Looking for "Julie"

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
kimmyd

Looking for "Julie"

Unread post by kimmyd »

Does anyone know why out of all the wondeful movies that Doris Day made why is "Julie" not on DVD to buy? I loved this movie and can not find it any where....I would love to know why
KIM

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Julie

Unread post by webmaster »

A search produced this (12 available, on VHS only):

http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Doris-Day/dp/6304286783
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Julie

Just found a place where you can get a DVD:

http://www.vicpine.co.uk/Julie.htm

It's in the UK but they say all their DVDs can be played world wide.

kimmyd

Unread post by kimmyd »

Thank you so much I will check this out! I just don't know why here in the U.S this movie isn't availble....amazing
KIM

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

That's great Bryan...I had given up on ever getting to see "Julie" on DVD!

webmaster

Julie

Have you seen my Julie YouTube video? I sent some I did to Sue Gokgor (Friends of Doris Day) including this and she said it gave her vertigo! (Sorry Sue!) I can understand why as it's just one photo (which I became a bit obsessed with at the time) changing colour and zooming in and out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-HjcNlk64

kimmyd

Unread post by kimmyd »

I just watched the youtube video, nice......I was reading the comments on it and one of them made me think of the modern film "Turbulence" with Lauren Holly, how both movies had the same basics...crazy guy after the flight attendant and she has to land the plane....
KIM

webmaster

Julie

I haven't been able to watch it since Sue's comments!

I read somewhere that they based some of "Airplane" on "Julie". :?:

kimmyd

Unread post by kimmyd »

That is very interesting trivia to know....cool
KIM

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Just watched your video too - I can understand your being 'obssessed' with that pic, Doris's face is flawless and so is Louis Jourdan's, even if we only get to see his profile. He's very handsome and I've a thing for that french accent... Can you believe he's 99? At least if his imdb profile is up to date... Wow. I wish him many many more. Anyway, he's so attractive and as I watch more and more DD films I've a hard time deciding who's the best looking co-star; one's better than the other.

Since we're on Julie, did I indeed read somewhere that there's a colorized version of it or am I making this up?

EDIT: Ok, so I always sucked at math. 89. LOL!!!

kimmyd

Unread post by kimmyd »

lol me too with math....It would be wonderful but like I said its so hard to find......the movie and I don't own a VCR anymore...hahaha Bryan do you know??????
KIM

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

JUlie

Unread post by Doris Martin »

hello kimmyd... the friends of Doris Day have got it, I buoght from them. Get in touch with Sue.. Marti.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

The remaining 7 Warner Bros. controlled films are due to be released on DVD in the U.S. within the next 12 months or so. That would be: It's A Great Feeling, Tea for Two, Starlift, April in Paris, Julie, The Tunnel of Love and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

I haven't got a confirm on the 2 remaining Universal titles: Midnight Lace and The Ballad of Josie. Supposedly, they are coming as well. Then all 39 films will be availabel on DVD!
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

kimmyd

Unread post by kimmyd »

You all are so kind and have so much to share I am so glad to have joined the DD web Forum.....Its a pleasure to find others who appreciate the work she did...my mother gave me the love of watching her movies...thank you
KIM

Ken
Honorary Member

Starlift

Unread post by Ken »

Thanks John. We finally get a clear copy of Starlift after all these years.---The colorized version of Julie was shown on tv and I taped it years ago.--I believe Louis Jourdan was born in 1919.

pebrogan

Louis Jourdan

Unread post by pebrogan »

That's correct Ken about Louis being born in 1919 - June, in fact which would make him 88 at the present time.

For many years he and his wife lived across the street from Miss Day on North Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Pics!

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Ken, that sounds more like it although it is still hard to believe he is 88 either!

Bryan, I love that pic, in fact I have it posted up on the surround of my desk at work [along with one of each of my cats, one of Billie Holliday circa 1940 and one of her circa 1958, and of course three more of Doris - one in the orange evening dress from Do Not Disturb and one with Bob Hope from the late 1940s & one with Mr Biggest Day from 1985]. The 1983 pic is also my screen saver - guess I am a little obsessed!!!!!

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I don't think you're obsessed, Jas...just got seriously good taste! 8)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks Sheila!

debey

Re: Pics!

Unread post by debey »

Jas1 wrote:Yes Ken, that sounds more like it although it is still hard to believe he is 88 either!

Bryan, I love that pic, in fact I have it posted up on the surround of my desk at work [along with one of each of my cats, one of Billie Holliday circa 1940 and one of her circa 1958, and of course three more of Doris - one in the orange evening dress from Do Not Disturb and one with Bob Hope from the late 1940s & one with Mr Biggest Day from 1985]. The 19

83 pic is also my screen saver - guess I am a little obsessed!!!!!
i LOVE that orange evening dress from do not disturb! if i could find that dress i would wear it...somewhere?

bluebird1115

Re: Julie

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

bryan wrote:Just found a place where you can get a DVD:

http://www.vicpine.co.uk/Julie.htm

It's in the UK but they say all their DVDs can be played world wide.
Bootleg.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

John M wrote:The remaining 7 Warner Bros. controlled films are due to be released on DVD in the U.S. within the next 12 months or so. That would be: It's A Great Feeling, Tea for Two, Starlift, April in Paris, Julie, The Tunnel of Love and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

I haven't got a confirm on the 2 remaining Universal titles: Midnight Lace and The Ballad of Josie. Supposedly, they are coming as well. Then all 39 films will be availabel on DVD!
Is it true that Warners Videos has control of "The Tunnel of Love," "Julie," and "Where...Lights Went Out?"? They were all released by MGM.

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

Ralph wrote:
Is it true that Warners Videos has control of "The Tunnel of Love," "Julie," and "Where...Lights Went Out?"? They were all released by MGM.
Warners owns the distribution rights to all MGM films made prior to 1986.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, Ralph, Warners owns the MGM library. (MGM only owns the post-1952 UA library and some other small ones. Don't ask.)

That's why Love Me or Leave Me, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, Billy Rose's Jumbo and The Glass Bottom Boat were all part of Warner's first Doris Day Collection box set. As well as why they release the dvds of The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur, Doctor Zhivago, Meet Me in St. Louis and the classic MGM musicals boxsets and the That's Entertainment films, among many others.

Warners does remarkable work in restoration and presentation, so I am very glad that they own these films now. Later this year they're putting out a 2-disc full-restoration of Gigi (among others.) In addition to their own and the MGM libraries, they also own the RKO library as well.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Can I ask all you big time film buffs out there where the plethora of old films are? When you look at the vaious film books, The Warner Bros/ MGM, RKO Story etc and all the films that were made each year, yet you see so few of them on TV etc, wonder what has happened to them all?