Doris Day GRAMMY Award 2008

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Karen: yes, Doris said that Lauren and Kirk both made her feel like an outsider on the YMWAH set. It was not a happy experience for her.

As for Mamie Van Doren, she was a real press-junkie. Anything to get herself talked about. I mean, she even created her name from two of the biggest headline names of the 1950's. I guess when you have marginal talent you do what you can do.

Ralph, you are right: billing is money, power & prestige. However, technically, S. Boyd, James Garner, Robert Morse and Rod Taylor did not have equal billing with Doris at all. They were billed above the title, as she was, but she received the first and solo credit title card on each of their films. She was top-billed, and billed alone. That is VERY important in the industry. All peolple who appear above the title are not considered equal. When two stars would each refuse give up the solo, top spot, you began to see equal billing, like Paul Newman and Steve McQueen in The Towering Inferno, where their names appear on the same credit title card, one above and to the right, because (the wisdom goes) people read from top to bottom, but also from right to left.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

BILLING

Unread post by Ralph »

Obviously Doris was involved. Marty had to present her scripts to read but when she balked, he'd reveal, "I already signed for you to do it." Can you image how she felt after reading "Do Not Disturb?" Here she was, the #1 boxoffice star and her husband was signing for her to work in substandard films.

She even wrote in her book that with scripts like those, there was only one way to go -- DOWN. And down she went.

As I recall, in GBBoat, Day, Taylor & Godfrey were listed above the title. In Pajama Game, it was clear in the ads and the screen credits that Doris Day got sole star billing. One would think that after Love Me...Leave Me, she would have never allowed character people like Frank Lovejoy, Barry Sullivan to have billing above the title with her and Louis Jourdan! She never allowed Gig Young the billing Tony Randall got and he also made three films with her. Tony was a second male lead and so was Gig.

Also surprising was Jumbo. Neither Jimmy Durante or Martha Raye were big in films at the time. Only Boydwas considered hot after Ben Hur, but his only top billing were in a couple of "B" films, "Lisa" (1962) with Dolores Hart; "The Big Gamble" (1961) with Juliet Greco and the posters below represents the major films in which Boyd appeared shortly before JUMBO. Notice, he was listed 8th in "Island...Sun" (1957) and wasn't even listed on the poster! Tell me, how does Boyd rate getting his name right under Doris Day's? In my opinion, JUMBO's billing should have been: Doris Day in JUMBO co-starriing Boyd with special Guest Stars, Jimmy Durante and Martha Raye. You will notice that Gregory Peck made sure his sole star billing was evident over Boyd and Joan Collins!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

Jas1 wrote:Bryan I disagree, most [or all] of the instances you cite have never been verified by anyone other than those who state them. Of course Doris Day is human, of course she is not saint, however, she is not a spoiled badly behaved 'star' and never was! If she were, don't you think stories about someone of that magnitude would have surfaced before now? Did the likes of Mamie Van Doren ever comment about Doris' so called bad behaviour in all the years following TP =before she was plugging a book? I stand to be corrected but my view is the absolute lack of such stories about Doris Day speak volumes!
Finally [on this issue] 'even if the examples you state are true' [and we may never know] - if this is the most Doris Day did to upset others in a career that spanned decades and reached the heights most could only dream of; then in the movie world she is almost saintly!!!!!
There is probably a lot we haven't heard. Most people who have worked her describe her as a "total professional." I'm sure she, like all other actresses, argue or disagree with directors; have problems with co-stars, etc. She had to keep Frank Sinatra and Marty apart on "Young at Heart" and then Sinatra insisted Melcher be barred from the set. We don't know if Day complained about Ray Bolger or it was the director's call that he was mugging unnecessarily in his scenes with Day. Doris' distaste for Mamie was so strong, she couldn't stand looking at her film her bump 'n grind scene. Day reacted to a stand-in for Van Doren. I don't think that Day had any problems with Bacall. There is a picture of them sitting in a nightclub together at a nightclub where Frank Sinatra was appearing.

On Barbra. Her behavior was considered downright rude by the crew, directors and co-stars. Nobody likes getting yelled at, least of all somebody like William Wyer, who had directed stars to Academy Awards! Walter Matthau stated he'd never make another picture with her, etc. When you get a reputation, people won't work on your films. Kim Novak was as notorious as Marilyn Monroe, but in a different way. She threw temper tantrums and refused to come out of her dressing room, etc. Gregory Peck refused to co-star with Kim because of what he'd heard.
Some male stars didn't want to work with Doris because no matter who her co-star was, it seemed she dominated and picture in which she appeared. I've always wondered why Day refused to co-star with Danny Thomas a second time. "I'll See...Dreams" was really about him and "The Jolson Story" would have been more of the same -- I suppose that's why. But it was reported that Day was "upset" when Peggy Lee was brought in the replace her in "Jolson."

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Ralph, you seem to be totally forgetting that billing is also based on the specific part the actor plays in the film in question: it is totally customary for the male lead to be billed above the title. That has nothing to do with the fact that the same actor can be billed below the title when playing a SECOND MALE LEAD or SUPPORTING role. The character Boyd played in IITS was not the male lead.

As I said all actors billed above the title are NOT equal. Doris never received equal billing with any costars in the 1960s, ever. Always solo billed, even if second billed.

RE: Gig vs. Tony, Doris has said repeatedly that Tony was an essential ingredient in the team, the team being a 3-way partnership: Day, Hudson, Randall. Hence the billing above the title with her and Rock. The same is not true of Gig, despite his wonderful performances in the four films they made together.

As far as Babs "yelling" at Wyler, despite what stories many people insist happened, they actually got along very well on the film and remained friends. Even Anne Francis has admitted recently that she exaggerated (and that some statements were "taken out of context") when she talked about Barbra and her behavior back then. She has since apologized to Barbra in a magazine article she wrote. Vincente Minnelli stated that Yves Montand outright lied about Barbra's behavior on the set of On A Clear Day. Walter Matthau also stated years later that he was as much to blame as Barbra for their on-set blowups. He said he did not behave like a gentleman, which only added to the pressure thay were all feeling. Again, they made up and he was later spotted (and filmed) attending some of her concerts.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Billing

Unread post by Ralph »

John M wrote:Ralph, you seem to be totally forgetting that billing is also based on the specific part the actor plays in the film in question: it is totally customary for the male lead to be billed above the title. That has nothing to do with the fact that the same actor can be billed below the title when playing a SECOND MALE LEAD or SUPPORTING role. The character Boyd played in IITS was not the male lead.

As I said all actors billed above the title are NOT equal. Doris never received equal billing with any costars in the 1960s, ever. Always solo billed, even if second billed.

RE: Gig vs. Tony, Doris has said repeatedly that Tony was an essential ingredient in the team, the team being a 3-way partnership: Day, Hudson, Randall. Hence the billing above the title with her and Rock. The same is not true of Gig, despite his wonderful performances in the four films they made together.

As far as Babs "yelling" at Wyler, despite what stories many people insist happened, they actually got along very well on the film and remained friends. Even Anne Francis has admitted recently that she exaggerated (and that some statements were "taken out of context") when she talked about Barbra and her behavior back then. She has since apologized to Barbra in a magazine article she wrote. Vincente Minnelli stated that Yves Montand outright lied about Barbra's behavior on the set of On A Clear Day. Walter Matthau also stated years later that he was as much to blame as Barbra for their on-set blowups. He said he did not behave like a gentleman, which only added to the pressure thay were all feeling. Again, they made up and he was later spotted (and filmed) attending some of her concerts.

I know that somebody's name has to go first, but when you get James Cagney and Barbara Stanwyck appear in the same picture, decisions must be made. Cagney had more hits than Babs, so his name goes first, but hers is in the same font and size as his.

If you look closely at billing, you can figure out the "whys and whats." Even in families, billing is important. Jessica Tandy always got billing over her husband; Some stars, like Bette Davis, even playing a supporting role in "Where Love Has Gone" insisted on equal billing, above the title with Susan Hayward, the star, and got it. There was battling for months about billing with Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis in "Boeing Boeing."

Look at "I'll See...My Dreams." Danny Thomas had the pivitol part, but Doris Day got top billing, same with Ronald Reagan in "The Winning Team," because she was a bigger star and WB knew it. When Day made "Storm Warning," she was still relatively new, so she got third, but equal billing with her other co-stars, Ginger Rogers, Reagan, Day, Steve Cochran.

Viven Leigh, when she couldn't get billing over Bette Davis in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" turned it down, reasoning, to save face, "I couldn't bare looking at Bette Davis every morning."

Actually, in "Island In The Sun," there was no "male lead." It was an ensemble piece. But, with Boyd's movie past, I can't see where he deserved to share equal billing with Doris. Day was so powerful in the 60s, she didn't have to elevate Rod Taylor to co-star status. James Garner had gotten equal/second billing to Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape," third/equal billing in "The Children's Hour" and second/equal billing in "Boys Night Out" with Kim Novak right before getting equal/second billing to Doris in "The Thrill of It All."

Something interesting about Rod Taylor. He got top billing in "The Birds." But his next picture, "A Gathering of Eagles," Rock Hudson got sole star billing above the title, with Rod below the title, "co-starring." His next picture, "The VIPs", he got sixth billing with Liz Taylor/Richard Burton/Louis Jourdan above the title. Next, he got third/equal billing with Cliff Robertson, Jane Fonda in "Sunday in New York." Next in "Fate Is The Huner" he got third/equal billing behind Glenn Ford/Nancy Kwan; third/equal w/ James Garner/Eva Marie Saint; top billing in "Young Cassidy"; top/equal billing w/Trevor Howard in "The Liquidator." Then, second/equal with Doris Day in "Do Not Disturb."

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Grammy

Unread post by ray »

Any newspaper or magazine mentions about Doris and the Grammy Awards? Maybe Monday after they are announced. The writers strike stoppped the show, when will the strike end? USA Today had no mention of Doris today and it should have. I hate when they ignore Doris this way!

TJ

Help! Question

Unread post by TJ »

Can someone direct me to the link that the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Awards would be available to listen online?? I do believe it was in this forum, but I've looked high and low. I'm hoping to be able to listen online.

Thanks,

Tammy

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Ray, the writers' strike didn't stop the Grammy's. They're going on, and being broadcast live on CBS on Sunday night. And rumor has it that the strike may be settled this weekend. The WGA has a big membership meeting tomorrow night to go over the proposed new contract.

TJ, you can watch the Grammy show at www.grammy.com. Doris' field is being presented in a special pre-show tomorrow (Saturday the 9th.) You can see it starting at 1:00PM Pacific Time tomorrow.

Here's a link to the official Grammy site:

http://www.grammy.com

TJ

Members Only?

Unread post by TJ »

John,

Thank you so much for that information. I went to the site, but was prompted to "log in" and was subsequently told that it was for "members only". I needed a Recording Academy member number. Sigh....might you know of any work around so that I could view/listen to the pre-show where the Lifetime Achievement Awards will be shown?

Thanks again,

Tammy

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Hi Tammy:

Actually you don't need to log in to view the broadcast, but you do have to download something called Microsoft Silverlight, which took less than 30 seconds on my computer.

However, I was wrong in that the pre-tel show webcast, is NOT today's awards (with Doris' award), but the pre-show awards given out tomorrow, before the TV show starts. They have so many awards to give that only the most important are done on the air. So that webcast is free to anyone and starts at 1:00PM Pacific Time, but on SUNDAY, not Saturday, as I originally stated. Sorry about that.

I can't find any info about where to see today's awards. I'll keep looking though.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

I looked for a link for today's awards too but since there's not a single mention on the site, I guess they're obviously not showing them. Meanwhile I came across the list of the past Lifetime Achievement Award recipients - it's an interesting list that just screams "Doris Day should've been on here for - not even years but- decades now". Click HERE to view the past recipients.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

From Thursday's Variety, Awards Edition:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout ... 1117980410

Nice!

I wonder who's picking up the award on her behalf (if anybody.) And I certainly hope that tonight's event gets more than a mere passing mention on tomorrow's broadcast. Hopefully each recipient will get a little video montage of their own.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Here's the Grammy.com news item about last night's Lifetime Achievement Award presentation at the Wilshire Ebell Theater here in L.A. It rightfully calls her a living legend of both Hollywood and the music industry. On Doris' behalf, it says she sent a letter that was read.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/New ... tegoryID=1

Ken
Honorary Member

Grammy

Unread post by Ken »

Thank you John for keeping us informed.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

grammy

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Thankyou very much John... :)

KarenSev

Gtammy Awards

Unread post by KarenSev »

Tonight, during the award ceremony, Doris was honored by Tony Bennett for her Lifetime Achievement Award. It was a delight to see them honor her, along with the other winners. Here's a toast to Dear Doris on a career well done! What a great night for Ms. Day!
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Here (CLICK) is a quick rundown of yesterday's Awards just as they happened.
As you will notice Doris was the last of the 6 Lifetime Achievement A. recipients - not accidentally, I'd like to think. Also her Award was presented at a very good point in the show, after Amy Winehouse performed, which for me would be the most interesting part of the show (if I was watching that is) and before she got her Record of the year Award. It's also great that Tony Bennett was the one presenting. Wonder if there was a video? Karen or anyone who watched could enlighten us.

JohnM thank you for the link -
A living legend from the golden era of both Hollywood filmmaking and popular music, Lifetime Achievement Award honoree Doris Day sent a letter that was read by Recording Academy President/CEO Neil Portnow. The performer of "Que Sera, Sera" and countless other standards stated that she considered herself blessed because she was able to work with some of the most talented people in the music business.
I'd like it if we could read the whole letter but from the sum up above you just can tell it was pure modesty and unpretentiousness. I'm so happy for this award and, I'm sure, more excited about this than Doris herself. It is just so great and satisfactory when credit is (finally!!!) given where most due.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Found it! They did show a clip with pictures, to the tune of 'Que sera sera' after all! You can watch it HERE - Click. It's after Amy's performance so you'll have to wait till minute 06:00.

webmaster

Grammy

Unread post by webmaster »

That was great, thank you. (If you don't want to wait 6 mins you can move the slider forward but Amy puts on a good performance.)

Sorry Bettye LaVette didn't get one. :(
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Excellent! thanks for keeping us so well informed everyone. :D

That is sad Bryan, from what I have seen Bettye LaVette deserves to be acknowledged for achievements.

joe t.

Magnificent!

Unread post by joe t. »

Yes, it was perfect that Tony Bennett and Natalie Cole presented the award to Doris.

I choked up when Tony said "THE MAGNIFICENT DORIS DAY". I was also happy with where her award was placed in the show (which was quite good overall I thought).

Thank you Tony and Natalie.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, it was great where they placed the award. And great that Tony Bennett and Natalie Cole announced it.

BUT, I gotta say, how sad is the state of music today... :roll:

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

doris day grammy

Unread post by Doris Martin »

:D :D Thankyou every body for doing such a wonderful job. I had a terrible day... but when I came back and saw Tont and Doris everything when spedeely away. I love you all Marti

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

It was a happy moment when two of my favorite singers, Tony Bennett and Natalie Cole made the presentation. I must admit, however, I was beginning to boil over by that time. Throughout the show, they made the presentations, and it seemed like they were presenting in alphabetical order. The Band, Cab Calloway, Earl Scruggs, etc. I thought they missed Doris, and I was getting very agitated. But then, out came Tony and Natalie, and I was hoping it was Doris' turn. Yippeee, it was! I felt a lot better at the point!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Great Night for Doris!

Unread post by Ralph »

Howard:

I thought that I had missed Doris Day's part (I got a phone call). When Tony Bennett and Natalie Cole came out, I knew it was time. They saved Doris for a special spot in the show!

Tony had problems reading the monitor and didn't pay Natalie her props -- she understood. How fitting to have these two to present Doris her award. We know that Day had known Nat "King" Cole (and probably met Natalie early on) and been friends with Bennett. I was even pleased with the pictures they chose of Day, but wouldn't it have been great for the two to sing snippets of the songs Doris introduced like "Secret Love," "When I Fall In Love," "Sentimental Journey," "It's Magic," "If I Give My Heart To You," "Teacher's Pet," "Que Sera," "Everybody Loves A Lover," etc.?

My friend, Bettye LaVette lost out to Eric Clapton, but she said in jest (being a political junkie) "I may have lost the election, but I won the popular vote." So many newspapers and music critics had predicted a win for her.