Doris Day Birthday Broadcasts & Events April 3 2011

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Pam
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Birthday Broadcasts & Events April 3 2011

Unread post by Pam »

Thank you so much, Bry, for your wonderful info on Doris's Birthday Web site... http://www.baltimorenet.com ...listening now to Paul Brogan's interview... Awesome! I called in a "Happy Birthday" to our Doris, at the Baltimorenet radio show today :D

You're in my heart!

Sending Thanks, Hugs and My Best ~ Pam :D

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Lovely to see you post, Pam - always think about you even if I don't reply to holiday greetings - such as your recent St Patrick's Day good wishes, which prompted me to celebrate the event being Ango-Irish!

Hope you've had a Doris Day. :P

xx
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

Thanks for the show, Frednet - great stuff.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yes, fabulous.

Don't know how I missed the Janis Paige interview- was it at the very start? I missed the first 10 minutes or so, but heard the rest, great show, enjoyed it all very much and Paul's interview was great. Couldn't be too long - for me!

Neilan Tyree

Today's Birthday Girls: Di Tyree (Mom) +Doris Day!

Unread post by Neilan Tyree »

I think of Ms. Day every year and frequently include some reference to her on my Mother's birthday cards.

It's not ONLY because they share April 3 as a birthday.

It's because...they could be sisters. Look-a-likes to be sure. But, most of all, they both have the same ebullient, joyful spirit and are great-looking, fashionable and fun gals. Only difference? No offense, Mother, but let's just say that my mother's not going to give Ms. Day any competition in the singing department!

But I'm not kidding when I say they are pretty darn alike. In fact, as a kid, I was REALLY confused by Ms. Day on TV because I actually thought, "What's Mother doing on TV! And I haven't seen her wearing THAT hat!" (That was when both Di and Doris could be seen sporting some PRETTY crazy chapeaus!) So like Ms. Day in the 60s (and to this very day, for that matter), Mother REALLY knows how to wear a HAT!

So this birthday wish to Ms. Day is from Mother's entire extended family. She and dad Henry Tyree raised my brother, sister and me in beautiful Florence, Alabama and we started including Doris in our thoughts and fun every April 3 WAY back when. Mother now lives in Jacksonville, Florida to be near my sister Tinnon, her husband, their three terrific kids and her marvelous in-laws. My brother Henry Jr. and his wife also now live at the beach there.

I'm in Hollywood, CA and you can bet that I brought Ms. Day up again when singing Happy Birthday to Mother just now after her surprise party there at the beach today. Mom is now 83 and just as fabulous as ever. And I hope Ms. Day is feeling JUST as terrific as our mother and imagine she is. We ALL know Doris Day is fabulous. Now and forever. Just like my mom!

webmaster

It was very near the beginning, Jas, so perhaps it was in the first 10 mins. She sounded very gracious and 'real' and it was very interesting to think that the person speaking had been working with Doris on her first film in 1948 and later in 1960 in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies". She said she could tell that Doris was going to be a big star after watching her work on the set of "Romance on the High Seas".

It's fantastic that Doris is still strongly remembered but sad that her co-workers like Janice Paige seem to be almost forgotten - although not by us!

webmaster

Welcome to the forum, Neilan - thanks for sharing that.

Happy Birthday to your mother also, from the Doris Day Forum. :)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

It is always so easy to remember Doris' birthday since it is just 2 weeks before mine. Happy birthday dear Doris, and may you have many more to come.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Oh, I'm starting to feel sad I'm not with you guys in Carmel! Two years ago I was in Carmel on Doris' birthday and was so wonderful to be with other fans. And, I was in Carmel on Christmas day, and that sure was beautiful, so I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself now! :D I'm fine!
I wish Doris Day the best birthday yet!!! I love her so much! xoxoxox

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Hi Mike well you were right. a great surprise you had in store the Birthday Girl herself calling in and leaving a message. she sounded great, so glad Doris herself likes everything you are doing. The music was all just great. love the Lush and Lovely ballads, I know Doris would be so please the way you put them all together. and Carol the Scrapbook was just beautiful, also enjoy the forum. fun, fun. Susan thank you for all your hard work also and your beautiful music. Mike has a great team making sampod4u great!! :D

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Can someone tell me how to upload a picture of Doris. every time I try I get the same message, could not upload attachment. what am I doing wrong? :( Would like to delete this but when I hit edit it don't give that option :(

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

I would like to go on record as saying a great big thank you to everyone who paid tribute to Doris Day on her birthday. It seems that each year more and more entities - newspapers, radio stations, television and all forms of media - pause and take a little time to acknowledge the greatness of the lady we all respect and admire so very much. Hearing comments from fans cannot help but bring tears to our eyes and that mass love only reinfoces what we have all been saying and feeling for all these years.

In particular the efforts of a group of tireless individuals who worked so hard to pay tribute to Doris Day with the wonderful programs we were fortunate enough to have available for our listening pleasure.

Keith, Mary Anne, Diane and the folks at Frednetradio did a great job of combining music, memories, interviews and a nice cross section of music that showed the amazing vocal ability that Miss Day has. Thank you all.

What can we say about Mike that hasn't been said before? It is so obvious that he has a deep and heartfelt love for Doris Day and the show that he, Carol and the others put together was another shining example of why we feel like we do about Doris Day.

It is my personal feeling that there can never be enough tribute shows to a lady who has influenced millions of lives. The more the better!! I don't feel there was any sense of competition between shows because each shined with its own merits and special moments and everyone who made this possible deserves a great big thank you and a wealth of blessings.

For us Doris Day fans and admirers, helping the rest of the world understand and recognize the greatness that makes Doris Day a true icon, is so rewarding. In addition, getting in more than a few words about helping the "Four leggers" all over the globe is a message that resonates and is probably the best birthday gift Miss Day could have.

Thank you again - all of you - for working hard and focusing on what ultimately matters - spreading the unselfish love and goodness that is Doris Day. Whatever will be will be even better because Doris Day provides an inspiration to all of us to be as good as we can be.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Beautiful post Paul! :D

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Wonderful post Paul, Thank you.
Miss Day sound great, hoping she had a great time.

Here is the 'Magic63' broadcasting" It is small, but she sound great, hope there will be more.

webmaster

From Peggy Poage:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR MORE YEARS TO COME!

DORIS I HAVE SEEN ALL OF YOUR MOVIES AND LOVED THEM ALL.
I AM 79 YEARS OLD AND REMEMBER ALL YOUR SONGS AND MOVIES.
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES,

GOD BLESS YOU,

PEGGY

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

Paul, I really appreciate your nice reply, I agree with you about there should be no competition between the ones who are putting shows together for Doris, after all our main focus should be Doris. and if we are true Doris Day fans we should be proud of any thing nice that is done for this sweet lady. so I appreciate what all you said, and how you complimented each one who put a show together. let's all make our focus be on Doris. and try to do what we know that would please her. but I really enjoyed your nice reply Paul very well said. :wink:

Kitty

Unread post by Kitty »

It is so lovely to hear Doris' voice even tho not 'live' at this time (almost 2 days later) but to actually hear her and sounding well and happy. Thank you so much for broadcasting this - it has made my DAY.
Kitty

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Those of us who were fortunate enough to be in Carmel over the weekend were treated to a lively concert by pianist Jim Martinez and vocalist Laura Didier at the Cypress Inn. They performed two shows to a packed house of enthusiastic "two-leggers and four-leggers" on Sunday evening. Jim and Laura are both engaging performers who strike me as very sincere in their respect and admiration for Doris. The show included a slide presentation to set-up each song and provide a simple narrative to trace the history of Doris' recordings.

The highlight of the evening was when Doris spoke to the crowd via speakerphone. She sounded terrific -- very gracious and thrilled that so many people turned out for the show. We may not have been blessed by her physical presence, but her positive energy filled the room over the phone. What did Terry once say about her unique way with a song? Something about conveying the smile behind a lyric, I believe. Well, I thought of that Sunday night when I glanced around the room as she was speaking. Everyone was smiling, including the four-leggers, and I would have to think long and hard to remember a moment when so many people forgot their troubles and let the music take them to another place.

Without a doubt, the magic is still there in spades.

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Thanks for sharing Michael - sounds wonderful.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

just want to add Paul,you put the thoughts of many in your post,unselfishness & goodness brings people
together anyway.And as for Michael,I can understand the serene atmosphere hearing Doris' voice at he Cypress Inn.Afterall,she is an icon who stands for class and understanding and above all humanity.Thanks for sharing this with us.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Paul for sharing this lovely story, it must be a great experience, to hear her voice and her music, I can imagine how the rest should feel, warm and full of love and respect for such a great, wonderful and amazing woman.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

I think it would be wonderful to be in Carmel and share the love with all of Doris' legion of fans on her birthday..even better, if we could give her and her "babies" all great big hugs, in person!
Here in Baltimore, a group of us celebrated her day, toasted her with nice glasses of wine, listened to her music and shared a birthday cake, too. She brings out the best in mostly everyone.
Good Comments, Paul. It looks like there were myriads of celebrations all over the world, and she deserves all of them. HIP HIP HOORAY.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

I agree Mike, it was so much fun sharing comments back and forth with all the members of sampod on Doris Birthday, and looking at the beautiful scrapbook Carol made for Doris with her friends sending Birthday wishes, I heard she really liked it. enjoyed all the beautiful music you put together, the whole day was fun, I am still going back and listening to the beautiful "Lush and Lovely ballads you put together" :wink:

webmaster

The Canadian author/producer Pierre Patrick talks about his latest project, the book "Doris Day Paper Dolls Featuring 24 Fashions from Her Films" and the new Doris Day CD, DVD & Blu-Ray releases due later in 2011.

On this audio clip Pierre chats with DJ Kevin Kahl at Doris Day's local radio station KIDD-630 AM (formerly MAGIC 63 AM) during the station's special radio broadcast celebrating the star's April 3rd 2011 birthday.

Barbara

www.sampod4u.com

Unread post by Barbara »

Look for new subject "JUST DORIS" All Doris Music Great!!!! :D