Doris and Oprah

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Re: Doris and Oprah

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Love the new banner and and the new avatars, Bryan and Babe.

Is this story really true? My feeling is that Doris is 84 and has a right to her own privacy. A long time ago I heard that Doris stopped making public appearances because fans expected her to look like she did in the movies. She still sees her friends, so I wouldn't call her a recluse. Maybe she just wants to be left alone. If Oprah wanted a statement, couldn't she just call her?
The Doris Day Show

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

I wonder how difficult it is to understand that sometimes the only way to get free from a painful past is to simply leave it in the past. Speaking from personal experience, and it is nothing compared to the pain Doris Day has revealed she endured, sometimes you can do nothing except walk away. And you accept the loss of people and situations that you must leave in the past with the pain. You understand that one can not successfully go forward if you are constantly looking backward.

We all are very aware of the incredibally sad life events Doris Day endured. I think we love her all the more because she continued to focus on what was good. Despite all that has come her way, she says she is happy. Enjoying life.

Perhaps at time she wants to talk and make connection with the life she moved on from. But when it requires painful prying into what she describes as dark times, she seems understandably reticent. Especially when the questions will come regarding people or events she may not even know the answer to herself.

I choose to believe she is living a content life. Content to be out of the lime light. Content to be surrounded by her "babies" and true friends. Content to devote herself to making the world a better place for the four-leggers.

I'd be the first to stay home from work and watch if she were to give anyone an interview. I'd like to believe that if the situation and timing is right for her, maybe she will someday. You might say I have "High Hopes".
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Gotta agree with megan, love the new banner,its my favorite so far.. like your new avatar bryan very nice. :D
Sorry for being off topic :o
suzie

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

suzie wrote:Gotta agree with megan, love the new banner,its my favorite so far.. like your new avatar bryan very nice. :D
Sorry for being off topic :o
You know Suzie, maybe those off-topic interruptions fly in Kalamazoo, but here we don't go for... oh ... WOW, that is a nice banner, Bryan. Good job! And Megan's avatar is terrific, too!

I forget what I was saying.... :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes john ,we kalamazoo folk tend to have have trouble staying on topic :| LIKe doris and ed were talking about on the radio, we have SOMETIMERS !!!!! :D :lol: Now what was the topic again ??? Oh,thats right it was doris and oprah :oops:
Both ladies are generous.My two cents and I think I spelled it wrong lol. Good night gracie..
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Okay.. I'm going to get off of topic now for a second... Thanks everyone... I'm going to start changing my avatar to match the banner. And... who's gracie???

Oh, and I think Doris desearves to live like she wants. If she doesn't want to leave her house, or give interviews, that's her choice. I think she well desearves it..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Megan, gracie was a lady who was rather dippy on a VERY OLD television show,way before you were born.lol
It was called the Burns and Allen show I think. George burns and his wife gracie Allen, he always said to her just say goodnight gracie, and she would always say "GOODNIGHT GRACIE ". (I know I know not very funny )
Did you guys see oprah the other day when she gave away thousands of dollars worth of stuff to all who came to her show???
:shock:
suzie

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

That's funny about Graicie. My mom and I say that to each other.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

This supposed "newspaper article" was nothing more than another david kaufman plug for his book, in an interview for one of the entertainment mags in the sunday newspaper, either family weekly or parade. face it folks, like martin melcher, david kaufman (or his publisher) is using the publicity machine to sell their book. Oprah sells, Doris sells, what is he selling? a book. :mrgreen:

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Any personality/author you see in print or on a talk show, etc. is selling something. Nothing new about that!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Toby_Martin - you are new here and I suggest you take some time to get to know people first before you start throwing your opinions about them around.

I've deleted two of your posts, the second one with the link, which has been reported before.

As Doris says in one of her songs, if you've got nothing good to say, say nothing at all...
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

My bad, who did i offend? Didn't mean to offend anyone. Who do I need to get to know Bryan? I have just noticed on both forums that the stated new biorgaphy is off topic but I keep seeing links to the DK DD biography, and their posted by contributors to that book. Just seems to me to be a sly attempt at publicity to a book that is supposed to be off topic or closed topic and is not supported by Ms Day herself. Not sure about Australia, Bryan, but we believe in free speech here in the USA. My thanks to you for the forum, my apologies once again for any offense I may have unknowingly made to a fellow member.

webmaster

Well okay, Toby - thank you for taking it that way. The new biography is not off limits here and there are several topics around where people are discussing it, such as in 'Books about Doris' and 'Webmaster's Den'.
We have had a long and painful debate about whether to allow discussion given the statement from Doris. The decision was to allow it for purposes of sharing information, comments by people who've read it as to whether they thought it was good, bad or indifferent and discussion of material that relates to her career rather than some of the more sensational and private matters reported by the media. Your comments about 'the people who contributed' fell into the category of "Posts likely to offend will be removed" and in fact did they cause offense. That's who I was referring to.

'Freedom of speech' doesn't mean you can say exactly what you like - you have to allow others the freedom to preserve their integrity - unless you've got solid grounds for challenging it.

But this topic was about Doris & Oprah......

calam192003

Unread post by calam192003 »

The way i read it Oprah asked for an interview and Doris said no THEN Oprah took it on herself to drive all that way to in a way MAKE doris do th interview by turnin up on her doorstep ... Like most hav said who does Oprah think she is that she can do that to ANYONE? and make them feel under pressure??...go doris...!!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Let's give Oprah a break. She's a generous woman who has made an unusual mark in this world. She makes lives better for many, and she's probably the most influential woman, at least, in this country (USA). I think this story has been mutilated, somehow. I remember a couple of years ago, Oprah did a tour of the Monterey, Big Sur area. I believe that was why she came up to California, and while there, being who she is, she probably thought she could nab an exclusive with our Doris. At any rate, when she passed through a famed golf course, she waved up above, and said, "Hi Doris Day." She's far from an evil woman ... in case you can't tell - I LIKE HER ... she does lots of good!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

I agree, Howard - and calam192003, you are just repeating what was said before.

I think we've covered this now and should let the matter rest.