New York film locations for Please Don’t Eat the Daisies

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

New York film locations for Please Don’t Eat the Daisies

Unread post by webmaster »

Does anyone know anything about New York film locations for Please Don’t Eat the Daisies?

I've received the email below about the subject. IMDb lists only:
Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York City - no other details

Dear Bryan,

I run a website dedicated to New York film locations and I’m about to add Please Don’t Eat the Daisies. Unfortunately, I’m at a loss for actual locations as most of the film has been shot on a stage. However, I suspect that the restaurant scene was shot at a real New York location, with plenty of cartoon-framed pictures on the wall, I was wondering if you knew of any actual locations used.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Mark

W: http://www.onthesetofnewyork.com
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Bixby
Forum Friend

Re: New York film locations for Please Don’t Eat the Daisies

Unread post by Bixby »

Isn't that suppose to be the famous Sardi's restaurant?

webmaster

Yes, you are right - it says "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" was shot there in the Wikipedia section:

Sardi's on film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardi's

Thank you.

Anyone know any more places?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

That particular scene pictured above was not filmed at Sardi's. The scene where Janis Paige slaps David Niven was a facsimile of Sardi's. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of the film was shot in Hollywood. There may have been some location footage thrown into the mix, but I don't think DD came to New York for the shooting.
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

I respect your opinion, Howard, but the IMDb does say that scenes were shot at Washington Square Park, Greenwich Village and Wikipedia lists:

Movies that have filmed scenes in Sardi's include:
The Velvet Touch with Rosalind Russell (1948)
The Country Girl with Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and William Holden (1954)
But Not for Me with Clark Gable (1959)
Please Don't Eat the Daisies, with Doris Day (1960)
Critic's Choice (1963) - While this Bob Hope–Lucille Ball film was shot in Hollywood, the Sardi's interior was authentically recreated with menus, plates, and memorabilia sent from the restaurant.
No Way to Treat a Lady (1968)

Perhaps Doris didn't go to New York but the production team did? - certainly many scenes were shot there - the opening scenes where the children drop water-bombs from their apartment on passers-by below is a New York location, isn't it? And David Niven initially teaches at Columbia University in New York before taking up his job as a critic so I wonder if that was included?

Perhaps some of you familiar with New York would be kind enough to watch the film again? :?:

webmaster

Just came across this:

"Please Don't Eat the Daisies" House on the Market: An Intimate Tour"

Until her death on January 5, 2003, this was the home of humorist and playwright Jean Kerr, memorialized in “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies.” The book was made into a 1960 movie starring Doris Day and David Niven.

http://larchmontgazette.com/2003/featur ... house.html

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I've been to NYC many times and that sure looks exactly like Sardi's. My father grew up in Manhattan and he says it must have been filmed there since it looks exactly like it. I'm thinking she would have shot there for a little bit.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

howard wrote:That particular scene pictured above was not filmed at Sardi's. The scene where Janis Paige slaps David Niven was a facsimile of Sardi's. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of the film was shot in Hollywood. There may have been some location footage thrown into the mix, but I don't think DD came to New York for the shooting.
Well Howard,I have given it some thought and as for instance,Midnight Lace was intirely shot in Hollywood,the thought comes to mind Doris was not in NY for Sardi's.Could it be they made a replicacorner for this shot?Image
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I don't know the answer to this at all, however, what I do know is that Doris never looked better than in this scene- so chic, a fabulous outfit!

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Hollywood set designers can work wonders in recreating famous locales. I really don't think DD came to New York for this film. As I recall it, she didn't make the NY premiere of "Pillow Talk," because she was in the midst of filming "Daisies." I think that's what I read.
Like Irene Dunne done.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Well it certainly can be said it is like Sardi's interior and the location is set.
Where and how the interiorshots where made leave me with an open question
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

According to MGM and "Daisies" producer, Joe Pasternak's production notes, all interior's of Sardi's were created at the MGM studio by the film's production team. Exteriors were shot of Sardi's and hundreds of photographs of the interior were taken and then brought to MGM's Culver City studio where they were recreated on the soundstage. Doris Day did not travel to NYC to shoot any signs of the picture although a second unit for the film spent time in New York City shooting and these shots were used in the film. Likewise, when MGM filmed "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?" in the summer and fall of 1967, a second unit went to NYC to shoot scenes, but all of Miss Day's scenes were shot at MGM. She was very reticent about going on location, although she did spend time in New York when "Lover Come Back" had some location filming and spent some time in New York City around the time of shooting "It Happened to Jane" in Connecticut. She liked the New York City of that time and she and Marty would sometimes travel into the City to see a show when they drove to Western Massachusetts to spend time with Marty's family. It was during one of those trips that they attended the Broadway musical, "The Sound of Music" starring Mary Martin. Other shows they attended included "Gypsy" with Ethel Merman and "Wonderful Town" starring Rosalind Russell.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Paul- as always: a wealth of information; thanks for sharing.

webmaster

Agree there, Jas, thanks Paul.

(I'm looking forward to Paul's new book about his experiences with the Hollywood glitterati, including Doris and Rock, Elizabeth Taylor and others. Have you heard about it?)

Also Doris made several films at the tail-end of her career supposedly based in Europe but filmed on the 'back lot'. "Do Not Disturb" was laughable, "Caprice" was obviously NOT Doris skiing down a mountain and being filmed from the back from a distance in Paris or somewhere - ditto "Midnight Lace" when she went to the British Embassy but otherwise the locations in that film were less 'faked' than in the others.

But film is all about your imagination anyway so I can live with that as long as it's well done.

New York film locations for Please Don’t Eat the Daisies page:
http://www.onthesetofnewyork.com/please ... isies.html