Doris Day GRAMMY Award 2008

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Awards

Unread post by ray »

Liz Smith would have been very happy if Doris had gotten the Special Oscar, she has been hopeing for that for years and writing about it in her column.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

howard wrote:Ralph said: "Unfortunately for Doris, her recording career was practically over by the time the Grammys were born (1958)."

Ralph, what about all those great albums she put out during the '60s? Her recording career was far from over. Granted, she had no chart busting singles after "Everybody Loves a Lover," (with the exception of "Move Over, Darling," but I believe that was only a hit overseas) but still, she was very much a part of the recording scene.

I suppose I meant as far as popular/chart making albums. Yes, she did have some good albums in the 60s. In 1961 when Aretha and Barbra signed with Columbia Records, Doris was the top female star on the label. But, then came The British Invation, Motown's success and music completely changed (chart-wise). It's hard to believe that songs like "This Old House," "Que Sera Sera" and "Hot Diggety Dog" could reach the top of the charts! I remember seeing TV teens trying to dance to that music.

webmaster

Grammy award

Unread post by webmaster »

ray
I danced with Doris!

Grammy Show

Unread post by ray »

Hope every one will be watching the Grammy Show!!! Wonder what the format will be and when they will announce Doris?

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Hoping I'm wrong, but hasn't it been said somewhere that the Grammy's Lifetime awards are "presented" in a "ceremony" the day BEFORE the Grammy show?

And during the show don't they say something like "Presented yesterday were Lifetime Achievement Awards to Burt Bacharach, Doris Day.." etc?
The Oscars do that for some technical categories.

These "awards" shows, apart from the Oscars and Globes, are about Selling Commercial Air Time in the US. Most of the people concerned about today's "music", whether in the theatre audience or in the TV audience, don't know much about Burt or Doris,

The sponsors don't want time wasted; people might tune out and miss the commercials.

webmaster

Grammy award

"On its 50th edition the Grammy Awards board will be giving Doris Day a Lifetime Achievement Award. It's just about time. This is great news... to celebrate such an event I'm gonna post the complete 28 original albums Doris Day recorded during her career as well as some "original" compilations"
http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/20 ... umbia.html

Check this out as well:

http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/se ... oris%20Day
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Grammy award

And, on the same blog, to divert for a minute, I didn't know Polly Bergen made records:

http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/se ... y%20Bergen

(you can download them all.)

webmaster

Grammy award

One final link on the same blog:

CAPITAL SWINGS:

You should download these very rare albums!

http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/se ... ol%20Sings

When the link takes you to Rapidshare, instead of waiting, email me and I'll share my login with you so anything you select will download immediately - [email protected]

Sorry about that - now, where were we? Oh, yes, well Doris definately deserves that award. A mutual friend of Ralph and me, blues singer, Bettye LaVette, who we've mentioned on here several times, has also been nominated for a Grammy - also well deserved, let's hope she wins one!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Strike

Unread post by ray »

Will the Grammy's be called off like the Golden Globes because of the Writers strike?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Isn't it strange what we Daymaniacs think sometime? You know Ray, when I heard about this [and I support the cause and all] all I could think of was 'thank God this did not happen in 1989'! Can you imagine? After years of not making such appearances and then to be robbed of Doris appearing, that would be too much! Anyhow, thankfully not so....!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Bergen Was Big

Unread post by Ralph »

Polly Bergen was HOT at one time. Her story is on the Net. In the 50s, she had a big TV splash with The Helen Morgan Story in which she sang, followed by Bergen Sings Morgan and the other album. She was a frequent TV guest star and was starring in films. A former band singer, she sees the parallel in her background and Doris Day's.

Later, she had a tremendous success on Broadway in "Follies." This was, of course, after she co-starred with Doris in "Move Over Darling."

webmaster

What was the topic again?

She looks pretty hot there! :oops:

And now a word from our sponsor:
You can download these albums to celebrate Doris getting a Grammy:

HERE:
http://singinandswingin.blogspot.com/se ... oris%20Day

PS: Ralph, anyone, do you know if they got on? Did they like one another?

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Polly Bergen sang? Who would have thought! Having only known her by her hysteric hollers in "Move over darling", that's the last thing I would picture her doing. "Nicholaaas". Jesus, are you sure it's her? :lol: I will dare to d/l the album and listen for myself.

Back to the Grammy's, I'm also thrilled for Burt Bacharach [and secretly wish Doris would recieve her award in person].

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Oh - she definitely sang. And nicely - I think. I remember as a child seeing her on 50's variety tv shows singing. If you haven't seen her in other movies -- check out Cape Fear with Gregory Peck ( the original and MUCH better version ) She's quite good.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Well she has a fine voice after all! I enjoyed her "You'll never know" which is a favorite of mine. As for "Cape fear", thanks for the suggestion Toni; always on the look out for a good movie, I'll look for it asap. Ok this blog has some great albums up. May I suggest another...

:arrow: Barbra Streisand - Je m'appelle Barbra
Worth listening to, if only for "Martina", "Free again" and Barbra's very own "Ma premiere chanson".

webmaster

In no particular order, "Cape Fear" - stay away from it! Too violent and scarey plus the remake with Robert De Nero. Watch Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" - fantastic! (I got the special edition of that plus "Dumbo" from a friend at Christmas. I'm sending out all the wrong signals!)

Barbra (which sounds like a feminist statement 'Bar Bra(s), but that's her, is great and has a number of fans on here I discovered when I said something critical :lol: I love Funny Girl, that was a tour-de-force or whatever they call it. She didn't have the same staying power (film wise) as Doris. Maybe she was too big a star already. But I do love certain songs, apart from the ones from Funny Girl, 'People', 'Why Did I choose You? (reminds me of a special relationship :oops: ).

I've downloaded the Polly Bergen album but haven't listened yet.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Well - if you're talking about the De Niro - Cape Fear, I'd have to agree with you. It was too much. The old one is very supenseful - a couple of scenes are violent. I like the old one. And Bergen was very good in it. I'd say be brave and give it a try.

I used to be a great fan of Barbra's --- I still think her talent is tremendous. But - I lost interest in her when she felt the need to get her political message out there instead of her talent. That is a big turn off for me. What happened to the old days when performers (for the most part) kept their political agenda to themselves ?

As long as we're suggesting Disney -- I've always been a sucker for Hayley Mills in the Parent Trap !! :)
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I like the "Parent trap" too Toni, one of my favourites. I love Maureen O'Hara, such a wonderfully talented actress. The actor who played opposite her, wasn't that the same actor who played opposite Doris in WSYGER?

One of my favourite films with Maureen O'Hara in is "The Quiet Man" I've watched it several times now. The scenery is beautiful, I love the quaint old Irish customs, howling winds, the songs, and the line " playing patty fingers in the Holy Water" Oh and that old guy who gets out of his death bed to watch the big fight! A brilliant film, for those who have never watched it.

I could never bare to watch "Dumbo" more than once, I find it too sad...never could watch "Bambi" either, way too upsetting for me! I hate watching films that make me feel sad, probably explains one of the reasons why I like watching Doris' films...they mostly always end on a high! :D

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Sheila, I agree about 'The Quiet Man' - a wonderful film.

Other favourites of mine [not Doris ones]= 'The Apartment' [Jack Lemon & Shirley MaClaine]; Hithcock's 'To Catch A Thief/ North by Northwest/ Rear Window'; 'The Bishop's Wife' & 'Bell Book & Candle' & 'Gilda'.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

So, we were looking for a movie to watch yesterday night and guess what - "Cape Fear" (the original, 1962, version) just happened to catch my eye. :lol: I found it quite good (of course I find anything with Gregory Peck in it, quite good). It's a great suspense film and, although by today's standards it's neither very scary nor violent, it must have been very daring for its time [I wouldn't however try the remake even though I'm curious to see Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum in it (and I'm sure DeNiro is exceptionally... terrifying) but Jessica Lange simply spoils it]. The thing with me is I can watch and enjoy anything and everything, from western/adventure/thriller/film noir to musical/romance/comedy or drama and from war/history to sci-fi and animation... you name it. Which brings us to Bryan's suggestion of "Alice in wonderland", which is really a favorite and in fact I last watched it just before the holidays.

As for Barbra... I discovered and loved her long before Doris and, with a bit of exaggeration, she's the one responsible for my interest in Doris too... in the sense that through her I was introduced and got interested in the american (or english) music (and film) scene of the past, not many years ago. It was a huge discovery for me, I was and still am flabbergasted. Toni, I've 'met' a few people who feel the same way with you but I'm [mostly because I've little, if any, contact with the US politics] among those who just stick to her artistry and, god, is it something else.

I just paid attention to this: "to celebrate such an event I'm gonna post the complete 28 original albums Doris Day". It practically solves my one problem with Doris - that I can't find any of her cd's in the stores. Groovy! Have a Doris day and a very merry unbirthday, everyone!

webmaster

A slight diversion re Mr G Peck of Hollywood, USA. I've always been a big fan of his from "The Big Country" to "The Omen" - too many films to mention. One of my favourites is "Spellbound", which I've mixed with a track from a band I know, The Real Tuesday Weld:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjvP-Wr64l4

www.tuesdayweld.com

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Miss Maxwell - glad you liked the old Cape Fear. The thing I REALLY dislike about the new one is - none of the family (Lange, Nolte,Lewis) are in the least bit sympathetic characters. That's the point they completely missed in this version. When I watch it - I could care less what happens to them ! If you don't care what happens to them there's no point to the movie !!

Gregory Peck is one of my favorites also. My #1 favorite movie of all time is To Kill A Mockingbird. There are so many Peck films that are on my list - Gentelmens Agreement, 12 O'clock High, Roman Holiday, The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit, Moby Dick, Spellbound.... he's so good.

Yep - that was Brian Keith in Parent's Trap with Maureen and Hayley.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Doris and Bettye

Unread post by Ralph »

As far as Grammys are concerned, Bryan and I have two things to celebrate: Doris Day is being honored and our dear friend, Detroit diva, Bettye LaVette is nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album ("The Scene of the Crime"). LaVette is up against Eric Clapton, but I'm hoping she beats him out.

Bryan also is her webmaster, check out the wonderful site he created:
http://www.bettyelavette.com

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Miss Maxwell, good to see another fellow Barbra appreciater here. One of my favorite tracks on Je M'Appelle Barbra is "I've Been Here." Such an incredible final line (lyrically and vocally). I also love "Once Upon A Summertime."

Very sad that Barbra lost interest in her film career. But then who ever figured she'd return to the concert stage. I've been lucky to see her twice in concert, in 1994 and 2006.

I know a lot of people feel that way, but I've never agreed with the belief that celebrities shouldn't express political views. In my opinion, they're citizens the same as all of us, and no more or less educated or knowledgable politically than anyone I know personally. Why shouldn't they speak their mind? I wouldn't want people telling me that I had no right to express my political views publicly. That's a core principal that the US was founded on. In fact a good friend of mine confided that he JUST found out at the age of 50 that "Congress" refers to the two houses. He always thought there were three: you were a Representative, a Senator, or you were a Congressman. :lol: I couldn't believe it! And this is a man who NEVER had a shortage of political opinions (all conservative) to express. I told him he lost all right to have his opinions ever taken seriously by me again. :lol: Just about every celebrity I've ever heard talk had more political knowledge and sophistication than he. :wink:

I totally agree about the original Cape Fear and the remake (which bored me to tears.) There are times when De Niro can be awesome, and others when he can be almost a caricature of himself, and that was one. I also agree with Dayniac that none of the characters in the remake were in the least little bit likeable.

Jas1, The Apartment is such a great film. The writing, acting & directing are just superb. I also really like Bell Book and Candle. Great cast.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Babs Streisand

Unread post by Ralph »

I've always thought it rather strange that Barbra Streisand didn't make more films during her career. Since 1968 she's only made 17 films. Doris Day made 17 pictures in her first seven years in films.

Shirley MacLaine's career has been similar to Bette Davis'. Both played young leading ladies, then middle-aged women and then "older" types. The difference is that Shirley never made any horror movies.

In Barbra's case, I could understand if she was "picky" about parts, but she's made some unwise choices. I think the best thing I saw her in was "Nuts." Great performance. Her musicals, I didn't like because she's lousy at lipsyncing. I understand that 20th Century Fox was so disappointed with her work during the filming of "Hello Dolly, they were discussing calling Doris Day and asking her to replace Streisand.