Doris Day: General Discussion 2

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 2

Unread post by Dianne »

Sometime last fall I saw (and I'm trying to recall the details) a documentary which included information about a famous Hollywood make-up artist. Of course the documentary itself looked as though it was produced sometime in the early 60's. In fact, it was I'm assuming, originally intended as a trailer to a film produced during that time period. They were showing how face molds were created (pain-stakenly) while the celebrity would patiently sit without moving while wax was painted onto their face. Once it dried and was removed, a plaster substance was poured into the wax mold. These molds were created to test make-up applications for the celebrities and I guess expedite the process for the shoot. When they panned the wall of molds, Doris jumped right out from the wall....along with Jimmy Durante. And of course there was also the famous Judy Garland. Does anyone else remember ever seeing this trailer and if so, maybe you can ellaborate or correct me....it's all kind of fuzzy :roll:. And I wonder if these precious molds are still hanging in some Hollywood vault!! What a find if they are. :)
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I saw the Doris mold a number of years ago at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. It was displayed along with the molds of a number of Hollywood luminaries. It's no longer on display ... have no idea where they've gone.
Like Irene Dunne done.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Well at least we can say she had a wax mold. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

There is a mural of Doris in the food court at the All Movies motel at Walt Disney World. It is from the "Shaking the Blues Away" number from "Love Me or Leave Me." I spotted it right away. My husband did not think it was a good likeness. Her hair was a little darker than it should have been.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Did you know there is a picture of her in the MGM Hotel bathroom in Los Vegas. Around the time of the Tunnel of Love.
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Vicki M, I stayed at that hotel when we went to Disney World last October. Mainly because I wanted to see if they recognized our Doris. I'm sorry to tell you that wasn't Doris. When I first saw it there in the food court, I thought it was her too. So I went right up to it, and it wasn't her. It was just some other lady who looks like Doris from a distance in her Love Me Or Leave Me gown. I know what you're talking about though!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

daybyday08
Honorary Member

This was the bathroom in the hotel it definitely was her. I am pretty sure it said her name too. It was in a gold frame. She had a fur wrap on from the Tunnel of Love time.
- Dominique

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I never used the public bathrooms there, so I guess I didn't see that. But in the cafeteria there was a mural of someone who looked an awful lot like Doris. Did you see her?
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

"It was just some other lady who looks like Doris from a distance in her Love Me Or Leave Me gown. I know what you're talking about though!"

It might have been Cyd Charisse ... she wore the "Shakin' the Blues Away" gown in an MGM musical a couple of years after "Love Me or Leave Me."
Like Irene Dunne done.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Was it the dress she wore in The Band Wagon maybe?
- Dominique

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Question:

What is a mural?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

A mural is a large picture painted or affixed directly on a wall or ceiling. Greatly enlarged photographs may also be used. A mural is like a trompe l'oeil.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Has anyone heard that Doris is a recent convert to Scientology?

I heard she met Jenna Elfman and she indoctrinated her, which was not difficult because Doris has an interest generally in religion and life n the here after. I am not sure about this but someone thought that Doris was subjected to a procedure that removed a thetan named Kappelhoff from within her. Once liberated, she became two years younger and felt better.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Does anyone know why Doris brought Bill de Wolfe to see Kathryn Kuhlman? Was it for a special prayer, in the hope he would be redeemed?
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Gerard - I hope YOU aren't planning to write a book on Doris! :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

hahaha
Megan
-----------------

daybyday08
Honorary Member

That's funny! I wish there was a picture book of just photos of Doris . Sometimes they do that with the Life books.
- Dominique

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Gerard,
You asked if anyone knew why DOris took Billy De Wolfe to see Kathryn Kuhlman...Doris and I took Billy to see Kathryn. Billy had been diagnosed with a terminal case of cancer, however, Doris had asked his doctor not to tell him. Doris called Kathryn and said that we would be bringing him to one of her healing services at the Shrine Auditorium. We were ushered upstairs - Billy could hardly make the climb. We sat on either side of him. Following the public prayer service Kathryn had told Doris to bring him to her private office after the service which we did. Doris, Billy and I were in Kathryn's private office and she placed her hands on him and prayed over him. It was quite a moving experience for everyone. Doris and I had great hopes that he would be healed.

I hope that no one takes this as "too personal" info - it is a part of history and I was there and am able to give you first hand information on this particular event. Doris and Billy were very close and they had a mutual admiration for one another.

So Gerard, now you know. Billy was a wonderful man. We had many great times with him. He was a real gentleman. God rest his soul!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re- the idea of a book of just pictures: I so agree. I have often thought of such a book, it would be fabulous. I really don't know why it hasn't been done, we have them of Audrey, Liz, Marilyn etc.

I have even thought of the title - 'Doris Day: Through the Daycades'.

J

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I think "DORIS DAY - The Illustrated Biography" by Michael Freedland was an attempt at that:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2523&p=24378#p24378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just been listening to a clip of a new cover version of "Que Sera, Sera" from the album "Dave Alvin and The Guilty Women" on Amazon.
Quote: "The honky-tonk treatment is even applied to a cover of the Doris Day classic “Que Sera Sera."

Have a listen:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Que-Sera-Whatev ... B0026M4GLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think? I rather like it.
"When Doris Day sang "Que Sera Sera," she sounded dreamy, innocent. When Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women performed it Saturday at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music, they sounded irreverent, naughty even. And damn was it fun."
http://cahlsjukejoint.blogspot.com/2009 ... rt-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I like it too!
Like Irene Dunne done.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Thanks for sharing Mary Anne.

Re: The Picture Book
I like the idea too. Maybe they could make a book of all her movies and songs. And like for the movies give a full summery of them. And for the songs, explain like when she recorded them and give the lyrics.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

That's a wild recording of Que Sera Sera! I can do the Texas two step with that arrangement! Lol! :lol:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes, mary Anne,I know you loved Billy, he was a doll.He loved Myrha muffin alot too didnt he . Saw That darling little dog on "pet talk " with Billy and Doris, she was so cute.
littlepinetree wrote:That's a wild recording of Que Sera Sera! I can do the Texas two step with that arrangement! Lol! :lol:
You go girl.... Dance girl dance lol. Thats a fun dance. :wink:
suzie