What attracted you to Doris Day

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

What attracted you to Doris Day

Unread post by Dianne »

What attracted you most to Doris -- was it a song, her dancing, how beautiful she is, her humanitarian accomplishments? I sense that all of us *feel* a connection...isn't it great?

For me, at probably 8 years old or so, I was immediately taken by how beautiful she was...an air of a very genuine person on screen, an innocense...that is definitely genuine...which drew me to her films, her music, dancing...can't explain the feeling...but it was and is wonderful!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Daisy June

Re: What attracted you to Doris Day

Unread post by Daisy June »

Well the first time I saw her was at the movies in 1959 I was 13 yrs old. ("Pillow Talk") and that was it was for me. She was so beutiful and those faces she made. Who could not like her? She has everything. Looks, great figure, beautiful smile, her singing, acting, she has the whole package and she just got more beautiful as the years went by. I will never adore anyone like I do Doris Day. She is my inspiration always.
Carol

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I was first taken by her beauty in Move Over Darling, then with her singing of Twinkle Lullaby. Then I began to study her. And as I knew more and more about her, I started to like her more and more. And though it doesn't seem possible to me, I seem to like her more everyday!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I have loved Doris Day since I was a 12 year old,and saw her in TTOIA, the movie was on television and I remember how she made me laugh. My mother looks just like her, and everyone always said "you just love doris so much because she looks just like your mom. Well that may have something to do with it, but I think its mostly, because doris seemed just like ONE of us. Perhaps that is where the "girl next door " comes in ,doris is so down to earth that she feels like a friend.
I think doris is perfect at singing, dancing , and acting (more so than any other people in show biz ) not putting the others down, but doris is the standard. That golden voice, that smooth dancing, great acting (comedy or drama) and on top of all that she,s darling . People the whole world over love her, and she is so modest, that she dosnt even know why.I have to say that I am grateful to mr.martin melcher for putting doris in some of the movies, we love ,but that doris would have never done, and also the t v series we have the pleasure of watching (even now in the 2008 ) The world may go to heck in a hand basket (as my grandma used to say ) but I will love doris day forever. :D
suzie

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

I honestly don't remember when I wasn't attracted to Doris Day. Have no idea when I first became aware of her. I do remember when I was 4 or 5, my cousin married a girl named Doris. I thought he had married Doris Day and was quite upset when I saw his wife for the first time....she was a blond, but that was where the resemblance ended! I also recall my family listening to the 78rpm version of "Silver Bells" that Doris recorded in the early 50's. Her voice, on that record, always reminds me of childhood Christmases.

Blair

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I used to go and see old films with my friends when I was at school. We went to a local flea pit that was very cheap and popular with local street urchins - normal kids like me who were allowed to roam free and didn't think twice about it.

Usually we saw action films but one day they showed "On Moonlight Bay". I was completely smitten. I don't understand it to this day but it was a fact. The film was set in the early twenties so I thought she might be quite old by then but luckily she was already very well known and still young.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I saw her when I was a young child and I'd have to say I liked her because she was so funny. I'm sure that her beauty and talent also added to it.
The Doris Day Show

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

My mom took me to see "Pillow Talk" when I was a child. Doris just projected something real, lovely and genuine for me.

She had a way of being thoroughly charming and down to earth that no other star has ever matched in my book.

The other thing is that her characters in the early 60's romantic comedies paralleled my mother's drive to succeed in the business world without compromising her integrity or her principles. I always felt that in many ways Doris represented the best that women could aspire to be at that time in the US.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Hello, all her ability to do anything to perfection//// was one thing, secondly when I saw in BBC her biography....that did it.,marti

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

That is all true, Donna but you've touched on a sore point of mine in that you refered to her as an 'actor. I don't know why 'actress' fell out of favour but if it was intended to be some equal opportunities gambit, it failed. If all sexes were called actressess then I would see it as a blow for women's lib but now they are just 'actors'. Why not call women men and be done with it? Also it's great word, actress, I might campaign to have it restored. :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

My first introduction to Doris was seeing her in "Calamity Jane" when I was 10 years old. My Mother took me and a friend and we both just loved Doris - her singing, her smile and her tom-boy acting in this movie. She was simply GREAT! I saw that movie several times. It wasn't until a couple years later that I heard the song "Pretty Baby" and there must have been something in that song that appealed to me too. By the time "It Happened to Jane" came out in 1958 I was hooked...my high school year books have many inscriptions from friends saying "To Doris Day's greatest fan," or "To Doris Day II." It is fun to catch up with friends from 50 years ago who remember my early Doris Day years - they are all so happy that I followed my dream. Doris represented then and now the ALL AMERICAN GIRL - a wholesome, fun-loving person who made you feel good. Can't think of anyone today who comes close. Feel sorry for young people now with no one worth anything to look up to....I am thrilled that many young people, including many on this forum, are discovering Doris. How lucky for them to recognize this wonderful Lady. When people aske me "was she as nice as she appeared to be in person?" I am quick to comment, "She was that and more, a lovely, fun-loving Lady."
"The BEST is yet to come."

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

It was her intelligence. I never latched on to the stars that played such blatant sex objects. But then there was Doris Day. Beautiful and oh-so-sexy. She seemed to be the balance of all the amazing woman qualities. Intelligence that complimented her beauty, beauty that caused you to feel her heart was just as beautiful, a heart that made you feel her laughter was sincere, and her ability to make you laugh, giggle and grin at her comedy.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I was so young when I first saw Doris Day on TV in an afternoon film over one Easter. I think it was By the Light of the Silvery Moon for I remember Mary Wickes having a coat similar to my grandmother who also watched the film [she came to stay with us for a weekend and stayed 4 years]. Around the same period I think I saw Love Me or Leave me - but again, was too young to really register.

What really got me into Doris Day was seeing Calamity Jane several years later and by the time I was a teenager and had discovered Pillow Talk - I was smitten! In fact my sisters and I used to watch Pillow Talk all the time and never tired of it!

By the early 1980s I was well and truly hooked on Doris Day and that was the time any press on her [and there was so little] was saying she had become a recluse etc. I read her book around 1983 and first wrote to her in 1985 and my devotion and admiration has just grown and grown with the years. I really can't describe it, it is more that her amazing talent, she really is something so special and unique. Of course the fact she plays so fair in life and the work she has done for the animals is the icing on the cake!

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

hello, dear Jas1....I wish you could expres my feelings about our Doris the way you did it....it was like you reading my mind.....Thank you.I love and admire her sooo much.Marti

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I am new to this forum, but have been a frequent visitor and I am excited to contribute because Doris Day, in my book, is simply the best out there. But you all know that.

I was 5 when I first saw a Doris Day movie and I remember it so vividly. It was 1982, summer and my mom was taping With Six You Get Eggroll. In those days you had to keep the tv on while recording. My mom was busy cleaning upstairs and I came down and saw this on TV. It was the party scene where Calico covers his head during an ear splitting conversation and Doris had on that great red dress. Doris just had this realism about her and she seemed like a nice lady. At 5 I had not seen too many films with real people, except the wizard of oz. I saw her and it was love at first sight. I remember loving the scene where Doris's character Abby leaves the house in her nightgown to take Jake back Cleo in the camper. It was so funny. I was hooked. I asked my mom who the pretty lady was in the funny film with the camper. Doris Day. Well, I called her Doris Night and Florence Day a few times simply because I couldn't remember the name. Well I never forgot it after that and she has been my favorite ever since. And With Six You Get Eggroll is probably still my favorite because that was the first Doris Day movie I ever saw. She always was pretty. She conveyed kindness and warmth without being a simpering character. You knew she had a backbone. She got angry. She seemed like a real person and I never got the feeling she was acting. She reminded me a little of my mom too. That scene in the camper where she has that fight. That seemed so real to me. It sounded like the stupid arguments my parents had when I was a kid. I guess her honesty and her ability to portray her characters so convincingly that it doesn't seem like an act is what I also like.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

She was vivacious, and did you see the way she climbed those stairs in the Doris Day Show?
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I enjoy reading everyone's stories of why they love Doris. Jake, such a cute story.

Love the avatar, Gerard!
The Doris Day Show

DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Unread post by DorisDayFanatic »

The first doris day film i ever saw was when i was 6,and saw Please Don't Eat The Daisies and fell in love with her, and when I was 15 started to collect her movies. I am 21 now and still love Doris with all my heart, she is a true inspiration. And my apartment is like a doris day museum lol i have a piece of memorbilia from all 39 of her films, and also have a lifesize cardboard standup of Doris that I had made. Have most of her recordings, and used to own all 39 of her films. But i sold the ones that wern't on dvd, since rumors are by 2009 all 39 of her films will be on dvd. Here's hoping :)

DORIS ROCKS!!!!

dorismakjones

Unread post by dorismakjones »

I was away in college and had "borrowed" some old LPs of my parents to take with me.

I wore out DAY BY DAY the LP.

I liked the Rock Hudson comedies before that but it was really her singing that got me into her as a teenager.

After that I happened to get her autobiography out of the library and then she was in the news when she turned 63 or 64 for a big newspaper spread and I actually called Terry Melcher at that time through my connections and wanted to know if his mother was serious about acting again. At that time, he said she was. That must have been 1992?

Actually as I read this over, it was DAY BY NIGHT her 1956 album that made me really like her and appreciate her through her singing. I've got the CD on right now...