Celebrating Doris

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Celebrating Doris

Unread post by webmaster »

Pam gave me the idea to set up this topic. I'm working on a short video of "On Moonlight Bay" and I was going to wait until I'd finished it before I started the topic but I just saw the post below from Johnny in the "Love Me or Leave Me" film review section and I thought it captured perfectly what it means to 'Celebrate Doris Day'. Thanks Johnny.

Re: Love Me or Leave Me
by Johnny on 13 Jun 2008 10:07 pm
"Love Me Or Leave Me really illustrates the magic of Doris Day. her voice, her charisma, her rapport with her other actors and the audience that lifts this film from ordinary to extraordinary. When she is surrounded by the talent of James Cagney, she is even better. I think the movie going public cast their votes with their dollars to put her in the number one spot and keep her there. Ms Day deserves to be acknowledged by the film industry for her outstanding work that still is respected to this day.It is also a tribute to her that any person of any age can see one of her films and feel good about viewing it."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: Celebrating Doris

Unread post by Doris Martin »

I could nor agree more.Marti

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

My Favorite "Doris Day" Movie..."Calamity Jane!"

Reviewed Michael Rankins // July 31st, 2002

First-time viewers of Calamity Jane may well be surprised at how uncharacteristic Day's performance here is, since she's playing against her usual screen persona. Calam is scruffy, cantankerous, and, well, kind of a mess compared to Day's usual characters. Day even lowers and hoarsens her voice to accord with her character's swaggering, tomboyish demeanor. What's remarkable is how well Day pulls it off. She doesn't hold back—she throws herself into the catamount Calam with gusto and nimble athleticism, creating a comically exaggerated yet lovable persona. It's an impressive example of an actor sinking herself into a role, eschewing vanity for the sake of the characterization. She's also simply radiant when she recognizes her love for Bill Hickok; the look on her face is breathtaking. It's a bravura performance all around.

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

My Avatar is too big :roll: I will work on adjusting the size :D

Pam~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

pam, Thanks so much for the review from mr. Rankins,he really hit it right on the nose didnt he ? Doris is one of only a very few who could have pulled this off.From scruffy tom boy to glowingly beautiful all in one swoop.Lets face it guys, doris may not think she is special, but we ALL know better,she is ONE of a kind.Truly the very best there is.
Doris has a silky perfect voice, an easy down to earth way of making the movie or t. v watcher beleive she is that person she is playing( acting for her is like water off a ducks back ) and her own sweet personality shines through as well.
Ive said it before and i,ll say it again, doris day has NO peers. :D
suzie

webmaster

Doris Day talks about "On Moonlight Bay", with two songs from the film.

(Hey I managed to get it working! 8) We can watch YouTube on here now!

(Post the YouTube url, highlight and click the youtube button above.)

Photos thanks to Lloyd K Jessen.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Beautiful Bryan. I love Love Ya Honey I've always liked Doris' facial expressions in that song. She's so funny. Thanks Bryan!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Now, that's celebrating Doris! That was thoroughly enjoyable , Bryan. I've never heard Doris' comments on this movie. Where did you get that? Great pictures, Lloyd. Also, a thanks to all the members who make the great You Tube videos. Your creativity and effort are appreciated.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Doris Day talks about "On Moonlight Bay", with two songs from the film.

(Hey I managed to get it working! 8) We can watch YouTube on here now!

(Post the YouTube url, highlight and click the youtube button above.)

Photos thanks to Lloyd K Jessen.

Good morning Bryan......what a way to wake up,,,,,Fantastic....I will be happy today and tomorrow and because of you and Doris==Always Marti

webmaster

Thank you. The sound of Doris speaking comes from a promotion she made to publicise the album that came out at the time. She mentions 4 songs from the 'LP', "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" and "Tell Me" were the other two - I just cut and pasted the references to the songs I choose.

Unfortunatly, at that size you can't see the quality of the pics that Lloyd sent, reproduced above, but you can on the original I made.

Great that we can play YouTube on the forum now.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Thoroughly enjoyed that Bryan, thank you for doing it. Lovely to hear Doris speaking and singing two of the songs whilst being accompanied by those beautiful photos and magazine articles...thanks Lloyd!
A wonderful start to my day... :D

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Terrific, Bryan! Really nice. I have always adored her recording of the title tune. Very dreamy. Beautiful use of images! 8)
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Thank you both. Doris always said the "Moons" films were two of her favourite films and she loved going to work while she was making them.
“Day’s third film that year, (1951) "On Moonlight Bay", is one of the movies for which she is most fondly remembered. Extremely successful at the time of its release, it confirmed Day’s popularity with moviegoers. She won the Photoplay Gold Medal Award for her role in the film, an award bestowed at that time by the readers of Photoplay magazine who would cast their votes annually for their favorite male and female star performances…

This passage from carefree tomboy to boy-crazy young girl connected with female adolescents in the audience. Day may have been the girl next door, but even the girl next door had to grow up, leave home, and get married. There is a kernel of truth in the romanticized puberty rites Day undergoes in "On Moonlight Bay". The very fact that she suffered through this transitional period in a girl’s life separates her immediately from the sex goddesses with whom she was contemporaneous.”
George Morris, "Doris Day"

webmaster

Someone on YouTube said:
Hi My mom is here in tears she says thank you so much, she has loved Doris since 1945, her and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts God Bless!!!!!
Isn't that sweet? Doris has so many 'unknown' fans out there.

webmaster

Doris gives some Very Good Advice

I really like it - even if I say so myself! :)

webmaster

I was just watching Doris receive her 1989 Cecil B. DEMille Lifetime Achievement Award, above, posted by Peter Flapper on YouTube. It's not the best quality but it's very interesting - Doris starts off by saying "I'm a wreck, I don't know what to say" and then she says "I really don't!" That's a kind of trademark of hers, she says that a lot to emphasise what she's said before. And then she goes on to give a perfect speech that seems completely spontaneous but being the actress she is she must have thought about it a lot and maybe even rehearsed it. Nowadays, some people say 'I don't know what to say', say nothing and walk off, or thank everyone from parents to pet goldfish, while crying their eyes out loudly (can you cry your eyes out loudly?)

I was thinking, watching her, that's a woman on her own up there. In that situation, I imagine, you really are on your own with the cream of Hollywood watching you, television cameras, photographers - that's probably why she said 'I'm a wreck'. Having mentioned her great leading men (just wondered why she singled out James Garner then - was he in the audience?) the comment to Clint Eastwood, "By the way, I'd like to work with you!" was funny, flirtatious - and brave. Brave because it could have fallen flat. Well it would have if Dom DeLuise had said it. Anyway Doris and Clint were just good friends, which is a shame because Clint was the mayor of Carmel and Doris was (The Most Beautiful) mayor of Universal Studios at one time, and had they got together they could have really cleaned up Carmel.

I was going to say something about what Doris had said about wanting to work in Hollywood again (I didn't believe her anyway! :wink: - although I'm sure she meant it at the time) but my pet goldfish needs feeding.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Byan and I love that clip.

Doris must have been a wreck but she is a pro and it just shows when she has to, she can pull it off - and wonderfully!

The comment about working with Clint was in response to his comment when presenting the clips and award - he said 'she was the woman every man wanted to marry and the woman every girl wanted to be... and seeing [you] up there opposite those power house leading men; my only regret is that I wasn't one of them...'

Regardng Jimmy Garner, when showing clips it cut to a clip of James talking about working with her on MOD - and telling the cracked rib story and about what a pro Doris was. He apologised for not being able to be there and sent love from him and his life. It is quite funny actually because when the clips are showing it shows Doris' reaction and she clearly is not comfortable watching herself and for the most part looks down. However, there is a look of genuine shock when she hears James Garner's voice and her daughter in law [seated beside her] points him out to her from the monitor - then she looks, smiles and really lights up and looks wonderful as she listens to him.

webmaster

Thanks for that, Jas.

This is one of Toni's (dayniac) videos I found on YouTube.

Really like it and always loved the song. 8)

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Toni has been doing a lot of wonderful videos for utube, love all of her stuff she's very talented. :D

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Oh Bry....thanks so much for posting that great video by Toni....
she does such beautiful work on all her videos.

Pam~

webmaster

Yeah, Toni - we want more! :wink: :)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:Yeah, Toni - we want more! :wink: :)
Most definetly.....Marti. it was like a dream.

vonkrum

Unread post by vonkrum »

Hi y'all, well G'day really. When I joined this forum, Bryan said I had to prove my love. I gave him my youtube link and offered my latest essay on The Doris Day Show .. he said I should post my youtube here. So I have chosen my favorite scene at the moment .. tough call, because there are so many to chose from .. so here it is .. I don't do anything pretty, like others, I just get them up there for all to love, admire and share.. Doris you bloody beauty .. love ya..

(I hope this works Bryan .. following your instructions here ...) ok ..

webmaster

That's great! Thanks a lot and welcome to the forum.

(To 'prove his love' he only had to answer an email from me asking if he was a genuine fan (as I thought vonkrum might be some kind of Russian spirit - the kind you drink, not get haunted by) just in case you think I'm asking new member's to go through some strange rituals :) )

Be nice to see some more in your own good time.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Regardng Jimmy Garner, when showing clips it cut to a clip of James talking about working with her on MOD - and telling the cracked rib story and about what a pro Doris was. He apologised for not being able to be there and sent love from him and his life. It is quite funny actually because when the clips are showing it shows Doris' reaction and she clearly is not comfortable watching herself and for the most part looks down. However, there is a look of genuine shock when she hears James Garner's voice and her daughter in law [seated beside her] points him out to her from the monitor - then she looks, smiles and really lights up and looks wonderful as she listens to him.
Is that to be seen somewhere, Jas? On YouTube or similar?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea