Honouary Academy Award For Doris Day -When?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Honouary Academy Award For Doris Day -When?

Unread post by Johnny » 17 Feb 2008, 17:40

What will it take for the Motion Pictuce Academy to award Doris Day an honourary Oscar?

Ms. Day's films embody the genuine sincereity of the 50's and 60's that is all but gone with the cynical political games and relationships of the last thirty years. Ms Day was authentic in her acting and left the audience satisfied with many good to excellent performances.

Do you think it is time?

Johnny
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Feb 2008, 18:15

It's well past the time!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 26 Feb 2008, 20:12

Amen and Amen!!! she deserved an oscar more than... 30 years ago... no one understood her talent though... it wasn't properly recognized
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Feb 2008, 07:51

no one understood her talent though... it wasn't properly recognized
Not sure that is true, Babe, she was always appreciated by the public - she was the world's top box office star for many years and even today her films and records are still selling well. She may not have had the recognition we feel she should have had from the film industry in terms of awards but that applies to many of the great 'personality stars' such as Gary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, etc, who never won an Oscar but were much loved by the public.

From Wikipedia:
Box Office Queen
In 1959, Day entered her most successful phase as a film actress with a series of romantic comedies, starting with the hugely popular Pillow Talk, co-starring Rock Hudson, who became a lifelong friend. The film received positive reviews and was a box office favorite. It also brought a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actress for Day. She and Hudson made two more films together, and she also made two films alongside James Garner, starting with 1963's The Thrill of It All.

Many of her 1960s films ignored her singing abilities and painted her as a good-hearted woman with a strong will, a hint of naïveté, and the purest virtue. ...But the public loved Day's light, frothy comedies of this period, buying enough tickets to make her by far the top female movie star in America during the first half of the 1960s.
Renewal of Interest
During the 1990s, interest in Day revived. The release of a greatest hits CD in 1992 garnered her another entry into the British charts, while the inclusion of the song "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" in the soundtrack of the Australian film, Strictly Ballroom, gained her a legion of new fans (the song was also covered by the alternative rock outfit, Cake in the same period.) During the late 1990s/early 2000s, the progressive release of her films and TV series/specials on DVD fed into this renewal of interest in and respect for her work, a fact underlined by the development of a large number of websites devoted to her, and the growing number of academic texts analysing various aspects of her career. Perhaps in part to address this phenomenon, in 2006 Day recorded a commentary for the DVD release of the fifth (and final) season of her TV show. Over the last four years Day has also participated in a number of telephone interviews with a local radio station which celebrates her birthday with an annual Doris Day music marathon, these interviews have been podcast and are currently downloadable.

In 2004, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom but declined to attend the ceremony because of a fear of flying. She has turned down a tribute offer from the American Film Institute, but did receive, and went to LA to accept, the Golden Globe's Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in 1989; she did not accept an invitation to be a recipient of the Kennedy Center Honor for undisclosed reasons. Liz Smith, a long time entertainment gossip columnist and Rex Reed (movie critic) have mounted vigorous campaigns for several years, attempting to drum up support for an honorary Academy Award for Doris Day, to herald her spectacular film career and her status as the top female boxoffice star of all time. Day received, some think a long-overdue Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in Music in February 2008.

A major new biography of Day, "DORIS DAY: The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door" by David Kaufman is scheduled to be published by Virgin Books USA in hardback on 10 June 2008 and is said to tell Day’s "incredible, previously untold story.." This book, like the recent one by a former employee, is already proving controversial among Day fans because of expected revelations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Day

So don't let's throw the baby out with the bathwater and deny her the great aclaim she's had! :wink:

webmaster

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Feb 2008, 08:56

Out in Hollywood:
The Academy Awards, in my opinion, have seriously lacked old-time movie stars that connect us to the history. There are still plenty of the big stars of yesteryear around and I'm glad that Jane Russell graced the red carpet, still looking lovely in her 80s. I wonder why the Academy doesn't award an honorary Oscar to someone like Doris Day or Lauren Bacall? It would give the proceedings such a touch of class and remind us of what it was all about before all this "Who are you wearing?" crap!
http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywo ... carpe.html

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 27 Feb 2008, 09:59

Couldn't agree more ! It's time she received one. The fact that she probably wouldn't go to the ceremony should have nothing to do with it. She deserves it !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 27 Feb 2008, 12:35

yepp you're probley right... I just don't think the critics of America... on some occasion... and the people who handed out oscars and grammys really recognized just how great she really was
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Feb 2008, 12:42

Maybe they are beginning to? 8)

PS. Welcome to the Forum, Johnny! :)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams » 27 Feb 2008, 12:59

I think they are beginnig to!!! To make up for lost time... I figure Doris needs to earn a Grammy and an Oscar... or both at least once a year!!!!
lol... just think how cool that would be... it might not matter that much to her.... but it sure matters to us.... Even if she wasn't tickled... I know I sure would be!
Megan
-----------------

webmaster

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 27 Feb 2008, 19:04

"Perhaps, Perhaps" (reference above):

http://dorisday.net/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1988

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Lauren Bacall

Unread post by Ralph » 27 Feb 2008, 20:25

When you look back at Lauren Bacall's career, she was never a top boxoffice star, but a leading lady on the same level as Dorothy Malone, Debra Paget, Yvonne De Carlo, Rhonda Fleming, Arlene Dahl and Joanne Dru.

I think many of the awards shows gave her these A-List awards because she was married to Bogart and she acted like she belonged among the Monroe's, Day's and Taylor's. She has received the Kennedy Center Honor (during the time Doris declined), the American Film Institute (during the time Doris turned them down) and the C. B. DeMille Award, I believe.

Right above Bacall were stars like Virginia Mayo, Jean Simmons, Mitzi Gaynor, Ann Blyth, Janet Leigh, Jane Russell and Jeanne Crain, all of whom starred in many films with their names in the #1 spot above the title.

pebrogan

Honorary Oscar

Unread post by pebrogan » 07 Mar 2008, 16:10

I don't know how accurate this piece is, but it does not seem likely. It was from a newspaper in Scotland:

Dog has its Day
Barking she isn't. Doris Day was up for a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Oscars but 48 hours before the event she called off. She was at home nursing one of her 17 dogs, hit by car.

Doris, 83, is an avowed animal lover, a singing legend, and you'd have thought the Academy, with so many achievers to choose from, sunning themselves by their pools, would have said "sorry to hear about the dog, Doris, we'll have you back next year".

No way. They reportedly told her it had been a once-in-a-lifetime offer. I'd have set the hounds on them.

Luv you, Doris, but I love Edinburgh's Dog & Cat Home better. Chief barker down there at Seafield, David Ewing, tells me there's a "fresh sparkle" about the place.

"

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Hard to Believe

Unread post by Ralph » 07 Mar 2008, 16:33

People write a lot of things. I think if that had happened, it would have been big news in the United States. The press would have made a field day out of this type of news. Doris Day Turns Down Special Oscar for Sick Dog. Couldn't you just hear the TV rag show hosts going on and on, ad nausem, while showing the worse pictures they could find on Doris?

The press in the USA doesn't pass up such chances.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 08 Mar 2008, 15:20

I know it was reported in a few papers in the UK in the mid/late 1980s that the Cannes Film Festival wanted to honour Doris and had been sweet talking her for almost a year and when crunch time came and she had to tell them 'yes or no'- she advised one of her dogs was expecting a litter than month and she could't possibly be away. Of course, knowing how Doris felt about Cannes [from her book] I am sure she would not have made the trip, award or no award, litter or no litter! Nice story though and it just shows [if true] where Doris Day's priorities are now and where they have been for a long time!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Suspicious

Unread post by Ralph » 08 Mar 2008, 16:44

Doesn't it seem strange that Doris Day would be offered a special Oscar and it didn't get leaked to the press before the Oscars, this after all the campaigns for her to be honored? Liz Smith nor Rex Reed knew anything?

The press knows everytime some starlette changes her underwear. The Academy, which has been underfire for decades, would want everybody to know that they had indeed offered to honor Doris Day , but that she turned down their "one-time-offer."

The "excuse" Day supposedly made was a weak one. Nobody expected her to show up to receive an award in-person and to me, this story sounds like another attempt to make Day look flighty. THE TABLOID PRESS JUST WON'T LEAVE HER ALONE!

c.j

Unread post by c.j » 09 Mar 2008, 20:41

If it is so ..why not?? I can see Ms. Day's priority was the well care for her four legged friend to be by her/his side I figure i do the same ..besides maybe Ms.Day just does not want to revisit her past over & over again..

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Others Ignored...

Unread post by Ralph » 10 Mar 2008, 15:00

The selection of awardees is alway suspect. Take the C. B. DeMille Awards. Can you imagine Lauren Bacall being honored and not Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? Both ladies, along with Richard Widmark and Tony Curtis, have been ignored by the AFI, the Oscars (even though both ladies have received best actress Oscars) and the Kennedy Center Honors.

And, all of these legends are still alive: Tony, Richard, Oliva and Joan.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Honouary Academy Award For Doris Day -When?

Unread post by Johnny » 04 Nov 2008, 17:25

Today, November 4-2008 is the American election of a new president. I sincerely hope the respect of other countiries will be restored to such a magnicent nation. I believe Barack Obama will do do this.

I think we might want to start a new campaign for Ms Doris Day with the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences since awards season is two months away. The comments in the forum support the idea of bringing class and elegance back to the Academy by honouring Doris Day as well as other luminaries of the past. There has not been anyone with Doris Day's talent and persona in the last thrity years. Let us honour her and raise the standards of the Academy.

Are you listening Academy?

Johnny
Johnny

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 04 Nov 2008, 17:45

I am sitting here smiling because we have gone through this "fruitless attempt" every y ear now for the past 7 or 8 years, and our efforts always fall on deaf ears.
In order for THE ACADEMY to offer an award to a female, they seem to have some specific requirements:
1. LIMITED TALENT
2. CLOTHES THAT ARE MOSTLY OFF RATHER THAN ON; TIGHT RATHER THAN LOOSE,
MOSTLY DISTASTEFUL....AND MOVIE ROLES TO MATCH.
3. VERY HIGH ON "DUH" RESPONSES
4. SEX SEX AND MORE SEX

What the academy should do is quite different from what it DOES do. Not only are the award presented to the wrong people (Come on..Simone Signoret instead of Doris Day yeah, right!!!)/ Grace (ala pretty with no brains and very little talent instead of Judy Garland..good lord...)
Worse is the sin of omission: Doris in LOVE ME or MIDNIGHT or MAN WHO KNEW or CALAMITY ....and not even nominated!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoever has been/is running that organization needs to be put in the same place as George Bush come january....out in the cold.

Wishful thinking, my friends...but not gonna happen.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard » 05 Nov 2008, 19:28

It should be back to basics for the Academy Award choosers. I have heard it takes more than just a little shake, and rattle, to obtain one. It takes money and a concerted blitz to make it happen, and chances are, without Doris as a participant, you may as well forget it. Correct me if I am wrong.

If there is an academy in the sky, they have already given Doris an award, for sure.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

dorismartin

Unread post by dorismartin » 06 Nov 2008, 02:35

mikeydv wrote:I am sitting here smiling because we have gone through this "fruitless attempt" every y ear now for the past 7 or 8 years, and our efforts always fall on deaf ears.
In order for THE ACADEMY to offer an award to a female, they seem to have some specific requirements:
1. LIMITED TALENT
4. SEX SEX AND MORE SEX

What the academy should do is quite different from what it DOES do. Not only are the award presented to the wrong people (Come on..Simone Signoret instead of Doris Day yeah, right!!!)/ Grace (ala pretty with no brains and very little talent instead of Judy Garland..good lord...)
Worse is the sin of omission: Doris in LOVE ME or MIDNIGHT or MAN WHO KNEW or CALAMITY ....and not even nominated!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoever has been/is running that organization needs to be put in the same place as George Bush come january....out in the cold.

Wishful thinking, my friends...but not gonna happen.
You are soooo right dear....She deserves the best .....I wish I could do something about...I am ready, wiiling and able....dorismartin

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict » 06 Nov 2008, 07:43

mikeydv wrote:I am sitting here smiling because we have gone through this "fruitless attempt" every y ear now for the past 7 or 8 years, and our efforts always fall on deaf ears.
1. LIMITED TALENT
4. SEX SEX AND MORE SEX

Sorry, I don't think thats true at all - if you look at the last couple of years (maybe except for last year that was a weak year mostly cause of the strike) there have been very strong female parts been nominated - and wins - actresses with high talent and very good movies. I think nowadays its even a LOT better for female actresses to get a good role than it was in the 80's/90's.
I don't really know how it works with the honory awards - that's really not at all satisfying the last couple of years. The last one I really was happy about was Deborah Kerr's in 1994 and Sidney Poitiers. But I don't know the rules about that honoary awards... there are some more out there apart from Doris' who finally should get recognized by the Academy ...I agree with that also.
ON the other hand I highly doubt that Doris' would even show up if she'd get it .... and I don't think they award this award to anyone who is not there - except maybe posthum awards ....

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola » 06 Nov 2008, 14:12

Hasn't it been said that Doris was offered both an honorary Oscar and a Kennedy Center award, and she turned them down? I don't think I'm dreaming that....I think our girl is just not interested in those kinds of awards anymore. In her autobiography, she talks about having to get "up" for such an occasion and treat it as if she is acting. When I'm her age, I don't think I'll be interested in going thru an emotional exercise like that, just to get an award! As Terry said, she never developed an addiction to the spotlight....I think that fact is more and more evident as the years go on.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 06 Nov 2008, 14:18

I have to agree with you there cokie,and terry was certainly right.
suzie

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 06 Nov 2008, 17:14

I think the Academy could present the award to Doris in Carmel, California which is her home. They have made similar presentations to other actors. This is the least they could do.

I do agree that Doris does not crave the spotlight so the Academy can take the spotlight to her in 2009.
Johnny