YOUR THE PRODUCER

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
suzie
Forum Big Sister

YOUR THE PRODUCER

Unread post by suzie »

My friends, if you were a movie producer and could put our doris in any movie role you wished , what role would you choose ? I would have loved to have seen her in "the sound of music ". I did love julie in that role , but I would have loved to see doris give it a try. Doris is so good with children, one of the few who doesnt get up staged by them, doris is always the focal point in any movie she is in. Case in point PDETD and TTOIA.Doris is darling with the kids and at the same time its doris you want to watch. How about you ? :wink:
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: YOUR THE PRODUCER

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Maybe My Fair Lady. Penny Serenade or An Affair To Remember would have been good too... I LOVE Cary Grant *swoon*
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

It would depend on how much equipment I had, but ... Doris probably could do almost anything - fromStar Wars to "Shaggy Dog". Getting her to do it would be another matter. She likes to be considered, regardless - possibly even today, just so she can turn it down thus exercising her womanly prerogative. Perhaps that is a character someone could develop!

I think she did not really use her ability to dance enough. I would have given Astaire and Kelly some lifts and told them to practice dancing with the shoes. Why were these guys so short? She could've done the Jean Hagen role well (Singing in the Rain), with her own brand of humor.

Did anyone see Cloris Leachman in Dancing with the Stars? She probably has to do it.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Here are some missed opportunities. The one that bothers me most is South Pacific. That part was perfect for Doris. I will add that I am most grateful Doris never succumbed to appearing in horror movies like Joan Crawford and Bette Davis at the end of their film careers. They "stayed too long at the fair" in my opinion.

Musicals
-- South Pacific
-- The Unsinkable Molly Brown (too close to Calamity, but she would have been great)

Dramas
-- The Turning Point (the Shirley MacLaine role)
-- All About Eve (the Anne Baxter role)
-- I'll Cry Tomorrow
-- Two For the Road
-- The Children's Hour (the Audrey Hepburn role)
-- Wait Until Dark (similar to "Midnight Lace" but she would have been terrific in this part)
-- The Country Girl
-- Madame X

Comedies
-- The Graduate (Marty should have stepped aside and encouraged her to accept the part)
-- Postcards From the Edge
-- Forty Carats (Liv Ullman? What were they thinking?)
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

What a great topic, Suzie - my imagination is running riot - fantasy time:

I would love to have seen Doris in more Hitchcock films - I want to illustrate my ideas so here is the first (more to come):

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I'm all for more Hitchkock movies ... but definitely not Psycho -- and ok if we do go Psycho plleeasse not the Janet Leigh role :lol: I'd rather see Doris not slaughtered in the shower :lol:
Hitchcock movies .. hmm... NOTORIOUS? MARNIE ? REAR WINDOW? Let's have the poster-art Bryan :D

webmaster

I'd rather see Doris not slaughtered in the shower :D
Well, we know Doris has had a few terrifying moments in her own films, and I'm sure she would have done the shower scene with great dignity! :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Not in Psycho for me- the Jane Leigh role gets killed off too soon, and plus, I wouldn't want to see Doris [as any character] getting killed!

Much as I adore Shirely Maclaine in Terms of Endearment - I have thought sometimes watching it, if only Doris had done it at that time in her career - a completely different role- it surely would have been Oscar time [as it was for Shirley]!

webmaster

I'm rushing these as I'm also making supper... and my graphic program is acting up

Last one for now:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Jas1 wrote:Much as I adore Shirely Maclaine in Terms of Endearment - I have thought sometimes watching it, if only Doris had done it at that time in her career - a completely different role- it surely would have been Oscar time [as it was for Shirley]!
Doesn't the traveling version have Linda Gray in it????

I wouldn't want her in Psycho either... I wouldn't want her to get killed in a shower.. :shock:
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

Jas1 wrote:...I wouldn't want to see Doris [as any character] getting killed!
Me either. Not that it ever gets run, but I only saw Storm Warning once and won't watch it again.

webmaster

Aren't you guys forgetting something? We're talking about MOVIES - they aren't real, you know, anything can happen! :wink: So you wouldn't want Doris in a film where anything really bad happened to her - is that what you are saying? So as well as Storm Warning, there would be no Love Me or Leave Me (violence/rape), Julie (attempted murder), The Man Who Knew Too Much (murder/kidnapping), Midnight Lace (attempted murder)?

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Oh, I absolutely know it just the movies. I do have a firm grasp on reality. I just don't like movies where the "hero" dies. There's a couple of John Wayne movies I won't watch either. I've never really liked Julie and Midnight Lace. I've always been mainly a comedy/musical fan.

webmaster

I know you all didn't really mean that - just trying to wind you up :wink: but also getting you to think about it! I think Doris was great in The Man Who Knew Too Much, that kind of sustained tension rather than the more melodramatic Julie and Midnight Lace suited her better and gave her the chance to show off her acting abilities so I would like to have seen her in another Hitchcock film - perhaps Vertigo or Rear Window.

I love musicals too - especially the ones that 'tell a story' - I was thinking of "Cabaret" as a 'more recent' example (compared to LMOLM, Calamity, Pajama Game, Jumbo etc. But I love all those old Hollywood musicals too - must share some clips soon.

Here's one more:

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

I would like to have seen Doris opposite Jack Nicholson in "Something's Gotta Give". She would have pulled that off beautifully -- and would have been the perfect anecdote for Good ole Harry in the movie!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

SHirley MacLaine in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT was absolutely MARVELOUS - I love that movie - and I love Shirley in it - absolutely worthy and finally finally Oscar time for her :D
Hard to imagine Doris in it ... something to think about - GREAT film!!!

PSYCHO - Bryan ... I really have no "problem" with Doris being "killed" in a movie - (if the movie is good and the killing is for the plot ... like in STORM WARNING I thought it was a good ending - Janet Leigh is really only in the movie for the first 15 minutes or so - that wouldn't do as a Doris movie for me. I love it though - I think ANthony Perkins is totally superb!!!

SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE - another one of my favorites - great FUN movie, great chemistry between Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton (makes one wonder about a Doris/Jack Nicholson teaming ... - let's forget the age difference for now of course .. still interesting thought)

I was thinking the other day about something like ON GOLDEN POND - another of my favorites - *perfect* casting in my eyes .. perfect movie ... still interesting for Doris in later years ???

LOVE the posterart Bryan .. heheh

ellenarden
Forum Friend

I think "Something's Gotta Give" would have been perfect for Doris Day and James Garner when they both were in their mid-fifties. That would have been a great movie. :D And it would have been wonderful to see them together again.

I was always happy that Jimmy got together one more time with Julie Andrews to do "One Special Night".

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

That would have been fantastic ellen, I would have loved to have seen them togeather again. :wink:
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I was always happy that Jimmy got together one more time with Julie Andrews to do "One Special Night".
Anke just introduced me to that movie and I will hopefully be able to see it soon.

Seeing a clip of the movie on youtube my thought was that it would have been a wonderful movie for Doris!
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

I think "Something's Gotta Give" would have been perfect for Doris Day and James Garner when they both were in their mid-fifties.
Em.. "Move Over Darling" was a remake of it, wasn't it - so I don't understand what you mean???

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Bryan, look at the clip Diane put up above - It's a different movie ;)

(Though the Monroe-movie was my first thought, too, when I read the English title. Didn't know that the Nicholson/Keaton-movie has the same name.)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

Oh I get it now - might have been a bit racy for Doris :) Can't quite see her getting down and dirty like that! :oops:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

webmaster wrote:
I think "Something's Gotta Give" would have been perfect for Doris Day and James Garner when they both were in their mid-fifties.
Em.. "Move Over Darling" was a remake of it, wasn't it - so I don't understand what you mean???
nope - SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE was not a remake of MOVE OVER DARLING - not at all ... but .. uhm... I don't think James Garner would have been good for the Jack Nicholson role ... I can't really see anyone else in that - James would have been to .. uhm ... nice for it ?? That's Jack's "Masterrole" .. the oldish 60+playboy kinda guy who thinks of himself as being so handsome and cool that all the 20+-30girls are madly running for him *lol* - I LOVE that movie its big fun!!!

I love ONE SPECIAL NIGHT - its such a cuuuuuuuuute movie!!!! I definitely wish that Doris' would have done something in that direction during that age ... :lol:

webmaster

nope - SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE was not a remake of MOVE OVER DARLING - not at all ..
What I meant was that "Move over Darling" was what the studio did with the Monroe/Dean Martin film "Something's Got to Give" after Marilyn died. I didn't realise there was another film with the same title until now.

webmaster

Speaking of Marilyn: :D

How about:

:P