Nellie Mckay - GOOD FOR DORIS!

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
howard
Special Contributer

Nellie Mckay - GOOD FOR DORIS!

Unread post by howard »

It seems like the new Nellie McKay album, "Normal as Blueberry Pie," a tribute to Doris Day, is opening up a new audience for Doris's singing. According to Amazon.com, her cd "Golden Girl" is number 655 on their best-sellers' list. That's the highest I've ever seen any cd of hers, excluding the Christmas album, to date. Wouldn't it be great if there were a resurgence of her music ... I can dream, can't I?
Like Irene Dunne done.

John M
Honorary Member

Re: Nellie Mckay - GOOD FOR DORIS!

Unread post by John M »

It may not be a dream Howard. This is exactly the kind of thing that can expose her catalogue to new and/or young listeners.

I've heard snippets of each song. It's fun. I'll probably get it.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks for the info, Howard.

I think Doris is influencing her in more ways than one. :wink: Check it out on her MySpace site:
"Even with birthdays separated by 60 years and 10 days, entertainers Nellie McKay and Doris Day are cut from the same cloth. The two share a passion for animal rights, a sunny gosh–gee–swell positivity and a love for the Great American Songbook—as well as a depth, complexity and progressivism that belies the toothy grins for which both are known."
http://www.myspace.com/nelliemckay
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

chele_belle
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by chele_belle »

I may just be being a sourpuss (I've had a bad day!), but I find her voice really nasally and can't listen to her for any length of time. I can appreciate that she may introduce a few new fans to Doris's music, but I'd much rather just listen to Doris sing the songs! lol
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers