Doris Day: General Discussion

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion

Unread post by webmaster »

Of course it's not true, Natalier. Didn't you listen to her on her birthday broadcast in April?

She's more articulate than George Bush - and he's running the country.

She was looking 'annoyed' in the photo (I think), not 'distant' because some stranger was photographing her without permission.

She's been called Clara for many years, it's one of her nicknames, as well as Dodo - no big deal.

Don't believe all you read.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Bryan is absolutely right.
She sounded great on her birthday and definitely is very alert.
I think these people who keep describing her as a recluse want her to be that way because they don't have anything else better to do that talk about her in a negative way.
Carol

webmaster

Yeah, they should be shot - at least! Where's that gun that Chuck Heston left me in his will? Oh, I forgot, it wasn't allowed into the UK. We'll have to get Gerard to fly over them in his Spitfire and drop leaflets saying 'Tell the truth or surrender'.

That's the thing about 'the media', mostly they have no principles, they are run by people who's sole objective is to get attention and make money, not necessarily in that order, and staffed by people who need the pay cheques. When it's outside their comfort zone (Brittany Spears) they know nothing and have to cut and paste anything they can find to write an article. In some ways they are more guilty. David K studied his subject, spoke to everyone he could and then wrote his book. He may not have come to all the right conclusions but it's better than these hacks who don't seem to care what they print.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I am sorry to to appear dim...but aren't the media getting their subject matter from these books?

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

VERY INTERESTING....how can one be a recluse if you happily respond to birthday well wishers every year on the radio? Do you think the members of congress consider her a recluse when she overwhelms them with letters and phone calls and petitions on behalf of her animal causes?
It is my think..and only that...this particular picture was probably taken on one of those days when something was not available at the house and Doris had to run somewhere to get it. She put on a little makeup, a little lipstick, and some sort of coverup, not having planned in advance to have to be going out. Unfortunately, some dingdong photographer was waiting for just that...she probably saw him and thought to herself ("oh dear!)..so much for the lack of a smile. She was not expecting to be seen and certainly not photographed. It is my understanding that she shares her home with several others, but by the way she talks on the radio shows each year,A pesky friend of mine recently went to Carmel, found her house and rang the doorbell. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, DORIS ANSWERED THE DOORBELL RING!! She apologized for not coming out to meet and greet, but she explained, that if she did it for one fan, she would have to do it for all, and she just couldn't do that. Well put, Doris!
I do wish she would come out for a tv interview or something, maybe as a special Christmas present for her fans. But much as he is maligned for writing THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE GIRL NEXT DOOR, I think David Kaufman, at the end of the book, said very rightly: "We fans (himself included) will probably never see Doris Day again...and we should accept it." He is probably right..but I sure hate to think about it.
That said..she continues to brighten my every day..because every day, I listen to more of her music, search the web for more things I don't have (just discovered a beautiful recording by her of SILENT NIGHT), and continue to delight in reading the things said by all of you who love her as I do. VIVA LA DORIS DAY..NOW AND FOREVER MORE!!!

This post has been edited slightly...I have removed a small portion of it as who lives or does not live with Doris is not being discussed and I have adjusted the 'what Doris' thought' comment, as the word I replaced with dear is not appropriate. Sheila

webmaster

Nice comments, Mike and very enjoyable to read. I think we all treasure her every day in our own way and I am still discovering songs I've never heard before, I still haven't seen all of her films and I find her still a very inspiring character - hence the website, the forum etc. Can I explain it? No. She just has that kind of effect on those who are open to it.

We live in a cynical material age and people like Doris, and she is not the only one, provide some relief and allow you to go places that money can't buy. Whatever is being said against her will not stand at the end of the day because people have a lot of affection for her.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Oh dear, I'm gone to go to school and this much has gone on??? I agree with what most of you have said. Annie, I loved your comment to that site or whatever... I thought it was very well thought through.. I was thinking of posting a comment, but I don't think I'd be able to compose and put all of my thoughts together...

Oh Bryan, I like the new words on your avatar..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Wonderful points, everybody.

She didn't sound like too much of a recluse on the birthday show. It seems like many restaurants in town know her and know her favorite dishes. And a couple of the radio dj's talked with her about having lunch with her relatively often. And she answered to the name Doris Day. Or did I miss her telling them to "Call me Miss Kappelhoff!" :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Megan, I was also at school today and missed all of the talk.

I can be black and white in my view of the world sometimes, but if she wants to be called, Clara, why did I receive a nice autograph from her a couple of months ago and it was signed" Love, Doris Day."

I would think that if I wanted to be called by a some other name that I would totally stop using my old one.

I just hope that Miss Day does not totally shut the door to her fans that truly love her, because of some jerks out there trying to make some fast money.
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Daisy June

She is Doris Day to all of us. Yes her close friends call her Clara and Dodo but they have done that for years.
I can tell you all first hand. She is still as beautiful as ever. I met her in 2005 and she was still as lovely as ever.

There is nothing about her being a recluse that is true in our eyes. Who wouldn't want to be a recluse with those nuts :mrgreen: out there stalking her.

Doris is well and doing fine believe me. It's great she has so many loyal fans and friends that still believe in her and still love her work. She's just the best forever and always.

Carol

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

In a German article of today it was stated that a spokesperson of Doris has rejected all rumours that she is a recluse and would be loosing touch with reality.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

I found this article from UPI, a reputable and newsworthy source. This may be a good
"first place" to launch our campaign against all of the tabloid reporting. No comments have been posted at this time. Any thoughts or takers?
NEW YORK, Aug. 13 (UPI) -- Doris Day's publicist is shooting down reports the 84-year-old U.S. screen icon is now an unkempt recluse who brings stray dogs and cats home to her estate.
Link http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2 ... 218676835/
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Daisy June

Diane, I believe evey word that her publicist said.

She is sharp as a tack.

Carol

webmaster

I tried to register but the only choice of countries is USA & Canada so it's up to you guys living on that side of the planet.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

I know this article is from 2003 and you might have it posted somewhere on this forum from past discussions, but I am posting it to show what an intelligent and passionate person Doris is in this article speaking about animal welfare. We all know this for a fact, but I was just impressed anyhow reading it.

http://www.goldduets.com/Doris%20Day%20Interview.htm

Some of the links might be broken, because it is an old article.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Jams Garner, according to his daughter, is perfect. But photos of him showed :
Garner - clutching a cane and wearing the colours of his favourite college American football team, the University of Oklahoma - appeared vacant and oblivious to the photographers snapping away at him.
It is sad to see people going away in little pieces.

If Doris' publicist has said something, I would assume that this is the manner is which the person she represents would want something represented, not necessarily the way it is. Tabloids do represent people in a distorted manner sometimes, and sometimes not. But so do these PR people. They just put out press releases. She does damage control if necessary - that is her job. In this case, anyone who heard Doris on her last birthday knows Doris is her fun-loving normal self.
The British newspaper The Evening Standard quoted some of her neighbors as saying the actress now calls herself Clara Kappelhoff and picks up stray animals to live on her property in California.
[Deleted as the above quote is definitely not true. (Marion)] What I thought interesting about Doris's picture, was that her clothes were new : immaculate and even her shoes, even though they looked like work clothes.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Gerard,

I saw the photo that you are talking about on the tabloid while I was standing in the supermarket check-out line.

I thought to myself,Wow,James Garner is still a handsome man. Yes, I know he has been sick lately, and I would not spend my money on the pack of lies that the tabloid is trying to sell.

What exactly are you trying to imply? That Doris's publicist is just doing her job? That James Garner's daughter is the only one who thinks he is perfect?

By the way, work clothes? Guess most Americans are dressed in their "work clothes" now days. It called: I'm 84 years old and I will be damn comfortable when I go out to shop.

Gerard, trying being a little sensitive.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

These tabloids are the pits. And that story about Doris running around picking up strays and looking like a bag lady have been around since 1992 or before and not true. The woman has worked for her entire life. Getting up at 4 am, traveling to promote movies and the book. she should be left alone. I don't see what's wrong with working hard and then moving on to something else and enjoying one's home too. When a person works, they're hardly ever home. I think its wonderful that Doris has suck a lovely home and can stay there an enjoy it. That's what part of retirement is about. Just because she isn't out doing commercials or singing in night clubs doesn't mean she's still not vital. And I really do not think she is losing her memory. That is just a bunch of baloney. Sorry for the little rant but the media drives me crazy.

Daisy June

Very well said Jake.

Carol

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Laurie wrote:By the way, work clothes? Guess most Americans are dressed in their "work clothes" now days. It's called: I'm 84 years old and I will be damn comfortable when I go out to shop.
I like to wear comfy clothes. People at school wear sweats and stuff all the time. Who doesn't want to be comfortable?? Sometimes I even wear sweatshirts 2 sixes too large for me. It just adds to being comfy.. I think Doris' clothes look like any normal outfit that someone would wear..

Nicely said Jake..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Daisy June

Doris has the right to wear what she wants. She's 84 and not in the public eye anymore.

She's doing what she loves best. Helping the animals. Is she supposed to wear a evening dress or a suit to live at her home and take care of her animals? I'm sure if she was to make an appearance on TV (which will probably never happen) she would be gorgeous as always. :) :)

Give it up Tabloid people. :mrgreen:
Carol

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

gerard wrote: What I thought interesting about Doris's picture, was that her clothes were new : immaculate and even her shoes, even though they looked like work clothes.
Gerard, I thought the exact same thing: absolutely spotless. Crazy bag-stray animal-ladies do NOT have immaculate clothes and shoes. That picture alone proved their story false. 8)
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

globack

Unread post by globack »

You know, one thing that rings true about her life is honesty. In her book she states that she never wanted fame but just wanted a family. If you look at her life up to the time that Melcher died, she was doing whatever it took to keep her family together. I think Melcher wanted her in show business and that is why she stayed in it. It maintained his drive for that life. Once he was gone, she ended her show business career when her last contract was satisfied. I look at the life she has lived since her exit and her words do ring true that show business was never anything she desired. That is one of the things about this lady that is so endearing. She has a true honesty about her life and it makes you want to cheer for her.

A few days ago at lunch there was a young lady waiting in line at a restaurant we were at. Her face had a striking resemblance to Doris Day. I asked her if anyone ever told her that she looks like Doris Day. She said, “I’ve been told that…I hope it’s a compliment?” If she only knew what a compliment it was.

George

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Although I do not believe for a second that Doris is addle brained and living as a bag lady, I do think it possible that Doris has spied loose animals, dashed out, and has bagged them in Carmel, to bring them home for care. She may have done this at a time she felt immune from public scrutiny. But the preposterous manner in which this was represented, of course, was entirely slanderous and defamatory. If you get angry at these people stalking you with their camera, they take a picture of that! Whew! Then you are a tempest, a crazed person, possibly with touretts syndrome. If you ignore them, they claim you are vacant and unresponsive, etc. Doris is the expert of how to handle these situations. I feel sorry for her having to deal with it.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

I do think it possible that Doris has spied loose animals, dashed out, and has bagged them in Carmel, to bring them home for care.
Anything is possible - but where's the evidence? Surely these kind of statements need to be backed up with proof. Even the recent books don't claim this and Doris herself, on the Carson show, said she didn't want people to bring her strays. It doesn't make sense, she's always had more animals than she could look after (my impression) so why should she go looking for more?