Doris Day deserves an Oscar

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Doris Day deserves an Oscar

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I have a big feeling that she might get The Oscar this year. I'm so happy people are really advocating this. Let's hope she does without having to show up. :)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Something is puzzling me - perhaps someone here can shed some light on this topic !
DD certainly deserves an honorary OSCAR though she is within her rights to decline for the reasons that have been mentioned and posted before-------she will not travel to L.A. so that's that !
Now back in either the 1940's or 50's - the notoriously reclusive GRETA GARBO was in fact given an honorary OSCAR though of course she never showed up at the ceremony. OSCAR knew full well that Miss Garbo's policy was to never attend any public events - especially those dealing with Hollywood - still, she was given the award anyway.
Or could it be that back then one did not have to appear at the ceremony to be given the award and the rules have changed since then ?
Miss Day already has the GOLDEN GLOBE, a GRAMMY, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom - these are all very major awards so would the Oscar be an anti-climax ?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

True, TCM, she's been here before and why should she agree to dress up and get photographed by the world's press in her late eighties when she probably doesn't give a fig about it anyway - although I'm sure that if she was awarded anything further she would be touched and would express her (humble) and gracious thanks as she did when she was awarded The Presidential Medal of Freedom. Can you really top that with an Honorary Oscar?
(Yes, you bitches, give it to her! :) I think the Academy may be irritated because she isn't knocking on the door and showing them she really wants it. Who knows? I don't think it really matters.

I caught a clip of a documentary about Princess Diana earlier when she was told she could't keep the title of HRH and asked William and Harry if they minded and they said, "No, we love you anyway and it doesn't matter." (Although it was a bit spiteful of the 'royal family', especially given that Prince Charley had been the unfaithful one.) I think Doris knows she is loved and appreciated and I doubt if she even thinks about it - but, yes she deserves it.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Bryan I agree and I know that we (the fans and friends) likely care a lot more about this than Doris does. However, from an historical view point, I think it is very important Doris Day receives this award. The golden girl of the 1950s and 60s, the critics darling 1955-1962, the peoples' champion: always! Her career was so critically maligned for about 20 plus years from the mid 1960s, thankfully as the years go by that situation is changing more and more. The record has to be put straight!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I totally agree, Jas!
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Jas said it best. I'm completely in his court on this topic.

The Academy needs to the do the right think regardless of whether Doris will travel or not.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

"I'm off to join the Oscars, the wonderful Oscars of Oz...
Because, because, because, because, because....
- Because of the wonderful films I've done!" :)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Haha! That's cute. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I know how Doris feels - or at least it is totally understandable.
OSCAR did not do right by her. She was nominated only once for PILLOW TALK so there were other roles in which she should have been nominated. She was another major talent such as Garland, or Betty Grable or Alice Faye who were basically considered 'movie musical' stars and Oscar as a rule did not give these hard-working talents the credit they truly deserved. To be sure, there were singers that actually won Oscars - Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Streisand - but those were the exceptions rather than the rules. OK Rex Harrison won for MY FAIR LADY though it was a musical part - he certainly was not a singer ! Garland got a special Oscar for WIZARD OF OZ - was nominated for STAR IS BORN - did not get it - was nominated again for a straight dramatic part - JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG - did not get that one either.
Greta Garbo - who shunned the limelight - never went to a movie premiere and went out of her way to avoid the public - was actually given a special Oscar - of course, she never showed up in Hollywood to receive it. Did Oscar change the rules since then that a 'star' MUST actually go to the ceremony in order to get the award ? Would like some clarification on this matter.
Doris paid her dues. Worked very hard. Did many things in the cinema - sang, danced, drama, suspense, poignant scenes, splapstick, acrobatics, comic antics. et al. Her tribute is that her films surface on TCM - 'us' - 'the fans in the know' can tune in and watch and appreciate her splendid gifts. Perhaps the fact that she is so fondly esteemed is sufficient. She never loved HOLLYWOOD which really is not a particularly lovable place.........reason why she went to Carmel. She saw Hollywood up close and was not altogether very impressed. Sure she made some friends from those days - a few good things came from it.......but she probably feels whatever she had to say - she said totally said in her work. A special Oscar would just collect dust on her mantlepiece.
Several stars actually won Oscars - they had their many moments of fame - but a great many of them did not find happy lives even with the golden statuette. Doris' Oscars are her pets and her Animal Foundation. Her Oscars are this wonderful website with its visitors who are intelligent enough to recognize a good entertainer and to freely state themselves and not to be taken in with some latest 'fad' - people who are highly appreciative of true talent. Plain and simple.
I don't know - its just me - but is OSCAR all that its cracked up to be ? OK - it goes into the Almanacs but how many people truly recall who won last year ? Do many people have the time save for the Film Historians ?