Just Back From a Weekend in Carmel

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Just Back From a Weekend in Carmel

Unread post by jmichael »

My partner and I spent the weekend in gorgeous Carmel. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Cypress Inn was festively decorated and the place was buzzing with holiday spirit. We did not stay there, but we visited a couple of times and enjoyed listening to the pianist play some holiday favorites while we sipped our wine.

And we ate dinner one evening at Cafe Stravaganza, which Doris mentioned during last year's Magic 63 birthday tribute. The food was very good.

Happy holidays to everyone!!!

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

John M
Honorary Member

Re: Just Back From a Weekend in Carmel

Unread post by John M »

Sounds like a great trip, Michael! Carmel is definitely one of the most beautiful and special places... even if Doris didn't live there. I'm going to be driving up the coast there sometime relatively soon, but I haven't narrowed down the time frame. The drive along the coast road from L.A. to Carmel is just exquisite, and one of my most favorite things to do in the world.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Michael, How nice that you went to carmel.Did you take any photos of the cypress all decorated for Christmas ? If you did we sure would love to see them . :D Are you guys going to be there for doris' birthday ?
suzie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Suzie,

Yes, we did snap a few pics in front of the Cypress Inn. I will try to get them uploaded and share them with you before Christmas. Not sure about next April though. We have another travel commitment near that time and I'm not sure we can afford to both. But it's a tough choice. We'd love to be there and celebrate her birthday with such terrific people. Are you going?

Michael
Michael H

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Michael,I would love to go for dodos birthday, but not sure I want to spend the money right now due to the bad economy .Things are not looking to good right now on that front. :| I cant hardly wait to see your photos of the cypress ,im so glad you took pictures . :D
suzie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Here are some snaphots from our visit to Carmel. This was my first time using ImageShack, so let me know if these work or not. Enjoy!

Michael

Michael H

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes, Michael,they turned out very nice. I see you are wearing coats ,it must have been pretty chilly there . The cypress is so pretty, and the beach photos you guys took are great too. Thanks a million for posting them.Maybe someday we will be able to meet you and your partner there for a glass of wine.
suzie

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

Michael,your post and pictures bring back great memories of Carmel and the Cypress Inn, We never saw Doris , but felt her presence. I felt so at home in her Inn. It was great meeting other DD fans. Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to All.
Velda

jmichael
Honorary Member

Greetings, Velda....how are you? Hope you are doing well and enjoying the holidays.

Yes, it may sound a bit corny, but I think you can feel Doris all around the Cypress Inn. The warmth, charm and beauty of the hotel are reflections of her personality. And the fact that there are doggies everywhere is icing on the cake. I think she must view this as one of her proudest professional accomplishments. If you recall in her book, she was not at all pleased with the hotel venture that Marty got her into back in the 60's. How nice that she eventually had the opportunity to own a hotel that possesses the class and style that she is famous for in her films and personal life. Just seems so fitting to me.

Happy Holidays --

Michael
Michael H

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Hey Michael..
Great pictures. I LOVED Carmel when I was there (years before Doris moved there unfortunately). I am a bit confused, tho. If you stayed at the Cyprus Inn, were you able to get a view of Doris' home, or is that not viewable from there. I know there are renovations going on at The Overlook (Doris' home).
I am hoping to get back there sometime soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks..
MIke
P.S. you are a handsome guy!