Doris' German Roots

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Theodomus
Honorary Member

Doris' German Roots

Unread post by Theodomus »

Via Google Alert I came across an article on Doris Day's German roots - I will summarize it here in English, as the original is in German. It says:

Doris Day grew up in Cincinnati, Ohia in the 1930's and became a big film- and music star. Her carelessness and coquetry made her the biggest star of the american entertainment industry in the late 50s. But her roots lie in the German Odenwald, more specifically in Mueckenloch-Neckarhaeuserhof.

This sensation for the village with 1200 heads came out a few weeks ago when a filming crew came to the doors of the town's archivist. (I guess we all know what team that was? ;-)) It did research for a documentary on the actress' 85th birthday in the upcoming year. Then it became clear that her grandmother from her mother's side, Anna Christina, was born as the fourth child of 7 in Mueckenloch.

Her parents were farmers and belonged to the most prominent families in the village. However Day's great-grandfather could not continue living from farming, so he sold land and started working for the railroad in Neckargemuend. Shortly after the family moved to Graben-Neudorf close to Karlsruhe, where Day's grandmother, Anna Christina Mann, grew up.

When the mother died in 1882 the rest of the family moved to America. There Anna Christina married Wilhelm Weltz from Oetigheim near Rastatt, Germany in the same year. Their daughter Alma Sophia was the mother of Doris Day alias Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff. Doris Day's mother was married to music teacher William Kappelhoff, also a German emigrant.

German Source Stimme.de
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Sheila

Re: Doris' German Roots

Unread post by Sheila »

Thank you Marion for taking the time to translate that article. Very interesting to hear what the Documentary team are getting up to. I understand their respectful documentary will focus on Doris' contribution to the women's movement, as well as tracing her German ancestry. Should be really interesting when it comes out.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I understand their respectful documentary will focus on Doris' contribution to the women's movement,
Where did you get that information from?
Marion

----------

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Very interesting Marion - thank you for posting !
On the birthday radio program - the German crew sounded
very dedicated to this documentary.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yes, Marion, the German film crew was in the radio studio during Magic63's birthday broadcast last April. They even spoke to Doris during one of her her phone calls about her roots.

Thanks for the article. Very interesting. I wonder how the documentary is coming along.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Yes, I heard the broadcast, but I didn't realize that they focus on
Doris' contribution to the women's movement,
Did they say that during the interview?
Marion

----------

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I was roped into the interview while in Carmel. You can imagine they got a plethora of questions fired at them, to ensure that what they were doing was authorised, respectful etc. They told us they were interested in doing a respectful documentary, that highlighted the impact of Doris Day's career on the Women's movement.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

That's interesting, thanks Sheila :)

So we get to see you on TV as well??
Marion

----------

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Yes, and my daughter Mary. It seemed like a good idea at the time....not so sure now :shock: I am hopeful that a lot will be cut out!! However, the best bit for me was getting to see and discuss Barb's quilt, I was so happy and felt very honoured to be able to do that. :)

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Theodomus wrote:Via Google Alert I came across an article on Doris Day's German roots - I will summarize it here in English, as the original is in German. It says:

Doris Day grew up in Cincinnati, Ohia in the 1930's and became a big film- and music star. Her carelessness and coquetry made her the biggest star of the american entertainment industry in the late 50s. But her roots lie in the German Odenwald, more specifically in Mueckenloch-Neckarhaeuserhof.

This sensation for the village with 1200 heads came out a few weeks ago when a filming crew came to the doors of the town's archivist. (I guess we all know what team that was? ;-)) It did research for a documentary on the actress' 85th birthday in the upcoming year. Then it became clear that her grandmother from her mother's side, Anna Christina, was born as the fourth child of 7 in Mueckenloch.

Her parents were farmers and belonged to the most prominent families in the village. However Day's great-grandfather could not continue living from farming, so he sold land and started working for the railroad in Neckargemuend. Shortly after the family moved to Graben-Neudorf close to Karlsruhe, where Day's grandmother, Anna Christina Mann, grew up.
That's very close to where I live right now. As a matter of fact I almost visited Neckargemuend the other day since it's 48 minutes from Ludwigshafen am Rhein. Karlsruhe is also very close, about an hour and I drove by Karlsruhe just yesterday. :D

Maybe I should go there and take pictures? :lol:

ImageImage

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Apparently, according to Wikipedia Germany, they affixed a sign on the house where her grandfather was born in the German town of Warendorf in January 2008.