Ralph McKnight

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Ralph McKnight

Unread post by webmaster »

I am very sorry to report that Ralph McKnight passed away on March 16. Apparently, he had not been feeling well and had called the EMT, but then by the time they got there Ralph was already gone. He had a heart attack. I've been told that Ralph's family came in and took over and didn't let any of Ralph's New York friends know what had happened - they may not have known them, of course.

I've know Ralph for years, as have many people on the forum, he was a great encouragement when I first set up this website and wrote most of the film reviews. I'm still shocked as I've only just found out but I wanted to let people know straight away.

He will be greatly missed.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Ralph

Unread post by ray »

I am so sorry, I met Ralph in New York a few years ago and he was a delightful man. I will miss him so much. God Bless him.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Oh my God, that is so shocking. Thank you for letting us know, Bryan. I was wondering why he hadn't posted in a while, especially when the Vanity Fair article appeared. Poor thing.

Rest in peace, Ralph. God speed. I'll keep his family and friends in my prayers...
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I am very sorry to hear Ralph passed away. I met him a few years ago on a trip to NYC - he was a very nice guy. I will miss his comments on the forum. Thank you Bryan for keeping us informed.

pebrogan

Ralph

Unread post by pebrogan »

I am so sorry about the loss of Ralph. I loved readings his postings on the Forum and he was always so interesting, passionate and genuine in all ways.

His reviews were well written and so informative and I will always treasure the kind remarks he would make about my postings when I provided him with information he might not have been aware of. In particular his sheer delight when I provided film grosses that supported the reality that some of DD's latter films were more successful than critics and pundits would have one believe.

I had so hoped to meet him one day in New York City.

He was the kind of Forum Member that helped to make the Forum a very classy, informative, funny and very "family-kind" of place to visit. I would always make my fingers sign in just a bit faster when I noticed that Ralph had posted something.

I know how supportive he was to you and your hard work on the Forum.

We are all fortunate to have known him, even in a peripheral way, and are better for the experience.

God rest him.

Thank you for letting us know what happened to our friend.

Sincerely,
Paul

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I noticed he hadn't been posting and wondered what happened. I always enjoyed his witty comments and his "Read my review people!" When you have been on this forum for a while, the people become like your extended family members. You get to know what they like and dislike (when it comes to Doris).

He certainly was a major contributor to this forum and will be sadly missed.

Thanks Bryan, for letting us know.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Such sad news, so sorry to hear about the loss of a very knowledgeable and interesting man. RIP Ralph.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I'm shocked. I had the pleasure of meeting Ralph in New York a few years back. He was such a nice guy, and his postings ... my goodness, I always looked forward to what he had to say ... usually right on the money. He knew his stuff. May he rest in peace!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

ralph

Unread post by Doris Martin »

my very deep sorrow to all who knew him...Marti

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I am very shocked and saddened at this news; Ralph will be in my prayers tonight. I am quite taken aback how the death of someone I have never met, seen or spoken to, can affect me. As stated, I guess we are all in a way some kind of family scattered all over the World. Like families, we may not always agree but boy, when it comes to it, we stand together. Rest in peace Ralph, I hope you didn't suffer too much in the end.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

oh wow... I didn't read this until now.. so that's why I asked on the email.. that's horribly sad.. I was also wondering why he wasn't posting.. Well, rest in peace Ralph, we'll all miss you..

God Bless everyone..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Ralph

His last post, if that's not too much of a morbid pun is below. It was in response to my topic "Clinton Vs Obama: Straw Poll".
http://dorisday.net/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1959

I'm also grateful to Ralph for introducing me to Bettye LaVette. Her husband, Kevin writes:

"Ralph was one of Bettye's oldest, staunchest supporters, and a friend as well. He may have been her number one fan. He was very vocal in his distaste of today's singers as opposed to Bettye, Aretha, etc. I always enjoyed reading the comments that he would leave on Internet Bloggs about Bettye. He was also very vocal in his feelings of race relations in this country. A man who always spoke his mind, whether it was the "correct thing" to do, or not.
He was a good man, and he will be missed.
God bless you, Ralph.

Ralph posted on March 13th:

"I wouldn't care as long as it's Clinton or Obama. The problem is America's lurid past. This election, as predicted, has turned into a race war (exaserbated by a rabid press).

After nearly 8 years of Bush, America is not looked on in the best light by the rest of the world. What the Democratic Party is trying to do is to convince the world that the USA "has changed." Obama is being used as a tool to prove that. It was working during the early stages of his campaign, but even in the Democratic Party, racism has raised its ugly head.

Many white Americans are tired of being labeled "common racists," while (probably the majority) are secretly thrilled that their ancestors set up this society to benefit THEM and they don't want to see any changes. Isn't that what "conservatism" is all about?) The fact is, racism is deeply imbedded in every fiber of American society. Our TV pundits dig in that ugly pot nightly trying to stir up racial controversy. The Republicans, who would never even consider running a non-white candidate (unless he was an "Uncle Tom") is sitting back watching and enjoying the tap dance.

The ironic thing is the GOP gave us George W. Bush, who is the complete opposite of Obama and Clinton. Bush is "intellectually challenged" and Obama and Clinton are both scholars. But, to the GOP, Bush is more acceptable (for obvious reasons), even if he was never qualified.

America has always had an impact on the customs of other societies, but that influence is running thin. We have always tried to convice the world that we are THE BEST COUNTRY ON THE PLANET and that's why everybody wants to come here. The Streets Are Paved With Gold!! How disappointed many are after they arrive."

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

My deepest sympathies to Ralph's family and friends. I didn't know Ralph, but, I really enjoyed his posts. He was informative and open minded.
He will be missed, he brought a lot to this forum. Ralph, may you have a good journey to the other side.
Velda

ray
I danced with Doris!

Ralph

Unread post by ray »

We all got together in New York I believe it was 2004. It was a Forum get together. Ralph seemed to have a nice time and we even posted pictures on here from that meeting I think. I will miss him so much, we both enjoyed Caprice so much, We joked about that!

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

I will miss Ralph. We are a big family even if we've never meant. Is there something we could all contribute together in his name? Maybe to DDAL?
Barb

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

How very sad, to hear about Ralph's passing. A truly fantastic, and very knowledgeable man. Ralph contributed so much to our forum, and to the members. Paul stated it so well when he described our Ralph.. "He was the kind of Forum Member that helped to make the Forum a very classy, informative, funny and very "family-kind" of place to visit."

Bry, thank you for letting us know what happened to our good friend. We truly feel your sadness too~

Pam~

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

So sad to hear of Ralp's passing.
He was a great contributer to this site, I will mis his posts.
RIP

P

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I am very sorry. My condolences to his family and everyone who knew him. :(
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I feel as all of us on this forum are family.. I don't know if it's just me, but I can definitely feel the love. So, loosing Ralph, although I only talked to him a few times over pm, is very sad. He contributed a lot to this site, and it was always a joy to read his posts, and thoughts and feelings..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

ralph....

Unread post by Doris Martin »

thank you dear Babe....You have just express my feeling very nicelly.Marti

rt

Ralph

Unread post by rt »

Ralph's posts were very interesting. I particularly enjoyed reading his thoughts... He will be missed. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Rum

joe

Ralph McKnight

Unread post by joe »

At first I thought this was a post from Ralph. Like everyone here, I am shocked to learn of his sudden passing. And I also was hoping he would comment on the VF article and wondered why he hadn't done so.

It must be 11 or 12 years since I first "met" Ralph from an early DD fansite and we exchanged several emails. He would send me great photos of Doris that I'd never seen. He was more computer-savvy than I and I appreciated his skills.

I soon realized that Ralph was an even bigger DD fan than I was.

Through Ralph (and Bryan), I have had the pleasure of discovering Bettye LaVette.

It's a sad day.

webmaster

Thank you all for your loving and sensitive comments - it's a fitting tribute to dear Ralph.

I'm feeling more sad about it today than yesterday as it was mostly shock then. I was looking for a photo I had of him to post - he's outside somewhere, smiling or laughing. I don't think it's a recent one as he looks like he's in his thirties in it. Does anyone know it/have it?

I searched Google images for "ralph mcknight" and tons of images from dorisday.net came up so he will always be associated with Doris, to whom he has been so loyal - even when he has not enjoyed a particular film and said so.

I had a search through his emails and it made me feel even worse seeing all the mail I've had from him over the years and realising there will be no more. He was the sort of person you could be completely honest with no matter what you were talking about

He sent me loads of music tracks - one of his favourite, if not favourite, Doris songs was "Kiss Me Again, Stranger" - he was always saying how great that was. I just played it - it's kind of melancholy - or maybe that's the way I'm feeling but it is somehow appropriate as a final tribute to him.

Thank you for everything, Ralph, we will miss you and will hope to see you again one day.

Kiss Me Again, Stranger:
http://tinyurl.com/55j3yf

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

That is a beautiful song and fitting Bryan, kind of bitter sweet but lovely.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I just read the sad news. So sorry to hear about Ralph.
He will be missed.
RIP Ralph.

Thanks for the beautiful song - a sweet tribute.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch