Magazine 3/3/2008

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Magazine 3/3/2008

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi,

This is an mag that I found on internet. Does anyone know what's the story?

p

Ken
Honorary Member

Globe Tabloid

Unread post by Ken »

It basically says that since Terry's death Doris ventures out of her home rarely and lets her two housekeepers shop for her. She has friends visit and she had a small group come in to watch the Grammy awards show with her.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Obama sex scandal? Doris Day sad last days - shocking reason? World exclusive?

"Oh, that's a bore - *snores* - give that a snore."
~ Doris Day - Pet Set, 1971

ray
I danced with Doris!

Scandal Sheet

Unread post by ray »

What would you expect and 84 year old to be doing? Cartwheels and bopping around the town? Doris has a grand house and her beloved pets around her and if I where that age I would be doing the same!!! At 55 I hardly get out except for work!!! This is just a headline grabbing thing and they did this to Greta Grabo untill she died. Doris has earned this quiet time in her life and she has nothing but the best around her and a world that Loves her!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

globe

Unread post by Doris Martin »

I wish I could close that magazine down. Marti

KarenSev

Another Piece of Trash

Unread post by KarenSev »

The problem with these trash magazines is that Doris doesn't grant interviews with them, and she lives a very private life...so they have to create stories, slanted ones, in order to draw people into buying their crap.
Why can't they just leave the lady alone! She has earned the right to have a private life, but as we all know trashy magazines and books just can't seem to let her live in peace.
I really get sick of this type of article. They should spend their time, perhaps letting the world in on all the great work she has done for her favorite cause...no why do something positive, when you can write negative garbage!!!
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

dayfan1962

Globe Cover article

Unread post by dayfan1962 »

I hate this magazine and the other ones like it. They are such rags, I hate them. They print lies about our Doris and others. They spread negativity when this world is in such need of positivity and love.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: Scandal Sheet

Unread post by Ralph »

ray wrote:What would you expect and 84 year old to be doing? Cartwheels and bopping around the town? Doris has a grand house and her beloved pets around her and if I where that age I would be doing the same!!! At 55 I hardly get out except for work!!! This is just a headline grabbing thing and they did this to Greta Grabo untill she died. Doris has earned this quiet time in her life and she has nothing but the best around her and a world that Loves her!
They choose legends like Doris Day to sell newspapers. People feel that if it's in a rag like this, they must have some dirt on Doris, which would be very welcomed by the Day-haters.

Even during this Paris Hilton/Britney/Lindsey, etc. era, the face of Doris or Marilyn or Liz can still sell papers. Doris hasn't allowed them inside her life since retiring and THEY CANNOT STAND THAT! If they could, they'd stalk her to her grave, like they did Princess Diana. The only reason they haven't "murdered" Chelsea Clinton is because she has Secret Service protection and they cannot get near her.

Natalier

Doris Day in the mag

Unread post by Natalier »

It is such shame that these newspaper people cant just live her in peace, so what if she doesnt want to come out of her house leave her alone in it.
Does anyone what the story actually said about her if anyone does please I would much like to know thankyou.
Its a great feeling

ray
I danced with Doris!

Positive Side of Story

Unread post by ray »

The article does say Doris works feverishly on the phone for her animal welfare work. Of course she is devastated about Terry, they had such a wonderful Mother/Son bond and where friends also. The mag says pals feel its Doris's sad last days because she is not out and about at award shows etc...but Doris never did that in her Hollywood days! These Pals mentioned can't be such good friends if they took part in such a story.
Doris lives on an 11 acre estate and is gratefull for that. Many older people are in an elderly high rise with no privacy. Doris is still living the good life the way she wants too and maybe some people are jealous of that and her unbeliveable success in her career. She is enjoying herself and careing for her beloved critters.
Not everyone knows about her life like we do so that is why the marriages, etc...is brought up in atricles and TV shorts. It shows Doris is like that doll that bounces back no matter what!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

You see how Doris Day dominates the cover. She sells. For years, these rags have promised or "hinted at" revelations about Doris and other private celebs, only to reveal nothing except that they won't talk to them and spill their guts about their personal lives. They've tried to link Day with various men over the years, with no proof. Just mentioning these "sordid affairs" makes some people believe them and it sells papers. Doris sued them when they reported that she was a "bag lady". What idiot would believe such a thing? At the time they wrote that, Day was a millionaire.

This magazine just proves that they are desperate for anything to exploit. Doris Day is whatever age she is, hasn't asked them to report on her private life and they still are trying to exploit her. Shame on them!

Question: If you'd had a legendary career in films, was glamourous and noted for your youthful appearance and glamour, show your face to the public at 83 years old? I think Doris is protecting her image and what people will remember about her. I, for one, do not want to see her hobbling out on Oscar night (like Deborah Kerr) , looking like Doris Day's great grandmother, to pick up a special Academy Award that should have been given to her years ago. Hollywood, which disparaged Day for years, now would like to get the last laugh on Doris, by waiting for her to grow old, so they can ridicule her appearance. Comics and late night TV would have a field day. Cruel.

ImageImage

webmaster

Doris in Magazine

Unread post by webmaster »

Ralph wrote: "You see how Doris Day dominates the cover."
Fans like us know it's a non-story, dressed up as an 'exclusive' for people who haven't kept up with her life post-Hollywood. But, yes, it's strange that it's given more prominence than the 'story' about Barack Obama, which sounds like he 'may have' experimented with pot and sex when he was younger - that's hardly a story.
As Bill Clinton demonstrated, that is more of a story if you are President of the United States, but luckily he didn't inhale and didn't have sex with 'that woman' - so we can all sleep soundly in our beds at night. :wink:

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: Doris in Magazine

Unread post by Ralph »

bryan wrote:
Ralph wrote: "You see how Doris Day dominates the cover."
Fans like us know it's a non-story, dressed up as an 'exclusive' for people who haven't kept up with her life post-Hollywood. But, yes, it's strange that it's given more prominence than the 'story' about Barack Obama, which sounds like he 'may have' experimented with pot and sex when he was younger - that's hardly a story.
As Bill Clinton demonstrated, that is more of a story if you are President of the United States, but luckily he didn't inhale and didn't have sex with 'that woman' - so we can all sleep soundly in our beds at night. :wink:
Even people who don't live in the USA know how different the two major parties are. While Clinton was running, the GOP pulled out Jennifer Flowers to try and derail his campaign. Why? They were afraid of him. The Democrats tend to choose highly intelligent, articulate people; the GOP opts for the likes of George W. Bush, his father and Ronald Reagan (not considered very intelligent).

It was funny to the rest of the world when America spent all that time and MONEY and not enough on real issues, as the GOP sought to destroy Mr. Clinton. I, for one, thought the whole matter was ridiculous and feel that Mr. Clinton's response should have been, "kiss my a**, I'm not answering any questions. This is between my wife and me."

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Ralph wrote:Question: If you'd had a legendary career in films, was glamourous and noted for your youthful appearance and glamour, show your face to the public at 83 years old? I think Doris is protecting her image and what people will remember about her. I, for one, do not want to see her hobbling out on Oscar night (like Deborah Kerr) , looking like Doris Day's great grandmother, to pick up a special Academy Award that should have been given to her years ago. Hollywood, which disparaged Day for years, now would like to get the last laugh on Doris, by waiting for her to grow old, so they can ridicule her appearance. Comics and late night TV would have a field day. Cruel.
Well, I personally don't see it like that at all, Ralph. I don't think Deborah Kerr was ridiculed and I certainly don't think this would be the case with Doris. It's just a matter of different perspectives I guess - I just have no problem with seeing people having aged and wouldn't mind seeing a grandma version of Doris; I've seen a good many paparazzi pictures, in which I found her fabulous anyway, I sure could take a pre-arranged public appearance. That's not to say I do not understand or disapprove of her not wanting to make such a (or any) public appearance(s). But for my part, it would be a unique, unforgettable moment and (although long overdue) one final chance for the audience to salute and applaud the greatness that Doris Day is, right there and then, face to face, rather than an attempt to ridicule her. Of course this won’t happen so you, on one hand, needn’t worry and I, on the other, can simply keep on Day-dreaming. 8)

webmaster

Doris in Magazine

That is a good non-ageist point to make, Miss M - it depends on how the individual feels. Some people are rightly proud of it. Liz Taylor and others are not bothered about appearing in public. It effects people differently. But none of us are in our eighties here (are we?) so we don't know how it feels.

Wandering off topic.. yes, Ralph, we know the difference 'left vs right', although those terms are relative now and not what they were.
I heard Hilary Clinton say she was 'of the middle classes and for the middle classes' - I found that an astounding comment for someone wanting to be President (presumably for all the classes).

We live in a harsher climate now so would Bill have been able to get away with saying "Mind your own business"? Julie Christie, nominated for an Oscar this year, said she hated the hysteria of the Oscars now and that when she received on for Doctor Zhivago" that she made her own dress to go to the awards.

KarenSev

Globe Magazine

Unread post by KarenSev »

The reality is no tabloid garbage and no trashy book is ever going to change how the fans know and love Doris. I am certain the death of Terry has not been easy for her, and perhaps she does not go out and about like she did before his death...whatever, she entitled to do what she needs to take care of herself! Doris is quite capable of knowing what she needs to do to keep herself spiritually and mentally on track. With all she has had to endure, she doesn't need trashy magazines exploiting her.
I refuse to believe anything that says, " these are Doris' sad last days!" Doris doesn't dwell on painful things in her past, she is very much in the present and uses her spirituality for strength.
It does not matter what age Doris is , or how many years she has left...she is still and will always be the Doris Day we all know and love.
"I'm looking for the Rainbow's End, my friend."

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Unread post by Ralph »

Those of you who live in the United States...you know how cruel these pundits are. I've heard comics and late night hosts make fun of Liz Taylor since she looks more like Louella Parsons now and Joan Rivers, who made her career making fun of the FAT Liz is now the butt of many jokes because of her facelifts. Everybody in the public eye are targets.

One must wonder why they might wait until Doris is in her 80s or older to finally offer her a special Oscar? Why not around the time when she accepted the C. B. DeMille Award when she looked incredible?

Perhaps if Day hadn't gone through the backlash all those years from the Hollywood set, who disparaged her at every turn, and she had stayed in films playing older characters, I could see it. But she hasn't been seen since 1989 or 1992! On the Net they are already joking about "isn't she dead yet?" People love to excoriate others to make themselves look "cool." That's what Leno and Letterman do every night. You even have old people on TV trying to make fun of other old people!

When Day appeared at the Globes, people were shocked to see her looking so young and beautiful. I'm sure that the Day-haters were disappointed.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Oscar

Unread post by ray »

Maybe someday a movie about her life will be Oscar material, One can only hope. But for a performer who hasn't been seen since 1993 on Good Morning America, in which she looked as fabulous as in 1989 at the Golden Globes, she is doing alright with awards such as The Medal Of Freedom and the Grammy. Who needs the special Oscar anyway. She was nominated for Pillow Talk and should have gotten at least a nomination for Love Me Or Leave Me.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Its not only in America but why do people almost hate old age and are so fearfull of it? Years ago it was respected! I know why people are fearfull because the next step is the tunnell following the light, we are all going just at different times. Didn't Doris say that once in an interview? What Doris has given us will last when we are all gone!!!!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I also take issue with the hobbling comment and the comment about Deborah Kerr. It's that kind of attitude that fosters the pejorative view of aging today.

As far as being the butt of jokes, I only see that with people who foolishly damage their looks in an effort to stay young looking way past the realistic stage, like Joan Rivers and Ann Miller or Elizabeth Taylor, with her jet-black dyed hair.

I think it's up to each individual, and if Doris doesn't want to, so be it. But I don't think anybody would be making fun of her if she appeared at this stage. I think its sad if she honestly believes that our affection for her ends with her not looking as she did years ago. But obviously, as Ralph feels that way, others must as well, and I guess Doris does too.

Ray, you are so right about how we are fearful of age today. So sad.

Bryan: I think part of what Hillary meant is that for the last 7 years we've had an administration who catered only to big business and the very wealthy, and a democratic party who currently seems to live only for the minorities and poor. The vast middle class here is being ignored while they're the ones expected to fund the whole thing via their taxes. I think it's time for the middle class to get some attention again.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Bryan, wasn't Julie Christie's long-ago Oscar for "Darling" rather than "Dr. Zhivago"? I was hoping she'd win again tonight (it's still Sunday here).

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

about the DD haters

Honestly, I don’t think anyone holds a grudge against Doris Day and I find the characterization “Doris Day hater” a bit exaggerated. I’m sure there were many non-fans and anti-fans (that loved to hate her) back in her peak of success and (especially) a little later with the 60’s spirit (hippies, sexual liberation) taking over, when her style was considered out of place. I can accept that – she’d be the phenomenon of the century if she or her work was liked by everyone. But that doesn’t take away the fact that she was and more importantly still is adored by millions, long after flower power faded away.

Which brings us to any negative remarks of the present - let’s say about her age; so they may poke fun at the age (in the likes of “isn’t she dead yet?” as you said Ralph) like they do, very distastefully, with every aging star; so what if (thank God) Doris Day is a healthy, still fit (as I imagine) and decent looking lady in her 80s? Such sarcastic remarks are bound to come (always did and always will) but I don’t think they’re neither that common nor (should they be) given that much of attention (anyway); they just come with the territory and should be taken with a grain of salt. I’m sure if Day did show up, eg at the Oscars, two or three or perhaps more out of every dozen might kid about the age issue but all of them, if only secretly, will bow to her glory.

My bottom line is that even if negative remarks or attitudes exist, they can't overshadow the positive ones and they certainly can't overshadow the Doris Day sunshine. For me it's not a matter to worry over at all. :wink:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I think Doris is protecting her image and what people will remember about her. I, for one, do not want to see her hobbling out on Oscar night (like Deborah Kerr) , looking like Doris Day's great grandmother, to pick up a special Academy Award that should have been given to her years ago.
I agree with Miss Maxwell and I personally think, that DD cares a d*** what other people think - Good for her!

I admire her for sticking to her values (The Graduate!) and dedicating her life to something she believes in. She found her place and is happy with it; if she wanted to continue being applauded by everybody she would have gone to the Grammys or wherever. And I am absolutely positive that her not showing up there has nothing to do with her looks at all. She is too great a character for that.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

Bryan, wasn't Julie Christie's long-ago Oscar for "Darling" rather than "Dr. Zhivago"? I was hoping she'd win again tonight (it's still Sunday here).
Yes, you are right, Dave, it was "Darling" - a very good sixties type film if you haven't seen it, Also Billy Liar, her first film, I believe (Dave? :) )

Re Doris - not sure if there are real 'haters' out there - she did come in for some ridicule for "Caprice" and for seeming to be 'too good to be true', something she acknowledged herself and was the motivation for "Doris Day - Her Own Story" in which she aimed to put the record straight.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I went to this link and clicked comment to us... and this is what I wrote

This is TRASH!!! Why can't you people just LEAVE HER ALONE!!! Doris Day's only son DIED!!! If your only child died I'm sure you wouldn't want to get out of the house much either. Doris Day is retired... and she earned it!!! The world just needs to leave her alone, and give her privacy like a normal person. You don't see stories about someone in El Dorado Kansas not leaving their house... you want to know why??? BECAUSE NO ONE REALLY CARES!!! If you want privacy you're entitled to it. Everyone just needs to let Doris Day have her privacy and leave her ALONE!!!

I didn't say all I wanted to... because, I couldn't find all the words... but I think I pretty much summed up my feelings... Doris Day deserves her privacy as much as we all deserve ours... Enough Said