Doris Day has died

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day has died

Unread post by doris-day-fan » 15 May 2019, 20:22

Hi Everyone,
I just want to remind you to please call in a message/tribute about our dear Doris for our upcoming DORIS DAY TRIBUTE SHOW which will air on www.mybnr.com on Friday starting at 3pm Eastern time.
Here are the phone numbers to record your message:
In the USA - dial: 877-577-2630, option 3
Outside the USA - dail: 540-288-4001, option 3
I just talked to Les Brown, Jr., and he will be calling in for this special tribute. We want to hear from all of you, so please make time to call in ASAP so we can get them all in on the DORIS DAY TRIBUTE SHOW on Baltimore Net Radio - it is an internet station, so everyone will be able to hear the show.
God bless dear Doris - she meant so very much to all of us....her light will shine forever!
"The BEST is yet to come."

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 15 May 2019, 20:46

Here is a beautifully written appreciation.

“The Matchless Presence Of Doris Day”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/posts ... is-day/amp

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

texas gonzalo
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by texas gonzalo » 15 May 2019, 22:06

Yes indeed jmichael, a beautifully written appreciation about beloved Doris Day. And "the voice remains," a voice that will forever live in our minds and in our hearts. Texas Gonzalo

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 16 May 2019, 04:02

Yes, fantastic article, Michael, it really captures elements of Doris' fame, talent, and personality that you weren't able to put into words. Thanks for finding it, I loved reading it. :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 May 2019, 05:12

Me too Michael - thanks for posting.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 16 May 2019, 07:13

Well, articles like this give us a lift when we desperately need one, don't they? I want to share the positive whenever I can in the midst of overwhelming feelings of loss. What struck the most about this article is the writer really gets her.

Bryan, please accept my apologies for not commenting on the smashing photos you posted from the UK papers. They are wonderful.

Wow - it seems to me the UK press did a far better job than the US media. Feels like people have forgotten her over here to a large extent.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 16 May 2019, 10:27

Thank you so much Michael for the New Yorker article on Doris. The article is written with a true appreciation and respect for Doris Day. It is comforting to know that there are insightful reporters who understand Doris' magnificent talents and cultural impact. I have shared this article with my family and friends.

Bryan, thank you for the British newspaper coverage on Doris. I was surprised at the clinical and shallow reporting in newspapers and television in Canada and America.. I did not see any interviews on television with anyone who knew Doris or from friends in Carmel. For example, on The View, there was a thirty second announcement about Doris' passing.

Celebrities tweeted their condolences. However well intentioned, it is a sad commentary on our manners and social graces in this time that heartfelt condolences on a person's life and death are communicated in a tweet.

Paul Mc Cartney wrote a thoughtful, caring statement about Doris that in part said, " She was a true star in more ways than one" …"I had the privilege of hanging out with her on a few occasions. Visiting her in her California home was like going to an animal sanctuary where her many dogs were taken care of in splendid style. She had a heart of gold and was a very funny lady who I shared many laughs with. Her films like Calamity Jane, Move Over Darling and many others were all incredible and her acting and singing always hit the mark. I will miss her but will always remember her twinkling smile and infectious laugh as well as the many great songs and movies she gave us. God bless Doris"

Paul's sincere, graceful and heartfelt statement truly honours Doris Day with the same authenticity that Doris reflected in her life and work.

Perhaps in time there will be more genuine statements like Paul Mc Cartney's.

I hope one day there will be a Doris Day Legacy Award instituted by the Academy that will be given to people or organizations that help protect and save endangered animals whether domestic or wild. I believe this would help Doris rest in love.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 May 2019, 14:12

I saw a lovely tributes from Kim Novak and Vicki Lawrence - wonder if Candice Bergen has commented? Or Bryan May ?

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 16 May 2019, 14:40

urfate409

Unread post by urfate409 » 16 May 2019, 21:19

(my first post ) ... Just had to say feeling so sad our girl is gone. I couldn't sleep Sunday night and put Romance on the High Seas in the DVD player. Watched it till after 2am,..then finally slept. At 7:45am my sister called with the News. So sorry Doris passed at 1am.

Thankfully we'll always have lots of songs and films to cheer us. :wink: But missing Doris Day. :?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 17 May 2019, 04:16

Peter - thanks for the link.

Re Ryan's post- I find it heartbreaking and it is causing a lot of disagreement on social media - I wondered when the topic would make it here- I think it is a conversation to be had- but maybe in members area?

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 17 May 2019, 07:21

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic. It has been a great comfort to me.

I love Carmel for reasons apart from Doris, and each week I get the local paper, The Carmel Pine Cone, via email. There is a lovely article in this week's edition with comments from locals including Denny LeVett, the co-owner of The Cypress Inn in Carmel, as well as her grandson Ryan.

I'm not sure how to upload the newspaper, like Bryan did for the UK newspapers, so I'll give you the link to the .PDF file. If anyone can tell me another way to do it, please let me know. Here's the link

http://pineconearchive.fileburstcdn.com/190517PCA.pdf

Enjoy.

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 17 May 2019, 08:40

Thanks for that Robert.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 May 2019, 09:42

Jas1 wrote:
16 May 2019, 14:12
I saw a lovely tributes from Kim Novak and Vicki Lawrence - wonder if Candice Bergen has commented? Or Bryan May ?
Right, Jas, and thank you for sharing this. I thought Novak's comments were particularly touching.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 17 May 2019, 11:10

I didn't see the comments from Kim Novak and Vicki Lawrence. Does anybody have a link to those?

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 17 May 2019, 12:14

Here's another tribute program to be broadcast on BBC Radio 2 at midday on Sunday 19 May GMT. It will be streamed on the Internet. This is the website write-up:

'In tribute to the legendary Doris Day, Michael Ball reminisces on her life and career – and takes you back to his unforgettable interview with the iconic star, recorded in 2011.

The original whip-crack-away girl talks candidly about her movies, her music and her leading men – in an exclusive one-on-one chat that had a lasting impact on Michael, and remains one of his favorite interviews to this day.

Michael says ... "There has only ever been a very few truly iconic movie stars whose talent and image have ensured a kind of immortality. Doris Day is one of the greatest of them all. So to have had an opportunity to talk to her about her life and career when she granted me a very rare interview was beyond thrilling. They don’t make them like Doris anymore, and they never will."'

Link to BBC2 website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2

Don't forget it's London time (GMT)

Robert
"If you haven't fallen in love with Doris Day, there's something wrong with your heart"

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 May 2019, 12:28

This is from Kim Novak’s public Facebook page.

“I want to wish a sad, yet fond farewell to a woman whom I have always greatly admired. Doris Day was a fine person who lived a full life honorably. We always seemed to have a lot in common. After leaving Hollywood, we both chose to make our home on the California central coast—both of us deciding to share our new lifestyles with many of the same four-legged creatures we loved so much. Fly free and in peace, dear friend. May our paths cross again!”

Michael
Michael H

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 May 2019, 12:58

Here’s what Vicki Lawrence posted.

#cocktails with Doris Day...a most special #memory She was my childhood favorite. Such a special #lady #rip Doris...
#carmel #absolut ❤️🥰

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 17 May 2019, 16:30

urfate409 said (17 May 2019) (My first post )just had to say feeling so sad our girl is gone. I couldn't sleep Sunday night and put Romance on the High Seas in the DVD player. Watched it till after 2 am then finally slept. At 7:45 am my sister called with the News. So sorry Doris passed at 1 am. Thankfully we'll always have lots of songs and films to cheer us. :wink: But missing Doris Day. :?
Thanks for that and sorry your post was delayed - I only just spotted it needing approval as your first post. Hope you're sleeping better now. It's had a big sad influence on all of us so thanks for sharing your feelings and welcome to the forum. :)

Robert, you've done it exactly right - you can only make links to PDFs. :wink:

Still missing Doris... I love this cartoon of her from The Pajama Game (with Eddie Foy Jr)

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 17 May 2019, 17:31

Robert, I just noticed (catching up) your tip about the tribute program on BBC Radio 2 at midday on Sunday. Thanks for that, I didn't spot it. I'm not sure if people outside the UK can access the BBC - can you?

This is the direct link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005j5v

"In tribute to the legendary Doris Day, Michael Ball reminisces on her life and career – and takes you back to his unforgettable interview with the iconic star, recorded in 2011.

The original whip-crack-away girl talks candidly about her movies, her music and her leading men – in an exclusive one-on-one chat that had a lasting impact on Michael, and remains one of his favourite interviews to this day.

Michael says ... "There has only ever been a very few truly iconic movie stars whose talent and image have ensured a kind of immortality. Doris Day is one of the greatest of them all. So to have had an opportunity to talk to her about her life and career when she granted me a very rare interview was beyond thrilling. They don’t make them like Doris anymore, and they never will."

I'll download it and share if I can but as Robert says 'It will be streamed on the Internet'' - follow the link above, which says 'This programme will be available shortly after broadcast'."

Didn't Doris say she was a Micheal Ball fan?

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 17 May 2019, 19:05

Hi Bryan,

To answer your question about accessing the program outside the UK, I don't think there should be a problem. Generally speaking radio programs are freely available internationally. I listened to the MyBnr tribute show (from Boston) (mentioned above by doris-day-fan) here in Ireland this evening. When I lived in Germany I used to listen to Irish radio on the Internet. I just tried BBC Radio 2, and I can listen to the current program being streamed without problems.

I think people will be able to listen 'live' to the program, as well as when the broadcast has finished. I don't know how long they remain available, but I just tested a program that was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 last week, and it still worked fine.

I don't know the answer to the question about Doris liking Michael Ball. Perhaps someone else can help?

My sister in England told me about this program. Thanks Fiona!

Robert

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 17 May 2019, 21:43

Bryan - I know Doris said she loved Michael Buble - not sure she even knew who Michael Ball was/ is - listening again to Robert Osborne's recorded interview with her for her 90th [really 92] she had very few lack of recall moments and was on the ball very much - very humble and vital and was able to recall the vast majority of memories of a wonderful career. She sounded great and RO obviously adored her.

urfate409

Unread post by urfate409 » 17 May 2019, 22:37

Thanks for that (name?) Sorry your post was delayed (above) - I only just spotted it needing approval as your first post. Hope you're sleeping better now. It's had a big (sad) influence on all of us so thanks for sharing your feelings and welcome to the forum. :)

No Worries,... I though maybe this was a closed group since it didn't post the next day. But you can go ahead and cancel my account, because I will be off the internet soon. Thanks and God bless you.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 18 May 2019, 17:08

urfate409, I don't close accounts usually so please feel free to return anytime you want to - it would be nice to hear from you again.

I came across this article, which I thought was sweet:

My sentimental journey with Doris Day
By Cal Thomas Published 3:00 PM EDT May 17, 2019

"It was Oscar Levant who uttered the famous line: “I knew Doris Day before she became a virgin.

In a way, it was a backhanded compliment to a woman who represented in most of her film roles an image of chastity and virtue that was once mostly promoted in American culture, though not always practiced in private lives, including hers.

Day, who died last Monday at age 97, became a friend late in her life. The circumstance involved radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh and his mother. Limbaugh had once mentioned how few Republicans and conservatives there are in Hollywood. He said Doris Day was one of them and that she and his mother had become friends.

I had always loved Day’s music and many of her films, especially the few dramatic roles she played, as in “The Man Who Knew Too Much,” co-starring Jimmy Stewart, and my personal favorite, “Love Me or Leave Me,” the story of singer Ruth Etting, co-starring James Cagney.

She even adopted a “duck tail” hairstyle for her role in “The Pajama Game,” which many teenage girls at the time copied in beauty shops across the country. Boys got their duck tail inspiration from other films.

I asked Rush if I could speak to his mother and he gave me her contact information. She called Day, who said she was a fan of mine (who knew?), and would love to meet me. So, my wife and I flew to California and we met at a local restaurant in Carmel and later at her home, where she kept many of her dogs in bedrooms others might have used for their children. She regarded animals as her children.

There we were regaled with the kind of stories I love to hear about show business people. After all “there are no people like show people,” as Irving Berlin wrote.

The most fascinating story was when Doris said she never listened to playbacks of her songs after she recorded them. But then her son, Terry Melcher, informed her that a German company had re-mastered many of her songs and put them in a beautiful box set. He brought the box to her, along with a CD player and left them.

One night after putting her dogs to bed, she went to the refrigerator, poured a glass of white wine, put on one of the CDs “and I danced around the room.” I responded, “I wish I had been there to dance with you.”

As obituary writers and she herself noted, many of the virginal roles she played were not the real her. Married four times, including to one husband who ruined her financially (her son managed to restore her fortunes), she was more a symbol of virtue than its best example. But the same could be said of many of us.

In her songs, every word is understandable, unlike much of the noise that passes for contemporary popular music today. Her songs promote love, kindness and joy. Even the sadder ones don’t seem to sound as sad when she sings them.

One of the great benefits of being part of a profession called journalism is the people one gets to meet. Presidents and other politicians are on my list, but my favorites are the performers because they help people forget everything else and often lift their spirits to new heights of joy and delight.

Doris Day took me on a “Sentimental Journey” from which I don’t think I shall ever return.

On that boxed set of her songs from 1951 to 1955, called “Secret Love,” she inscribed: “Love you, Cal. I’m so glad we met.” Me, too, Doris. Me, too.”

Email Cal Thomas at [email protected].

https://eu.reporternews.com/story/opini ... 697986002/

RobertOClare

Unread post by RobertOClare » 18 May 2019, 18:39

Bryan, I have to agree with you "My Sentimental Journey with Doris Day" is a lovely article. I wonder how many more of us are on that same "Sentimental Journey" from which we will never return?

On another point, in the myBNR radio tribute (for which the sound quality was really bad for me), I heard Jackie Joseph talking about Michael Feinstein's visit to Doris. She says at one point that Doris and Michael shared a kiss and Doris said to Jackie "You shouldn't be watching this!" Jackie must have taken a photo at the appropriate moment, because there's a copy of it with an interview that Michael gave to 'People - Now' magazine credited to her. I think it's a lovely photo, but I'm not sure if it's OK to post it here without Jackie's permission. What's your view?

Robert