DORIS...BACK IN THE PICTURE.....FINALLY!

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
mikeydv
Music Master

DORIS...BACK IN THE PICTURE.....FINALLY!

Unread post by mikeydv »

This has been one heck of a year for our girl. At least 3 books, a new christmas dvd and a new christmas cd, all kinds of articles in various magazines (some good/ some bad),some outstanding
never before seen pictures, a segment on Sunday Morning tv (in the US), A Vanity Fair Magazine feature, a German tv documentary underweigh, the Grammy Award, the Magic 63 Radio Program...I am not quite sure what sparked all the renewed interest in this particular year, but I, for one, am glad it happened!
To top it off, I got a short, hand-written thank you note from Doris for a collage that I made and sent to her which featured pictures of her with many of her best costars, wrapped around the words to "I Remember You", which I changed slightly to be more about Doris than people in general. I enjoyed making it, I am glad she liked it. That particular song is my true favorite by Doris. I think she likes it, too, because she recorded it two different times (once on her DAY BY set, and once on her SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY).
So...if 2008 is a great year for Doris...does that mean she will finally win that Oscar in 2009? And if so, I think they should hand deliver it to her doorstep!!!!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Re: DORIS...BACK IN THE PICTURE.....FINALLY!

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That is so true...this has been a wonderful year for Doris. That's amazing that she sent you back the thank you note, I'm sure she loved that collage! I really, really hope she wins an Oscar next year, she deserves it so much. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Well said mikey.... I love doris so much, I hope she has the best year ever. Just think of all of the joy that lady has givin all of us. Id love for her to receive an oscar. I know she could care less about such things, but id like to see her get the oscar,simply because she deserves it. There is none like her and never will be either, doris is a treasure. You dont hardly hear anything about the other stars her age, doris is special and stands out among all the others. WE LOVE DORIS !!! :wink:
suzie

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

The celluloid is timeless - and so is Doris's image. She defined style and had a huge impact on the culture because of her popularity, which is why she seems strangely modern. Sadly, Doris herself, is not timeless - though I wish she were and the show would go on and on..... and she would just keep dancing. If she had not aged, she would probably have twenty academy awards by now.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

If Doris wins the award, one sad thing, because she is afraid to fly, maybe she couldn't make the award show!
I don't really know if this is true, but I read that Doris has a phobia of flying.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

You are correct, she doesn't like flying which appearently goes back to her days as a band singer, as she says in "Her Own Story".

A book you should definitely get if you don't have it already. ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I ordered "Her Own Story" from Amazon. I can't wait to read it! I should receive it tomorrow! :D

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Dianne »

Well stated Mikey...and everyone else....Doris is the loveliest human being God put on this great earth. Beautiful, intelligent, kind, loving, forgiving, humble, caring, talented, generous, and the list continues....She has no idea how she has positively influenced the lives of so many. The animals, by far, have benefited enormously through her efforts...and we humans continue to learn and appreciate her more day by day. We all LOVE you, Doris!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I think we all agree that Doris is very much in our minds and in our hearts. She has given so much over the years to so many - just think what she has given to each one of us! Mere words could never begin to explain all the joy and happiness she has personally given and shared with me over the years. We are the lucky ones - I am sure she has no clue the impact her talent and her personality has upon all of us and the world. She has made her mark for a lifetime in so many ways, not only in the entertainment field, but also has given so much to those who cannot speak for themselves. She more than deserves any and all awards that are still to come. Diane, I agree with you, Mike and all about our dear Doris. God bless you dear Clara!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

littlepinetree wrote:If Doris wins the award, one sad thing, because she is afraid to fly, maybe she couldn't make the award show!
I don't really know if this is true, but I read that Doris has a phobia of flying.
I thought I read on the grammy website that when she was nominated for the Lifetime Grammy award; when she didn't show because of her fear of flying she didn't get her award. Is this true?
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

That is what I read. My understanding was that someone picked up the award for her, and that he will give her the award himself.

DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Unread post by DorisDayFanatic »

Even if she didn't have a phobia of flying I highly doubt she would attend. She hasn't done a live (video) interview since the mid 90s i believe or made an actual public appearance since about that time.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

As much as all her fans would love for Doris to get this award or that award, the bottom line is SHE DOESN'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT AWARDS. All the awards she received in her entire career are stuck in a closet somewhere in her home and not on public view. So...it really doesn't matter TO HER...only TO US!
Personally, what I would like to see is two things:
1. I would like to see the Grammy's select MORE of her recordings for the Hall of Fame (the only ones there now are SECRET LOVE and SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY (for which Les Brown gets the credit).
2. I would like SOMEONE SOMEWHERE to REVISE the list of ALL TIME BOX OFFICE HITS to be commensurate with the time periods. (I mean something like I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS broke all kinds of box office records at Radio City Music Hall when it was out...but...in the big list of things, it doesn't matter because today's money talks and yesterday's does not. If the equations were equalized, perhaps that list would show more of Doris' hits than it does today????