Casting - The Doris Day Story

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Casting - The Doris Day Story

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks DayDreamer (nice to see you posting again). I seem to dream a lot and they say that the best way to remember it is to tell someone straight away or write it down. Apparently you can learn a lot by analysing your dreams (search Google for analysing dreams). I tend to think that most dreams are your brain's way of working out whatever is on your mind at the moment but sometimes they seem to have no connection.

This morning I woke up and only remembered the tail end of one - I was trying to cut some bread for people on a slanted table and it became more difficult as I tried to cut it because the angle of the table kept increasing and I remember I was pressing it hard against the wood of the table and wondering how hygienic it was as I pressed harder (it was on a plate when I started). When I thought of it later, I wondered if it was to do with feelings of wanting to help people and give more and being frustrated by not having enough money to do it in a significant way. Rather like Doris has done for the animals. If you travel around London you meet so many homeless and desperate people it just makes you feel how unfair things are.

And also dreams are very associated with Doris in her work, "I'll See You in My Dreams", " My Dream is Yours", "Dream a Little Dream of Me", "Darn That Dream", "My Dreams are Getting Better All the The Time", and so on. (And of course you've chosen Day Dreamer as your user name!)

I have a friend who says she never dreams and I say 'Yes you do, everyone does, you just don't remember them'. Going a bit off-topic here but what the hell - it's only a dream!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Speaking of dreams, I love her album "I Have Dreamed." Wonderful orchestrations, and Dodo singing at her best.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Yes. I forgot that, Howard - almost my favourite album (there are so many) I feel dreamy just thinking about it and past memories of playing the LP as a young puppy! :)

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

howard wrote:Speaking of dreams, I love her album "I Have Dreamed." Wonderful orchestrations, and Dodo singing at her best.
i love this cd! periwinkle blue resonates in my head for days after, first checked this cd out at my local library!

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

After seeing her last night on Dancing with the Stars, I would vote for Katherine Jenkins.
She can definitely sing and it appears she can dance.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Oh Ellen - no!

Katherine Jenkins is a beautiful girl [very] and a great singer in her field - however, unless she could sing sultry like Doris - it would be a disaster!

I [personally] cannot stand classical singers trying to sing pop/jazz/ etc - for me, it just doesn't work- a case in point is Dame Kiri - singing Gershwin or some such - just does not work!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The more I see the actress Elizabeth Banks, the more I believe she could do a really brilliant job portraying Doris. She has Doris' smile and generates a relly happy persona. The big question is whether she can sing well. I think the brilliant Ryan Gosling would do an excellent job as shady husband Marty Melcher or as devoted son Terry.

Doris has such a great story to be told. I would like to see the genius Clint Eastwood direct the film. He knows Doris and lives in Carmel where Doris lives.
Johnny

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

NO ONE could ever match Doris' version of the title song. She did it to perfection.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

webmaster wrote:Just trying a shortcut, copying from my email - I can see it but obviously you can't. You should see this one - done the normal (longer!) way:

I see what you mean, Toby - touch of LMOLM there...

The more is see this pic, the more I think she is the one to play Doris!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

She most certainly should not sing- she ruined the song she [attempted] in the film "Shame."

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Think HOLOGRAPHIC FILM...this is a technology that is on the way...and it would probably be the best way to go.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Consideration should be given to Jessica Chastain for the role of Doris. Jessica is a chamelion-like actress as is Meryl Streep. Jessica's work in The Help as Celia Foote made her appear as the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe. She is such a versatile actress and so talented. She certainly stands out amongst the todays's current group of actors.
Johnny

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

I've been waiting to see that film, the help, just finished the book. i googled the actress who played the character of Celia Foote, and was disappointed that she wasn't what I had pictured her to be, i guess I had Michele Williams in mind... or at least someone younger, but I can't wait to see it, that's where good acting comes into play, where they can evoke the spirit of the character and your blown away that you forget your visualization, where the 2 characters the actor and the one being portrayed blur together.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

This is it, I thought to myself as I saw this picture today about retro-hairdo's.The eyes,the expression,just a split second.To keep this enthousiastic look going portraying our Doris would need a lot of work.But hearing her message on her website yesterday,why would it not be possible to make a movie?
I remember I did not like Jennifer Love Hewitt playing Audrey Hepburn,but I learned how she got out of World WarII allright,what she had to endure.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I believe it has to be a well known top notch actress to play this role - if eve made!

Re- singing or lip-syncing = I feel that as much as we fans would love to hear Doris singing - the reality is for a film to really work on all levels, it is more than likely the actress should sing the songs too - so we need a great actress and a great singer!

I am sure Ruth Etting fans had a lot of objections when Doris portrayed her and didn't mime to RE recordings.

As happened then, the positive thing is that a younger audience would see the film, hear the songs and [if they didn't already know] would want to hear the real thing.... -

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Amen! In addition to that, they could always include recordings of Doris in the film soundtrack

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

I agree and agree to disagree, i think it should be a top notch actress, not necessarily a famous one, an ingenue comes to mind, like Doris did in Romance on the High Seas, But a singer, most definetly. Also , though I haven't seen Shame, I heard one of the songs sung by Casey Mulligan and actually think she did a great job.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Toby_Martin wrote:
webmaster wrote:Just trying a shortcut, copying from my email - I can see it but obviously you can't. You should see this one - done the normal (longer!) way:

I see what you mean, Toby - touch of LMOLM there...

The more is see this pic, the more I think she is the one to play Doris!
She is Doris!

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I saw Charlize Theron in an interview recently and thought she has a dancer's bodyplus the warmth and graciousness of Doris Day. She also has a great sense of humour. I don't know if she can dance or sing but she is a brilliant actress and may do The Doris Day Story justice.

Before casting Doris' story there has to be a script that is classic and memorable. This would be the only way to honour Doris' work. The work of director Steve Mc Queen is brilliant.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Totally agree Johnny, have said that for a long time.

Doris' story would make a fabulous film - though it would involve things the die hards would not want to see -[e.g. the violence of Al Jordan] - I don't agree though - warts and all, it would be an amazing story -

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I can see her playing the role. She's one of the most beautiful actresses on screen today, and she certainly is talented!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I saw Elizabeth Banks have n a talk show this morning and thought of Doris. She is now an actor, producer and director and has been in show business since 1998.

I saw a photo and Elizabeth's appearance is very close to that of Doris'. I think she is a really strong candidate to play Doris if someone cared enough to produce a screenplay.

Another great actress that deserves to have her story told on the big screen is Susan Hayward.it is difficult to think of anyone today that looks like Susan with the talent to do the role justice.
Johnny

webmaster

She's more conventionally pretty, Doris was uniquely pretty! 8)

They tend to make these kind of star bios for TV, don't they? And they are not usually very good!

With Doris, I imagine it would be a rehash of all the main problems she's had in her life. But I'd still watch it! :)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris deserves a major motion picture, ( and nothing less), to tell her story with a strong screenplay, a major director, a talented star and a beautiful music soundtrack with Doris' songs.
She has a fascinating life story full of talent, music and drama.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I Still want Charlize Theron [??] spelling-to play DD - I can imagine how exquisite she would look in the black pencil skirts, stilettoes and d/a hair from Teacher's Pet.

I agree, Doris' story has to be done on the big screen with a unique twist/look = great production values, great stars, great sense of something uniquely different- as her book was.