YOUR FAVORTE DORIS

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
suzie
Forum Big Sister

YOUR FAVORTE DORIS

Unread post by suzie »

I was just wondering, of the talents of Doris which do you like best. Movie star,singer or television star ,oh yes lets not forget dancer ? It is so hard to make a choice as Doris is so very talented in all of these areas.
As for me, her perfect singing voice ,is matched by none. As far as the movie acting goes, there is not one other person on earth who could have played Jan Marrow better. Television ?? I adore her show, so whats my choice ? The great lady herself, and all the wonderful talent that goes with her. The great protector of animals. You miss Day are my favorite all the way around. :wink:
suzie

Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: YOUR FAVORTE DORIS

Unread post by Dianne »

Wow Suzie...it's so hard to say. I was first introduced to Doris through her movies and then when her TV show debuted (I was 12 then) I was hooked even more. I used to take my little Craig reel to reel recorder and put it in front of the TV set to record the episodes. Wish I still had those!! Each stage in her career has been phenominal and absolutely fabulous. But I think I tend to adore her even more when she is doing what she LOVES most....the animals. When you look at some of the photos from the 70's where she was involved with Actors and Others for Animals....the auctions....the benefits...she was just glowing....beaming....so happy and alive!!!
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

If you have read my profile, you know I'm a vocal coach, since 1974. I can tell you as a professional, Doris has a flawless singing voice. She is one of the best singers in the world in this kind of music. She has the wow factor in anything she does. As I said on another post, I like her better yet in her 40's when she got highly experienced in her craft. And, looks the most beautiful, in my mind. All I can say about Doris is, "WOW!" :D

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

My favorite Doris is the wonderful lady who lives in Carmel. I knew her best during her TV show while working with her and have so many precious memories of that time. But I was first introduced to her in Calamity Jane in 1954 and became a big DD fan instantly. As I grew up, Doris changed over the years also - Now we are so lucky to still have this wonderful lady with us - she is an awesome, fun-loving lady who has given so much to so many...we are the lucky ones!!!!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

You ,know you really have to hand it to Doris, she is a huge success at evrything she has put her hand to. Acting, singing dancing and the best of all, her true love and devotion to the animals . Most people strive a lifetime just to be great at one thing and Doris has done it at many things. Heres to you Doris, for a life well lived ..... Great job.
suzie

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Suzie,
You are so right - Doris has done it all and no other actor can say that. She is unique in so many ways and we have been able to enjoy her talents over the years.
Thank you Clara for giving us your all - you are much appreciated for everything you have done over the years - you continue to be a constant source of inspiration to me...what more could one ask?

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Perfectly stated, Mary Ann! If I HAD to choose ONE medium....it would have to be her singing...that is one thing, thank God, we will always have access to....that wonderful, glorious voice that can sing any song and make it better!!!

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

I do so love to hear Doris sing ,its so pure and perfect. I would have to choose singing. BILL

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

It would have to be her fine singing.
As for her movies -- I like her best in her early films at WB --- the ones where she was permitted to be positive and energetic and the 'onward and forward' approach.
As good as was some of her later work----there were not as many opportunities for her to use this approach which is what initially brought her so many fans.
After all - she is one among a very small number of entertainers who was able to somehow combine her philosophy with her work.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

So hard to choose, I love her for everything that is excellent :D In all champion

PS:Unfortunately I do not know English and I use Google Translator, I hope you understand what I write :?: Anne of Polish :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

So hard to choose, I love her for everything that is excellent :D In all champion

PS:Unfortunately I do not know English and I use Google Translator, I hope you understand what I write :?: Anne of Polish :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I really cannot pick between Doris the actress and Doris the singer- of course, Doris the animal activist comes a very close second.

Re:- Films: -
Like author George Morris [Norris??]- I feel Doris' film career can be divided into 3 approx periods (1) The WB years; (2) the Golden Years & (3) the Romantic comedy years - My favourite period is what I would call the Golden years- where Doris really came into her own and gave her most brilliant and diverse portrayals - from 1955 to 1959 = films such as Man who knew too much; Love me or leave me; Teacher's pet, Pajama Game and Pillow Talk!

Re:Music:
I think Doris' voice/ sound can also be divided into approximately 3-4 periods where she sounds slightly different but always immediately Doris Day:
(1) the Big Band years;
(2) early solo years (1947-52)
(3) the classic years (1953-60)
(4) the lush years (1960- )
My favourite period of the above is the classic years although I love them all!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

I love Doris:
A diamond voice
2 charming freckles
3 disarming smile
4 "Pillow Talk"
5 "Calamity Jane"
6 "The. Man Who Knew Too Much"
7 "Please Do not Eat the Daisies"
8 great love for animals
9 such an amazing flashes in the eye
10 elegance
11 great class
12 style
13 magic
14 spell
15 beauty
16 wonderful and perfect figure
because he gives me so much joy and emotion and makes life more beautiful
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I feel exactly the same, Jas.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Butterflies in my stomach♥♥ :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

Ania YouTube

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:I feel exactly the same, Jas.
Me too...

DorisIsTerrific

Unread post by DorisIsTerrific »

First I love her as an actress she is awesome in all her movies act then I love her as a singer her voice is so pretty. :D

Becky
Forum Friend

Unread post by Becky »

When I think of Doris I think of a big burst of sunshine, that light at the end of the tunnel, that sense of joy when everything is going right, positivity, happiness, kindness, inner beauty bursting out onto the outside...
Every time I think of Doris I can't be sad, she is just a really kind, caring, sweet and funny person and she brings joy into my life.

I may not even know her personally, but I feel like I do. She is someone everyone could be friends with and you feel like you know her, without ever meeting her or knowing her personally. She is someone that never lets anything get to her deeply, she just smiles and has hope and faith in herself and the world and what it brings and things work out.

When I listen to Doris' voice it makes me want to drift off into a day-dream. She has the most beautiful voice that is completely flawless and it touches your heart deeply. You truly feel every word she sings.

She is such a beautiful lady inside and out and so cute! Can anyone disagree? Can't you agree that her smile is just the cutest thing?

I can't say whether I like music or movies more because both are so even in talent and I could not seriously pick one. She is extremely gifted in both

There is nothing I dislike about Miss Day at all.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Becky wrote:When I think of Doris I think of a big burst of sunshine, that light at the end of the tunnel, that sense of joy when everything is going right, positivity, happiness, kindness, inner beauty bursting out onto the outside...
Every time I think of Doris I can't be sad, she is just a really kind, caring, sweet and funny person and she brings joy into my life.

I may not even know her personally, but I feel like I do. She is someone everyone could be friends with and you feel like you know her, without ever meeting her or knowing her personally. She is someone that never lets anything get to her deeply, she just smiles and has hope and faith in herself and the world and what it brings and things work out.

When I listen to Doris' voice it makes me want to drift off into a day-dream. She has the most beautiful voice that is completely flawless and it touches your heart deeply. You truly feel every word she sings.

She is such a beautiful lady inside and out and so cute! Can anyone disagree? Can't you agree that her smile is just the cutest thing?

I can't say whether I like music or movies more because both are so even in talent and I could not seriously pick one. She is extremely gifted in both

There is nothing I dislike about Miss Day at all.
you are right..she is unique..thank you

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

My mother, father and brothers listened to Doris' singing all through the fifities to this day. We grew up with doris singing iin the background. She is an extended member of our family.
When a Doris Day movie came to town (Kingston Ontario) we would go as a family. The first movie i saw was Calmity Jane. I can still remember Doris singing Secret Love while riding a horse. I think my entire family had a crush on her.

It is a tough choice but it is her voice, both singing and speaking that stays with me to this day.

My favouite Doris Day album ( although I love them all) is Day By Day, Day By Night. I play it every Sunday while reading.
Johnny

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I love the PERSON that Doris is!

For me, even if I admire a person's talent, I just can't feel any affection toward that person unless I like WHO he/she is. Doris is such an amazing PERSON--her incredible talents and her untiring, selfless work for the animals, are just an extension of who she is.

And I love what Becky said....it perfectly describes how I feel about our Doris. :)

I hope you all have a lovely "Day"!

God Bless,
Rachel

Sinem
Forum Friend

Unread post by Sinem »

I love her because she looks amiable and motherly. :oops: Doris different from other actresses. I felt her near me.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

howard wrote:I feel exactly the same, Jas.
very nice...Howard I have changed my [email protected] LOVE MM

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris Day's work is part of the fabric of our lives. Her work with and for animals is admirable and indicates a kind and passionate committment to an important cause.

Her songs play in my home almost every day. Yesterday I was l8istening to Doris' glorious voice sing Autumn Leaves. Doris' voice gives Autumn Leaves an incredibly beautiful and wistful mood that is perfection. Her rendition of this song is truly haunting. I have never heard anyone else sing this song with the same standard of excellence.

Doris is one fo my favouite people every day of the year. I have great gratitude for her many talents that she has shared with us all. She makes our lives much richer and happier.
Johnny

Pianoman

Unread post by Pianoman »

I would have to say her glorious recordings. Her singing. Her success if movies somewhat obscured and blurred lines on the fact that she the top female singer of all time. There were others of course but in my book - she tops the list.
As for her movies --- early DD is the best. The musicals. Those films in which she could sing, dance, and act.
Her later efforts for some reason pale by comparison -- she does give them her all -- but the material somehow limits her options. The powers-that-be began to have her pigeonholed. If someone is versatile - they need to have all their talents utilized.
I would have to cite also her professionalism. Her willingness to make even an inferior property work through the dazzling warmth and optimism.