What a Difference a Day made - The "ARTE" Documentary

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Theodomus
Honorary Member

What a Difference a Day made - The "ARTE" Documentary

Unread post by Theodomus »

Hey, it's finally to be aired!!

Remember the journalist from the European cultural channel "ARTE" who was in last years Magic 63 birthday broadcast?

I finally found the announcement in the ARTE programme:

What a Difference a Day made

To be aired in GERMANY on Tuesday, April 2, 2009 at 22:45 (10.45 p.m.)

Length: 90 minutes

Will be repeated on April 4, 2009 @ 00:40 a.m.

Director: Andrew Davies, André Schäfer
Camera: Bernd Meiners
Producer: FLORIANFILM Produktion

Doris Day, one of the most succesfull actresses in the historiy of Hollywood, is alive - Not everybody knows that. She lives in Carmel-by-the Sea, California... Miss Day,..., celebrates her 85th birthday on April 3, 2009. A portrait by Andrew Davies and André Schäfer

Though she hasn't shown herself in public for 30 years Doris Day is one of the cultural icons of the 20th and 21st century: Her films are repeatedly shown, she sells more albums today than during her active careers. Even young people know her songs: "Sentimental Journey",..., "Secret Love" from "Calamity Jane" and naturally "Que Sera" from Hitchcock's TMWKTM....

The film is a trace search: Who and where is the great Doris Day?

The answers are shown in her past...: In Cincinnati, New York, Los Angeles and the German province actors Peter Graves, Jackie Joseph and Noah Keen, Biographer Tom Santopietro, Doris Day-fans, childhood friends from Cincinnati and even distant relatives in Germany describe the career of a megastar and Doris Day's down-to-earth naturalness, which is reknown all over the world

And the whole world listens when the local radio station Magic 63 AM airs a Doris Day Tribute Show for her birthday every year and talks to her over the phone several times during the day for this occasion. The directors Andrew Davies and André Schäfer are there and stay at the Hotel of Lady Day, when her most loyal fans celebrate her birthday there - even without her.

Enriched with film sequences from her 39 movies and her tv show, archive material from the America of the 50s, 60s and 70s as well as pictures and private photographs a winking study of the fairy tale-like career of Doris Day, whose greatest wish was to be a simple housewife, is playfully put together bit by bit.

http://www.arte.tv/de/woche/244,broadca ... =2009.html
Translation by me

I unfortunately don't know, when or if it will be aired in the UK...
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: What a Difference a Day made - The "ARTE" Documentary

Unread post by webmaster »

Sounds really exciting, Marion! A German take on Doris should be very interesting, given Doris' German roots. They sound like 'fans' as well.

Thanks for translating it - interesting that they mention the Magic63 program - let's hope it goes ahead - and the Cyprus Inn gathering.

The thing that occurs to me is that it will be broadcast in German (it took a minute to sink in!), which would be very frustrating if you didn't understand the language - and yet it must be dubbed in parts as people like Jackie Joseph probably don't speak German.

Could you keep a look out to see if an English language version might be available at some time, Thanks,
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I know that many programms (if not all??) on ARTE are multilingual, as it is kind of a joint venture between Germany and France.

Here it says that they also work together with the BBC and other European stations:
http://www.arte.tv/de/alles-ueber/ARTE- ... 97470.html

Maybe the BBC will show it, too? Maybe check their programme?
Or can you get ARTE via satellite?

Anke promised she will record it and I am certain she will do it in English, if it is shown in that language here. If so, maybe she would send you a copy?
Marion

----------

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

That is so nice, Thanks for letting us know Marion. If we in the states dont get to see it maybe you can put some of it on here for us. :wink:
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I won't be able to record it, but Anke said, if it comes in English she'll gladly send a copy to Bryan. :-)
Marion

----------

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

And Bryan will gladly share it on here, won't he?

webmaster

Completely, Mike!

I've got another good one to share very soon - keep an eye on Videos & Documentaries.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Hi folks,
I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while :roll: :(
but I'll definitely tape that thing from ARTE next week and be glad to send it to anyone who wants it/can watch it - only problem will be that I will tape it in PAL and if its not in english - it'll be dubbed :roll:
Let's keep our fingers crossed :D
Anke

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I guess Anke means she will have to check if the english version is broadcasted here as well or if only the German (dubbed) version. ;)
Marion

----------

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

today the documentary was shown on Dutch television and it is a beautiful tribute to Doris.It captures fully who she is.The most important (to me) is that the recluse-gossip has no foot to stand on,it is showing wonderfully well that Doris is living "in heaven" (her words) in Carmel.Also, the fact that Doris truly is an icone and still loved all over the world.And certainly not forgotten.
I am sure we we will all be very proud seeing it.

Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

The thing is that ARTE programm usually shows its programms USUALLY in two languagues - one of them might be French cause its a french/german cooporation channel - yesterday the movie King Kong was shown only in french though - no German :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
But we still might have luck and its shown in english/german - we'll see it Thursday :mrgreen:
OH - and I'll tape it on DVD - I have a dvd recorder - so for all Europeans its easily watchable :D
Anke

webmaster

Thanks Anke. We'll do our best to sort it out between us - if we can - I was going to say I'd watch it in any language but then I thought it would be a bit frustrating if I could hear English in the background being drowned out by a language I didn't understand in the forground! :?

But as a European venture, I'm hoping that all European languages will be catered for - let's hope so.

Thanks to you all for keeping us up to date on this. 8)

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

A little note to say,that it's very confusing to hear a Dutch voice talking on the forground,interviews in German.But the most important thing is that the documentary is good.And it really is.To me it is astonishing how well they have captured Doris' life in such a small amount of time.
Anyway,whatever language I can only add that it is a true tribute.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

I've just seen the Dutch version and I liked it a lot.

Here is the webpage with it:
http://cultuurgids.avro.nl/front/detail ... eb90ab3f3f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope to see the ARTE's version on Saterday.

P

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi Bryan,

No there isn't.

P

webmaster

Ok, thanks Peter. Perhaps (perhaps, perhaps) that will come later. I'm sure it will.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hi there,

From the ARTE TV website:
ARTE SCHWERPUNKT
ZUM 85. GEBURTSTAG VON DORIS DAY
Mitternachtsspitzen (Midnight Lace)
Spielfilm • DO • 2.4. • 21.00 (Thursday April 2th at 21.00)
What a Difference a Day Made: Doris Day Superstar
Dokumentarfilm • DO • 2.4. • 22.45 (Thursday April 2th at 22.45)
Ein Pyjama für zwei (Lover Come Back)
Spielfilm • MO • 6.4. • 21.00 (Monday April 6the at 21.00)

Information:
http://www.arte.tv/de/suche/1383954,tem ... &bt_ok.y=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For translating there are a lot of translate programms around. I sometimes use:
http://www.elanlanguages.com/nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a Dutch site, but very simple. There are a lot of others.

P

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Well, it's just over and I really really liked it!

It was very different from the usual documentaries I have seen so far, one reason surely because of the many scenes they showed from last year's birthday broadcast, but also because they visited some of the heritage places in Germany.

Some minor mistakes like "Every film had a happy end" (What about Storm Warning?) but otherwise really nice.

Bryan, am I wrong or did you make this clip from TMWKTM where her performance is announced in the embassy and somebody changed her film name to her real name? They used that in the docu, quite funny. ;)

Oh, and it was unfortunately sent in German here - At least all the comments and some interviews were dubbed, others (like at the radio station) had subtitles. Only the film clips were shown in English, I assume so that the people would get a feel for her voice.

But there must be a way to get the English version?

They did show clips from many movies and I am sure that many viewers just discovered now how many films she has made...

Peter, what did you think?
Marion

----------

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Saw both version and do like them very much, if someone do want watch the dutch version, go to
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.ph ... 5d30778698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
click on the date 29-03-2009 and you will see the doucmentary.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

I just received the following via Google alert:
Doris Day Superstar' film limited to European audience

A new Doris Day documentary about her Cincinnati and German heritage might not ever be seen here - or anywhere else in the U.S.

A crew from Floranfilm GMBH in Cologne, Germany, came here in October to shoot parts of "Doris Day Superstar - What a Difference a Day Made," after The Enquirer's big story on the Cincinnati native and all-time female box-office star.

They interviewed Herb and Susie Rapp Reisenfeld, the eldest daughter of bandleader Barney Rapp and Ruby Wright Rapp. (Barney Rapp suggested young Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff change her name to Doris Day.)

The program shows places where Day's ancestors lived in Germany, Reisenfeld says. It also includes the producers' phone interview at a Monterey, Calif., radio station with the reclusive actress, talking about her German roots, Reisenfeld says.

"Doris Day Superstar" premiered last week for Day's birthday (April 3) in Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland, says Reisenfeld, Provident Travel group sales director.

"I don't think they will (show) the film in the U.S. because they said the cost to pay music fees are too expensive for a small company," he says.

Turner Classic Movies salutes Day with a double feature today, "April in Paris" (8 p.m., TCM) and "Starlift" (10 p.m.).
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 904050327/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marion

----------

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Thanks for the link, Puck. I just finished watching, and it was very well done. A couple of new film clips of DD, and it was good to hear (in English) the comments by Phillip Brown, Peter Graves, and all the others. Much of it was in German, which I don't understand, but still, it was entertaining. Thanks again.
Like Irene Dunne done.

fontella

Unread post by fontella »

Saw this yesterday on a Finnish tv channel YleTeema. It was interesting but too short! 50 minutes isn't long enough when talking about Doris Day.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."- Albert Schweitzer

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

They did a wonderful job! I think it's great that they put it on youtube. I found it so neat getting to see what the radio station looks like that they hold the DD Birthday Broadcast. :)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

Have they put it on YouTube? Can you post the link?

Meanwhile I'm removing the links as not many people seem to get past downloading Part One and you have to download all of them to get them to work.

Could someone test this greatly-reduced file sized version (33MB) and let me know if it's okay:

http://www.box.net/shared/fm8bxdl29q

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan

This give me the first 4 and a half minutes - perfectly. I really want to see the rest of it now, it looks great, some really good home footage.