Small Talk: General Discussion 2

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Small Talk: General Discussion 2

Unread post by webmaster »

Please use this thread rather than start a topic, unless it warrants it.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Donna

Re: Small Talk: General Discussion 2

Unread post by Donna »

Ive just saw a photo on the site of Clint Eastwood with his first wife Maggie and its thought to be our Doris but isnt.. she does look like her in that photo but when you see her face on she cant compare to our lovely lady.. :)

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

I just started watching the first season of "That Girl" and Doris' little Jackie Joseph appeared. She looks just the same as she did on Doris' series. I guess this is 1966 which would be only 5 years before she appeared with Doris, but anyway it was a nice surprise.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

HAPPY HEALTHY 2011 TO ALL !
Hoping the new year brings lots of happiness to all the DD fans and of course to Doris herself !
I recently adopted a beautiful kitty cat from the Humane Society and she is a total delight ! Very beautiful and with a most interesting design--black and white-----but rather difficult to describe here. She is also highly intelligent, energetic, and entertaining----Doris would definitely approve ! In fact, a few weeks ago I sent a photo of the kitten plus a letter to Doris though through the years she has received numerous photographs of people's pets---enough to plaster all the walls of her Carmel home.
Perhaps I will hear from her----perhaps not--------but at least she knows I am trying to do my part when it comes to the animals !
Cheers !

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Good luck with the new baby TCM - they bring so much joy to our lives, don't they? Yes, Doris would approve most certainly!

webmaster

Calamity Jane remake?

Commenting on the successful remake of the John Wayne western, "True Grit", which apparently made $100 million in the US in its first weeks of release - the Irish Times asks how would other remakes of western classics fare in today’s market and who would star and direct?

Here's its suggestion for "Calamity Jane":

Image Image
Anne Hathaway as Calamity Jane and George Clooney and Wild Bill?
CALAMITY JANE

"Musicals, especially innocent ones like Calamity Jane , are pretty thin on the ground these days, so there aren’t many actresses who could fill in for Doris Day. Anne Hathaway would work. She can sing, and butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth (she still seems innocent, no matter how many times she appears nude in film). And who better to play Wild Bill than the middle-aged, roguish, gorgeous George Clooney? Baz Luhrmann, probably the only visionary director today who makes musicals, could take the reigns."
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 46981.html

What do you think?

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Oh no! I couldn't see that at all! I really do like George Clooney and Anne Hathaway - I think they're fantastic actors, but I don't think that this project would suit them at all. I think I'd have a hard time liking a remake, anyways, but still, they just seem like an odd pair to choose. If they did do a remake, they should cast some Broadway stars or something - I'm sure there's somebody there who could pull it off, though I can't think of someone right now. I just don't think Anne could be a convincing Calamity.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I'm with you on this one, Pillowtalk :)

Once I've seen/heard Doris in something, I just can't warm up to anyone else doing it. I know there are some very talented artists out there who are doing Doris Day Tributes, etc., but I just am not interested in listening. Doris is, in my opinion, the BEST--and no one will ever compare to her :)

Just my two-cents' worth! LOL

I hope you're all having a lovely "Day"!

God Bless,
Rachel

webmaster

Thanks for those comments - I think that "Calamity Jane" is very much of its time; the 1950s, when that kind of musical was popular. I doubt if the young crowd who make up the bulk of cinemagoers today would be interested in hearing "The Deadwood Stage", "The Black Hills of Dakota", etc (Maybe "Secret Love" would survive).

There's an innocence about "Calamity Jane" that we've lost and I'm sure that any remake would involve more sex and violence and far less music - and of course none of the great cast who made the original would be in it - so why bother?

I could see a remake of "Love Me or Leave Me" - it's a great part for an actress/singer, not to mention the Cagney role for an actor.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I don't understand why people keep wanting to make remakes. I think it would be far better if a whole new musical was created for movies. It happens at least sometimes on Broadway. I would really love to see that. A movie with new songs and new actors. It's just my opinion but I feel that people are not being creative enough and aren't coming up with new screenplays and ideas. Instead of redoing a Star is Born for the 4th time they should make a whole new musical.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

Well, Dominique, you can have new ones:

(Brilliant, I thought.)

AND remakes! Tim Burton is remaking:

If something is good, does it matter? :wink:

TCMMovieFan

daybyday08 wrote:I don't understand why people keep wanting to make remakes. I think it would be far better if a whole new musical was created for movies. It happens at least sometimes on Broadway. I would really love to see that. A movie with new songs and new actors. It's just my opinion but I feel that people are not being creative enough and aren't coming up with new screenplays and ideas. Instead of redoing a Star is Born for the 4th time they should make a whole new musical.
Agreed ! I am not a fan of remakes ! NO WAY - JOSE ! Please pardon the shouting !
Most of the remakes have been pretty shoddy stuff---be it Hollywood, B'way, or the Highway !
Miracle on 34 th St of 1994 was a crashing bore ! Dylan McDermott is no John Payne and the actress was definitely not Maureen O'Hara-----the whole thing dragged on interminably !
State Fair of 1962 made me puke ! Dull beyond words. Poor Alice Faye---what happened to her voice ?! Bobby Darin was a fine entertainer but in that movie was totally miscast.
I'm sure there have been others.....but I don't wish to provide a long list.
B'way musicals-------BELLS ARE RINGING minus Judy Holliday does not work.
I think the movie musical era has passed for good. Who can really sing well ? I had hopes for Michael Bubble but he has changed his style.....if it ain't broke then don't fix it ! There's another talented Canadian - Matt Dusk who has potential.......but would Hollywood be interested in him ?! As for the females we have not a Garland or a Doris Day or Vivian Blaine...not to mention a Betty Grable, Eleanor Powell, Ann Miller et al.

webmaster

I can't argue with that, TCM, I agree that most remakes are often (usually) not a patch on the original. I'm thinking of "A Star is Born" with Barbra Streisand (third version), and, more recently, the terrible remakes of "St Trinian's" and "The Lady Killers".

I just read that "Clint Eastwood is planning a remake of "A Star Is Born", with Beyonce Knowles in the role previously played by Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland and Janet Gaynor"...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... -role.html

It's probably that the original stars made the characters their own and it's hard to see anyone else playing that part, as with Doris in "Calamity Jane".

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, there have been successful remakes, including one from Doris, "The Man Who Knew Too Much". :wink:

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

Beyonce in "A Star is Born?" :shock: I mean, I admire Beyonce and her music, but don't you think that they should leave well enough alone? This would be the FOURTH remake. Ack! I like Judy's the best, and that was a remake, but it was still in the golden era, if you know what I mean.

I think that remakes nowadays tend to take all the magic out of the movies. They modernize everything to the point that it becomes a travesty to the original, and it's a shame.

Somebody should write a new musical script for Beyonce - one that has great original songs and a NEW plot. I'd go to see that!

Like you said, not *all* remakes are bad. But when you get to the point that you have to remake a movie for the FOURTH time, I think it's time to be creative and write something fresh.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree-for the most part, classics should be left alone!

Saw the last half of New York-New York recently-what are the views on this? Was it really based around Doris' autobiography?- Singer/ abusive musician husband; little boy; split; superstardom?

webmaster

Don't know the answer to that, Jas.

pillowtalk said "But when you get to the point that you have to remake a movie for the FOURTH time, I think it's time to be creative and write something fresh". That made me think of "Dracula" - it's been remade so many times - and I heard Christopher Lee say recently that no one has yet made a version that is true to the original novel. Or is that something different? :)

TCMMovieFan

Jas1 wrote:I agree-for the most part, classics should be left alone!

Saw the last half of New York-New York recently-what are the views on this? Was it really based around Doris' autobiography?- Singer/ abusive musician husband; little boy; split; superstardom?
Yes NY, NY was largely based on Doris' first marriage to Al Jordan ! Albeit quite loosely.
Although the movie's opening scene showed much promise and started off impressively...somewhere this movie lost ground and only the title song is still remembered today.

webmaster

Doris Day 1998 Biography Show Ad on A & E
ADM Supermarkets To the World ran this paper advertisement that came from a 1998 magazine and features, Doris Day, A&E Biography Show. Here is a nice retro style magazine ad offering a colorful Doris.
http://www.bambootrading.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4397

Pettles

Unread post by Pettles »

Are A&E Biographies available on DVD, even VHS, or any other type of recordings for home viewing?

I've tried to find anything on Doris biographies on the A&E web site, but if they exist for sale they're evading me.

Know of another source that might have such things?

I know that I've seen advertisements for A&E biographies and for biographies on other channels too.

animal lover

Bixby
Forum Friend

Unread post by Bixby »

I just bought mine from amazon.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

come on, guys.. Someone tried to do a "spoofalike" of a DD movie...it bombed. THERE IS SIMPLY NO REPLACEMENT.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Glad to see in the ad that Doris got top billing!

daybyday08
Honorary Member

animal lover wrote:Are A&E Biographies available on DVD, even VHS, or any other type of recordings for home viewing?

I've tried to find anything on Doris biographies on the A&E web site, but if they exist for sale they're evading me.

I know that I've seen advertisements for A&E biographies and for biographies on other channels too.

animal lover
I couldn't find any for a low price but if you check eBay frequently and amazon I'm sure someone will have one for sale for a cheaper price. Sorry!!
- Dominique

daybyday08
Honorary Member

animal lover wrote:Are A&E Biographies available on DVD, even VHS, or any other type of recordings for home viewing?

animal lover
I couldn't find it for a low price to buy but if you check amazon and eBay frequently I'm sure somebody will put it up for sale.

This one is on youtube :
- Dominique

Pettles

Unread post by Pettles »

I just read that "Clint Eastwood is planning a remake of "A Star Is Born", with Beyonce Knowles in the role previously played by Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland and Janet Gaynor"...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... -role.html

Clint? No. Just no to Beyonce.

If there's any star in or of Hollywood - that would be Doris. Every new entertainment venue she ventured into was an instant star status for her.

No one has ever beat that, and probably will never.