Being a Doris Day Fan

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Being a Doris Day Fan

Unread post by Dianne »

I was just wondering if any on the forum discuss Doris Day with their friends who are not (yet) Doris fans. If you do, how do they feel about you being a fan? As for me, my 39 y.o. sister thinks I'm old and out-dated, my husband asks me how many more films, cd's and books do I need, and when the mail man comes to deliver a brown envelope...he says...another Doris Day photo? My 5 year old niece loves Doris and she can sing, as she calls it, the Bojumb boom song. She knows all the words to EveryBody Loves a Lover and Que Sera Sera -- She thinks Doris is beautiful. Two of my favorite topics are Doris and politics...most people can talk politics, few can discuss Doris. This is why I love the forum :D
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Re: Being a Doris Day Fan

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Yes, I discuss her all the time. When I have a friend stay the night, they're always required to watch a minimum of 1 Doris Day movie. Which after that, they can't stop.. I think more people my age should learn about the older movies and their actors and actresses. I'm sure most of them will find, like me, that they'll like the older stuff WAY better!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I'm just as big a fan as you both are. I adore Doris Day. I have all her movies, tons of cd's and her albums back when we bought records, even some 45's. I have ordered a ton of stuff and I love anything about Doris Day.
I wish she would make more movies, which I'm sure that won't happen, so I will just have to keep watching her movies over and over as I always do...never tire of them.
Carol

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I think I've introduced all of my friends to Doris Day over the years but I've never met anyone who was as big a fan as me - or anywhere near. Although some, the minority, have been big fans of other performers. People tend to like what is current but I think because I have an eclectic taste and enjoy a wide variety of films and music that people have seen my enjoyment of her, especially as a singer, as just an expression of my normal good taste! :wink:

Actually, I'm still introducing people to her, a friend of mine, a singer, had never heard anything other than the standards, "Secret Love", "Que Sear, Sera", etc so when I did some music CDs for a friend's birthday party she started to get interested and asked me "Who was that?" after a track from Latin for Lovers or something. Then the other day, we all went to her mother's house in the country and she phoned up and said 'Can you bring some of your Doris Day CDs?". It's a bit like being a Jehovah's Witness! :D
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes , I have intoduced my sisters children to our darling doris, and they love her too.Everyone knows any gift you buy me can be anything doris day, and im thrilled . :lol: My cousin is now a huge fan thanks to me, and looks high and low for anything "doris " for my presents. This forum is a wonderful gift to me, I love being able to visit with all of you fellow DD fans. Thank you so very much MR. james, you are a doll.oh and I adore your new avatar. 8)
suzie

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank you, Suzie. I think I'm really more like James Cagney than Alice in Wonderland, although I like to visit that part of the world sometimes (as in fantasy not cross-dressing!). Clarification: more like Cagney in that I am a member of the same sex

It's great to be able to share your enjoymet of Doris with people from 'everywhere'.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

When I think about it, I have been a Doris Day fan most of my life. My friends knew it and accepted it. My parents and teachers hoped I would grow up and out of the "fan" stage. As I read some inscriptions in my high school year books from St Agnes Academy, Indianapolis, I see things like "To Doris Day's Greatest Fan." If anyone had told me then that I would meet her, work for her and live with her, I would have thought they were crazy. Little did I know then what was ahead for me because I followed my dream...actually, I never even dreamed about this...it was all meant to be and happened.

After I began working for Doris and would write home to family and friends, they would eagerly await news from Hollywood...it was way beyond anything I could imagine. Even while I was working for Doris I was always a fan and she knew it. I was and always will be a fan of Doris - she is a great Lady and invited me into her world and that was the ultimate. gift. We had great times together...precious memories. God bless you, dear Doris.
"The BEST is yet to come."

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I've been a big fan since I was 5 and I remember when I was younger forcing friends to see at least one scene from a Doris Day movie. Be it the camper scene from WSYGE, the carwash scene from MOD. Today I talk about her and try to educate my friends. Many have not seen even 2 Hitchcock movies, so I feel it is my duty to expose them to good actors and movies instead of letting them watch today's junk. I've been successful with a few friends. My best friend from High School is a fan now and my football teamate thinks she's "hot". Its progress, but when I mention her name and people say, "who?"... I could just go into orbit. :shock:

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

I've converted a few over to our gal, but I usually get a blank stare. Twice, recently, people have argued with me that Doris had already passed on. In both cases, they had her confused with Dinah Shore!

My really close friends know how I feel about Doris....and will often already know if a Doris film is on TV. They don't call when she's on! When "Lover Come Back" was on TCM yesterday, one of them called me on his way home from Savannah....when I told him Doris was on, I heard him tell the whole car "He's watching Doris again!".....

Blair

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

When SUNDAY MORNING did its bit on Doris, I did not have the tv on. Within the course of 4 minutes, I received 5 phone calls from friends telling me to turn on the tv because they were doing a segment on Doris. So much for "telling my friends about Doris". Most ot them love her, too!