Doris Remodels Home

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Doris Remodels Home

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

While standing in the checkout line at my grocery store, I noticed a magazine that showed pictures of Doris' newly redone house, gone is the natural wood look and in is the freshly painted spring yellow look. It also mentioned she had remodeled inside to bring it up to date, i didnt get a chance to read it, and i didn't buy it, i don't usually buy gossip mags especailly the globe or enquirer, but her beautiful face was on the cover , how could I not browse thru it while standing in line? :)

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Remodels Home

Unread post by daybyday08 »

When I met Nellie Mckay last week her mom was telling me about Doris's house painting. What magazine was it in? :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Actually the UK version of National Enquirer ran something similar and I didn't comment as it was the usual trash in the title, even though the text was in reality saying Doris had remodelled her home to ensure it is confortable and has provisions so that she can end her life there, no matter what. The article showed the before and after shots of Overlook which was nice to see but the title caption was the usual trash along the lines of -' Doris Day remodels home to die' [or some such] and as we know from the recent birthday show, this is a long way off!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

A Message From Doris Day
April 14, 2010

My Dear Friends,

Thanks so much for your concern after the most recent tabloid silliness. Please don’t worry. All is good. You know they’re just using my name to sell papers.

People ask me how I am able to constantly put up with this. You know what I say. I always take a good look to see if they took a good picture. They didn’t…again. Just hang in with me. You know me, and I think I know just about all of you; and I know we’re going to be A-OK.

Remember, if the tabloids wrote the truth — that my life is great and I’m fine – they’d be out of business.

All the best,

Doris Day

P.S. Thanks for caring. I really appreciate it.

http://ddaf.org/dd/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Someone pointed out to me that this story was about the Globe headline "Doris Day Prepares To Die" and I said to them that there is nothing unusual about a person making plans for what happens when they die, it would be strange if they didn't. It's not really a story but rather as Doris said, they are using her name to sell the magazine and if the tabloids wrote the truth — that her life is great and she's fine – they’d be out of business.

A friend said to me that she was worried about her grandmother who's been ill for the past couple of months. I asked how old she was and she replied "102". So that kind of puts it in perspective. I'm fascinated by the Egyptians - they spent most of their lives preparing for death. Death is part of life and in some ways to be embraced.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan - I agree, if this is so, Doris is being very sensible - and very lucky to be in the position to do so. Yes, the article wouldn't sell by telling the truth with the headline -'Legend Doris Day (in great health) remodels home to make it confortable for when the inevitable time comes' -!!!!! [as it does us all].

Yes Bryan, the wake - we still have them and they are great - sounds strange to say that but they are - a celebration of a life! Even stranger to state, but when both my parents died, we [the family/ extended family and friends] had some of the best times over those few days - after the death and the before the funeral- it is after that, that the shock and all the entertaining subsides, when of course, the grief comes - but long live the wake- that too is a good title for a play or something!

webmaster

Yes Bryan, the wake - we still have them and they are great - sounds strange to say that but they are - a celebration of a life!
Thanks for that, Jas, I edited my post to remove my comments about the wake - I thought I might be dwelling on death too much - a bit of a taboo subject - in some ways I dread it - a bit like a trip to the dentist - in other ways I welcome the inevitable (all the best people are dead!) - my fantasy is that there will be a Doris Day forum group on the other side and we'll all meet up and meet our heroine as well. I just hope there are dogs in heaven, otherwise Doris is going to give God a very hard time. :)

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

I came across an article here in Belgium about Doris remodeling her home.I will post it later eventhough it is in Flemish.A positive article of how Doris handles her aging.She wants to grow old in her own (renewed) home and that is the reason she remodeled it.In most countries elderly people"dissapear" into a retirement-home,and bless her,she can allow herself to have a comfortable way of dealing with aging (at this age of 86).I had friends who stayed at home up until their 90's and have private healthcare.That is so serene.Strangely enough I feel very bad about these "homes" for the elderly,a place for death to come and get you...In Egyptian times they of course thought there was life after death,we don't know,do we....so we might all meet later as you say Bryan!
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Dorine and Bryan-

I really do like to think [as Doris said when Rock died]- 'life is eternal' - I find that very conforting and death has never frightened me- just the way one may die, not death itself - oh, and there is still so much I want to do, so obviously I don't want to go yet!

As my father always said about death - 'that is the one thing we are all sure of, no matter what class or creed' - and that is so true!

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

All I know is that I admire her for her spunk and positive outlook on life. She has always taken care of her self and continues to do so. Remodeling her house is just another sign of her zealous for life. Her house is afterall, 30 years old now, I am sure updating was necessary and actually overdo since part of the roof caved in. She is an inspiration!!

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I have tried to blow a bubble with my gum. I saw Doris doing it, in a photo. She had a good one there.
So I got myself my bazooka gum, and so far Doris has me beat. The largest so far, I have been able to blow, is about 1.5 inches in diameter. Gum is not what it used to be. You need about three packages to make sensible bubbles these days.

It's a neat activity - like telling the world you do not care for its troubles. I am just blowing bubbles. Que sera sera.

I might switch to Double Bubble.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

melancholy
Honorary Member

I guess we all care in our way,how Doris is doing.We remember her talking about "men making noise on the roof" last year during her talk on Magic 63.And about things to be done about the house.So it looks very springlike to me.She is alive and kicking,right?That is the main thing.I do not in any case feel strange talking about death,of course the tabloids exploid her name.But as in "life is a bowl of cherries" is is depicted beautiffully,we are on a short journey,so let's make the best of it!
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

You right Dorine, She is alive and annoying live and that is all what matters. And she is busy, respect for that,
there some people of her age who doing totality nothing.

By the way where did you found that Dutch article ?

melancholy
Honorary Member

The article was found in a tv-magazine.It is a great,it shows everybody Doris "is out there"!!!People can think what they want,we are happy that is doing so well.
Dorine

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I agree with some of the other posts the practicality of preparing for your later years and what comes with that.. that being said, although I prefer the weathered wood look myself, I love what she's done to the place, in Doris Day Daffodil Yellow! (and painted wood helps preserve it, so once again, she's being practical!) I remember one of her famous quotes, better to please the fanny than the eye! hehe ..

I believe the article at the checkout counter was the Globe, or the Glob,as I like to refer to it, as its mostly all a glob of lies or misrepresentation of the acutal truths. Doris is right, if the headlines were the actual truths, it wouldn't catch the eyes of the tabloid readers unfortunately but what i hate about it, people accept it as the truth, even if they don't buy the rag! I remember one of my friends saying how sad it was about Doris, mainly cos of a headline from one of these magazines. Sensationalism sells sadly, no more so than in the USA and the UK!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I'm glad that Doris is keeping such a positive attitude about the nasty tabloids. I saw that article at the checkout also and cringed - I hate their exaggerations. It's so nice to hear from Doris in her response. Thank you for the picture, Dorine...her house looks wonderful!
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

This just proves again how manipulative the tabloids are. My partner and I visited Carmel back in December 2008 and she had already repainted her house at that point. In fact, construction was already underway on all of the repair work then, so this is old news by now. Clearly, the tabloids chose to publish this around the time of her birthday to scare a few people into believing something tragic was about to happen.

I think most people see right through this and ignore it. Kudos to Doris for rising above the trash and we should too.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

"I think most people see right through this and ignore it. Kudos to Doris for rising above the trash and we should too." ~~Michael

Very well said, Michael!! I don't even take a second glance at the headlines in those trashy, fit-for-the-garbage-can, tabloids! I prefer to fill my mind with positive, beautiful things (Doris being one of them!! :))

It amuses me that people think Doris is being morbid and crazy for supposedly "preparing her home for her final years"! Do these people also think that those who buy life insurance/caregiver insurance are morbid and crazy for preparing for their final years???? I guess it's the ole "double standard" rearing its ugly head again. Some people are just stupid (there's no other word for it!!). Anything to sell a magazine!!

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

She is just so happy and enjoying life and I think anyone that could write such trash is just jealous.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Bixby wrote:She is just so happy and enjoying life and I think anyone that could write such trash is just jealous.
Notice how these tabloids neglect to mention that DD is still very much active with the Animal Foundation and takes a lively interest in responding to her fan mail.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

BTW - that's a very nice house she owns.
Big spacious porch all around and the place looks very much a part of Carmel and fits in well with the setting.