Sad News

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Sad News

Unread post by jmichael »

I've added a link above for those who wish to donate to the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead.

This morning, I received a lovely email from Jacques, Bryan's partner of 23 years. Here is what he said:

I am Bryan's partner of 23 years and I regrettably have some bad news for you regarding Bryan. He passed away on Monday 10th August after a short but agressive battle with metastatic small cell lung cancer. It is a terrible loss to me and the many people who loved him.

I have started going through his emails to let those close to him on the forum know.

I have set up a WhatsApp group for his friends which you'd both be welcome to join, people have been sharing photos and stories about their times with Bryan.

I have also set up a just giving fundraising page for the Marie Curie hospice in Hampstead who helped me look after him in his final days.

I can send you the link to the page I have set up.

I have also told Puck and Mary Anne on the forum.

Perhaps you can get back to me and let the forum folk know what has happened to him.

Warm regards

Jacques

Let's keep the discussion going as we continue to process the sad news and share our memories of dear Bryan.

Hugs From Afar,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

RIP: BRYAN
I was totally shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of our dear Bryan....My thoughts and prayers are with Jaques and all who loved Bryan. There are no words to express this loss. I just thank God for ALL Bryan has done for us over the years to keep Doris close to us. Now, Bryan and Doris are together and enjoying a wonderful time....God bless dear Bryan.....still so hard to believe.....

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Micheal for that lovely tribune, I’m still deeply saddened, saw the funeral, and touched by the songs he choice, so Bryan. Still can’t believe it. He was the most beautiful person I know, he did help me a lot, always positive. Bryan didn’t not only create the Doris Day net and forum, but always he put people together, we were his family. And I hope this forum will be saved. Don’t no how, I hope Jacques will found a way.. maybe we could all together collect money...

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Jacques have contracted the Britsh Libery and ask if they would be interested in archiving doris day.net and they say yes. So Bryan and Doris will always with us. thank you Jacques. Did ask him to email Micheal..To post this message, but I did got some time to post it.

jmichael
Honorary Member

puck wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 07:17
Jacques have contracted the Britsh Libery and ask if they would be interested in archiving doris day.net and they say yes. So Bryan and Doris will always with us. thank you Jacques. Did ask him to email Micheal..To post this message, but I did got some time to post it.
Thank you, Puck. This is very exciting news.

I asked Jacques if the agreement included the forum as well. My understanding is the forum links to the DorisDay.net website but it is a separate entity and relies on the pHp88 forum software to keep it going.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover »

Puck, thank you very much for this recent good news about DorisDay.net. Bryan, I'm sure, would be so pleased to know that his efforts will be preserved. He left all of us -- and countless other DD fans and researchers -- a wonderful legacy.

jmichael
Honorary Member

I've just spoken with Jacques.

He is in communication with the British Library and they are very interested in archiving the DorisDay.net website and the forum. They would archive the website and forum as they exist at that point in time and the repository of information stored here would have a permanent home. Jacques says it would be accessible from a desktop computer or a wireless device. All of this is most encouraging news.

The question remains, however, about whether someone would be willing to take the reins of the forum and maintain it after the legacy version is migrated to the library. It would require someone with lots of spare time, a fair degree of technical knowledge and skill, and a passionate interest in Doris Day. It is quite possible it could be continued on the existing software platform but someone would have to research that carefully. It would be a big job. Or someone may want to start a new version of the forum on a social media platform to attract a larger membership and not have to spend nearly as much time as Bryan did maintaining this one.

Jacques was very clear about wanting to do all he can to preserve the extraordinary legacy that Bryan created and he wants everyone to be happy.

If anyone is interested in taking the forum over, please let me know and I will put you in touch with Jacques.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you to caring Jacques and thank you to Michael for sharing such encouraging news about the possible future for the Doris Day Forum. I am sure Bryan’s heart must be filled with joy and hope.

I hope there is someone with a similar passion to Bryan’s love for Doris Day. Being the webmaster for the forum demands an incredible amount of work and technical skills.

We must remain hopeful. This beautiful forum serves as a great tribute to Doris Day as well as honouring Bryan who created it out of love.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I cried, I'm so sad, I don't know what to write! Bryan was my mom's age who passed away in April 2019! So much sad at heart ... It's hard for me to write, my hands are shaking with emotion.

Rest In Peace, dear Bryan! 💖

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Ania,

Yours words are a kind , sweet and beautiful tribute to dear Bryan.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

What a beautiful tribute, Ania.

I completely understand how you feel. His presence is everywhere on the forum. Bryan is the forum. How can he no longer be here? This is a huge loss.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Hi Michael,

If we are fortunate enough to have the Doris Day Forum continue , I feel it would be a appropriate to have a topic celebrating Bryan's life and creative work on this forum.

There are innumerable informative valuable Bryan posts that can be referenced. In a way this could allow Bryan to continue to stay connected to this forum just as we have been able to maintain our connection to Doris. It would also let new members appreciate Bryan's important work.

I would appreciate knowing what other forum members feel about this.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thats a nice idea, Johnny. I like it.

In case you missed it before, here is a link to donate money to the Marie Curie hospice care provider who assisted Bryan during his transition. I donated a few days ago and it was easy to do.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... 7838951819

Jacques has created a memorial to Bryan on WhatsApp where his friends are sharing their memories of him. He has also posted many wonderful photos of Bryan throughout the years. It opens up a whole new world to see how happy and complete his life was.

You can download the app on your smart device. The whatsapp group can be accessed by messaging Jacques on whatsapp. His number is +44750706394 (don't forget the + sign)

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks so much Michael!
Johnny

sihmonSELV

Unread post by sihmonSELV »

With all due respect, a sentence such as this would be enough to scare anyone away from offering their help (which may explain the recent sudden silence on this forum) :
Being the webmaster for the forum demands an incredible amount of work and technical skills.
Surely, it can't be all that impossibly difficult. But in any case, if "we" - as users - have some sort of say, wouldn't it be wiser to assign at least two people - or more - to running the forum? Because, while it's not something anyone of sound mind would enjoy thinking about, it is still a fact that all of us are mortal. Or, of course, something else can happen to anyone, illness or other obstacles, that would prevent a continued involvement.

I'm not up for the task of by myself trying to run this forum, but I would be willing to help if I knew I wouldn't be alone!

jmichael
Honorary Member

All,

Jacques continues to work with the British Library on migrating legacy versions of DorisDay.net and the forum to their archives at some point in the near future. As soon as those plans are firm and a target date is determined, I will let everyone know.

He is unable to log-on to the forum and provide direct updates, so you're stuck with me as an intermediary for the time being. I will do my best to keep everyone informed based on my exchanges with him. At the present time, he is considering the creation of a new forum in Bryan's honor, one that current members could join and continue discussing Doris related topics. This would likely be on a social media platform such as Facebook which members could join for free and it would be fully supported by the social media provider.

He is looking for volunteers to become administrators and if anyone is interested, he asks them to contact him at the following number on WhatsApp: +447507063945

Those are all the updates I have at the moment.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Michael, kudos to you for your willingness to be an intermediary. I doubt there's anyone else forum members would rather be "stuck with"!

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Michael, Thank you for stepping up to keep this wonderful Forum to honor Dear Doris up and running. It has been a huge part of our lives and a real life line, too. It is all still so hard to believe - first we lose Doris and now Bryan - sure hope they are having some great visits in Heaven. 2020 has been a horrible year for all of us, but we will survive. So glad Jacques is doing so much to help with this also. God bless him and all of you for your dedication to keep this wonderful Forum to honor DORIS alive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Wonderful of you, Michael, to keep us informed.
Like Irene Dunne done.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Michael, it is still unbelievable...no Bryan..still hurts.
But he would be happy when his work will be saved, he put so much time in it, as also into forum. Hope they found a way, for the forum. I know Jaqcues is doing every thing.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you so Michael for the updates on our beloved Doris Day Forum. It is sincerely appreciated. I am sure Jacques needs and appreciates this valuable support after losing Bryan.

I hope people will continue to post on the Forum to show their interest and care.

Take good care and thanks again.
Johnny