Doris Day deserves an Oscar

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Heathcliff

Doris Day should receive a special Oscar...check out

Unread post by Heathcliff »

No More Que Será Será: Give Day Her Due
She made the annual exhibitors’ poll of Top 10 box office stars eight years in a row, and in four of those she held the No. 1 position. She excelled in frothy light comedies that people in the awards business don’t pay much attention to, though these kinds of pictures are often at the heart of why so many people go to the movies.

She is Doris Day, and there is no one more deserving of a special Oscar.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/movie ... 10day.html

You can leave a comment on the site.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day should receive a special Oscar...check out

Unread post by jmichael »

Well, it always warms my heart when I see yet another influential source going to bat for Doris. More importantly, this is a respected film maker who "gets it" when it comes to the unique gifts Doris possessed on screen. Thank God the world has not quite become so cynical and crude that people no longer recognize what she represented to the world.

Now, I personally don't think there's much chance that Doris would participate if the Academy ever comes through on this. She seems "done" with all facets of public exposure. Maybe they will figure something out but I don't hold much hope that Doris will appear on stage to accept it. Too little, too late IMO>

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

My heart is leaping with JOY!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I cherished every word!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

That was a great article! :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

That guy knows a great talent when he see's it :D

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

If the Academy is up to its old tricks, it won't matter. They have a deaf ear when it comes to honoring our girl. I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but I will not hold my breath.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

I did a little calculation. The Oscar Statuette should weight approx. 21 pounds if made out of pure gold (weighs 1200 lbs/cubic foot). That would be worth about 36,000 dollars, so ... yawn.

And then consider it is only plate, and actually is cast out of pewter. Well......

I guess it is better than the plaster Oscars they gave out during WWII.

Too bad Doris's uncle is still not around to pull for her.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

The blend of light comedy, and class that Doris represents does not resonate much with today's culture. It is absent. There is nothing like it around, and if it did resonate, you would find it. Today you have things like "Keeping Up Appearances", and even that has become classical. Affectionados of Doris are captivated by the woman's charm, warmth, and vitality, and I am no exception. She should obtain an Oscar for being captivating, charming, and somehow familiar; and a beloved public personage. She rivals the likes of Marilyn Monroe as a film presence, but it is unlikely that Marilyn would obtain an Oscar today, if she had publically disappeared instead of dying.

Although she appears in the annals of Hollywood, the Nicholsen crowd, just has always considered the Doris type too sedate, too detached, and disrespectful of the Horned rimmed, racy, retro Hollywood crowd.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

gerard

Unread post by gerard »

I heard Doris filmed an academy acceptance back when Rex Reed was pushing for an Oscar. Has anyone ever seen it? I wonder if we shall ever see it.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

New York Times Jan 10th issue talks about Doris & Oscars

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Just a note to tell you that the NY TIMES (January 10, 2010) has a wonderful article about the Oscars and tells why Doris should get an Oscar - check it out for yourselves...great story. You can google the story.
"The BEST is yet to come."

melancholy
Honorary Member

Re: New York Times Jan 10th issue talks about Doris & Oscars

Unread post by melancholy »

All the comments are great to read.She is so loved and absolutely not forgotten.Pity it is so late,otherwise we could all have cried with joy to see Doris accepting her well-deserved Oscar.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Great article but we've been here before, haven't we? Hasn't Doris turned it down because she doesn't want to travel or make public appearances?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Sure,it is way too late.Plea's for Doris whilst she has been out of filmmaking for such a long time.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

webmaster

There have been a number of reactions to this story in the media - I was left confused as to whether Doris has actually been nominated or not?

The Independent Eye says (When the Honorary Oscar was cool by Vadim Rizov on 01/11/2010):
This year's awardees -- Day, cinematographer Gordon Willis and producer/director Roger Corman -- are all unquestionably worthy, but they're all also giants whose best work was done long ago. The Academy no longer seems to feel comfortable singling out someone of the present for contributions, because they're not sure what will last. They're predictable now, but they're also safe.
http://www.ifc.com/blogs/indie-eye/2010 ... -oscar.php

The Odds, (Good Morning, Oscar: January 11 2010) comments:
In The New York Times, Douglas McGrath makes a case for awarding an honorary Oscar to Doris Day, “whose enrapturing screen presence has brought bliss to an uncountable mass of movie lovers.” His timing is a bit off, though: the Oscar nominations may be announced in three weeks, with the telecast two months off, but the honorary awards were voted upon by the Academy governors back in September, and handed out at the Governors Awards ceremony in November. If he’s looking to lobby the folks who could honor Ms. Day, he ought to have saved his argument for seven or eight months.
http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/good- ... y-11-12773

Easier to understand was Taking a Second Look... (but don't know why he needed a Times article to admit he is a fan!):
Free at last...free at last....thank God, free at last! I can now admit I have been a closet Doris Day fan for years. The NY Times Sunday feature on Doris & Oscar has freed me to say this in public. Doris was the finest studio singer & film entertainer of her time.

Look, lets just get it all out there. She was the only star to whom I ever wrote a fan letter. Did she answer and what did she say...? That's still in the closet...!
http://takingasecondlook.blogspot.com/2 ... rling.html

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Gerard said:

"I heard Doris filmed an academy acceptance back when Rex Reed was pushing for an Oscar. Has anyone ever seen it? I wonder if we shall ever see it."

I was intrigued, so I got in touch with biographer David Kaufman who is a friend of Rex Reed. His reply:

"I've never heard anything about her recording an acceptance speech, and I believe it's absolutely false information--it simply doesn't match everything else we know about DD and her ongoing attitude to accepting any award...."
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Doris Day: Yes, it’s high time she had a special Oscar
In today’s New York Times, director Douglas McGrath editorializes that Doris Day deserves a special Academy Award.

It’s a stirring defense of this oft-maligned actress. But I think that McGrath misses one of Day’s greatest achievements on film: Her musical contributions. Think of the songs that Day made part of American culture. McGrath doesn’t mention “Calamity Jane.”

Ignoring Day would be like baseball’s Hall of Fame overlooking Stan Musial or Mickey Mantle (which the hall didn’t do). The academy gave a deserved special award to Lauren Bacall last year, but Day was more crucial to the movie industry and left a larger image in popular culture.

Two years ago, I wrote: It is high time for the academy to salute Doris Day with an honorary statuette. She remains the most popular actress in movie history. She was an underrated actress, nominated only once (for “Pillow Talk”). She was a superb singer who performed some of the best-remembered movie songs: “Secret Love,” “It’s Magic,” “I’ll Never Stop Loving You” and “Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera).”

And she created a stylish, independent figure — a figure that has often been derided unmercifully for being virginal. And that is a very limited reading of her image. Luckily, Day has gained a lot of defenders through the years, notably John Updike.

The academy should remind the public of Day’s importance to the movie industry. Why not have Julia Roberts hand Day the award?

And I would add today: Having Doris Day on this year’s Academy Awards would be another way to guarantee that older movie fans tune in. She was one of Hollywood’s most valuable players. She remains one of its timeless treasures.
Read comments from Howard, Paul, etc and comment yourself:
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... oscar.html

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Great Banner Bryan, love it !
Great article, but I think it is too late,I think she would not accept, because her animals are now her life.
The filmmaking is too long ago, but I'm agree she deserve a oscar.

webmaster

Thanks Puck - I love the far right pic of Doris using the phone on the set of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon".

As for the Oscar, when I read:
"The academy should remind the public of Day’s importance to the movie industry. Why not have Julia Roberts hand Day the award? And I would add today: Having Doris Day on this year’s Academy Awards would be another way to guarantee that older movie fans tune in."

I thought, the writer doesn't know her as well as we do - we know she wouldn't even consider it - BUT she still deserves it so they should have someone receive it on her behalf. I was reading elsewhere on here that Diane Keaton is a big fan so someone like her, or even Clint Eastwood - I'm sure there are many stars who would be willing so we should still campaign for her to be honoured.

TareeDawg

Unread post by TareeDawg »

There isn't anyone in the whole history of film making that can hold a candle to Doris Day. That she deserves a special Oscar, should she accept, goes without even thinking about it.

Ray, Taree
Ray Hall, Taree, NSW, OZ

webmaster

I found the comments below, from a short piece called "Doris Day - her most important contribution", very interesting in terms of our discussion and it reinforces my feeling that whether she receives an Academy Award or not is probably more important to us, her fans, than it is to her.

Doris, I think, is a very modest person who has never completely understood why people feel the way they do about her. Those who know her find her to be a very real and down-to-earth person, who lives in the present, who tends to dismiss her talents - saying she can't bare to watch her old films and has only selected a relatively small number of recordings that she is truly happy with. It's evident from her recent Magic63 birthday broadcasts that she finds all the affection felt towards her somewhat overwhelming. For those of us who have fallen under her spell, that makes her all the more appealing. Writer David Thomson, says "Somewhere down there, (in Carmel) tucked away, she lives with a quantity of four-legged animals, the objects of her affection. She doesn't do interviews; she isn't interested in her own legend."

However, I believe, she still cares very much about the work she has done - and is constantly reminded of it by the world's continued interest in her and by fans and admirers. But she is, first of all, a screen legend - there aren't too many left, an endangered species even - and an animal welfare advocate second - in the eyes of the world at least.
"I'm not just a fan of this remarkable thespian, but I have a tremendous respect and admiration for how she has chosen to spend these last decades. She laughs at the reports that she's a recluse and a hermit, the media not understanding that the serenity she gets from living in the small yet beautiful community of Carmel by the Sea is worth more to her than a critic praising her for a dramatic appearance in film. Nor do they understand that the time she spends there, working on various animal causes and just being with her animals, is one of deeper meaning than being nominated for an acting or singing award.

Doris' love for animals began as a teenager, when she was in a car accident that left her on crutches for almost a year. Her dog, Tiny, never left her side, providing her with an unsurpassed love and understanding that only a canine can do. She carried forward this love as her professional career soared. Even while filming her successful TV series in the early seventies, she was known to action upon seeing something she felt was wrong.

Doris is proud of her film success. She had a long and successful career, but her life has extended beyond the need for applause. Her deep compassion and loving devotion to animals has caused this icon to achieve wonderful successes in animal rights. This is her most important role. It's the one that no Academy Award could ever surpass. I'm proud to call myself a fan of Doris Day, the actress. I'm even prouder to be able to say that she is a woman who has fought for what she believes in and has helped to make the animal kingdom a safer and better place for all the animals of the world."
http://www.bukisa.com/articles/103756_d ... ntribution

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 »

She is a truly remarkable woman. She is someone you would proudly have your children look up to. As an animal lover myself I was over the moon when I discovered what Doris Day has done to help animals. It's something I've always wanted to do but never managed to do because I can't afford it.

She does deserve a special oscar, she is a rare commodity in the movie and music industry. From what I've read so far about her she seems like the kind of person who stands up for what she believes in. IMO that is a good thing. And she seems like a kind and nice person to be around. Didn't seem like there was any prima donna about her :D

I am not scared to admit to anyone I love Doris Day :D It's a pity there aren't many actresses and singers like our Doris :)

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

I'm agree with you Bryan, the writer does't know her like we do, and beside that we do respect her, do have real feelings for her, we do love her.
I hope she get that special oscar, we have always wanted a oscar for her, but there in Hollywood, does' t know her like we do, they forgotten about her what she did as actress, I did never understand why she did't got a oscar for "Calamity Jane" or " love me or leave me" or " The man how knew too much" or " Pillow Talk".

Do love the pic from "by The light of the Silvery Moon".

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Doris should be honoured with a new Screen Legend Award at the Oscars along with a male counterpart (Rock Hudson). She does not need to attend, she can have someone accept on her behalf. It is a wonderful way to bring her work to the attention of a whole new generation of movie lovers. The Hollywood film community needs to honour a national tresure such as Doris Day in a international broadcast of the Academy Awards.

The Legend Award should only go (for now) to actors who were on screen in 1960 or prior. Think of Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift ,Steve Mc Queen, and James Dean who are also well deserving.

This award would honour the history of movies, give something new to Oscar viewers and raise the ratings. I hope someone is listening to the Oscar viewing audience. Doris Day deserves this award and so does her movie loving audience.

Johnny
Johnny

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Doris Day deserves an Oscar

Unread post by ellenarden »

Hello all,

It's been a while since I visited. I wanted to let you all know that I started a Facebook campaign to try to get Doris her much deserved Oscar. Please visit the page. It titled the same as the title of this topic.

Thanks
Ellenarden :D