Casting - The Doris Day Story

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Re: Casting - The Doris Day Story

Unread post by Johnny »

Perhapsthe brilliant Bazz Lurman who directed the outstanding musical Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman has what it takes to direct the Doris Day story. It is this kind of vision and brilliance that is needed to produce a quality film that will honour Doris Day on film.

Another thought would be to produce a documentary film that weaves Doris' film work and music into a work of art that would please her and her countless fans.

It is long overdue.

Johnny
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I just saw the film, She Out of My League with the actress Alice Eve. All through the film she strongly reminded me of Doris Day. Alice's blonde hair, blue eyes and especially her smile and vocie captured the essence of Doris. The character she played was so similar to the roles Doris played in her early movies. Alice is 28 years old and born in England.
If theThe Doris Day Story is made, this is the actress who would be perfect for the part.

Johnny
Johnny

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

What about Amy Adams? I just seen her in films, Julia and Julie and Leap Year, and in both films it struck me that she would be pefect to play Doris Day if there were to be a movie based on her life. She has similar looks and the romantic comedy touch! Her hair color most likely is truer to Doris's real color in her younger days. What do you all think?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I posted the same thing some time ago. Amy Adams is a charming, wonderful actress, and I believe she could do the job!
Like Irene Dunne done.

DoDobigfan
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by DoDobigfan »

What about Naomi Watts?

Priscilla

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Naomi Watts is an excellent choice to play Doris. She is a brilliant nuanced actor. In addition to a really talented actress to make a quality film it is imperitive that there is a more talented director. e.g. Clint Eastwood

The top three actors who are in the right age rnge and talent ability to portray the wonderful Doris Day are Naomi Watts, Charlize Theron and Alice Eve.

Johnny
Johnny

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bspnxdNYpA

I noticed Melinda Schneider made an album - Melinda does Doris.
I watched an interview on Australian radio ABC and listened her singing. She is a good singer and a sunny personality, she looks like Doris also. I believe that she could be the right choice for acting Doris in the life story.
Nada

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I suppose the problem with making a film about Doris' life is, firstly, we all know the story and, secondly, you could imagine certain parts being 'over dramatised' to make it 'more interesting'. Rather like "Love Me or Leave Me", great entertainment as it was, it wasn't strictly accurate - Ruth Etting said she never worked in a dance hall so that whole business of how she met Marty Snyder(Cagney) and "Ten Cents a Dance", etc, wasn't true.

I don't think that kind of treatment would be acceptable to fans and would probably have the same effect as some of the books that have been written about her. They would probably go overboard with Al Jordan and Marty Melcher, forgetting that, in Marty's case, that despite everything, Doris really loved him and stood by him until the end.

Maybe it's a case of 'be careful of what you wish for'?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

Bryan,

you are right about us fans, we would be maybe too critically on every detail and couldn't accept other look on her life, because we are too *involved* and know everything about her.
I'm not sure, if I want any movie now, but after years for people, who don't know her, it will be interesting to see a bitter - sweet life story of the legend as Doris. And as I see and hear Melinda Schneider I can imagine her in the role in that biography.
This is my opinion and reply to this topic - casting The Doris Day story.
Nada

webmaster

I think it's also unusual to make a film about movie star's lives - unless they die tragically like James Dean, or there is some shocking book written about them like "Mommie Dearest" - think of all the big stars from Doris' era, Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor, Katherine Hepburn, even the ones Doris starred with, Rock Hudson, Clark Gable, James Cagney, etc, none had films made about them, TV bios and documentaries yes but not cinema films.

I don't think Doris' life had enough drama in it to warrant a film, she had some unhappy relationships but that is true of many people - basically she was a very successful singer and actress and had a happy life, don't you think?

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Yes, for the most part, but she's definitely had a lot of hardships. The thing that gets me is that all Doris wanted was a happy family life, and she never had that. Sure, she had an amazing career, but she never found a husband who truly loved her, and then losing Terry at such a young age...it's so sad. She really has nobody left. To me, my family is everything - I can't imagine. Being that she claims that all she ever wanted was a happy family life and never got that, I'm not sure she's all that happy. She never liked the spotlight much, even though her career was beyond amazing and she enjoyed singing and acting.

I think there would be enough material for a movie. The stories about Al Jorden are dramatic and horrific anyways - they wouldn't have to over-dramatize those. But you're right - they probably would over-do it on Marty. Doris apparently did love him, but somehow I've never been too convinced. She had wanted to split up with him. I don't think he did what he did on purpose, but if they made a movie, I'm sure they would say that he did.

I would be most worried about how the movie would represent her life nowadays. I would be scared that they would try to over-dramatize it or make her current life seem terribly sad, a la the tabloids.

I think that a movie could be made, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the outcome. There have only been a few biographical movies that I've enjoyed, and they have mostly been about people whom I didn't previously know that much about. With anything that I've seen about someone I know well, I'm usually not happy with it. I'm sure that I wouldn't be happy with whoever would be playing Doris, and being that we all know so much about her, I don't think any of us would be happy with what they would do with the plotline.

So...umm, what was I trying to say in this rant, exactly? I guess I was trying to say that with Doris's life, I'm sure that there would be enough material for a movie, but I don't think the majority of us would be happy with it.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Personally I would like to see Doris' story dramatised.

Bryan- I do not agree that Doris had an ordinary life with nothing to tell. Is is not just the tragedies but the survival that need to be told.

Abuse at hands of first husband; deserted by the second; a massive career in music and films; struggling to be a good mother; number 1 box office star of all time; the music; the financial wipe out after Marty's death; the Manson connection .....

webmaster

I didn't say she had an ordinary life, Jas, I said that the problems she's had with relationships are true of many people and, you are right, she rose above them and moved on, as Terry said, she was good at that. She did it with her singing and acting career.

I suppose I feel the story has been told many times and each time it hardly changes. I think that her legacy is in her films and recordings and it is continuing today despite the fact that it's been more than half a century since she was a performer. Last week the Biography channel were promoting a selection of films for Valentine's Day and choose "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" as the music for it - that's an example of her legacy and I'm sure she would prefer that people remembered, for example, the joy of "Calamity Jane", the fun of "Pillow Talk", the sublime records, etc, rather than harping on about Al Jordan, etc.

The only film of her life that I would be happy with would be one that captured her joyful spirit and her great success in bringing that to the public - the sort of film I would make myself! :wink:

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

I don't think I would want to see a biographical film on Doris. It would only exacerbate the difficult times and events and ignore her strength and character. Her integrity is difficult to put into words or on the screen.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

I know this is not a clear picture,but I tried to get it better.My point is,who would have "dimples" like this nowadays to profile the atletic body of Doris?One could say,many, because they all work out and follow a diet.
The survival of this lovely actress and singer through all the hardship could be depicted in a movie on her life.Not as miss goodie two-shoe,but like "life is a bowl of cherries".A movie about the person Doris,leaving out dramatized non working marriages,a sprinkle,a hint,what she got through and still comes up with doing the DD-show 8 weeks after her husband left her in debts.How she retired gracefully without trying to impose she became a recluse.On the contrary,so much to be said about the DDAF.
Anyway,if only there would be the people to do that...
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

[email protected]

Unread post by [email protected] »

I am the one who just posted about the "Tribute" (Actual Impersonation) please see and read!! I had no idea about casting for the DD story. I am beyond elated. You have found what you are all talking about. A professional singer/dancer/actress (Yes, experienced in all) who has been a lifelong fan, I have been told my whole life that I look and sound just like her. I have her cheeks, her eyes, her voice, her shape, her vibrato (very important) her smile, her teeth. I am brunette but we all know how easy that is. I just found the wig I will be wearing for my Tribute to DD April 2nd. (the day before her 89th birthday) Please someone pass this on to the appropriate person. I invite you all to the show if you are in the Seattle Area. This is a very important forum topic. Not to often a unknown "Mystery Person" is found for a part that is sooooo perfect. I hope I do not come off as cocky or egotisical. I am a FAN, #1 and I have studied and impersonated her for over 40 years now. I am so certain and will do whatever it takes to make this happen. Please any help all you wonderful DD fans can give is greatly appreciated. Kristi King

[email protected]

Please see my post about tribute and the Movie Casting....Please

melancholy
Honorary Member

My goodness,what a surprise Kristi!!!!You have a radiant look and a wonderful voice!!!If only I would live in your neighbourhood,you could have counted me in...but I live in Belgium!!
Congrats with what you do,
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

melancholy
Honorary Member

this is great, good luck!!

[email protected]

Please forgive me I need to correct the birthday of Doris Day. On April 3rd she will only be 87 not 89. It has been confirmed by Doris herself that she was born in 24. Her mother lied about her age so that she could sing with the big bands back then. These are the facts. I am doing everything in my power to correct this everywhere I can. Thank you. Pass this truth around DD FANS

dorisday1924

Unread post by dorisday1924 »

It's OK Kristi, if you look at Wikipedia, yes there is a discrepancy, so there is no need to apologize. Remember, Doris Day is just like all of us, HUMAN. There is a huge controversy over her age, and many people have issues with it. So, please, be who you are and the BEST you can be and don't worry about "offending" any Doris Day fans. Trust your instincts.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

With Doris' birthday coming up on April 3rd it would be great if the Entertainment Tonight show would feature her in the birthday segment at the end of the show. She was born on the same day as Marlon Brando, Eddie Murphey, and Alec Baldwin. I have noticed in past years that only the younger or current stars are mentioned with little thought to the superstars like Doris from the past.

It was sad to see a small paragraph and a small pictue of Jane Russell on her passing on February 28th in our Toronto Star which is a major Canadian paper. It occured to me that the younger individuals who are reporting today have no real knowledge of the great entertainers from previous generations. There is more coverage given to Paris Hilton who unfortunately does not even begin to compare with the talent of Jane Russell or Doris Day.

I would like to see the entertainment field acknowledge Doris' singing and acting so the younger generation might have a great opportunty to get to know her work. What do you think of the show Glee doing some of Doris' songs like It's Magic, Sentimental Journey and Secret Love with maybe an updated twist?

It would be a great birthday tribute for Doris.
Johnny
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Johny

I agree in part with what you say.

However, Doris Day's 'star' has continued to shine remarkably strongly in comparison to many others of her era (including Jane Russell, whom I adore by the way, so I don't say that to criticise).

Doris' popularity (or following) today is amazing I think -particularly having regard to the fact she has not made a film in 40 plus years and has not recorded a [released] reocord in much the same period. This is all even more remarkable having regard to the fact there has been practically no effort on her part to self=publicise in this period either.

webmaster

Yes, you are right there, Jas, as always :), Doris is still amazingly popular today despite what some people think - you only have to search for her on the Internet - a good barometer of public interest - to see how much content about her is out there. Often I think her continued popularity must be very draining for her - all the fan mail and requests, I find it hard enough sometimes to answer all the emails I get about her as a fan site webmaster and that is trifling in comparison.

And, Johnny, Jane Russell got a good send-off over here with lots of news items and pieces about her career - she was a very sweet woman and a big player in the films of her time.

[email protected]

Oh Webmaster. I love this April in Paris poster. Wow. Fantastic. You all know about my Tribute show in Stanwood Wa. April 2nd right? Looks like it's getting alot of attention already. I will be interviewed about the show on national Radio this monday. Please check out my website and hope some of you will be able to spread the word about my interest in Playing Doris Day if and when the Movie/Casting begins. Thanks all. Great job all of you in what you do. http://www.kristiking.com