Casting - The Doris Day Story

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Casting - The Doris Day Story

Unread post by Johnny »

Someone in another posting suggested Charlize Theron play Doris Day in a film of her life story. Excellent choice!

Some additional casting choices:
Doris -Reese Weatherspoon -Julia Roberts with blue eyes
Terry Melcher- Matt Damon -Jake Gyllenhall -Ryan Gosling-Jerry o' Connell
Marty Melcher - Clive Owen- Adrien Brody -Michael Shannon Jim Carrey
Alma Kapplehoff - Meryl Streep -Frances Mc Dormand
William Kappelehoff- Ed Harris - William Macy
Al Jordan - Ryan Gosling - Christen Bale
Jerome Rosenthal- Kevin Kline - Stanley Tucci - Jim Carrey

There is a brilliant story to be told. It should be told by brilliant storytellers.
I would hope all the cast would pay tribute to Doris by donating their fees to animal welfare charities that Doris chooses. Wouldn't Doris be pleased? Oh yes, Doris should be able to approve the script. This would be true recognition to a Hollywood treasure by the Hollywood community. Doris deserves this and no less.

Johnny
Johnny

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Casting - The Doris Day Story

Unread post by webmaster »

Charlize Theron to play Doris would be a good choice.
And what about the actress who plays Lynette in Desperate Housewives, Felicity Huffman, below?

Johnny said: I would hope all the cast would pay tribute to Doris by donating their fees to animal welfare charities that Doris chooses. Wouldn't Doris be pleased? Oh yes, Doris should be able to approve the script.
I don't think either of those suggestions are realistic. Actors have to earn a living as well!
And it wouldn't work if the subject of a film biography could veto the script, think of Doris playing Ruth Etting, a lot of which was 'creative drama' - a consultant perhaps, like Etting was and got paid for, but I think it's the last thing Doris would get involved with anyway.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

The way I heard it ... shortly after DD's '75 biography came out, Olivia Newton-John met with Doris to discuss portraying her in a theatrical motion picture. I believe Doris nixed the proposal and that was the end of that!
Like Irene Dunne done.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I wouldn't mind playing Do Do.. :lol:
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

The way I heard it ... shortly after DD's '75 biography came out, Olivia Newton-John met with Doris to discuss portraying her in a theatrical motion picture. I believe Doris nixed the proposal and that was the end of that!
Exactly! Doris is no fool - why would she want to be portrayed by an Australian pop singer with a voice that isn't anyway near her quality?

And Megan, you'd have to dye your hair and ditch the glasses! And have a unique voice! Might work as a low budget indie film (I'll direct!).
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:And Megan, you'd have to dye your hair and ditch the glasses! And have a unique voice! Might work as a low budget indie film (I'll direct!).
I wouldn't mind dying my hair to play her. And I've already got the glasses thing taken care of them. I ditched them for contacts!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I have blue eyes. I think they're kind of gray though. I call them steel blue because that's what they look like.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Even if your eyes aren't the right color to play Doris, there are always colored contacts!
also, Reese Weatherspoon is too short to play Doris!
I do wonder if they want an actress that can sing, or just someone dubbing Doris Day's voice!
Often when an actress or actor portray someone, they don't always look like the person they are playing.
Personally, I have a hard time when someone looks too different.
I think it would be very,very hard to find someone to play Doris!! I can't think of one single person!
This is a fun topic! :D

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Doris played Ruth Etting and Grace Kahn and she didn't look like them. And she certainly didn't sound like Ruth Etting when she sang. But it was still an amazing performance, and it was nice to see her spin on her life and her music.
Megan
-----------------

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I agree. There isn't one person who could do justice to the part. That we know of anyway. Maybe there's some immensely talented newcomer waiting to be discovered, but I doubt it. I think that's one of the reasons Doris became so hugely poplular. There were other nice, blonde, girl-next-door types (like June Allyson), but none of them had that indefinable something extra that Doris had that separates the stars from the Superstars.

And I fear too many people would play the "surface" and not the depth of Doris. Now maybe if her friend Clint Eastwood directed it, we might get a in-depth look at her. He knows full well about being a true motion picture superstar icon and separating the image from the reality.

When I first read Doris' book back in 1977, I thought, this would have to be a TV mini-series, which were just becoming popular. A 2 or 3 parter. Just too much to tell to fit into one film. Part 1: childhood up until she leaves Al Jorden. Part 2: Marrying Marty and stardom up through Pillow Talk Park 3: Superstardom and the decline of the career ending with the Rosenthal verdict. Now of course, we'd need another episode.

But, alas, without the crucial central figure, it would all come to nothing anyway. Everybody I try to visualize in the role just comes off as a kid trying to "play" Doris Day. I can't picture anyone being Doris Day. :cry:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I like Bryan's idea of Charlize.

I was also thinking that while she doesn't have a face just like Doris' (although, as Megan said, that's not always important), one person I do think could pull it off is Kate Winslet. She could do the freckled face Babe Williams look all the way to the stunning Jean Louis gown look and have the chops and gravitas to pull of the depths of Doris the woman.

Think the white gown in Pillow Talk...
"Here comes Babe Williams." Or Jane Osgood...
Lover Come Back? Arriving in Catalina to film Glass Bottom Boat?
Imagine her in the Teacher's Pet black dress, mambo-ing...
The gold lame from The Thrill of it All, or Ruth Etting backstage at the Ziegfeld Follies...
(Images for the above captions no longer exist,)
Plus, just imagine the voice over in the preview trailer, "Academy Award Winner Kate Winslet is Doris Day."

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

She doesn't have Doris' cute face cheeks! Lol! :lol:

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

If your cousin is a really good actress, that would be neat if she can get an audition, and send in her picture! The down side is that I have no idea how to get an audition or even where to send a picture.
I can't think of any famous actress of today that can play Doris!
They may have to find a new actress to play her!
Doris' chubby cheeks is what makes her (an your cousin too) look so adorable.
She is cute and beautiful! I'm sure you all agree!
Sure, it's not all about looks, but even so, I personally can't stand it if they are too different.
For an example, there was a TV movie on Shirley Temple, and the little girl was very skinny, unlike Shirley, and I thought this child actress that played Shirley was ugly! Sorry to say that, but that's how I feel.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I agree , this is a great topic. I imagine someday that there will be many attemps made at making a Doris movie. Doris is hugely popular even now when she does not want to be lol. Doris has that certain something that makes people want to know her and want to know more about her . Doris draws people to her. Anyone wanting to portray her would have to be someone like our megan who actually loves everything about the Doris Day persona . Megan would be great at that as she has a great knowledge of her subject, out siders such as those mentioned may not be able to capture that certain something that Megan already understands as she herself is drawn to Doris by that same draw. I'm sure some day there will be a great Doris Day movie , and I'm sure that there will still be thousands of fans as well. :wink:
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Thanks Suzie!
kapplehoff wrote:so what age is the person going to be to play doris cos you can't be all ages.
Well Samantha, with today's technology we can do a lot. With the right makeup, clothing, and posture. You can make someone in their twenties look like they're in their seventies. Have you seen the Carol Burnett show? She could make herself look beautiful, or ugly, young, or old.

Keep in mind everyone though, we need to find someone who can sing. I know no one will be able to sing quite like Doris, but we need someone who can at least carry a tune and make their voice appeal to the audience.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

But remember Megan, often they have someone in movies that can't sing at all, and they dub the singing.
I usually hate that, but this time since it's Doris Day, I almost would like it if they dubbed, but at the same time, it would be weird to see someone else, with Doris' singing voice! This is tricky!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

littlepinetree wrote:But remember Megan, often they have someone in movies that can't sing at all, and they dub the singing.
I think I'd like whoever played her to sing themselves. I'd like to see someone else's spin on Do Do's life and voice. Like Doris did with Ruth Etting. She didn't sound anything like Ruth Etting, but she put her own spin on it that made the movie that much better.
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I also want to say, that in finding an actress, it's not only the look that's important, but the facial expressions, and the way they move and carry themselves. This is very,very hard. This can be over done by an actress. One of the things I couldn't stand about the little girl that played Shirley Temple, is that she really did over due Shirley's expression, and the way she spoke. A very fine actress will be able to do this without over or under doing it. Making a movie of Doris Day would be a huge challenge if it's going to be great, but I have a feeling, if this movie is going to be made, it will be enough to make us puke! :|

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Very good point Megan!!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Thanks Lisa. I think it would be nice to see someone's take on Doris' life. I think we need an unknown actress though. Someone who won't let the part go to their head. I think the movie could have some potential.
Megan
-----------------

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

No one can sing like Doris. The actor would have to dub her songs. The songs are treasures that should only be heard with Doris Day's voice.

Johnny
Johnny

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

kapplehoff wrote:yes i agree they should be dubbed
I still go with what I said earlier. Doris Day sounded nothing like Ruth Etting, or Grace Kahn for that matter. She just put her own spin on their voices, and it turned out very well. I think it would be cool to see someone's take on her music. You never know, you could like it.
Megan
-----------------

fontella

Unread post by fontella »

I can't think of any contemporary actress who would do justice to Doris. I propably wouldn't like it no matter who they cast. There are just some people who are larger than life and should not be imitated, for examle The Audrey Hepburn Story (2000) was horrible, Jennifer Love Hewitt as Audrey, I don't think so!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I still think you have a good point Megan, but one thing I just thought of, people didn't know Ruth Etting's singing as well as people know Doris Day's singing. I asked elderly people like my Mom if they ever heard of Ruth Etting, and so far they all said no. When that movie was made, many didn't know who Ruth Etting was, but after watching the movie, then more people knew who she was.
But, everyone knows Doris Day, and we know what her singing sounds like, so because of this, we will be more critical of an actress singing Doris' songs.
I'm not saying Ruth Etting wasn't famous in her day, but by the time the movie came along, it could be many didn't know who she was, or knew very little about her. Maybe they remember the songs, but not remember who sung them.
Here it is, 40 years since Doris did her last film, and here we are, still talking fondly about her.
Just a thought.

PS. More on my thoughts about this.
In the 1920's and 30's, the recording business wasn't as huge as it got in the 1950's and beyond. The 1920's had silent movies, so a singer couldn't get known through the movies yet. Singers mostly got known by performing live. You pretty much had to be a history buff to know who Ruth Etting was even by the time "Love Me Or Leave Me" came out. The teenagers and young adults of the 50's and 60's really wouldn't know Ruth Etting. But maybe the elderly knew back then.
My Two Cents.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

While I agree with Megan about usually wanting to see the performers do their own singing instead of being dubbed, I'm can't make up my mind in this case.

I usually prefer the undubbed, like Sissy Spacek's extraordinary performance in Coal Miner's Daughter. Also, in that same movie, millions heard Beverly D'Angelo sing Patsy Cline's songs, got interestws in Cline's records and went out and bought them. Her catalogue has a HUGE surge in sales because of the movie, and has been selling well ever since. So it can have great effects on the artist's catalogue as well as making the film more of a single work of art.

BUT, in this case, I'm not sure I could listen to someone trying to sing Doris' songs unless they were an EXTRAORDINARY singer. It would have to be someone who hasn't come along yet. I think I'd prefer the dubbing in this case.
littlepinetree wrote:I also want to say, that in finding an actress, it's not only the look that's important, but the facial expressions, and the way they move and carry themselves. This is very,very hard. This can be over done by an actress. One of the things I couldn't stand about the little girl that played Shirley Temple, is that she really did over due Shirley's expression, and the way she spoke. A very fine actress will be able to do this without over or under doing it. Making a movie of Doris Day would be a huge challenge if it's going to be great, but I have a feeling, if this movie is going to be made, it will be enough to make us puke!
I know what you mean. It's part of what I was refering to when I talked about "playing the surface of Doris." It could almost become a parody if the actress doesn't play the truth BEHIND it all. Doris never "played" her emotions. She "was" her emotions, and the audience knew that and that's why they loved her so much. And still do. Nothing is "put on" with her, but chances are it would be with anyone playing her. :(

The other thing to consider is that no matter how superlative an actress may be, how many out there today have the huge, larger than life personality that Doris had? It really does take a superstar to play a superstar (I know Doris hates that word, but it's true.)