Celebrating Doris

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Celebrating Doris

Unread post by webmaster »

Someone posted that on the forum a long time ago, Marion, can't remember who - I think it was removed from YouTube because of a copyright complaint. I seem to remember somone made it available from another link for awhile. My version of the Grammy award for Doris was removed within hours.

Tanja and I had all our Doris Day videos on YouTube removed about 2 years ago after Warner Bros complained. Then, their music division said they saw YouTube as 'free publicity' for their products and encouraged people to play about with them creatively. I'm not sure if the film division has the same policy now but there are TONS of Doris videos on there now and no one is complaining. Point being - if you have it, share it! Would love to see it again.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Our friend wrote:
Hi y'all, well G'day really. When I joined this forum, Bryan said I had to prove my love. I gave him my youtube link and offered my latest essay on The Doris Day Show .. he said I should post my youtube here. So I have chosen my favorite scene at the moment .. tough call, because there are so many to chose from .. so here it is .. I don't do anything pretty, like others, I just get them up there for all to love, admire and share.. Doris you bloody beauty .. love ya..

(I hope this works Bryan .. following your instructions here ...) ok ..
Do you come from Kylie land? ( G'day ) - I like the way you express yourself.

Here's reply to your video:

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

In the spirit of celebrating Doris, I would like share one of the best blog posts on Doris. I fully agree with the passionate moviegoer's view of Doris' movie persona.
http://thepassionatemoviegoer.blogspot. ... t-all.html
Velda

webmaster

I don't think that is a view that many of us would disagree with, Velda, but when he says "Doris, to the best of my knowledge, never played a virgin", I don't think that is true - it was strongly implied in several films, I'm thinking of "On Moonlight Bay" and "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" in particular. Oscar Levant's comment - "I knew her before she became a virgin" simply refers (IMO) to the kind of wholesome film parts that Warner Brothers assigned to her.

She generally did play 'strong women' but she also played the victim in films like "Storm Warning", "Julie", "Midnight Lace" and that is the kind of problem you run into if you try to categorise her. Because she was also a popular singer many see her as an 'entertainer' - in the same way that you never saw Frank Sinatra as 'just' an actor.

But it's nice when someone writes something closer to the truth than you sometimes read. :wink:

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Bryan, What gave Doris her 'virgin' image were the sex comedies. In the fifties all the young women were expected to be virgins and that was not even an issue. Just look at Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Tammy movies. No one saddled Audrey Hepburn and Debbie Reynolds with the virgin image, but, they certainly portrayed young, innocent women. I think that Levant made that remark somewhere in the early to mid sixties. Comedians started to make fun of Doris' image from the mid-sixties onwards.
Velda

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

I know they (the dolls) are called 'kupie dolls', I'd try antique dealers or ebay.
Barb

webmaster

Comedians started to make fun of Doris' image from the mid-sixties onwards.
A few, Velda. Like many other singers she fell out of favour when Elvis and the Beatles came along. The hippies took over for awhile and singers like Doris were considered 'square'. Then the hippies were overtaken by the punks, after everone got fed up with listening to Elton John. After that came disco, (I think) the eighties brought another sound, not sure about the 1990s (rap?) and I hardly ever listen to the top twenty today. But I think Doris always had her fans who still played her music, they just didn't make a big fuss about it. Today she's as popular as ever - if not more so,

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Sadly, That Touch of Mink really added to the "virgin" image, as it was her biggest success at the time, and she did seem to play a 40 year old virgin who was afraid of losing her virginity outside of marriage. The Rock movies didn't really have that element to them. She may or may not have been a virgin in them, and it was her integrity that was at stake in those, not her virginity. But Mink really kind of sealed the deal.

What's cool about the music too is that a younger generation who a discovering a lot of retro things that were once thought square in the 70's and 80's, like highballs and martinis and lounge music are also discovering the music of Sinatra and Day and Fitzgerald.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Just like me!!! I like some contemporary music like, country; christian; and a little pop and rap. But I like the older music better. It just makes better sence to me. It feels better, and sounds better. Pretty much in my mind, it just is better..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

I agree Babe. It just feels better.

It doesn't get tiring. So much of the style of recording now is a lot of repetition in a song. Consequently by the time you get to the end of the song, you don't want to hear it again for awhile. (that's me at least)
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"