Doris Day: Misleading and intrusive media reporting

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Please read the statement published here on behalf of all of us
- and all the other many friends and fans that Doris has.

Friends of Hollywood star Doris Day express concern over 'misleading and intrusive media reporting' and call for restraint.

Friends and fans of Doris Day would like to express concern at the level of negative media coverage of the (ex) actress as a result of recent books about her.

Particularly, at the present moment, the taking and publishing of paparazzi-style photographs and the accompanying headlines and comments suggesting she is in distress. We cannot speak for her officially but many of us know her personally and would suggest that any distress she may or may not feel would be solely the result of not being able to go about her business without lurking photographers and imaginative copy writers.

Many friends who know her and are in regular contact with her, know that this type of reporting is completely without foundation. She is a happy, kind and intelligent woman, a recent recipient of The Presidential Medal of Freedom Award, America's highest honour to a citizen, and a Grammy Award winner, she devotes her life to animal welfare - and to her friends - and she is not a recluse or collector of stray animals.

She is loved and held in high regard the world over and we, as her friends, would ask the media to show her the respect she deserves and to refrain from subjecting her, and us, to further reporting of this nature. We believe that the truth about Doris Day, both her achievements and her life today, are a much more interesting story and we would urge the media to write about that if they must write about her.

For and on behalf of the friends and fans of Doris Day,

The Doris Day Web Forum
August 2008

Doris Day: Misleading and intrusive media reporting: Press Release:
http://www.prlog.org/10108532-doris-day ... rting.html
This is published on the main website - http://www.dorisday.net/doris-day-concern.html
and I have also announced it on the homepage of dorisday.net: http://www.dorisday.net/

Would other Doris Day sites please copy.

Thank you.

Bryan
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: Important Statement about Doris Day by her friends

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Good morning Bryan, I have just read it....very good indeed....I do hope they stop bothering her...I feel hopeless not being able to do something about it.....Thank you Marti

webmaster

Press Release news:
Hello Bryan James,

Thank you for submitting your press release to PressBox. PressBox is a valued source of information for journalists and is used by thousands of media relations professionals each week.

Your release has been validated. To help maximise exposure please also remember to link directly to your press release from your website. You can find your release here:

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/Ente ... 25003.html

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Excellent! Good job, Bryan! 8)

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

Bryan,
I'm glad we have smart people like you. I hope this message reaches out to lots of sights and is picked up by google. I check my google alert for Doris several times a day.
Barb

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Well written Bryan. The excessive , recent media scrutiny of Doris amounts to stalking. Everything about her life is totally taken out of context. She really doesn't deserve that. Unfortunately, the recent books written about her fuel the unfounded stories. As fans we can spread the truth and this forum is a great way to do it.
Velda

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I can't thank you enough Bryan, for posting this message.
The Doris Day Show

webmaster

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

What a difference Bryan makes....excelent. Marti

Daisy June

Re: Doris Day: Misleading and intrusive media reporting

Unread post by Daisy June »

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO FOR BRYAN

Love it.

Carol :)

webmaster

We're all just doing our bit. A friend just emailed me:
Hi Bryan

So wrong! Why can't people leave the good people alone. Always knocking down others.

I am with you on this one.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Wow I've been away for a couple of days...that is brilliant Bryan!! I'm so pleased that Annie's encouragement to make this available to Google, and her letter to the Daily Mail spurred you to issue this statement on behalf of Doris' friends and fans. I sincerely hope that the media take notice and gives Doris some respite from all of the 'fall out' from these demeaning articles!

I hope that all these 'dodgy' articles will soon be yesterdays news and I hope Doris has left the 'photo' incident behind her and has peaceful days with her companions..because that is what she deserves!

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Yes indeedy, I agree with you all 100%

Carol

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

The letter just came across my google alert.
Good going.
Barb

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Good Job, Bryan!!!!
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

webmaster

It was strange after doing it all this morning, I submitted it to Google Alerts and had a reply from them asking for my reasons as to why they should include it. I said we'd really appreciate it because of the things being said about Doris that we knew, as a collective group of friends and fans, were not true. I felt I was pleading a bit but still making a solid case and I was pleased that they included it.

Then I had an email from someone on here saying 'What's all the fuss about? I thought the Kaufman book was a great tribute to Doris - why are people getting worked up about this?" I replied that I wasn't talking about his book, which I still think is a good book, but rather the reporting of both books and that the 'last straw' was the Globe front page story which prodded the sleeping tiger. Yes, I said earlier 'something should be done' and then it went very quite for a week so I held fire, not wanting to give it more publicity. But having done it, all I was left with a kind of empty feeling and a sadness that I was spending time on this - something that Doris wisely chooses to ignore - but at the same time thinking that we should defend her when called upon or feel it's time to say something, so I felt good about that. But really I'd rather spend the time appreciating the enjoyment we get from her rather than the hopeless task of trying to influence the media. So I feel good and bad - but mostly bad.

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Don't feel bad, Bryan. It's always better to be proactive when an injustice is comitted than to stew in hopeless frustration. You and all the friends of Doris on this forum spurred me into action. I wrote a post entitled " No Way to Treat Doris Day" on my website and included your article.
http://dorisdayicon.com/topics/
Velda

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I agree with Velda, it's better to do something positive when you feel there is an injustice. That's interesting Bryan,I did not realise you had to apply to google to become a 'google alert'...is it the case that you have to apply for things to be taken off as well?, just curious, it's something I never really thought about before...

Liked your blog piece Velda...I believe it was on your blog, that the notion that these books would lead to Doris' increasing loss of privacy, first emerged. You certainly got that one right!!...Velda, any tips on the 2:30 at York? :D

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Sheila : Is that your picture in David Kaufman's book? Have you done any acting?
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

No Gerard...not since Nativity plays anyway :shock:

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Sheila, I think many of us suspected that Doris was going to be adversly affected by those books, I just happened to write about it a while back.
I hope Doris knows that we are all behind her 100% and won't support the publications that exploit her.

Is 2:30 at York, horse racing? Maybe, I should use my crystal ball and make some money?

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

YES YES YES Marti

webmaster

I'm starting to feel a bit better having watched Debbi's video and reading these comments. I suppose we are all 'suffering' a bit in our own way because we don't like to hear about or read stories about Doris that we know are not true. It's a bit like someone insulting your mother/sister. I still feel angry about it. It plunged me into a bit of a depression last night but I can deal with that and it only shows I have feelings and care about certain things/people so I won't be reaching for the pills/bottle of gin (well, maybe later - I might even ask Carol to join me and persuade her that drinking alcohol isn't all that bad. :wink: )

Had a look at your site, Velda, I love what you've done. I'm going to be indiscreet here and say I met Velda when she came to the UK for the annual gathering of The Friends of Doris Day and saw a preview of her film tribute to Doris, "Modern Romance", (a short impressionistic film - is that right, Velda?) still unedited at the time but fascinating to see the raw footage. Velda's brother plays the 'Rock Hudson' type role and, as I said to Velda, he has real pressence - as does the black (nice touch) female lead , the 'Doris Day type' actress. And Velda has written some great songs for it that were going around in my head afterwards.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Your film sounds great, Velda. Looking forward to seeing it ... when will that be possible?
Like Irene Dunne done.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I am glad you are feeling better Bryan.!!.. I have heard the CD of the songs from Velda's movie, and loved it!!! It's a real labour of love and I sincerely wish Velda all the best! :D