeyer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:07 am

The Carmel Magazine article can still be found at carmelmagazine.com in the archives under holiday 2011
"I love to laugh. It’s the only way to live. Enjoy each day – it’s not coming back again!” -Doris Day
DMMeyer

Spam Prevention: Yes

UNREAD_POSTby Lauren Benjamin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:40 am

Folks~
If you are interested in fans on this forum reading an article about Doris, look above and click on URL.
That is the code that you would use to post a link. There will be a blinking, vertical line that tells you where to place your cursor and then just paste the URL right there. That's all you have to do.

After you hit "Submit," it's a good idea to check your message after to make sure that it is correct. If not, just go back and *Edit.*

There are only two codes that we use on this forum in the message box - IMG and URL. IMG is for posting a photo and URL is for posting a link.

For posting photos, I would suggest http://tinypic.com/index.php. Use the link for *forums.*

I hope this helps.
Lauren
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Toby_Martin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 pm

In honor of Doris Day's birthday, what do you all think about posting a pic of Doris as our profile pic and/or cover photo all day April 3rd, 2014? This would be fun and interesting, and we can tie it into raising awareness for her organization, DDAF. :D
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Don't quite follow that, Toby. Most avatars are of Doris anyway? What about a special birthday topic where people can post 'birthday cards', ie, graphic images. I could set that up - i was thinking about it anyway.

Another nice piece about Doris:

Friday, March 28, 2014

A very happy birthday ...

The other day I promised a "happy" post and, since I have about a 90% record of doing what I say I'm going to do (I have a thing about follow-through), this is it.

By way of background, the reason why this is a happy assignment is because it gives me pleasure to write about something I carry inside me every day. Something that brightens my outlook and gives me pleasure, in part because I know in my head and heart that it's a good thing. Something that brings me joy and, at the same time, an education. Those are rare things these days. Hell, for that matter, any days. I also let you know that it isn't "something", as much as it's "someone".

On April 3rd, Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff turns 90 years old. We all know her as Doris Day. I know her as an extraordinary artist, one that has practiced nothing but good taste, exhibited outstanding skill in multiple fields and, if that weren't enough, has proven herself to be a delightful, compassionate and generous person.
READ MORE:http://listenandthinkoutloud.blogspot.co.uk/
webmaster

UNREAD_POSTby Toby_Martin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Oops I meant post a pic of Doris as our profile pic on Facebook. Sorry!
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:50 pm

Don'y worry, you prompted me to do something I was thinking of anyway:

http://www.dorisday.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4285#p49044
webmaster

UNREAD_POSTby DMMeyer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Time article about Doris with rare photos.

Here, in celebration of Ms. Day’s 90th birthday — she was born Doris Kappelhoff on April 3, 1924, in Cincinnati — LIFE.com offers a series of photos, none of which ran in LIFE, from the late 1940s and early 1950s, when the Ohio native with the winning smile and the gorgeous voice had Hollywood in the palm of her hand.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Read more: Doris Day: Rare Early Photos of a Singing and Acting Superstar | LIFE.com
http://life.time.com/icons/doris-day-rare-early-photos-of-a-singing-and-acting-superstar/?iid=lf%7Clatest#1

Another one I found- Anyone ever read this magazine? Did find out the magazine is available as a nook magazine through Barnes & Noble if anyone has a nook, can purchase just this issue
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/tv-guy/os-doris-day-turns-90-20140402,0,1392271.post?track=rss

And one more-http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/468364/America-s-sweetheart-Doris-Day-celebrates-90th-birthday
"I love to laugh. It’s the only way to live. Enjoy each day – it’s not coming back again!” -Doris Day
DMMeyer

UNREAD_POSTby webmaster » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 am

Great links and info - thanks DM! :)
webmaster

UNREAD_POSTby puck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

Sunday on BBC 4, will broadcast the " The Man who knel too Much" and the documentary, "Doris Day Virgin Territory".
puck
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby daybyday08 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:32 pm

It's a lovely day today!!! Happy Birthday to our dear Doris!! I hope all of you are having fun celebrating!!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique
daybyday08
Honorary Member

UNREAD_POSTby Lauren Benjamin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Thank you so much, Donna. I think that is your name. If not, please correct me.

Those links are great especially the one with celebs wishing Doris a happy-happy, although I don't even know many of them. Thanks for pulling this all together for us.

Lauren
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Return to TALKING ABOUT DORIS DAY