Doris Day: General Discussion 2

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day: General Discussion 2

Unread post by webmaster »

Please use this section for posts that fall into the area of 'General Discussion' that do not require a whole topic to themselves. You can post about different Doris-related issues or ask question about her here.

I'll start it off by saying I've just treated myself to:

TCM Spotlight: Doris Day Collection
(It's a Great Feeling / Tea for Two / April in Paris / The Tunnel of Love / Starlift)

Well, I've pre-ordered it - it's released on April 7th - you can save $15 off the full price if you pre-order:
http://tinyurl.com/agcphc

Looking forward to that! I think that's all her films on DVD now, isn't it?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 2

Peter Flapper » 27 Feb 2009 06:00 pm

Hi Bryan,
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that "Julie" and "Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?" are out on dvd jet. If they are, please let me know.
P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hadn't thought about those two, Peter. I think you are right - I haven't seen them offered for sale anywhere.
webmaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
howard » 27 Feb 2009 11:24 pm

"Midnight Lace" and "Ballad of Josie" haven't been released in the States yet. I heard that "Julie" will be released in an upcoming film noir collection.
howard

webmaster » 27 Feb 2009 11:33 pm

I like that idea, Howard. As a Doris fan, "Julie" is quite exciting. There are so many films of hers that you'd love to watch with other fans that other people wouldn't appreciate. What a difference a Day makes.
webmaster

mikeydv » 28 Feb 2009 06:14 pm

We have two theatres in the Baltimore Area that run old films, both are in Baltimore City. One, The Senator, is a historical landmark. The other, The Charles, dates back to the 50's. I keep sending them emails about running some old DD movies on the big screen, but since I am the ONLY ONE doing any requests, I guess they just read my emails and keep laughing. Now..if a few other people would get on the bandwagon, we COULD have a DD Retrospective here on the Big Screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!mikeydv

webmaster » 01 Mar 2009 09:07 pm

Which do you think is Doris' most underrated film? Or which films do you think are underrated?

I think "Send Me No Flowers" is somewhat underrated - it's a great plot, the idea that someone would try and find another partner for their beloved, having found out they only have a short time to live, appeals to me, I like the unselfishness of that!

Doris said it was 'Rock's picture' and I do remember her not being around for long periods of time, but she was an essential part of it.

webmaster

daybyday08 » 01 Mar 2009 09:26 pm

I think My Dream is Yours is underrated. I think it's a very good movie. With great music & acting. I thought the whole movie was a very good musical. Most people don't mention it though."If somebody was trying to take Fred away from you you'd sing another tune."-Lucy. "Yeah, HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!" - Ethel - * I Love Lucy *
daybyday08

webmaster » 01 Mar 2009 09:33 pm

Good point - I think you are right there. Perhaps because it wasn't in colour?

MGM made all these great colour films while Warners were still shooting them in black and white.What a difference a Day makes.
webmaster

howard » 01 Mar 2009 11:41 pm

Bryan, "My Dream Is Yours" IS in color. You're thinking of "I'll See You in My Dreams," which is wonderful, but unfortunately, underrated, too!
howard

suzie » 02 Mar 2009 12:47 am

I think "Julie " is underrated as well . When Doris played terrified, she was able to extend that feeling right along to us. We felt her terror, we felt her urgency in needing to escape . On the plane we felt her need to save everyone on board and we held our breath right along with her, that my friends is true ability to act so well that know one knows your acting. Thats our Doris. The best of the best.. suzie
suzie

Jas1 » 02 Mar 2009 02:52 pm

I think 'The Thrill of it All' is underrated [today] - although it wasn't at the time. I think this is much superior to the other films with James Garner [Move Over Darling].

I have to say too, I think Caprice was somewhat underrated at the time of release; partly bad timing for I believe if it had been made and released a few years earlier, it would have been another hit for Doris. Unfortunately it came out at the wrong time and just as the backlash was starting to be directed at Miss Day.
Jas1

webmaster » 04 Mar 2009 01:49 pm

I came across the story below:

Piers Morgan: My favourite moments on Planet Tabloid
Piers Morgan recounts some of his most outrageous edit-and-tell revelations from a decade spent at the grubbier end of Fleet Street

MOST SHAMELESS PHOTO OPPORTUNITY EVER SEIZED:
"Kent Gavin, the Mirror's royal photographer, was sent to photograph Doris Day in her eighth-floor Manhattan apartment. Kent was left with her beloved pet dog while she answered the phone, and started throwing a ball for it to fetch. He slightly overthrew it, the dog raced to fetch it, and Kent realised to his horror that the window was open. End of Doris Day's dog.

When she came back into the room, a shocked Kent said: "I'm terribly sorry but there's been a dreadful accident - your dog has fallen out of the window."

Minutes later, a sobbing Doris was cradling her dead, mangled pet in her arms . And what was the killer doing? "I thought I may as well take a few pictures while I was there," he confessed.
The next day's Daily Mirror carried: DORIS DAY WEEPS FOR DEAD DOG - World Exclusive - Pictures by Kent Gavin."

It doesn't say what year it was - I wonder if it's true?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 05609.html
webmaster

howard » 04 Mar 2009 05:15 pm

I'm pretty sure that Doris has never had a Manhattan apartment. The only lengthy stays she had in New York were during her Hit Parade days, and during an extended big band gig in that great city. During those periods, she stayed at a hotel.
howard

webmaster » 04 Mar 2009 05:33 pm

Didn't she stay in New York during the premier of Pillow Talk?

She may have stayed in a rented apartment there some time. The person who wrote it, Piers Morgan - still on TV a lot, worked for the newspaper concerned and I'd be surprised if he referred to a piece about her that didn't exist as it could be easily checked.

webmaster

howard » 04 Mar 2009 05:39 pm

As far as I know, she and Marty would stay at the Plaza Hotel when in New York City.
howard

webmaster » 04 Mar 2009 06:40 pm

Maybe they've confused her with someone else.

webmaster

so can this be played on british dvds - i have tea for two and april in paris but i would probably buy it if it is because as i said before it's a great feeling is really hard to get on video
This one can't as it's Region 1 (UK is Region 2) but I'm sure it will be released on Region 2 before too long.

(You posted as I was filling in some of the missing comments due to move to another server so this may all be a bit confusing!)

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I was doing a little reading about Lew Wasserman, and ran across this statement :

In addition, MCA invented the dubious practice of setting up production companies for entertainers so that they could avoid paying taxes. Of course later, when the star's career started to fade, that same production company became an ever-hungry money pit.

-----------------------
You have all that money - and who wants to give it to the government when you can give it to the propsters?
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I was doing a little reading about Lew Wasserman, and ran across this statement :

In addition, MCA invented the dubious practice of setting up production companies for entertainers so that they could avoid paying taxes. Of course later, when the star's career started to fade, that same production company became an ever-hungry money pit.
Whoever said that is revealing a total lack of understanding about what a performer's corp does. It does not help them avoid taxes in any way, it merely helps them pay less and be able to strategize more to save on some tax opportunties. And you never have to put anything in them, so they're hardly money-pits.

I wish people would stop writing about the business if they have no business sense. :roll:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Taxes would be easier to part with if governments didn't waste them on war and nuclear weapons - not to mention the amount they cream off for themselves.

Moving on - what do you think of the new banner? Does she look a bit sad?

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I love the new banner. I don't think she looks sad.. It looks kind of like she's hiding a secret. Almost like the Monna Lisa.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Cool. (I know Mary Anne always likes smiling photos. :) )

Seems to change from the new one to the old one - probably just settling down.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

GREAT banner, Bryan! Best one yet. I think she looks very seductive in that one. Gorgeous.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Thanks John!

I worked on another one for about an hour first but wasn't completely happy - I'll upload it so you can all see.

webmaster

This is the one:

http://www.dorisday.net/forum-images.html

I can get obsessed with an image of Doris but some don't work out.

webmaster

Thanks Samantha. She looks great in those early photos.

Looking at the most recent tabloid intrusive photo, Doris seems to have grown her hair long again.
I like shaving mine off and growing it again - what's left. Luckily nowadays you can have big hair, small hair or no hair.

No, she doesn't look sad but she looks 'different', more serious, which I didn't notice until I enlarged the image. We forget she was a single mother working to support her child, despite the so-called glamour of being a singer, at that time.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Love the banner Bry. 8)
suzie

webmaster

Thanks Suzie, dear. (Men can occasionally be unguarded if they like someone - hang on, what finishing school did I go to. Oh I remember, St Trinians.)

It's almost midnight in London - what time is it in the US? Usually I think you are 8 hours behind (at least emotionally :) ) but I think it varies depending on where you are (you don't say?).

Anyway, I really like Fridays (you don't say?) - time to wind down and have fun.

And Samanta, can you turn your caps lock off please - all capitals are really hard to read. Thanks.

webmaster

Samanta - you are nice enough - and you are more than your hair - as I keep telling myself - some people loose their limbs.

Well I'm a great comfort, aren't i?

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Bryan,
Love your new banner! I am assuming you meant moi when you said the following:

Cool. (I know Mary Anne always likes smiling photos. )

THANK YOU BRYAN for ALL you do for us - and for providing this wonderful forum for us to share our love for Doris. It is much appreciated. Even though I don't do a lot of posting, I do check the forum daily and enjoy all the topics and will chime in when I think I have something to add. But just know your hard work is appreciated very much. Thanks again.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

webmaster wrote:It's almost midnight in London - what time is it in the US? Usually I think you are 8 hours behind (at least emotionally :) ) but I think it varies depending on where you are (you don't say?).
Yes, it depends where we are. I'm on central time, so I think I'm like 7 hours behind you.. And 8 hours behind Marion. It's 9:30pm here, so you guys are probably already in bed Bryan and Marion..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

my goodness gracious me Bryan....Just opened the forum,CONGRATS ON THE PICTURE
It must be very diffucult to find the right one,but Doris looks stunning,captivating.
This is a real thrill !!!
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

by the way Samantha,we can always start a topic on Doris' hair,right?there are topics about "best dresses",so why not about her different hairdo?Througout her career her hair has always been fabulous.
When do you turn 18?
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Thanks Samantha

I've also put it on the main site - to give it a bit of continuity - and also because a 'a picture is sometimes worth a 1000 words' - but it does have impact - or rather Doris does close up.

http://www.dorisday.net/

webmaster

And melancholy - sorry, missed your post - thanks you.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, I too love the banner and much prefer it to the alternative [although the colours in the alternative are lovely; it has that hair style that I just don't care for]!

Oh and Bryan, I second what Mary Anne said and your Friday sentiments; Friday has always been my favourite day/ night, even more so than Saturday!

melancholy
Honorary Member

question,since now I figured out how to mail pictures in..is this possibility "broken off" for the time being? or is it me "stuggling"...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes Samantha, I love 1940s film/ film noir particularly and the hairstyles were [generally] much more flattering. I agree about Jane Wyman, although by the time of 'All that Heaven Allows' her hair was nicer [still short but nicer than the very severe cut of 'Magnificent Obsession'].

In the 1940s I particularly love Lana, Rita, Ava and Katherine Hepburn, oh and Ginger and they all looked superb in their long hair styles!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Maureen O'Hara was beautiful and of course, Irish!

One of the best [and most famous] hair styles of the 1940s is the one Rita Hayworth wore in 'Gilda'- superb and ultra sexy! I love her hair too though cut and dyed [caused a sensation] for 'Lady from Shangai'.