Factor Video

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Factor Video

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I found this news video. It's the same old story but it's still nice to check out:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1116721/o ... _doris_day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

Doris Day: General Discussion 3

Unread post by webmaster »

Image Image Image

Just heard Doris singing "Que Sera, Sera" to advertise a new series on the Crime And Investigation Network, "Snapped Women Who Kill". Rather strange but effective to hear Doris singing 'whatever will be, will be' over images of women convicted of murder!

This is a week after "Keep Smilin'.. Let's Be Happy" being used to promote the Comedy Central Channel.
What's next - "Lucky Me" for the lottery? "Let's Fly Away" for British Airways? :wink:

PS. Please put your bits and pieces here rather than start a new topic - it will still be read.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 3

"In the UK music scene, the city of Glasgow is the stuff of legend. Considered by many to be a Mecca for discovering new talent, it possesses one of the most vibrant music scenes in the world... From this very cloth, there comes a new musical outfit called, Paper Planes... The band’s first single, ‘Doris Day’, to be released in October, is a catchy Rock-pop tune.."

Anyone see the connection? Or get it? :? I can make out 'Doris Day' but hard to hear the rest.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Bryan~
At nearly 65, I am way, way, way too old to understand the lyrics to this song. Give me the Beach Boys.

I was going to ask this forum if any of you youngsters could pick up any words about Doris but I'm glad you posted this as I don't have to do it. At the the song about Doris that Urban Tales (see my video) wrote and performed was mostly easy to understand.

Lauren

webmaster

Lauren, I don't think you are ever too old to do anything as long as your brain is still functioning and you can put one leg in front of the other. Look at Doris in her eighties and still sharp as a tack - so I don't want anyone copping out behind their age on here. :wink:

They said the same thing about Jazz and every form of music - what about when Doris was making records like "The Booglie Wooglie Piggy with the Oink Oink"? My only problem with the above 'tune' is that the lyrics seem muffled - my hearing is nigh perfect so I don't think it's me. You could always hear what Doris was singing about - and yes, the Beach Boys too.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Wow, I have no idea what they're saying... :?

I can only make out a few lines....and this could be totally wrong... :?

We dropped in
On a dark night
When we got there
We were nowhere
And we could never have enough
And we could never have too much
Waiting for it to open up
So we could catch a glimpse of the flooding
??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ???
The runaways run
Right through the center
We are all pretending
That we are nowhere
And we could never have enough
And we could never have too much
Waiting for it to open up
So we could catch a glimpse of ????
??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ???
?????
??? doesn't seem to mind her voice
Give credit with
Money can't take me ????
??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ???
??? it's all right
??? ??? ??? ???
DORIS DAY
??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ???

If those are actually the words what does it have to do with Doris Day?? Besides that, what does it mean? :? :? :?
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Weird. I couldn't stand to listen to the whole thing!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

That's what I got out of it Nikki.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

Would anyone be interested in doing a bit of a film club thing with me - watching all of Doris's films, from Romance on the High Sea through to the final series of the tv show, in chronological order? I was thinking of watching each film/episode on a given date and then maybe discussing them with people here. Anyone interested??
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

That sounds good. I wouldn't be able to do every movie and tv series since I don't own them all, and my grandma has some. But I'd be willing to participate with the ones I have access to.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Great! What's the earliest film that you have? Do you have Romance on the High Seas?? We could maybe watch it over the weekend and then discuss it back here - in the ROTHS thread - on Sunday night??

Anyone else interested?
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Sure, I'd be interested! I don't own them all, but like Megan said, I'll join in on the ones that I do have. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Yes, I have Romance. I'll watch it!!
Megan
-----------------

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

I've seen all 39 movies. I'd like to pop in from time to time. ROTHS is one of my favorites.

Lauren

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Great - the more the merrier! I'll get busy watching and then meet you over in the ROTHS thread on Sunday. :)
Michele

Ginger Rogers

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

Hi every one,
Sorry to bud in, but my host parent thinks that Doris dated Burt Reynolds when she was older. She said she doesn’t know who it was exactly but she new she was a lot older when she did. Wasn’t she married to Marty when she was older? I have no idea. Dose any one no if that’s true?
Kimberly

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Hey Michele,
Is it to late to join the film club thing?? I don’t have all the movies either. But I can pick up on the ones I do have. Have you already finished it?

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Hi Kimberly, it's not too late at all! In fact, it's gone midnight here and I've only just finished watching ROTHS, so I'm going to post my thoughts tomorrow now. So, yes, join in! :D
Michele

Ginger Rogers

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Really great! I actually just finished watching ROTHS with my little sister! So that’s great! Thanks Mechele! :D

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Kimberly~
It might help to do some basic reading about Doris Day. You can find that at Wikipedia ~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Day

Or you can purchase Doris' book "Doris Day - Her Own Story" through Amazon.com in the books sections.

No, she never dated Burt Reynolds - ever. She was married to Marty from 1951 until his death in 1968.

Lauren

webmaster

I had a lovely dream about Doris last night - she was kind of ageless in it as you sometimes are in dreams. I can't remember all of it, just a few bits, We were doing some washing-up together (!) and one of her albums came on from the room next door, I think it was "Day by Day" and I was saying to her that it was one of my favourites and I often played tracks from it at parties (true). We then went next door to the lounge and there were quite a few people there. Someone came over and gushed "Are you Doris Day?" to her in a very excited manner and she said "Yes, I am".

The next thing I remember is we were walking along slowly arm in arm and chatting away. I said, "Your birth certificate doesn't do you justice, you look about 25 - well, maybe 27, I added, with a laugh. She laughed too. We were talking about her film career and I said something like "The work you did in "Love Me or Leave Me" and "Midnight Lace"... I'd like to see you do something like that in a modern setting.. it wouldn't be a shock-horror film - more of a quality drama.."

It sort of went on like that, walking and talking and it felt very intimate - at one stage it got a little x-rated but I won't go into that! :oops: She really felt like someone I was very close to. I woke up and thought "Damn! I was enjoying that!" and tried to go back to sleep. For some reason I thought all the numbers on my phone were questions I could ask her and I was wondering how I'd explain when I phoned her that I was following up on a dream? Then I realised I was still waking up. :)

Oh, what a lovely dream!

webmaster

Nice story about Doris show:

"The inspiration for LipService's latest show came from a flagging party that suddenly livened up when someone put on a Doris Day CD and everyone started singing along. Day, now in her 80s and devoted to her dogs, has this effect on people. They tend to hear her tunes and say, "I didn't realise that was one of hers," followed by: "How come I seem to know all the words?" - The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/se ... ris-review

LipService in association with the Library Theatre presents
DESPERATE TO BE DORIS
23rd Sep 2009 – 3rd Oct 2009

"Tickets are selling fast for Desperate To Be Doris, the latest production from LipService, Manchester’s favourite theatrical spoofsters. This terrific and hilarious new show all about a wannabe Doris Day singer stars Bolton-born Darren Southworth, direct from the West End production of Spamalot, who plays Dean. By day, Dean is a buyer at a mail-order nightwear firm; by night, he sings like the great Doris Day. But when his local operatic society, Out of My Range, stages Calamity Jane, will he come alive?

Desperate To Be Doris features a specially recruited 50-strong choir who will regale the audience with Doris Day classics such as ‘Que Sera Sera’, ‘The Deadwood Stage’, and ‘Secret Love’. It is sure to be a riot of songs, laughter, not to mention a few tears!"
http://www.librarytheatre.com/whatson/w ... o-be-doris

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

Burt Reynolds dated Dinah Shore.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Yep, it was Dinah Shore that Burt Reynolds dated, not Doris. Someone in my office made that same mistake.

Bryan, aren't dreams fun? :D That show sounds great. I wish we had more of them in the states. :cry:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Ok, I didn’t think it was her but my host parent insisted it was. I’ll tell her it was Dinah Shore. Thanks for the answer! :D
That sounds like a great show Bryan! :D What a cool dream! I wish I had dreams like that.