What movie did Miss Day have best hairdo

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: What movie did Miss Day have best hairdo

Unread post by suzie »

My favorite hair style for doris is short. I didnt like her hair long (even when she was young, and later when she wore it long on her show and after the show ). Lets face it doris is so very lovely no matter what ,but her hair short like she wore it in rays avatar is the way I like it most.Made her look sooo much younger. Doris looks great no matter what. I also loved doris hair in pillow talk.Very lovely.
suzie

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

Hello I'm the new girl in town...

I agree, I love her hair short. Teacher's Pet is perhaps my top. I like it when it is fuller on top. I also think the chin length bob was nice. However, for elegant, the Midnight Lace was just gorgreous.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

My favourite hairstyles of Doris were from Midnight Lace- especially when worn long - really stylish and wonderful looking.
Followed closely by the DA look 1954-58; the bob look circa 1966 [GBB] and the longer flicked look of Thrill of It all and Touch of Mink. Also love her hair swept up a la Pillow Talk/ Please Don't eat the Daisies.
As stated before, I really dislike the Gertrude Wheeler hair do circa 1950-52 - as did Miss Day [in retrospect]!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Hi Erica, welcome to this wonderful forum.Hope to hear alot from you.Isnt doris the very best ? We love her here and enjoy visiting with our fellow DD admirers. Jas1, I loved doris' hair in TTOIA too, and pulled up in the french twist like in PDETD, oh lets face it the lady has beautiful hair no matter what ... :wink:
suzie

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

I like her hair in "The Pajama Game" and in "With Six You Ger Eggroll" - to begin with! :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

My favorite hairstyle was that of the Teacher's Pet era....shorter...very smart!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I loved her hair in Lover Come Back and With Six You Get Eggroll. I think her hair looks good anytime .
I think it was also pretty in Touch of Mink She just looks good however it is in my opinion.
:lol:

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I liked her hair the best in the Glass Bottom Boat, Do Not Disturb, Caprice (although it was a wig) and With Six You Get Egroll. I think she looked the best in some variation of the dutch bob.

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

Hi Suzie, thanks for the welcome. When it comes to Doris Day I love to join in conversation. It's great to have a place where others admire her just as much (or more Babe!)

I did also like her hair in TTOIA.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

donna robertson wrote:I just love DD hair its so thick and manageable would die for hair like hers, always healthy looking , must admit I like her hair shortish or short, didnt like it much in her first films when she had it on her shoulders, but then she suits it almost anyway, either back from her face, updo or just cut short in DA style, whats your favourite?

Her hair is pretty good, however,its not the best, but by today's standards it is. I agree that her hair looks best shorter, She is not a long hair person.

Here's a story you all might appreciate.

My mother's hairdresser used to cut Doris Day's hair when he was younger. (He CUT it. He did not style it). He worked on WSYGE and her TV series. He said her hair was over processed from being bleached and dyed so many different shades of blonde. He said they used alot of hair pieces, wiglets, falls to conceal the damage, especially in the DD Show. He said she was the nicest, kindest woman. Always greeted people warmly and was very courteous. He added that she was pretty tan and had tons of freckles. He had nothing but nice things to say about her. I know another person who knew Doris back in her band days, but that's another post. It seems that so many I know met or knew Doris and I haven't. Its 6 degrees of aggravation!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I also like Doris' hair in the Teacher's Pet/The Pajama Game time era. I just love it, it's so short and pretty... Of course, I'm convinced Doris could have worked any hairstyle..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

It is obvious Doris Day was / is [?] blessed with good thick hair and her hair always looked best when it was just that [her's]!!!!!

Look how wonderful her hair still looked during Best Friends show and at the 1989 Golden Globes and even in 1994 when interviewed by Gloria Hunniford for BBC.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Doris is a beautiful woman. I liked her hair best in Midnight Lace, Julie, Pillow Talk and many of her other films. I don't think that her hair cuts in Romance on the High Seas, Tea for Two or LOB were as flattering, but I love those films just the same. WSYGE, I didn't like the dark roots, but I'm sure that's just me. Great story, Jake.
The Doris Day Show

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Debbi Austen wrote:Doris is a beautiful woman. I liked her hair best in Midnight Lace, Julie, Pillow Talk and many of her other films. I don't think that her hair cuts in Romance on the High Seas, Tea for Two or LOB were as flattering, but I love those films just the same. WSYGE, I didn't like the dark roots, but I'm sure that's just me. Great story, Jake.
Ithink in the late 60's the "frosted" look was big, so that may be why she sported darker roots in WSYGE. Also big was that silvery/ greyish blonde at that time that she seems to have in the first episode of season 2 in her series when she goes to work at TODAY'S WORLD. Ahhh the 60's. I'm too young to have been around then, but what a great period of time.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I have to agree with jas 1 , I love doris' own pretty hair, not the wigs . The wigs didnt look bad ,but with pretty hair like that who need wigs ....
suzie

Kitty

Unread post by Kitty »

Just to be different - I personally like it long as she had it in the TV shows at times and in real life for a while. I think it makes her even more beautiful (if that's possible!) But getting back to the question - the movies I liked her hair best in were Midnight Lace (when it was down and flicked), and most of the movies during the 60's. It was extremely pretty during That Touch of Mink and also Thrill of it All and With Six you get Eggroll. I also loved it in the 1st TV show with it off her face and falling into a longish bob. She certainly wears the bob extremely well. The only problem I have is deciding which is a wig and which isn't. I would love to know! During the late 60's and early 70's just about everyone I knew had at least 1 wig. I actually had 2 - one short and one long - both made with human hair. It was such an acceptable thing to do back then - just don the wig and out you go to any function at all - it was such a common thing to do. I won't be surprised if some day it will come back and be fashionable again.
The only movie where I didn't like her hair was in Love Me or Leave Me but then she was playing a role set in the 20's (I think) and the hair fitted in with the part. The other day I saw a woman with a haircut exactly as Doris wore it in the Pajama Game and I couldn't keep my eyes off it - it looked fantastic. It was even combed to the middle at the back which I have never seen before. It certainly is a very neat and stylish haircut and I did like that on Doris too.
That's all folks!
Kitty :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree about the Pajama Game style. In the late 1970s/ early 1980s the fifties look made a come back and my cousin's friend at that time reminded me so much of Doris Day circa 1957. She wore her thick hair exactly like Doris did at this time [except it was red]. She had the freckles and the figure and wore tight fitting pencil skirts/ dresses and spike heel court shoes and just looked like she walked off the set of Teacher's Pet or something. Needless to say, I adored her!

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Kitty wrote:Just to be different - I personally like it long as she had it in the TV shows at times and in real life for a while. I think it makes her even more beautiful (if that's possible!) But getting back to the question - the movies I liked her hair best in were Midnight Lace (when it was down and flicked), and most of the movies during the 60's. It was extremely pretty during That Touch of Mink and also Thrill of it All and With Six you get Eggroll. I also loved it in the 1st TV show with it off her face and falling into a longish bob. She certainly wears the bob extremely well. The only problem I have is deciding which is a wig and which isn't. I would love to know! During the late 60's and early 70's just about everyone I knew had at least 1 wig. I actually had 2 - one short and one long - both made with human hair. It was such an acceptable thing to do back then - just don the wig and out you go to any function at all - it was such a common thing to do. I won't be surprised if some day it will come back and be fashionable again.
The only movie where I didn't like her hair was in Love Me or Leave Me but then she was playing a role set in the 20's (I think) and the hair fitted in with the part. The other day I saw a woman with a haircut exactly as Doris wore it in the Pajama Game and I couldn't keep my eyes off it - it looked fantastic. It was even combed to the middle at the back which I have never seen before. It certainly is a very neat and stylish haircut and I did like that on Doris too.
That's all folks!
Kitty :)
Wigs were big then and I think they looked better than the ones today. My mom had one that she bought then and had it until recently (though she hadn't worn it since 1972) It was not unlike the cut and color of Doris's hair. Looked especially like her hair from the episode where Doris works at today's world. Anyway, Doris had great wigs which is why its hard to tell. Caprice was a wig and we know she wore one in WSYGE. Also SMNF AND MOD were pretty wiggy. For the show, I am guessing they used a combo of wigs, wiglets and her how hair.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

I don't think I ever saw this look in any of her movies, but I think she just looks so natural and beautiful with this hairdo. I would kill to have hair like this.
Attachments
doris_day_1950s.jpg
doris_day_1950s.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I'v been thinking on this, and I love the Pajama Game/Pillow Talk look. I also love the Midnight Lace and Eggroll looks. And various TV eps. I expecially loved it during the Best Friends years. So beautiful. I love that she had so many different looks, and almost all of them worked like gangbusters.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Laurie wrote:I don't think I ever saw this look in any of her movies, but I think she just looks so natural and beautiful with this hairdo. I would kill to have hair like this.
WOW for a second I thought she looks like Marilyn Monroe there :o

my favorite hairdo's are MIDNIGHT LACE and GLASS BOTTOM BOAT - I don't like it to short to much, neither really long - I think chin long is more flattering for her face :D