name doris' best ever performance

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
suzie
Forum Big Sister

name doris' best ever performance

Unread post by suzie »

Name the performance that really stands out in your mind as her very best. As for me I would have to say in a comedy it would be "lover come back ". Doris played carol to perfection and I never tire of this movie.
In a dramatic role I would choose "love me or leave me ", doris played ruth better than ruth could have lol.
I also loved "julie " doris wasnt even feeling well at all in this movie and really did a very fine performance in spite of the fact that she was very sick at the time, (what a trouper ) We love you doris you are so very wonderful, as a matter of fact the role I love doris best in is doris herself, you cant get any better than doris day ... :D
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: name doris' best ever performance

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Obviously, you can't pick just one.. So, I'll pick one for every category

Musical: The Pajama Game (What did you expect???)

Drama: Love Me Or Leave Me

Thriller: Julie

Comedy: The Glass Bottom Boat

Romantic: Pillow Talk
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

Comedy: Glass Bottom Boat
Musical: Jumbo
Suspense: The Man Who Knew Too Much

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Hands down: her portrayal of Ruth Etting in Love Me or Leave Me.

This is her single best performance in terms of acting range, vocal performances, and assuming risk (playing against type). She was not only playing a real life personality, she also made a quantum leap dramatically when she took this part. It became her bridge to substantive adult roles in major films. It also showed that she could manage quite capably outside the limitations of her WB studio contract. I think she "grew up" as actress in that part.

I only wish there had been more complex roles like this for her later in her film career.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

I like Doris in Lover Come Back and Pillow Talk best. As for more dramatic roles, my vote goes to The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Michael, overall, Love me or Leave Me is probably Doris' best performance for the reasons you state.

I think though that Man Who Knew Too Much, Pajama Game; Pillow Talk; Daisies; Teacher's Pet and Thrill of it all- come close too!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Jas, yes, all of those are marvelous performances.

It's virtually impossible to single-out one because Doris gave so many great performances. But on balance I still have to go with her memorable work in "Love Me of Leave Me" as the pinnacle of her film acting career.

Still, I agree, that she was also superb in "Pajama Game", "The Man Who Knew Too Much," "Lover, Come Back," "Teacher's Pet," "Calamity," "Daisies," "Pillow Talk" and especially "The Thrill of it All." Of all her romantic comedy performances, I feel that she was the most natural, appealing and funny in "The Thrill of it All." I would say that "Teacher's Pet" is a close second for me because she was perfect in the role of Erica Stone.

It's amazing when you consider just how many great performances Doris gave over the years. And equally amazing and frustrating that her peers in Hollywood never recognized her properly.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Well said jmichael , I couldnt agree more. :wink:
suzie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Love Me or Leave Me
The Doris Day Show

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Difficult to pick a favorite, really....but I think she was excellent in "Julie", "Teacher's Pet", "Pillow Talk", "The Man Who Knew Too Much", and in "With Six, You Get Eggroll". I know that last one is not considered to be her best effort, but I think she brought a realism to that role and to the movie that made it all believable. I think she could have run that business on her own, been a whiz on the band saw, raised the boys and gone to the market at midnight! When I saw that movie in 1968, in rural North Carolina, I could not believe that there were any supermarkets in the entire world that were open in the middle of the night. How times have changed! As I've said before, I think it would have been a great idea to use "With Six" as the premise for her TV show.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

This one is easy for me. I fell in love with her in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS...and that never stopped.
So..how could i choose anything else?

dorismartin

Unread post by dorismartin »

mikeydv wrote:This one is easy for me. I fell in love with her in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS...and that never stopped.
So..how could i choose anything else?
Hello,,,, I feel the same, dorismartin

Heathcliff

Unread post by Heathcliff »

The interesting thing about Day imo is the unfulfilled promise of her film career. She could be fantastic in the right role and she maintained her stardom through some horrible roles.

I think her best stuff is Teh Man Who Knew Too much (the sedation scene...wow) and Love Me or Leave me.

She is also great in The Pajama Game and Teacher's Pet.

globack

Unread post by globack »

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" was the best performance by Doris Day. She was a true character actress in that film. That character was totally separate from who Doris Day is in the comedies.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

It's tough to choose just a few, but this is what I think she was perfection in:
-Pillow Talk
-Lover Come Back
-Love Me or Leave Me
-Teacher's Pet
-Move Over Darling

And so many more...but those are a few standouts.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

My picks are:

Pillow Talk
The Man who knew too Much
My Dream is Yours
Midnight Lace
Love me or Leave me
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Actually,after seeing Doris in ROTHS, ive got to rate her very first movie ,one of her very best. Imagine your first time out and it being so good. Miss Day you are something !!! :D
suzie

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

BabeWilliams wrote:Obviously, you can't pick just one.. So, I'll pick one for every category

Musical: The Pajama Game (What did you expect???)

Drama: Love Me Or Leave Me

Thriller: Julie

Comedy: The Glass Bottom Boat

Romantic: Pillow Talk
Oh I would have to say for Musical Lullaby On Broadway and Tea For Two has to be put in the mix.
Also for "Drama " We can't forget Midnight Lace. And for Thriller we Can't Leave out "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and for Comedy let's not forget "Do Not Disturb"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

If I had to pick one performance though, I'd go for Teacher's Pet- she is amazing in this role.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Well,this is quite a tough question,but to me it will always be in the part of Pillow Talk,but that is really a classic.I just love the expressions on her face and the fact that Doris & Rock were so great together.I love the scene as he takes her out of the apartment,kwowing how many times they had to re-do that scene.We cannot always visualise the time it takes to make a perfect setting,all the times in between to be on scene,and I think that for Doris it was a relieve to find a co-star who understood her so well.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

1. Love me or leave me,
2. I'll see you in my dreams,
3. With six you get eggroll

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Musical-"Calamity Jane"
Drama-Love Me Or Leave Me"
Thriller-"Man Who Knew Too Much"
Comedy-"Pillow Talk", "Please Don't Eat the Daisies". "Lover Come Back"

Terribly difficult choice...

Greetings from Polish :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

kimster

Unread post by kimster »

Doris had so many great performances that it is hard to choose! But I really liked her as Beverly Boyer in "The Thrill of it All." I will never forget the first time she did her commercial on t.v. and was so focused on the play before they put her on, that when she did, she blurted out, "Hi, I am Beverly Boyer and I am a pig." The rest of the commercial was just a hoot as the people on the set were giggling. She was so very funny!

I also liked the scene in "Teacher's Pet" when Clark Gable kissed her in the classroom. When she walked to her desk she lost her legs and had to hold on to the desk. She had such great physical comedy skills!
She is right up there with Lucille Ball in that category.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Speaking of "Teacher's Pet," (one of my favorites) I love the scene in the classroom where she's describing her thoughts about the Gable character. Her timing is impeccable. You're so right - she's great at physical comedy, but then again, I think she's great all-around! In his memoir, Norman Jewison said that when he observed DD doing all that physical business ("Send Me No Flowers") in the scene where she was locked out of her home, he realized how good she was at the physical stuff and made it a point to give her more of the same.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

kimster wrote:Doris had so many great performances that it is hard to choose! But I really liked her as Beverly Boyer in "The Thrill of it All." I will never forget the first time she did her commercial on t.v. and was so focused on the play before they put her on, that when she did, she blurted out, "Hi, I am Beverly Boyer and I am a pig." The rest of the commercial was just a hoot as the people on the set were giggling. She was so very funny!

I also liked the scene in "Teacher's Pet" when Clark Gable kissed her in the classroom. When she walked to her desk she lost her legs and had to hold on to the desk. She had such great physical comedy skills!
She is right up there with Lucille Ball in that category.
I like this scene :D Doris is a versatile actress, plays the great comedic roles, but also in dramatic roles, shows the highest art of acting :D Shows versatility. It's hard to choose her best role in a movie with so many saints...
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube