YOUR THE PRODUCER

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
ellenarden
Forum Friend

Re: YOUR THE PRODUCER

Unread post by ellenarden »

I definitely think they both could have pulled off the Nicholson/Keaton roles. I don't think James Garner was ever given roles that could fulfill his true range as an actor. As far as Doris, she could have easily handled the role of a fifty-something woman who was ready to really live life to the fullest. The pictures of her at that age are just oozing confidence and sexiness.

I also didn't think Keaton's character got "down and dirty". She was ready for a mature relationship and it was great fun watching Nicholson't character get swept away by this very appealing, sexy "older" woman. Also being a woman of a certain age, Something's Gotta Give has become one of my favorite movies.

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Dianne »

webmaster wrote:Speaking of Marilyn: :D

How about:

:P
Naah....too much slapstick in this one Bryan -- The role Marilyn played in this film suited HER perfectly...I just could NOT see Doris playing such a "childish"....somewhat silly part.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

ellenarden wrote:II also didn't think Keaton's character got "down and dirty". She was ready for a mature relationship and it was great fun watching Nicholson't character get swept away by this very appealing, sexy "older" woman. Also being a woman of a certain age, Something's Gotta Give has become one of my favorite movies.
Ellen -- I AGREE -- one of my favorites as well.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Diane T wrote:
ellenarden wrote:II also didn't think Keaton's character got "down and dirty". She was ready for a mature relationship and it was great fun watching Nicholson't character get swept away by this very appealing, sexy "older" woman. Also being a woman of a certain age, Something's Gotta Give has become one of my favorite movies.
Ellen -- I AGREE -- one of my favorites as well.
me too - Diane Keaton was great - hillarious and still kind of dignified plus she was naturally beautiful with wrinkles and all - very unlike Hollywood :D

Bryan you should watch it - its a fun movie!!! :wink:
Gotta think of the Garner thing again ... dunno ... did he ever play a "mean" guy - I'm lost right now. :D

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

Haymarketaddict wrote:Gotta think of the Garner thing again ... dunno ... did he ever play a "mean" guy - I'm lost right now. :D
Check out the 1998 movie "Twilight" with Paul Newman and Gene Hackman.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

webmaster wrote:Speaking of Marilyn: :D
I LOVE that movie!!! I personally think it would've been great for Doris! Though I haven't seen it, maybe Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.. The reason I say that is because I LOVE the songs in that movie. I think Doris could've rocked Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend.. That's my opinion anyway :mrgreen:
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

ellenarden wrote:
Haymarketaddict wrote:Gotta think of the Garner thing again ... dunno ... did he ever play a "mean" guy - I'm lost right now. :D
Check out the 1998 movie "Twilight" with Paul Newman and Gene Hackman.
Thanks .. I will - mean James Garner ... interesting 8)

SOME LIKE IT HOT : love it - but I think I love it for basically one reason and that's Jack Lemmon - he is HILLARIOUSLY perfect in this movie - just think of the last scene "Nobody's perfect" - ABSOLUTE classic - GREAT!! As for Doris in the MM role .... not for me really :lol:
But the thought of teaming her up with Jack Lemmon again in ANYTHING totally appeals to me - so I guess I should still go for it!! :lol: :D If we think of Billy Wilder/Jack Lemmon movies - how about Doris in THE APARTEMENT
I believe someone mentioned this earlier - GREAT movie, great role for Doris :)
"Shut up and deal" :D cute!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Though I haven't seen it, maybe Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.. The reason I say that is because I LOVE the songs in that movie. I think Doris could've rocked Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend.
Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend:
http://www.bryanj.co.uk/diamonds.html

Would have been great to see Doris glamed-up and singing this! :wink:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Same here!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I agree that would have been great to see her do. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I always said I would have loved to see her in South Pacific. I wish she would have at least recorded the sound track. I always wanted her to do a movie Bing Crosby. I thought High Society because Frank Sinatra was also in it, but they would have to change the part and the script for her.

Two for the Road is an interesting thought.

An Alfred Hitchcock Movie? What about Torn Curtain?
The Doris Day Show

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Since Christmas is coming. I think she would have been good in my favorite christmas movie White Christmas.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Heathcliff

Unread post by Heathcliff »

Doris Day as Sally in Sondheim's "Follies"

Dream role

Heathcliff

Unread post by Heathcliff »

I agree that Day would have been great in "Soemthing's Got To Give," but I can't see her in "Some Like It Hot" or some of the Hitchcock movies mentioned.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Doris Day as Sally in Sondheim's "Follies"

Oh yes, absolutely, this would have been a great role for Doris. I can hear singing the heck out of "In Buddy's Eyes" and "Losing My Mind." Both songs call for a vocalist who can tell a story in song. That is Doris in spades.

Ah, so many missed opportunities.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Pedro
Forum Friend

Unread post by Pedro »

Two days ago there was a very great movie on French television: Orson Welles' Touch of Evil. Very impressive. Isn't it the kind of film noir that our webmaster likes, and that could figure on his site dedicated to classic movies ? Touch of Evil has a very special story related to the way Orson Welles was mistreated by Hollywood. And I can't help but compare Doris to Janet Leigh. They are about the same age and Doris would surely have been terrific in many of Janet's roles including Touch of Evil and Hitchcock's Psycho.

See for example Janet Leigh with James Stewart in The Naked Spur (1953)
http://www.toutlecine.com/images/film/0 ... ml?start=1

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Initially I thought this was a new [fun] topic - good to re-read all the posts again.

I'd have loved to have seen Doris in something with Paul Newman and in a classy musical with Gene Kelly.

In addition - I think she could have really made a lot of the Shirley Maclaine part in 'The Apartment' too and I've always said - the Graduate would have been such a change of pace for Doris.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Doris almost did do a film with Paul Newman. When she did her t.v. series, she was contracted by CBS to do two films for them. One of the films scheduled was to be with Paul Newman entitled "The Panda Affair" (I think). Instead of doing the two films, she opted for the two t.v. specials. That's the way I heard it.
Like Irene Dunne done.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

howard wrote:Doris almost did do a film with Paul Newman. When she did her t.v. series, she was contracted by CBS to do two films for them. One of the films scheduled was to be with Paul Newman entitled "The Panda Affair" (I think). Instead of doing the two films, she opted for the two t.v. specials. That's the way I heard it.
I would have loved to have seen that film...wow that would have been great :D I loved the specials ...but what a treat that would have been to have seen our Doris with Paul Newman in that picture !!1 :wink:
suzie