Doris Day GRAMMY Award 2008

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jboy4day
Forum Friend

Burt Bacharach and Doris....what a coincidence!

Unread post by jboy4day »

Jack Nitzsche said in an interview that Burt B and Hal D had written the song for "Send Me No Flowers". Burt B found out that Terry Melcher was using Jack for the arrangement and sent Jack a note asking that he make it sound like the girl group of the time (Crystals I think). Doris was interested very much in doing rock stuff according to Jack and so his arrangement was very much as Burt B wanted it to be. Then enters Darth Vader (Marty Melcher and his croanies). Jack N said they went ballistic when they heard it! A few weeks later while recording the Sentimental Journey album I believe it was, the new arrangement for the song was done by Mort Garson and recorded as we hear it today. The original first recording, according to Terry and Bear Family, is misplaced or destroyed. Who knows? Thanks Marty Melcher! Someone needs to talk with Burt B and find out what he remembers about it. Unfortunately Jack N died a few years ago but his interview is out there somewhere.
"Hello. I'm Beverly Boyer, and I'm a pig."
Doris Day "The Thrill Of IT All" 1963

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

I missed the first hour but phoned a friend who said the Lifetime achievement award for Doris hadn't been announced yet. Then when it came late I thought too that it had been saved (the best for last?) and appropriately announced by Tony Bennett & Natalie Cole. And the few photo shots of DD, fast as they were, were good ones. I have a magazine photo now that includes Debbie, Eddie, Jimmy Van Heusen, DD, and Nat King Cole in Palm Springs in the '50s. All I have to do is learn how to upload it to the forum after I get a shot of it into my computer, not an easy task (guess it's in the "how to" section), so maybe someone knows this photo too and can beat me to the punch.

The state of modern music is terrible, yes, John, but at least for the 50th anniversary it was a better show than the usual, the usual being unwatchable. Amy Winehouse really grabs your attention despite her personal problems. But for Herbie Hancock to get Album of the Year (only the 2nd time, I think I read, that a jazz artist has received this award in the rocky history of the Grammys) AND to perform Gershwin; to see and hear Ringo; to hear the line (paraphrased) "I got a Grammy presented by a Beatle--you got one of those Kanye?"; to see Beyonce & Tina Turner on a duet of Creedence Clearwater's "Proud Mary"--it was all surprisingly entertaining. For the Grammys.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

jboy4day, I've always wanted to hear that original recording session for SMNF. One of the goals I've set for myself as I work on the book on Doris' music career is to try to locate a couple of missing masters. I probably won't be any more sucessful than the people who tried earlier, but you never know!

I had to laugh when Tony Bennett stumbled over the speech, as Clint Eastwood also did that at her Golden Globes Lifetime Acheivement Award. Seems to be in the cards for Doris at her Life Achievement Awards, doesn't it? :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks so much for posting, really great to see this snippet, wonderful.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

I'm surprised that "Send Me No Flowers" was originally "rock oriented."

During the "dawn" of rock 'n roll, Doris Day did what a lot of pop artists were doing, "stealing" songs from original r & b performers and recording them so white kids would buy. Rock 'n roll was having such a big influence on the charts, record companies were desperate when novelty tunes stopped selling. Remember "This Old House," "Hot Ziggety," "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window," "That's Amore," Mule Train," "16 Tons," "Que Sera Sera" all had been #1 Hits!

Day's "Two Hearts, Two Kisses, Make One Love" was not exactly Rock n Roll, but it was better than most of the covers, however, mainly because Day was such a great singer. It was really something fun to which kids could dance. The song was written and recorded by Otis Williams of Otis and the Charms. Doris Day, Pat Boone and Frank Sinatra jumped on the tune, but not fast enough to destroy Mr. Williams' version, which hit #8 on Billboard's r & b charts.

Surprisingly, Frank's version is similar to Doris' in that they both did it from a big band swing standpoint, but I think Day did better singing.

Here's Frank's:

http://tendermelody.imeem.com/music/rS5 ... _one_love/

Ironic about the Grammys, Doris Day was nominated the first year of the awards for "Everybody Loves A Lover," and on it's 50th Anniversary, she receives a Lifetime Achievement Award.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Grammy

Unread post by webmaster »

Barb has pointed out this site: http://cinebeats.blogsome.com

The image seems appropriate here.

Someone has just posted it beginning with Doris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsInyxCoJQ&NR=1
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

c.j

Unread post by c.j »

Very Heart Warming.. For the Best to the Best..

webmaster

Online comment

Was anyone else disappointed with Doris Day's tribute at the Grammy Awards? This woman has led one of the most amazing careers in showbusiness, with top-grossing movies, chart-toppping albums and a long-running television sitcom (not to mention her animal awareness work which she's still heavily involved in). She deserved more more than a mere mention last night.

Who's going to remember Amy Winehouse or Miley Cyrus fifty years from now? Give me Doris Day! Her legacy of song and film deserved more than a passing mention. She has definitely earned her Lifetime Achievement Award. Now all she needs is her Honorary Academy Award...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK7XNPIMDE4VU5
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Night & Day

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, it would have been nice to hear some snippets of the wonderful 'Day' vocals from the smoky 1940s stuff to the jazzy/ sophisticated 1950s and 1960s stuff - the likes of that end note from 'Love Him'; the fabulous 'Since I fell for you' - the magnificent 'Hooray for Hollywood' and perhaps ending with the wonderful and sexy ending to 'Time to say goodnight' or 'Moonglow' - there are so many rather than the often heard 'jolly'- Que sera....!

Also, more than one commentator has noted the irony of 'Day & Night' - [or rather Night & Day] - with Doris' tribute following bad girl Amy!

Personally, I like Amy's voice -her performances are very hit and miss but she is very much jazz inspired by the likes of Sarah Vaughan etc and on her albums sings some nice standards / jazz songs - I love her version of 'Moody's mood for love' - written as a sax solo from 'I'm in the Mood for Love'. If Winehouse admires and is in awe of the greats [Vaughan, Washington etc] she has to be similarly impressed with the magnificent Miss Day.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Grammy Show

Unread post by ray »

I was in the process of moving yet again and didn't see the Grammy Show, I thought with the writers strike it would not be on at all. Wonderul to see Tony Bennett and Natalie Cole speak of Doris, how appropreiate since Tony is a good friend and Nat's father being the great King Cole. The tribute could have been much more but still wonderful that Doris is being appeciated today in 2008!!! As it should be always!! What Will Be, Will be forever.... :D

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Cheesy Triburtes

Unread post by Ralph »

Winehouse a sobering sight at 'Grannies'

February 12, 2008
JOEL RUBINOFF
RECORD STAFF

But most of the tortuous festivities were spent reliving moments from Grammy's past, with awkward duets between R&B cheeseball Alicia Keys and an archivally reconstructed Frank Sinatra (eye-poppingly original . . . in '92), a flatulent, gospel free-for-all headed by soul queen Aretha Franklin, and insulting, 15-second inductions into the Grammy Hall of Fame for seminal figures like The Band, Doris Day and Burt Bacharach ("Thanks for your contributions . . . suckers!), all so rap blowhard Kanye West could take a few more minutes to slag the house band for interrupting maudlin reminiscences about his late mother.

"I know you want me to be the No. 1 artist in the world, mama," he blathered, accepting the award for best rap album. "And all I'm gonna do is keep on making you proud." (Note to Kanye: you want to make her proud? Stop talking.).

http://news.therecord.com/arts/article/307965
---------------------------------------
I agree that the 15 second tributes to the legends were rather cheesy, now that I think back. How many of the performers making records today will be so honored 50 years from today? Hardly any. But it seemed as if these Music Legends were just mentioned in passing so they could bore us to death with the likes of Kanye West and Amy Winehouse...neither of whom I would walk across the street to see or take a listen.

When Aretha, Frank and Barbra became Hall of Famers, they had more lenghly segments on the Grammys, also when they became Grammy Legends. Why these Hall of Famers are treated with such "lightness" is beyond me.

javajunkie540

Unread post by javajunkie540 »

I was so excited to see even the 15 seconds they showed of Doris on the Grammies. And it was very fitting that they saved the best for last, although I wish they would have showed more. I found this link a few minutes ago and was very happy to hear (or read rather) what Doris had to say about receiving her Lifetime Achievement Award. http://www.armyarcherd.com/2008/02/morning-after-f.html

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Blogger Rips Doris Day

Unread post by Ralph »

Blogger rips Doris Day for receiving a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. You should have a few things to say to him!

http://desicritics.org/2008/02/13/004207.php

webmaster

Grammy

Doris Day Grammy Award 2008 - Extended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NW2QsnYvEA

(I made my own version!)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

doris + Bryan

Unread post by Doris Martin »

:lol: BRYAN YOU ARE FANTASTIC thankyou. Marti

webmaster

Grammy

Oh, thank you, Marti - it just shows how much better they could have made the presentaion with a few film clips.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Bryan--it says it's been pulled due to a "copyright claim by a third party"

webmaster

Grammy

Yes, you are right! That was quick - I'll post it somewhere else tomorrow - have to go out now.

webmaster

Grammy Award

It's on here:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=85Z27D58

I've just called it Doris Day to avoid drawing too much attention!

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

Bryon,
That was wonderful. You should be on the Grammy crew.
Barb

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yea, that is more like it Bryan. I always love Doris singing /swinging 'It's you or no one'.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

That scene from "The man who knew" with the "ladies and gentlemen the famous Doris Day has..." caught me off guard - I had to go back and check if it indeed said "Doris Day"!? I loved the whole video but that little alternation was brilliant, Bryan. Is it you speaking?

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

GREAT video-- Bryan.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Thank You Bryan, that was wonderful to watch. :wink:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Kudos, Bryan! MUCH better than the official Gammy video! Thanks!

Miss Maxwell, that alteration was made by Hitchcock: it's from the original theatrical trailer for TMWKTM. Very clever of Bryan to use it.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca