Doris Day: General Discussion

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day: General Discussion

Unread post by webmaster »

Please use this section for posts that fall into the area of 'General Discussion' and do not require a whole topic to themselves. You can post about different issues or ask question about Doris here.

Have people seen this:

Philip French's Screen legends: No 7: Doris Day

"Widely loved and steadily evolving into an ambivalent iconic figure alongside Judy Garland."

Philip French, Sunday March 9, 2008, The Observer
She was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1924 as Doris von Kappelhoff and first made her name as a teenage singer, fending off the advances of musicians while touring in the big-band era. In her early twenties, she attracted the attention of Hollywood and was put under contract by Michael Curtiz, top director at Warner Brothers.

He directed her as a tough, gum-chewing chanteuse in It's Magic (aka Romance on the High Seas, 1948), which made her a movie star and for some years she alternated between playing band singers, usually exploited by the men she worshipped (as she was in real life) and serving as Warner's resident 'girl next door', a freckled ingenue with corn-fed charm. Her screen persona came to reflect the tug between professional independence and domestic submission that characterised postwar life in the Western world.
Read More: http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 61,00.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion

"Widely loved and steadily evolving into an ambivalent iconic figure alongside Judy Garland."
I like the 'steadily evolving' for a woman in her eighties. :wink:

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

What she is not a gay icon figure yet? She has not reached Judy Garland's cult status yet? :wink:
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Vicki M

Inside Edition

Unread post by Vicki M »

I happened to be watching INSIDE EDITION today and they had a segment on Doris. They said she now goes by Clara Kappelhoff. The picture did look what might be a recent one. She looked a little heavier. She had long blonde hair under a straw hat. Her face looked basically the same - a little heavier.

They did the typical blurb. It was pretty short, but had a few inaccuracies e.g she was 84, made 4 movies with Rock, etc., Rock was her true love (I may be paraphrasing that one).

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

You know, when ever they have a television thing with Doris.. They always say she and Rock Hudson made 4 movies... We all know they only made 3, so why do they keep saying 4???
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Hey Megan,

Just like Doris said in her last message to the fans, its a way to make money off of me. Don't worry yourself about it . The media is always looking for away to get someone to read their rags. Just keep doing what you do and you will be fine.

:D
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I have seen it, too, and I was very happy that ALL comments on the collection of words (not worth calling it an article) can basically summed be up that she looks great and that the media shouldl leave her alone!
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Theodomus
Honorary Member

She looks terrific for a woman that age!
Marion

----------

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I missed the Inside Edition piece but have seen the photo that has been circulating these past couple of days. Bottom line - Doris is beautiful inside and out! It is great that she is out and about. How ironic - when she was younger and riding her bike all through Beverly Hills, no paparazzi followed her - people might have called out to her but no flashing cameras. Now, years later, they hound her.

My suggestion - we all take a minute or two to say a prayer for Doris - for her health and happiness...she has given us to much for so many years and we all could spare a moment or two to say a prayer for her. GOd bless you, dear Clara!!!!
"The BEST is yet to come."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

This picture was printed by the Daily Mail [UK] with the caption 'A Day out for Doris' - it was generally unflattering but the vast majority of the 70 plus responses [on-line] point out that for a woman of her age; Doris looks fantastic. Personally, I love the picture, and the fact Miss Day is blonde again and nicely co-ordinated, and for the most part, looking amazing for her age. Yes, she does look a slight heavier, but I think the clothes are misleading, belt in that jacket, and that is one fantastic figure the lady still has!

webmaster

I had to have a look - she looks fine but a bit annoyed - she looks like she knew she was being photographed and wasn't happy about it - and who can blame her when you see what they do with it - tabloid rubbish calling her 'an ageing recluse', etc. Obviously if you are in your eighties you could be described as 'ageing' - it's the kind of treatment that The Rolling Stones always get 'ageing rockers' etc. It's so disrespectful. And then they criticise her for not wearing make-up. No wonder she doesn't go out much.

Please don't post the photo or link folks - if people want to view it you can find it if you look for it.

Although I did like this photo I'd never seen before.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

After half an hour of searching, I found the picture... Yes, Doris does look older but she's 84 for heavens sake. And I think she looks very good for an 84 year old. My great grandma was born the same year Doris was, and she died 2 years ago... And she didn't look half as good as Doris does now... sorry grandma..lol Yes, she's also put on some pounds... But she eats a lot, she even said so in the radio program...

I don't know. If I was out in Carmel that day, I know I'd have spotted her. I don't know if I'd had said hello or not... The lady only wants peace, we should probably try to give it to her...

God bless you Doris! We all know she's blessed us..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Well said, Megan.

The reason I asked people not to post the photo or link to it is because it is a snatched paparazzi photo taken without her permission. I remember she wasn't happy about the ones snatched in a supermarket car park some years ago and I was asked to remove them from the forum.

She's given more than most back and, as has been said, she should be allowed the freedom to do normal things without paparazzi-style photos published with lurid descriptions implying she's a bit dotty when we know she's as sharp as a knife mentally and DOESN'T go around collecting stray animals OR live on her own. The downside of these books is that certain 'untruths' are being reported over and over again and presented as facts.

We know Doris is an intelligent and kind person who values her privacy - I'm sure if she invited you to her house you would be met with a welcoming smile and not the expression shown there where someone is invading her privacy and taking unwanted photos of her to make money.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I too saw the photo, and I was happy to see her out and about. She stands straight, walks by herself, and I think she looks very good for a woman of her age. She still, obviously, cares about how she dresses. She does look as though she might have known someone was taking her picture, and wasn't happy about it. But, if she were smiling I think she would have looked very pretty. As is, she looked just fine.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Well said, Bryan :-)
Marion

----------

webmaster

I looked up the word 'recluse':
A recluse is someone in isolation who hides away from the attention of the public, a person who lives in solitude, i.e. seclusion from intercourse with the world. The word is from the Latin recludere, which means "shut up" or "sequester".

A person may become a recluse for many reasons: a celebrity may seek to escape the attentions of his or her fans; a misanthrope may be unable to tolerate human society; a survivalist may be practicing self-sufficiency; and a criminal might hide away from people to avoid detection by police. It can also be due to psychological reasons, like: apathy, an autism spectrum disorder, a phobia, schizoid personality type, or due to avoidant personality disorder. A recluse can also be considered as a loner.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recluse

Some famous recluses are named as:

Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd guitarist. From his departure from Pink Floyd up to his death he kept a low profile, recording only two solo albums, granting no interviews and doing no live shows.
John Drew Barrymore, American actor and father of famous actress Drew Barrymore.
Marlon Brando, famous method actor, described as very reclusive - especially after his son murdered his daughter's boyfriend, and his daughter committed suicide five years later.
Julie Christie, British Actress and Academy Award Winner
John Deacon, English bassist with the rock band Queen.
Doris Duke, philanthropist.
Bob Dylan, musician who went into a 20-month seclusion after a motorcycle accident.
Agnetha Fältskog, Fomer Singer of ABBA.
Bobby Fischer, the former world chess champion.
Greta Garbo, actress, finished her life as a recluse in New York City, refusing interviews or photographs.
George Harrison, songwriter who went on hiatus several times during his life, particularly during the '90s until his death in 2001.
Howard Hughes, movie producer and aircraft entrepreneur, who suffered from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
The band Kraftwerk, influental German electronic music group. Their legendary Düsseldorf studio, Kling Klang, has no telephone, no fax machine, no receptionist and returns all mail unopened. They have not attended a photo shoot since 1978.
Stanley Kubrick, film-maker. He rarely gave interviews, or was ever seen in public, although close friends and family all regarded him as a fairly normal person, contrary to the public myths surrounding him.
Van Morrison, musician.
Morrissey, former lead singer of The Smiths.
Danielle Steel, writer. Rarely gives interviews or public appearances out of desire to protect her family.
Sly Stone, funk musician. Made almost no public appearances and did little recording from 1987-2007.
Patrick Süskind, German author of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
John Swartzwelder, most prolific writer of The Simpsons. He has been credited with over 60 episodes, most of which are classics.
Jan-Michael Vincent , American actor who was last seen in public at 2004. He is currently said to be retired from acting and lives a very secluded life in Warren County without contact with the local residents.
Scott Walker, musician.
Donna Wilkes, actress best known for sitcom Hello Larry and film Angel. Has not acted since 1991; whereabouts unknown.
Brian Wilson, singer and songwriter for The Beach Boys.

Don't see Doris on the list anywhere! :P

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I'm watching the 101 top celebrity oops on tv... And It's down to the top 10's... AND DORIS DAY IS ON IT!!!! They said it was an oops that she didn't accept the Mrs.Robinson role in The Graduate... I was just excited to see Doris' pictures as they talked about it...lol
Megan
-----------------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Bryan, and if she is a recluse - So what?

I know, you agree with me ;-) but honestly- WHO has the right to complain about that?

The fans she has given so much already?
Hollywood?
The Media?

NO ONE!
Marion

----------

webmaster

The thing is I don't think she is a recluse. She's just a private person now with her own friends, a job, and different interests to when she was a Hollywood actress. That doesn't make her a recluse. It's just a media word being used to sell stories and books about her.

Sometimes I feel like a recluse - you've arranged to see friends and you think 'Oh God, I wish I didn't have to do this - I'd prefer to stay home!" But, of course, you usually enjoy it and were glad you made the effort. But a real recluse won't interact with other people and are completely wrapped up in themselves and often have mental problems.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I was referring/compairing to this:
Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd guitarist. From his departure from Pink Floyd up to his death he kept a low profile, recording only two solo albums, granting no interviews and doing no live shows.
Agnetha Fältskog, Fomer Singer of ABBA.
Greta Garbo, actress, finished her life as a recluse in New York City, refusing interviews or photographs.
I mean, they all still had/have their private lifes, they just didn't want to go public anymore.
A recluse is someone in isolation who hides away from the attention of the public, a person who lives in solitude...
I think she is not even a complete recluse in the meaning of the first part of this definition (attention of the public) - just look at the radio interviews she does - let alone the second part.
Marion

----------

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I saw the photo Doris looks to be in wonderful health and beautiful. I didn't bother reading much of the article it looked to be the usual rubbish, written about Doris Day of late.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

I also do not think she is a recluse! She is living her life the way she chooses and why not do it "her way". She looked wonderful in the photo and I hope I look at least half as good when I am her age. God Bless her!

Should this thread be moved to the member forum -- so that the cruising websters don't take our comments and mis-use or mis-quote in the next tabloid issue?
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Howard [about the smile] - no one has a smile like Doris Day!
Bryan, I agree too about the books - so annoying to read untruths and fabrications!
Bryan, they haven't even got it right about the lack of make up [if you look closely] Doris is wearing a light frosted lipstick and I would say some very light foundation. And to reiterate, she looks fabulous to me!

webmaster

Let's leave the topic here, Diane. I don't think the tabloids are interested in us.

It's interesting that the press don't do this to male stars - for example, you don't see pics of James Garner saying he looks a bit old and could do with some make-up on.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I don't think the press see James Garner as a "recluse". He is still out doing movies and all, so the press really isn't interested in him... They're only interested in the people who want to be left alone..
Megan
-----------------