the most important thing Doris Day has done

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

the most important thing Doris Day has done

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

http://www.helium.com/items/1126057-dor ... rtant-role

I came across this site at Helium where writers were given the topic of "The Most Important Thing Doris
Day Has Done" There were 9 entries that read with numbers 1, 3 and 5 being my favorites. Marcia Studleys is my personal favorite, as I feel she really gets Doris. The first entry was beautiful and the 3rd post made me laugh!

Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: the most important thing Doris Day has done

Unread post by webmaster »

Hi Toby, I tend to agree with the writer who said:
How can anyone narrow the spectacular, multi-decade career of this music, movie and TV superstar down to just one description: the most important thing Doris Day has done?
She's done an awful lot for us humans as well! :wink:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan, while you have a very valid point: I think all of us know what the lady herself would see as the most important thing she has done- and this involves thousands / millions? of 4-leggers!

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

The most important thing Doris had done is to be Doris!!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I think that the most important thing that Doris has done is that she remained true to herself . With Doris what you see is what you get .We as fans are so blessed that she has always givin 100 % in everything that she has done . When you always do the best you can, the effort you put forth makes "you " so unique that people love and appreciate that wonderful effort . We sure do love our Doris and the lovely and unique person that she is.
suzie

webmaster

Bryan, while you have a very valid point: I think all of us know what the lady herself would see as the most important thing she has done- and this involves thousands / millions? of 4-leggers!
I'm going to disagree with you here, Jaz - Mother Teresa probably has done more for humanity than Doris but I don't feel the same way about her.

I agree with Bixby, who said "The most important thing Doris had done is to be Doris!!" and with Suzie who said "The most important thing that Doris has done is that she remained true to herself" - same point but valid.

But Jaz, I love the fact that you engage and raise questions,

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I agree with you. Doris was a phenomenon. Although her movies had no important social message, her force of personality came across to the public, and her exposure was enormous. She made a large impact on the folk culture of the country. I see dolls people made that look like her. She helped to make the culture feel good about itself, as she exuded a sort of vitality, like going out to a dance on a Saturday night.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

Doris is a standout, because she has principles and stood by them. That is a attribute that is not very common in today's society especially Hollywood.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

That's right, and during the Reagan administration, she brought AIDS/STDS to people's attention. She helped to create a climate of caution, ignored by people like Farrah Fawcett unfortunately, who then had to make the long plane ride to Europe like Roy.

It reminds me of that episode in "That Touch of Mink", when Doris had something like white Herpes all over her face.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

I don't remember Doris saying anything about AIDS - only Elizabeth Taylor & Princess Diana.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

I was referring to Doris having Rock Hudson on her new TV Show, first episode, that showed Rock's deteriorated condition. Poor man. I still remember how he appeared, and then later desperately struggled to recover from a slow degenerative condition.

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

Yes, that was when no one knew much about aids and I love it when I heard it said, that Doris had Terry ask Rock to stay in her guest house and she would make chicken soup for 5 years if that is what it took to make him better. She is so egoless and never wants to talk about herself, but she sure knows how to give to others.

webmaster

I was referring to Doris having Rock Hudson on her new TV Show, first episode, that showed Rock's deteriorated condition.

But Doris didn't know about his illness when she invited him and was as shocked as everyone else.

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

Yes, but once he arrived, she wanted him to stay and offered to help nurse him back to health.

webmaster

Yes, of course, Doris is a very caring person - but it's not the same as "she brought AIDS/STDS to people's attention. She helped to create a climate of caution" - not that I remember anyway, maybe I missed it being in the UK.

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

I guess I just don't remember that.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

Here is Doris with Herpes :

I am not sure having Rock/Roy on her show, was the most important thing she ever did, but no doubt many people probably have been saved a similar fate because Doris brought this case to public notice.

dorisday1924

Unread post by dorisday1924 »

Bixby wrote:Doris is a standout, because she has principles and stood by them. That is a attribute that is not very common in today's society especially Hollywood.
I agree. Principles "define" the person and standing by them can often be an unpopular choice. This is why she has and continues to be an outstanding role model!

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

Bixby wrote:I guess I just don't remember that.
I understand what you were saying now, WOW, I guess I had a blonde moment. How difficult that whole situation had to be for her. It is so surprising that Rock accepted her invitation, but it seems as if he knew it would be "Good Bye". Once she saw him, she knew he wasn't up to it, but he was adamant about going through it, so as not to let down Dear Doris. They really thought a lot of each other.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan, I agree, Doris, as we know did not know Rock's condition when he did her show: however, what she did and what was signficant, is to tape the special tribute before the show aired (following Rock's death) - in her usual classic way, she didn't dwell on the illness, but she made it clear, this was her true true friend who had died and she loved him dearly. At this time, when Aids was taboo and people ran a mile, this taping was very significant.

webmaster

Well Doris and Rock were great buddies, weren't they? Not to mention being iconic Hollywood stars!
It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

I was touched by this photo of them holding hands on the set of Lover Come Back - hadn't seen that before:

And this one of Doris looking amused and Rock hung over!

But I think that the most important thing that Doris has done was to get born! :)

webmaster

I still don't think we should turn her into a saint, it feeds into that unreal image of her that people have, Miss Goody Two Shoes, The Girl Next Door, The Virgin, etc. Doris is not perfect, she is human like the rest of us. I like that about her! :)

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Yes Bryan...that is...the most important thing...and we are so fortunate to be here at the same time... so we can enjoy anything she does...

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I think the best thing(s) that Doris has done is to make people as well as four-leggers just a little bit happier in life.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:I think the best thing(s) that Doris has done is to make people as well as four-leggers just a little bit happier in life.
You are right...She has done it