best chemistry

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
sunnygail
Forum Friend

best chemistry

Unread post by sunnygail »

Out of all of doris days co stars who do you think she had the very best chemistry with ? I think she and rock hudson were great togeather. 8)

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: best chemistry

Unread post by suzie »

I love rock as well, but Ithink the chemistry between doris and james garner was the strongest. I always wanted to see gig young in a lead role with doris, wonder why it never happened ? :? He sure was handsome.
suzie

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I agree Gig Young would have been neat to see! :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

It seemed to me that even though Gig and Doris were in many movies together.. They never got together.. Poor Gig never got the girl..

Although, I did love her with Cary Grant.. *swoon*
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I agree with Suzie - James Garner.

However maybe one reason for this is that they were already married in the movies and therefore "more comfortable" with each other.

I think there is a difference in the Doris-Rock movies between PT and LCB to SMNF as well...
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I might be the only one but my personal favorite in the chemistry-department is Rod Taylor :D

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

I liked her with Rock, Garner, Cagney and Rod, but I really like her with John Raitt. The way they moved together and the way they looked at one another was enough heat to light all the matches going into Hernando's Hideaway! They really looked like a couple in love and otherwise!

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

I liked her with James Garner -- even more so now since I know how much he adored her. Had they both not been married at the time -- who knows...what a great "real life" couple they would have made!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Diane T wrote:I liked her with James Garner -- even more so now since I know how much he adored her. Had they both not been married at the time -- who knows...what a great "real life" couple they would have made!
How very true diane , wouldnt that have been exciting ? Both such bueatiful people. :wink:
suzie

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I agree with Haymarketaddict I really liked Rod and Doris best then Rock. :)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Rock & Doris - always first;

Then

James Garner; Rod Taylor; Gordon MaCrae; John Raitt.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I think that Jim Garner would be the first and then Rock - but I also liked the way Doris and Brian Kieth were together - they seemed very close in that last picture.

I am sure Doris had to OK her leading men - wonder if she ever would comment - probably not now.

Count me in with Jim, Rock and Brian.

Hope everyone in the States is having a Happy Thanksgiving - and I hope everyone around the world is well...best happy and healthy wishes to all!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

My votes would be Garner, Keith and Hudson in that order. Especially Hudson in SMNF. I agree that having the characters married takes a lot of the tension out of the character interaction.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I loved her with Rock Hudson and James Garner the best. But Doris had chemistry with any man she was with in her movies. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

You know as far as chemistry with doris' co-workers in general,she and thelma ritter were great togeather.Weather playing a tippsy maid or a classy mother in-law, thelma was terrific playing opposite of doris. They seemed so real. The tippsy maid was a classic for sure. I cant think of anyone who could have done a better job at portraying this part. PERFECTION !!! :wink:
suzie

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

suzie wrote:You know as far as chemistry with doris' co-workers in general,she and thelma ritter were great togeather.Weather playing a tippsy maid or a classy mother in-law, thelma was terrific playing opposite of doris. They seemed so real. The tippsy maid was a classic for sure. I cant think of anyone who could have done a better job at portraying this part. PERFECTION !!! :wink:
I agree!! Thelma and Doris were great together! Pillow Talk and Move Over Darling are two of my favorite Doris movies, and I can't imagine anyone else in her parts either. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

Rock Hudson of course, he'll always be my number one :wink:

fontella

Unread post by fontella »

Rock, definitely Rock. Doris and Jack Carson were also pretty good together.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Among her male co-stars - I think her best leading man was Gordon MacRae. They truly worked well together-----5 films together so in her film career----Gordon holds the record !
She also seemed to have good screen chemistry with Gene Nelson - they danced very well together.
DD also worked well with the various character actors from her career. She had several excellent colleagues.

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

Except for a couple of notable exceptions (Kirk Douglas, Cary Grant, Ray Bolger), I think Doris had great chemistry with all of her leading men--which I attribute to her professionalism, and the fact that most of them fell in love with her! :)
But when I think about which couple was the most "believable", I automatically think of Doris and James Garner. To me, they seemed as if they could have really been a married couple (and I remember reading that Doris AND James felt this as well)! :)
I also loved the chemistry between Doris and Rock, but for me, it has to be Doris and James! :)

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I thought she was very much mismatched with Frank Sinatra. There did seem to be a wall around Frank - a wary one - where he was telling her to 'stay out' !
They did not seem to click !

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

For me it will always be Doris and Rock.
I love Doris' 60's movies,and also James Garner.
From the early movies I would say Gorden McRae.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

TCMMovieFan wrote:I thought she was very much mismatched with Frank Sinatra. There did seem to be a wall around Frank - a wary one - where he was telling her to 'stay out' !
They did not seem to click !
I agree, one can only imagine this character, not Frank personally, was similar to some of the qualities of a couple of her husbands.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

melancholy wrote:Image
For me it will always be Doris and Rock.
I love Doris' 60's movies,and also James Garner.
From the early movies I would say Gorden McRae.
Dorine

I have always felt this way, that James Garner and Doris Day had the more believable chemistry, and not just because Rock was gay, he seemed more like a buddy or something. Same can be said as to Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, they were great sparring partners, but didn't really come across as believable as life partners, although realistically, relationships are strange animals anyway, lol. They mean different things to different people, what we need from them I suppose. Don't get me wrong tho,Hudson and Day had great chemistry, as did Tracy and Hepburn.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Mary Anne I was just wondering if you ever got to meet James Garner or Rock Hudson during the time that you worked for Doris ?
suzie