Factor Video

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 3

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Mike,
That would be great if you hosted a Doris Day hour each week....what an awesome opportunity. If anyone can do it - YOU CAN! Let's face it, you first met her when you were only 7 or 8 - and that was a few years back...you have all those incredible clippings, scrap books, etc. What a collection.

Mike, please give it some serious thought - you can do it!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Yes, I agree. Please let us know dates and times.

Lauren

unadka
Forum Friend

Unread post by unadka »

I listen every day to FredNetRadio althoug I have so many her songs.Thanks, I'm waiting for the DD's hour with you too.
Nada

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

Yes, please have a DD hour! I listen to FredNetRadio all day while I do my school. I would very much enjoy a DD hour. :D :D
~Kimberly~

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

will let you know when....should be after the holidays.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

There is a Doris Day Documentary on the Biography Channel right now -- 8:00 Central Time. I was assuming it would then be on at 9:00 Eastern Time. As luck would have it I don't have the Bio Channel, even with expanded basic cable. Is anyone taping this and if so would they be able to make it available to we unfortunate non Biography Channel subscribers??? :(
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Oh, cool!!!! I'm going to check and see if I have it.
~Kimberly~

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

I don’t have it either! :cry: Oh, well my mom is recording it for me so I can watch it when I go home for Thanksgiving. :D
~Kimberly~

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I have it but I don't know how to put it up. If anyone could tell me how to put a DVD up on here, I will gladly do it.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

According to Steven Mumms website (dorisdaytribute.com), that biography is going to be updated this year. Can't wait. :lol:

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Really!!! That’s so exciting! I can’t wait!! :D :D
~Kimberly~

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

A central question in my bag of questions about Doris, is : "Why if she did not any longer have a personal relationship with Melcher, did she not just get a lawyer, have her possessions inventoried, divide the property somehow, and then divorce Melcher?"

Hollywood had the grip on them. Just like a person who wants a different job, but the boss wants something for letting you go. If you just leave, he runs you down. So you stay and then things just heat up. From Hollywood there is really no other place. You can only quit, or put up and stay.

The answer lies in the studio system that existed back then, and still exists, though to a lesser extent. If you crossed the system, you were blacklisted. Marty was part of the system, and his worth in that system depended totally on Doris. It was no accident that Rosenthal was connected to the system. Marty was responsible for promoting Rosenthal with other celebrities, and was blamed for doing so later(as was Doris). Getting rid of Rosenthal, was tantamount to jeopardizing your work in Hollywood.

It all started with people who booked musical talent in clubs. To be in, you signed on with them as a booking agent, and they gave you a bunch of engagements. The musical shows usually bussed people around, and Doris did this with the bands. This system became the core of the Hollywood system, and it was linked to the mob.

This system destroyed Marty totally, and ended Doris's career, more or less. Many people felt Doris was not to be held responsible for her husband's actions. If Doris had opportunities later and support from well wishers, she never felt comfortable actually returning. She accustomed herself to putting it behind her. Her TV stuff was done, because everyone accepted that a contract was a contract.

Biggest mistake Hollywood ever made - treating Doris like a marionette. Think of all the money they lost out on! She was a big part of a smart, snappy, feel-good modern Americana. I feel good still just looking at her picture. I felt like Marty - totally a wreck without Doris around someplace in plain view.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

mikeydv wrote:According to Steven Mumms website (dorisdaytribute.com), that biography is going to be updated this year. Can't wait. :lol:
Yes that does sound exciting . Cant wait to see it. Bill

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Hi Every one! Merry Christmas!!!! I just had to share what my sister and I got for Christmas! I got the record "Cuttin' Capers", 3 photos off her, 2 Magazines and all 5 "Doris Day show" seasons! I was screaming my head off when I got these! My little sister got: Doris Day paper dolls, the DD calendar ( I gave her that one! :) ) and 2 pictures of her! This was definitely our best Christmas! We just had to share with you all! Merry Christmas!!!
~Kimberly~

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Kimberly~
Those DD paper dolls are quite a collector's item!! My parents bought me those paper dolls back when I was in high school (early 60s) for my DD collection - not because I would have any intention of playing with them! I remember that it was a very large blue folder with a photo of Doris on the cover with flowers along the edges, I think.

When opened, there were "pockets" on each side with cardboard figures of Doris inside and plenty of paper clothes both dressy and casual to put on her figures.

I'm sad to say that I lost the entire thing over the years due to moving. You are fortunate to have yours. It's such a treasure.

Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Day&MacRae wrote:Hi Every one! Merry Christmas!!!! I just had to share what my sister and I got for Christmas! I got the record "Cuttin' Capers", 3 photos off her, 2 Magazines and all 5 "Doris Day show" seasons! I was screaming my head off when I got these! My little sister got: Doris Day paper dolls, the DD calendar ( I gave her that one! :) ) and 2 pictures of her! This was definitely our best Christmas! We just had to share with you all! Merry Christmas!!!
Those are great presents!! Enjoy the TV show seasons! They are wonderful and so fun! :)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Wow, Kimberly!! What great presents! Enjoy them! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Diane said:There is a Doris Day Documentary on the Biography Channel right now -- 8:00 Central Time. I was assuming it would then be on at 9:00 Eastern Time. As luck would have it I don't have the Bio Channel, even with expanded basic cable. Is anyone taping this and if so would they be able to make it available to we unfortunate non Biography Channel subscribers???
I put it online in sections here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2711

You can't download but you can listen to it - will try and make it available for download.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I caught a bit of the Alan Carr radio 2 show tonight and they played Que Sera Sera and then he and Gabby Roslin had a nice chat about Doris Day and her underrated talent.

Nice to hear this as the audience for this show is 20/30 something average and both Alan and Gabby stated what a great singer and actress D Day was and how beautiful she was and what a fashion plate she was, as I said, nice to hear and it promted me to e-mail- only Doris gets me to e-mail any kind of show/ forum!

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Kimberly~
Those DD paper dolls are quite a collector's item!! My parents bought me those paper dolls back when I was in high school (early 60s) for my DD collection - not because I would have any intention of playing with them! I remember that it was a very large blue folder with a photo of Doris on the cover with flowers along the edges, I think.

When opened, there were "pockets" on each side with cardboard figures of Doris inside and plenty of paper clothes both dressy and casual to put on her figures.

I'm sad to say that I lost the entire thing over the years due to moving. You are fortunate to have yours. It's such a treasure.

Lauren
Yes, they defiantly are! I have to say that I was a little jealous she got them! But I got an awesome record so that’s ok. But yes, I told her to be very careful with them. She wanted to sleep with them under her pillow, so she mad a photocopy of the outside so she could. I thought it was really cute! But that’s too bad that yours is gone! Hopefully it will turn up someday! :)
~Kimberly~

webmaster

Golden Globe Flashback:
At the Golden Globe Awards last night, Martin Scorsese won the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille award.
Back in 1989, Doris Day was the recipient. Already retired from acting for many years to devote her life to animal welfare work through the Doris Day Animal League and the Doris Day Animal Foundation, this is one of her rare appearances back in the Hollywood community as she reminisces about her long and successful acting career (and flirts with Clint Eastwood!). Film Hound - E. Mitchell at January 18, 2010.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Brian May [of rock band Queen] was Elaine Paige's guest on her radio 2 show yesterday as he chose his essential musicals. One of his choices was Secret Love and he said some wonderful things about Doris Day, the vocalist. He referred to her perfect pitch, the fact she was the BEST singer of her generation, how amazing her talent was, etc etc. Elaine Paige agreeed telling him, 'you're not alone...' - know we all this this to be fact, but it is wonderful to hear another professional wax lyrical about Miss Day.

webmaster

That was great to read, Jas, it's always touching when people in the business appreciate her and say things that express how you feel as a fan.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Jas~

Thanks for passing on the comments of Brian May. You have made my day when I read those compliments about Doris.

I always liked Queen especially the song "Barcelona" with Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Cabelle - what a knock out! You can listen to it on Sonza.com (search under song or either two singers). It's stunning!

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Lauren,
Anyone Worldwide can listen to BBC Radio 2 programes on-line for a week following the initial broadcast. Elaine Paige's is a nice show and anyone could listen to this up to next Sunday [9 Feb]. I'd urge you to listen, he talked for quite a bit about Doris, and as I said [above] it was all exceptionally complimentary and wonderful to hear.