Doris Day GRAMMY Award 2008

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

That scene from "The man who knew" with the "ladies and gentlemen the famous Doris Day has..." caught me off guard - I had to go back and check if it indeed said "Doris Day"!? I loved the whole video but that little alternation was brilliant
Just like me *lol*

Nicely done!
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Your Grammy Version

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for making that tribute. It's much nicer than the original one. There are so many great songs sung by Doris, and a lot of better pictures than used on the original show. I wish you had made the original film/clip.

Peter

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Grammy Award

Unread post by webmaster »

Well, I think any of us could have done a better job in selecting clips to include in the honour. Thinking about it now it annoys me that her presentation was so impoverished, my first thought was that they had just taken a few images from this website.
And where did 'Teacher's Pet' come from in Natalie Cole's list of great Doris recording moments? It's a nice song but not up there with her greatest.
And then they spend so long on bad girl flavour-of-the-month, Amy Winehouse, who will never come near to Doris' enduring talent. Rant, rant, but Doris deserved better and should have gotten it. I was trying to redress the balance a bit.

The "Famous Miss Doris Day" is a clip from a DVD promotion of "The Man Who Knew Too Much".

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Nice

Unread post by Ralph »

Bryan:

"Nice speech, Eve. Now you can put that award where your heart ought to be."

Just kidding. The Doris video was very entertaining. Loved it.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

I see, thanks for clarifying guys.

JohnM - I'm browsing your DVD catalog as we speak and I'm speechless, both at the size of it and the content - we've practically the same taste (of course for a list of 1400+ movies, that does not sound quite improbable lol). I've a thing for collecting and I'm thrilled by such collections. Prized indeed.

Theodomus - a belated welcome to you and the couple other members that joined in recently!

RueBea

Unread post by RueBea »

Many Thanks Bryan! :D
RueBea

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty." ~Doris Day

webmaster

Grammy

Thanks Rue, it was nice to watch again.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Daisy June

Re: Doris Day GRAMMY Award 2008

Unread post by Daisy June »

I was so glad to see this happen. WAY OVERDUE. Her voice is so wondeful. It's just like she is singing to you.
Carol

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

The show was embarrassing, to say the least, as was the quality of the music and performers. I am glad Doris did NOT attend: I would have been embarrassed for her! Amy Winehouse...come on, get real!
How said as well that SECRET LOVE is the ONLY Doris song in the Grammy List (not counting Les Brown).
What about QUE SERA and I'LL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU and IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU and AGAIN and EVERYBODY LOVES A LOVER.....they were all SUPER hits, and should have been included.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

DORIS DAY vs BARBRA STREISAND: FUNNY THING....I recall reading an article (I think from an old TV GUIDE) IN Which both singers were interviewed. Doris said that she thought Streisand had the most beautiful voice in the world, and Streisand said she thought that Doris was the epitome of female singers. I guess they both had good taste!
To those who think that Doris was good "in her time"...PUHLEEZ....make them LISTEN to some good music for a change and uderstand that she is a singer for all times and all places.
I still believe those people alive today , under the age of 40, need a music appreciation course taught by someone in his or her 70's who was alive when MUSIC WAS MUSIC and NOT JUST NOISE. Part I of the course would be called: A LESSON FOR ALL SINGERS, and it would feature, EXCLUSIVELY, the music of Doris Day.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I'm with you, Mikey!
Like Irene Dunne done.

rioamigo

Unread post by rioamigo »

The Lifetime Achievement Award is Doris' only Grammy, but she was nominated twice before for best female performance: for EVERYBODY LOVES A LOVER (1958) and for THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1959). Doris was on Grammy's first Board of Directors when it was established in 1958.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:I'm with you, Mikey!
ME TOO

webmaster

Well said, Mike - and welcome to the forum, rioamigo! Thanks for your comments - interesting.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering