Doris and Oprah

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Doris and Oprah

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Have any of you read in the papers that Doris "stood up" Oprah? Apparently, Oprah wanted to meet with Doris up in Carmel, even drove to her house and Doris would not see her. This was in regard to the David Kaufman book that just came out.

Now, I cannot STAND Oprah. Who does she think she is? and what the papers are saying is "Doris Snubs or Doris turns down the mighty Oprah" I mean please.

In my opinion its about time somebody put Oprah in her place and I'm glad its our Doris. Doris doesn't care about that and I'm sure she could care less about Oprah.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Re: Doris and Oprah

Unread post by Theodomus »

Well done, Doris. :mrgreen:
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

*Annie*

Unread post by *Annie* »

The fact that Miss Day chose not to meet with Oprah Winfrey was her prerogative not to do so. One must remember that Doris, at 84 years young, leads a very different, but very busy, life now than the one she did during her movie and singing days. One would ask the question "Where was Miss Winfrey all through the years when she could have secured an interview with Miss Day, why now AFTER this book has been written?" What was her agenda, was it to scrutinise and publicise DK's book?

I feel Doris knows who her friends are. Didn't Doris comment on her Magic 63 birthday tribute when she was told that Oprah had lost one of her doggies "I don't know her and she doesn't know me but I know how she feels and she must know how I feel [about losing my doggies]."

Doris does not seek publicity...she doesn't need publicity. A Hundred Years From Today and Oprah will be forgotten...Doris Day will be there forever!

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I believe that Doris would be frightened by people showing up like Oprah did. How did Doris really know it was Oprah, and not someone from San Jose?
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Good going, Doris! Oprah is SO overexposed, and a bit full of herself, I might add. It's cool to see someone who hasn't "drunk the coolaid" where Oprah is concerned. :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Serves Miss Oprah right! Surely she knows that Doris has a press agent and that she should have contacted Doris through that agent.

Doris needs Oprah a lot less than Oprah needs Doris! Think of the ratings Oprah would get!

Blair

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

We have to try to be slightly objective here, both Doris and Oprah are pioneers in their field and are two of the world's most celebrated women. Oprah, like Doris has done a lot to help - they have both given a lot back, we should thank them and neither will be forgotten. Oprah was just doing her job and Doris had the right to say no. I suspect that Doris, being the friendly and kind woman she is and who likes to make people happy, said yes and then realised she would be international news and be bombarded by requests for further interviews (I had an email from a Germany TV company who asked if I thought she would be willing to fly to Germany for a TV interview. When I replied that I knew for sure that there was no chance whatsoever, they replied "What if we sent a film crew out there and turned up on her doorstep?" As you can imagine I strongly advised them against it and said they would be wasting their time.

But there has ALWAYS been interest in her, ever since I can remember. As Ralph McKnight used to often say, "Doris Day makes money", - CDs, DVDs, Books, websites, memorabilia... So everyone has a part of her and have their own idea of who this woman is. And who is she really? It's a bit like asking 'Who am I?" Who knows? We are born into a life we didn't choose, we have certain abilities, we look a certain way, it rushes by while we do our best to 'ride the tiger', we make certain decisions along the way.. It sounds like we are all candles in the wind and we have no more way of finding out who either Doris or Oprah really are than we do ourselves.

In philosophic mode, yours truly, etc
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I say: YOU GO DORIS. Why would she would want to meet with Oprah? She's never wanted to interview her before.
Why don't they just let her do what she does best....making the world so much better for the animals. That's what her life is dedicated to now. Please just let her have her privacy and if she wants to meet with anyone she would. She has no desire to get mixed up with Oprah. Like she said, she doesn't know her and doesn't have anything against her, but she doesn't do interviews anymore. Doris is smart enough to handle any situation. She's one classy lady.

webmaster

Yes, Carol, but GO WHERE?

You say "Why would she would want to meet with Oprah?"
Well because Oprah asked her - is that so terrible? I would expect that DD fans would think it an honour.

You say "She's never wanted to interview her before."
So? She can't interview all the interesting people in the world at once.

Daisy June

I agree with the first reply per Jake Iverson. He told it just like it was. Doris doesn't need Oprah, she' s doing just fine.
I'm not that fond of Oprah these days. I think there is a lot of people getting tired of her. One thing for sure we will never tire of Doris.

webmaster

Okay, pretend I'm not here.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Bryan said:
"And who is she really? It's a bit like asking 'Who am I?" Who knows? We are born into a life we didn't choose, we have certain abilities, we look a certain way, it rushes by while we do our best to 'ride the tiger', we make certain decisions along the way.. It sounds like we are all candles in the wind and we have no more way of finding out who either Doris or Oprah really are than we do ourselves."

Man, Bryan, you really DO have a way with words!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Daisy June

Everyone has their own opinion about this subject and that's fine. I just spoke mine. Nothing personal.

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

I'm sorry but, the "papers" that printed this supposed diss of Oprah by Doris Day...has Oprah released a statement about this? Has Doris Day?

I haven't seen or read anything about this in the news, so this is the first I have heard of such a story.

I would say this though, the media isn't often on the side of truth, but rather making money. How many times in the past have they lied about Doris Day?

Just asking, just wondering. Somewhere out there is the truth, but it isn't usually found in the media.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

I read somewhere that Oprah likes Doris and I can imagine Doris likes Oprah or she would not have mentioned Oprah on the radio show. I'm with Bryan. They are both great women who have done great things for the world. We don't know that Oprah hasn't been asking Doris for years for an interview. But, there's no way Doris will appear on TV or in any public place. Doris should do and does what is right for her.
Velda
PS. Bryan can you give me my avatar, please? I miss it.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Oprah loves animals and has several dogs that she adores. That might be the common ground. Can't imagine what else they have in common though. No idea if there is any truth to this story or not.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Oprah loves animals and has several dogs that she adores. That might be the common ground. Can't imagine what else they have in common though. No idea if there is any truth to this story or not.
jmichael, in the UK, we've seen Oprah funding and being involved in setting up schools in the poorest parts of Africa. Like Doris, I think, she has a strong social conscience and they both devote a lot of time to 'good causes' - so we shouldn't try and divide them. The 'story', not being put out by either Doris or Oprah, is that Doris changed her mind about being interviewed. That's her right. It's no big deal. She's done it before.

Mind you, it would have been a big scoop - no one else has managed to get her on camera since the BBC's "I Don't Even Like Apple Pie" in 1987 (?) I like to think that Doris trusts us Brits more! (Is that racist? :wink: )

PS - jmichael, you look slightly out of focus - have you been drinking?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Doris has made a number of tv appearances since her "Apple Pie" interview. In '89, she accepted her Golden Globe. In '91 she was interviewed for the PBS American Master Series episode entitled "Sentimental Journey." I believe it was also in '91 when she was interviewed on the American tv series entitled "Vicki." Then in '94 she did two UK interviews to promote the release of "The Love Album." She appeared with Gloria Hunniford for BBC Pebble Mill, and for Des O'Connor Tonight ITV. As far as I know, that's all folks!
Like Irene Dunne done.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Based on many people's accounts, there have been many situations in which Doris has invited people to see her at home and then she changed her mind at the gate, from fans who have written to her that she has never met, to friends like Rex Reed and Kaye Ballard. So it is likely that the Oprah story conveyed by David Kaufman, is correct. The reason for not seeing her was probably not personal. Often things are scheduled and then events happen that conflict.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

"PS - jmichael, you look slightly out of focus - have you been drinking?"

It's those pesky filter lenses. At my age, I do need a little help in the lighting department, you know. LOL
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Howard -

The "Vicki Lawrence Show" appearnce was actually in the fall of 1993. Around the same time she was also interviewed by Joan Lunden on "Good Morning America".

webmaster

Yeah, Howard, get your facts right!! :twisted: :)

(I can see why both of you were more use than me to David Kaufman!)

I still say "Apple Pie was the last quality interview that Doris gave about her film career.

You can see it if you travel to West Yorkshire:

More info here:
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/T ... h=&genre=3

(Another " ..the real woman behind the wholesome ‘All American’ screen image.. description. It's strange that no mater how often 'the real woman' is revealed, she still remains 'the girl next door'! :wink: )

(My dark mood has passed and I'm trying to have a banner that is more in keeping with summer.)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Sorry..just wanted to cut in and say, Nice new banner Bryan... I LOVE it!!!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

So Bryan, there isn't a way for us Americans to get our own copy of this programme? (spelled with an "e" just for you".
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

webmaster

I haven't been able to track it down, Erica - although I suspect someone on here has it!