Sad News

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Sad News

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Peter and Michael. I did not think about costs involved but will now. I stopped posting photos and new topics about a year ago.

I thought no posting would possibly convey no interest. I occasionally post on the Let Us Remember topic.

I love the beautiful photo of Bryan. What a treasure!

Thanks again
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for this beautiful photo. Greatly appreciated.
Hope Jacques has good people around him for support and love.

Peter

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Loved seeing a photo of our great friend, Bryan. Thanks, Michael!
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Hello everyone,

Jacques is moving forward with migrating the forum to the British Library archives. He expects to have a timeline soon and I will share that with you as soon as he has a firm date.

He is also creating a new Doris Day Facebook Group in Bryan's honor and he asked me to collect the names and contact info of forum members who are interested in joining the new group. I think the best and most secure way to do that is for you to email me if you are interested in becoming a member. I have agreed to serve as an administrator on the new page and will be assisting Jacques with setting it up.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I'm so sad by this news! He was such a treasure and a wonderful friend since I was thirteen years old. I cherish all the Doris memories we all had with him. He was dedicated and always welcoming to us all. His knowledge and love for our cherished Doris as well as our thoughts was unparalleled. He will be very missed!!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thank you, Dominque.

The forum isn't the same anymore without Bryan's chipper personality and creativity.

I reached out to Jacques today to see if there has been any progress with the forum migration. Will let everyone know as soon as I hear back.

LATEST UPDATE from Jacques re: the Forum Migration -

He is in a dispute with the hosting platform over the documentation he submitted to transfer the ownership to him. At the present time, he isn't sure when that will be resolved and the migration cannot occur until he has obtained legal ownership. I'll keep everyone posted in the hope that this will be resolved soon.

Michael
Michael H

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thank you, Mike. Kind of you to follow up - much appreciated!
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time because I ran into difficulty with resetting my password after receiving a warning message about a data leak associated with this site. Today, I logged on with my old password because the reset function did not work and the system logged me on with my old password.

The hosting platform is still refusing to grant Jacques permission to migrate the forum to The British Library. He hasn't given up but it's proven to be quite difficult and stressful for him. So, there really is no progress to report at this time, unfortunately.

I hope everyone is healthy and on your way to being vaccinated in the very near future.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you Michael for the update. I keep checking the forum weekly .

We must remain hopeful that the inspiring and important Doris Day Forum will continue. I wish more DD fans would continue to post on Doris' music and films. I certainly miss their commentaries.

Spring is only one month away and the buds are growing on the trees reminding us of new beginnings . 🌱🦋 I hope this year 2021 soon brings everyone good health and life saving vaccinations.

It is great to hear from you Michael. Take good care.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hello all,

Still around, but not posting... Don't want anyone bring in trouble by getting the costs too high. Hope things will work out the right way. It would be very sad to see all the information lost. And I think this site is also a big tribute to all our friends that now are in heaven.

If I can do anything, let me know.

Greetings, and will keep following proces around here.

Peter

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Peter for checking in. It is great to hear from you.

What is the cost involved when someone posts? I would like to know more about this. If any member has information on this subject, I would appreciate knowing.

I would like to hear what the other DD Forum members are doing and their thoughts about the quietness on this forum.

Have a Doris Day!☀️☀️☀️
Johnny

docwheels
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by docwheels »

Johnny:

I assume that most members aren't posting anymore because they may be like me and assume that with the "ownership" up in the air and with a potential transfer to a research library that the forum will for all practical purposes be closing down as an active place to share observations.

I just logged on today to see if anyone had any thoughts about how the new Hulu show "United States vs Bille Holiday" literally has the very first words coming out of Billie Holiday's mouth (1st scene after credits - about 3 minutes into the film) being "would you ask Doris Day a question like that"? With Doris, again, literally having become the entire archetype for popular music in the 1950's.

I'd love it if the forum became more active - because it allows for actual discussion; not just posting videos or music clips - but it doesn't seem that's where things are headed if the forum becomes the property of a research institution. Such a move would likely make it possible for specialized researchers to study Doris more - including "why has she become the archetype that she is" - but my own experience with research institutions is that for non-academics they "protect" information so much that it is almost impossible for regular people to easily access the information.

Maybe others have had this same experience and have just decided to drop off in anticipation of that change???
Johnny wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 13:00

I would like to hear what the other DD Forum members are doing and their thoughts about the quietness on this forum.

Have a Doris Day!☀️☀️☀️

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thank you docwheels for your insightful response..

Being an eternal optimist, I would like to think that whomever takes responsibility for the Doris Day Forum would understand how important it is to her fans. It serves as an opportunity for the Doris Day community to share their heartfelt thoughts and feelings about Doris' work .

Wishing you all the best docwheels in 2021.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Hello Everyone,

I’m still having password issues but managed to log on today.

Jacques has contacted the host platform again but there has been no progress. He told me this morning that he will let me know as soon as he has any news to report.

Wishing you all a healthy 2021!
Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Michael for the update . It is reassuring to hear news regardless of progress.

I really miss hearing from DD Forum members.

Did you see the news about Kaley Cuoco (Big Bang Theory), playing Doris Day in a Warner's television miniseries? The project is based on A.E. Hotchner's book on Doris.

I hope there is a respectful focus on Doris' skillful work in films and music and animal welfare . I hope it is a quality production. I would still love to see a major classic motion picture on Doris' life and work .

I wonder if Doris' authenticity will be realized in this production.

Take good care. Happy Spring 2021.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for keeping up on this, Michael.
Like Irene Dunne done.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for keeping up on this, Michael.
Like Irene Dunne done.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Michael for the update, and thank you for keeping on on this, do miss the other members, but mostly our dear friend, he was the heart of this forum, the motor... it still hurts..every time I’m trying to colored a photo....then I think, I can’t share it with Bryan.... we were a great team in creating the banners. But It needs time to heal.... and these days time seems to run like hell, too fast...